All-Rookie Teams Announced

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

All-Rookie Teams Announced 

Post#1 » by mkwest » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:28 pm

Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls and O.J. Mayo of the Memphis Grizzlies were unanimous selections to the 2008-09 T-Mobile NBA All-Rookie First Team, the NBA announced today.

Rounding out the T-Mobile NBA All-Rookie First Team are Oklahoma City's Russell Westbrook (53 points), New Jersey's Brook Lopez (49 points) and Miami's Michael Beasley (44 points).

The T-Mobile NBA All-Rookie Second Team consists of the Los Angeles Clippers' Eric Gordon (39 points), Minnesota's Kevin Love (34 points), Miami's Mario Chalmers (29 points), Memphis' Marc Gasol (25 points), Charlotte's D.J. Augustin (tie, 17 points) and Portland's Rudy Fernandez (tie, 17 points).

The voting panel consisted of the NBA's 30 head coaches, who were asked to select five players for the first team and five players for the second team, regardless of position. Coaches were not permitted to vote for players on their own team. Two points were awarded for first team votes and one for second team votes.

Code: Select all

2008-09 T-MOBILE NBA ALL-ROOKIE FIRST TEAM
Player (Team)    First-place votes    Second-place votes    Total
Derrick Rose (Bulls)    29    --    58
O.J. Mayo (Grizzlies)    29    --    59
Russell Westbrook (Thunder)    24    5    53
Brook Lopez (Nets)    21    7    49
Michael Beasley (Heat)    17    10    44

2008-09 T-MOBILE NBA ALL-ROOKIE SECOND TEAM
Player (Team)    First-place votes    Second-place votes    Total
Eric Gordon (Clippers)    13    13    39
Kevin Love (Timberwolves)    7    20    34
Mario Chalmers (Heat)    5    19    29
Marc Gasol (Grizzlies)    2    21    25
D.J. Augustin (Bobcats)    --    17    17
Rudy Fernandez (Blazers)    --    17    17

NBA.com
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Re: All-Rookie Teams Announced 

Post#2 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:12 pm

I'm not sure how Beasley made it over Gordon, but if it goes by position that would be the only reason why he made it on the first team.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
SportsFan215
Assistant Coach
And1: 60

Post#3 » by SportsFan215 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:25 pm

I would like to see those 2 teams play against each other.
PlinkingPanda
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#4 » by PlinkingPanda » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:53 pm

thanumba2clippersfan wrote:I'm not sure how Beasley made it over Gordon, but if it goes by position that would be the only reason why he made it on the first team.

Pretty much. Sucks to see Gordon not make first team, but we can pretty much blame Dunleavy for that.

I wonder if Love is going to whine any more about not getting more recognition. :roll:
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#5 » by mkwest » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:46 pm

Congrats to Eric for being selected to the 2nd team. He is joined by a lot of talented players on the 2nd team.

The votes were regardless of position. With that said, Beasley should not be on the first team. Beasley and Love both have 27 of 29 votes. Gordon only has 26. I would not be surprised if either McHale or Spoelstra were one of the 3 coaches to not vote him on either team since they had players that would be close in votes. Both Gordon and Love had more Rookie of the Year votes than Beasley, but he has jumped them both in all-rookie voting.

It's disappointing, but I'm glad that we have a focused, hard working and efficient young player with a lot of potential. Hopefully we will add another in the draft.
JJ LoDuca
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#6 » by JJ LoDuca » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:45 pm

It's still an honor to be selected to an All-Rookie team, so congrats to him.

So how pissed is K. Love right now?
-Ms. JJ
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Post#7 » by illastrate » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:55 pm

EJ got robbed. Beasley? Are you serious. I demand a revote, eliminate those hanging chads.
mattafact
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#8 » by mattafact » Fri May 1, 2009 12:24 am

Wow Gordon gets robbed again, for Westbrook?! I don't understand the infatuation with Westbrook when he shoots under 40% and is the 3rd option on his team. Gordon was probably the first and only option for the Clippers on many nights, sadly for him. Gordon shoulda been first team with Rose in the backcourt, slip in Mayo at 3 if it's gotta be specific positions.
PlinkingPanda
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#9 » by PlinkingPanda » Fri May 1, 2009 3:07 am

mkwest wrote:Congrats to Eric for being selected to the 2nd team. He is joined by a lot of talented players on the 2nd team.

The votes were regardless of position. With that said, Beasley should not be on the first team. Beasley and Love both have 27 of 29 votes. Gordon only has 26. I would not be surprised if either McHale or Spoelstra were one of the 3 coaches to not vote him on either team since they had players that would be close in votes. Both Gordon and Love had more Rookie of the Year votes than Beasley, but he has jumped them both in all-rookie voting.

It's disappointing, but I'm glad that we have a focused, hard working and efficient young player with a lot of potential. Hopefully we will add another in the draft.

Hmm.. I thought these things are based on position. If not then yes he got screwed badly. Even if it was based on position, Gordon and Love can easily replace Westbrook and Beasley. But whatever~ arguing about it won't change a thing.
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#10 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Fri May 1, 2009 1:28 pm

We are all a little disappointed but this won't change how good of an NBA player Gordon can become. This may even make him work harder because he didn't make the All Rookie First Team. He can show all the coaches he didn't vote for him to be on the First Team and he can show that he is one of the best players drafted in his class.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!

Return to Los Angeles Clippers