Re: Clippers roster, what's next? 

Post#101 » by James2000 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:04 pm

I like favors and Tristan Thompson
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,829

Post#102 » by SK21209 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:25 pm

I think veteran role players is the right track, as opposed to trying to find another star-ish player. I like Ibaka or Dragic as free agency targets with the MLE and Satoransky, Tyus Jones, or maybe Derrick Rose as trade targets.
maternal85
Starter
And1: 1,736

Post#103 » by maternal85 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:48 pm

donemilio21 wrote:This year was it. We had to get to the finals this year, so we could have leverage to get FAs sign with us for vet minimums. That's how we got our deep roster and of course by using last of our draft picks. So we are really stuck with our current roster, we can sign guys we have bird rights to. that's it really.

Furthermore teams are preparing for the Giannis sweepstakes. A few teams won't take on any salary if they feel they have a chance to sign him.
maternal85
Starter
And1: 1,736

Post#104 » by maternal85 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:49 pm

SK21209 wrote:I think veteran role players is the right track, as opposed to trying to find another star-ish player. I like Ibaka or Dragic as free agency targets with the MLE and Satoransky, Tyus Jones, or maybe Derrick Rose as trade targets.

Ibaka and Dragic are worth more than the MLE. Even if they aren't, I doubt they'd leave their current situation.
jengmann3
Sophomore
And1: 96

Post#105 » by jengmann3 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:12 am

I like the idea of going all in on an identity. That's why I hated them not playing Noah at all during the post season, especially when Jokic was going off. Perhaps Kris Dunn and getting a defensive big (Ibaka) to solidify themselves as a great defensive team. Watching Miami and LA shows how important having a mobile big is.
Aaron Gordon would be a great pick up as well to replace Mook and Trez if needed.
I like the D Rose idea as well. I just don't really love having him, Lou, and Shamet.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#106 » by TheNewEra » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:05 pm

Kris Dunn and Tristan would be strong backups
James2000
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#107 » by James2000 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:32 pm

TheNewEra wrote:Kris Dunn and Tristan would be strong backups

I don't think much about kris Dunn. Can anyone tell me about him?

How about Andre Drummond? He got only one year left, and if he struggled, he won't be resigned.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,162

Post#108 » by og15 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:20 pm

Dunn doesn't seem affordable, but it's unlikely he would want to join the team to be a backup
SK21209
Lead Assistant

Post#109 » by SK21209 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:43 pm

James2000 wrote:

I don't think much about kris Dunn. Can anyone tell me about him?

How about Andre Drummond? He got only one year left, and if he struggled, he won't be resigned.

The knock on him in Detroit was that he was lazy and would show up with a great game every now and again and then coast for a week afterwards. We definitely don't need another guy who won't take the regular season seriously. Plus there is no way he declines his player option, no one else is paying him close to that.
James2000
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#110 » by James2000 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:49 pm

Here is a question to ask.. would you find a cheap center you pay alot for one year to have enough cap space to sign 2021 free agents or do you extend amount of years while not be in the race next offseasons for one of the top free agents?
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,744

Post#111 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:50 pm

SK21209 wrote:I think veteran role players is the right track, as opposed to trying to find another star-ish player. I like Ibaka or Dragic as free agency targets with the MLE and Satoransky, Tyus Jones, or maybe Derrick Rose as trade targets.

We already have 2 max-level stars. We don't need another one, we need a good complementary roster surrounding them. If we somehow trade for another star-level player, it'll likely leave us with even more holes unless there's some really good deal to be had somewhere.

We had a really fun, over-achieving team in 2018-2019, and I took the logic that adding 2 superstars to that (minus SGA and Danilo of course) would give us a championship roster.

We should have gone further than we did (credit to Denver though), but I think we really need a more standard rotation, and not a mix-and-match of complementary players with nice strengths but significant weaknesses. That can work for a 50 win team, but not one with title aspirations. It's one thing to beat lesser teams with their own holes so yours don't matter so much, but complete teams will exploit you- especially in the playoffs when rotations get tighter.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#112 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:00 pm

James2000 wrote:While I understand completely what you mean. However, let's be real here. This game should have been over by game 5 or at worst game 6. The center play has been atrocious with Harrell and zubac been a defensive liability and offense really suck.

In addition the players weren't being aggressive going to the hoop and were trying to draw a foul on the nuggets which wasn't successful. This is why I prefer the 80s ok 90s players because they don't try to play cute like trying to play in the refs hands. They played rugged and dominated their opponent

Our offense became a quagmire of forced iso's when the opposing team's defense tightened up, I think there were few lanes to the hoop even if they tried harder (not disagreeing with your point though.) The only player with the skills to consistently iso with any efficiency or consistency is Kawhi, but by Game 7 even he was out of bullets.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#113 » by nickhx2 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:11 pm

i was thinking that gallo coming back would make this team very happy. not sure how that's possible, though
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#114 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:25 pm

nickhx2 wrote:i was thinking that gallo coming back would make this team very happy. not sure how that's possible, though

Right- he had a healthy season which has always been the biggest concern with him. Our sign-and-trade for him was pretty good in retrospect, main asset we gave up was a Houston 1st round pick.

I'm curious what he'll get this offseason. I mean even if we had cap space, if his contract is too high then it's not worth us picking up another forward.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 918

Post#115 » by NickP » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:50 pm

We need to understand one thing very clearly pertaining to all these roster discussions. Doc Rivers has a lot of clout within the organization. There are certain players that do not fit Doc's style of coaching. He does not like players questioning him or even show borderline unhappiness.
This is why he didn't play Noah. This is why he didn't probably sign off on getting Howard or McGee. He cannot manage those guys.
The FOs hands are tied because Ball(less)mer cannot fire Doc.
SK21209
Lead Assistant

Post#116 » by SK21209 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:28 pm

NickP wrote:We need to understand one thing very clearly pertaining to all these roster discussions. Doc Rivers has a lot of clout within the organization. There are certain players that do not fit Doc's style of coaching. He does not like players questioning him or even show borderline unhappiness.
This is why he didn't play Noah. This is why he didn't probably sign off on getting Howard or McGee. He cannot manage those guys.
The FOs hands are tied because Ball(less)mer cannot fire Doc.

I'm okay with the FO passing on Howard, even when we've seen him play well this season in hindsight. The last four teams he was on before the Lakers were ecstatic to see him leave for a reason. He's behaved himself this year because LeBron is there, but I think he would have only contributed to the lackluster team chemistry for us.

Beyond any roster tinkering, the #1 thing this team needs is a healthy Paul George with a better mindset. We could sign an awesome, defensive backup center and solid playmaking point guard and still not get any farther if PG isn't playing like a top 15 player in the league every night. Right now we're seeing how much LeBron and AD are covering up the very real deficiencies with the Lakers' roster. PG is never going to be as good as AD, but there's no reason why he can't be playing at least at the level of Jimmy Butler or even Jamal **** Murray. Hopefully he's been embarrassed enough by how the season ended that he'll be motivated to make a change. If not, someone needs to intervene and set him straight.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#117 » by TheNewEra » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:05 am

I’m still confused why in the hell did we sign Noah and never use him? Harrell was terrible and outmatched and we signed Noah for that very need
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#118 » by TucsonClip » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:51 am

Noah was always an emergency option. He doesn't have anything left in the tank.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#119 » by esqtvd » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:08 am

TucsonClip wrote:Noah was always an emergency option. He doesn't have anything left in the tank.

yah, I figured he must have looked so pathetic in practice you couldn't trot him out there
coming off an Achilles at age 35 in less than a year is NOT gonna happen, lets get real

but by all accounts he mentored Zubac, who was easily our MIP in the Bubble [our ONLY improved player in the Bubble lol]

Noah earned his money
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 918

Post#120 » by NickP » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:36 pm

TheNewEra wrote:I’m still confused why in the hell did we sign Noah and never use him? Harrell was terrible and outmatched and we signed Noah for that very need

Exactly. I'm not buying the playing shape theory. You have a 7 footer. For God's sake use him for variety. Use him to hack Jokic and disturb his rhythm.
Doc didn't want to go away from his favorite player, Trez.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers