ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers Fattest Team in the NBA

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

mattfish
Senior
And1: 0

Clippers Fattest Team in the NBA 

Post#1 » by mattfish » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:58 pm

ESPN article claiming the Clippers are the fattest team in the NBA by measurement of BMI. BMI isn't an accurate measure of "fat" but we do have Baron on our team...

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/23776/putting-the-nba-to-the-fat-test

Hayes Davenport of CelticsHub, evidently lacking appropriate hobbies, spent a lot of time calculating NBA players' body mass index.

What he found was that -- assuming the published heights and weights of NBA players are correct -- the Clippers are the fattest team in the NBA, followed closely by the Celtics.
Recently
Senior
And1: 1

Re: Clippers Fattest Team in the NBA 

Post#2 » by Recently » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:46 pm

Aside from the fact that everyone lies about their weight, i'm a bit suprised we are ahead of the celtics considering they have both shaq, and glen davis.
mattfish
Senior

Post#3 » by mattfish » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:10 pm

Maybe that's why our players are always hurt. They're too heavy! Imagine if we had Big Sofo on our roster...
supfoo
Junior

Post#4 » by supfoo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:21 pm

i won't harp on it too much because it was apparently a fan endeavor and it's cool that he took the time out his personal life to research this, but bmi is a horrible measurement of "fitness" for anyone with a significant amount of muscle mass (see athletes). even guys like glen davis and baron davis, players widely perceived as "fat" players, are capable to playing nba-level basketball for a solid 30-40 minutes if needed, which requires a level of fitness that 90% of the general population don't possess. it's just that their body-types gives their body a rounder shape than their peers so they don't look as fit as their leaner counterparts do.
"The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones." - Confucius
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,431

Post#5 » by TheNewEra » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:38 am

Well you think about it most of our players are bulky. Gordon, Davis, Gomes, Kaman, Smith, etc
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,293

Post#6 » by playaloc916 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:57 am

TheNewEra wrote:Well you think about it most of our players are bulky. Gordon, Davis, Gomes, Kaman, Smith, etc

Add Diogu and Collins to the list. We definitely seem to have mostly solid players. Maybe if Livingston was still on or team, we'd be lower by a few teams. :lol:
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#7 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:10 am

TheNewEra wrote:Well you think about it most of our players are bulky. Gordon, Davis, Gomes, Kaman, Smith, etc

I guess that's the reason why we are the "fattest team." I had to take the time to think for a moment of who exactly on the team might be considered fat. I wouldn't consider any of the players fat, maybe bulky but not fat.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#8 » by mkwest » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:46 am

The only "thin" players we have are Butler and Aminu. Kaman has been on the lean side. Most of our guys are solid to a little pudgy. I'm fine with that and I'm not too concerned with this stat. Livy was ridiculously thin. I want to see Rouq add some muscle this offseason, because he's a little too lean imo.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers