ImageImageImageImageImage

Going Forward to Next Season(2021 Nba Draft #25)

Moderators: TrueLAfan, QRich3, og15

TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
Posts: 7,773
And1: 885
Joined: Apr 11, 2001

Re: Going Forward to Next Season(2021 Nba Draft #25) 

Post#81 » by TrueLAfan » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:45 pm

Yeah, McBride would be terrific. Tough, good all around game, super fast, terrific length lets him play bigger than his size. Reminds me of Bledsoe. Doubt he’ll be around when we’re picking but we can always hope.

We’ve also had workouts for Matthew Hurt and Kyree Walker, who have mid to late second rounder written all over them. So we’re clearly looking at players available at two different levels.

The other guy we’ve apparently worked out that would be for #25 is Nah’Shon Hyland. He’d be great too but, again, don’t know if he’ll last to #25.

One thing that seems obvious—we aren’t looking at project. Hyland and McBride have a couple of years of experience each. They’re still young, but could play meaningful minutes right off the bat. Same with Dosunmu and Jared Butler (and probably Tre Mann). The sleeper is that Spanish frontcourt guy, Usman Garuba. But he’s playing at the top level of Euroleague right now, at 19, so I classify him as ready for minutes as well. I really think it’ll be one of those guys.
Image
User avatar
madmaxmedia
General Manager
Posts: 9,024
And1: 4,331
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal
     

Re: Going Forward to Next Season(2021 Nba Draft #25) 

Post#82 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:20 pm

Projections for McBride seem to be anywhere from early to late twenties, so we might have a shot if we want him.

I guess the more weird (non-consensus) picks before us, the more likely one of our late 1st round targets will be available to us (unless we are targeting one of those non-conensus guys of course.) So that's what I'll be rooting for all the way until our pick.
Bobbymcgee
Senior
Posts: 530
And1: 324
Joined: Jul 03, 2015
 

Re: Going Forward to Next Season(2021 Nba Draft #25) 

Post#83 » by Bobbymcgee » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:38 pm

I think the Clippers will try and run back the same team as last year if they can. Even though Leonard is most likely lost for the year due to his surgery.

- Try to re-sign Jackson and Batum if they are willing to take what the Clippers can afford to offer them

- Hope that the younger players (Zubac, Kennard, and Mann) continue to improve next season with the assumed extended playing time

Personally, I would like the Clippers to look into acquiring a big man that doesn't get killed against the opposing team's P&R the way Zubac does. Also, upgrade the back-up point guard position from Rondo and Beverly if possible.
ejftw
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,403
And1: 831
Joined: Nov 30, 2008
Contact:
         

Re: Going Forward to Next Season(2021 Nba Draft #25) 

Post#84 » by ejftw » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:50 am

No way we can let PPatt go

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Smitty is a Twitter snowflake
wco81
RealGM
Posts: 13,616
And1: 5,267
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: Going Forward to Next Season(2021 Nba Draft #25) 

Post#85 » by wco81 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:23 am

Who is he laughing at?
User avatar
MartinToVaught
RealGM
Posts: 12,569
And1: 15,102
Joined: Oct 19, 2014
     

Re: Going Forward to Next Season(2021 Nba Draft #25) 

Post#86 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:35 am

wco81 wrote:Who is he laughing at?

The Suns, for being so cocky and arrogant while beating other teams' depleted MASH units and then getting exposed once they had to face a team that actually had all their stars.
Image
KL2
Senior
Posts: 678
And1: 326
Joined: Jul 09, 2019
Location: California
     

Re: Going Forward to Next Season(2021 Nba Draft #25) 

Post#87 » by KL2 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:12 pm

What’s up with these odds?

Read on Twitter
Roscoe Sheed
General Manager
Posts: 8,864
And1: 2,578
Joined: May 01, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Going Forward to Next Season(2021 Nba Draft #25) 

Post#88 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:28 pm

KL2 wrote:What’s up with these odds?

Read on Twitter

I don't make bets, so I don't really understand what this means
User avatar
madmaxmedia
General Manager
Posts: 9,024
And1: 4,331
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal
     

Re: Going Forward to Next Season(2021 Nba Draft #25) 

Post#89 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:06 pm

If you bet on Clippers, you bet $250 to win $100.
For all the other teams, you bet $100 to win $300, $400, etc.
In other words the Clippers are the odds on favorite.
ejftw
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,403
And1: 831
Joined: Nov 30, 2008
Contact:
         

Re: Going Forward to Next Season(2021 Nba Draft #25) 

Post#90 » by ejftw » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:18 am

Only Mavs, Knicks and Heat can navigate to have the cap space to poach him...and only Miami of the three fears me
Smitty is a Twitter snowflake
User avatar
donemilio21
Starter
Posts: 2,402
And1: 409
Joined: Aug 20, 2009
Location: Santa Barbara
   

Re: Going Forward to Next Season(2021 Nba Draft #25) 

Post#91 » by donemilio21 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:34 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
KL2 wrote:What’s up with these odds?

Read on Twitter

I don't make bets, so I don't really understand what this means

It's an Vegas invention really to encourage people to bet a minimum of $100. What it really means is that Clippers are given the highest chance by far to keep Kawhi while Wizards and 76ers are long shots.
If you were bet $1, you would win $0.40 for Clippers, $3 for the Knicks, $12 for 76ers.
User avatar
donemilio21
Starter
Posts: 2,402
And1: 409
Joined: Aug 20, 2009
Location: Santa Barbara
   

Re: Going Forward to Next Season(2021 Nba Draft #25) 

Post#92 » by donemilio21 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:34 am

both Ibaka and Kawhi have option deadlines of August 1st.
User avatar
esqtvd
Head Coach
Posts: 6,799
And1: 1,840
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: Going Forward to Next Season(2021 Nba Draft #25) 

Post#93 » by esqtvd » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:46 am

ejftw wrote:Only Mavs, Knicks and Heat can navigate to have the cap space to poach him...and only Miami of the three fears me


If Kawhi wants OUT, end of story, he's gone. And he can CHOOSE his destination.

If I'm Kawhi and terminally pissed off with the Clips medical staff and still wanting to stay near home, I opt out and force a S&T to the Dubs. Kawhi has a gun to our head. If he wants out, a S&T is our last hope to get ANYTHING back.

    A sign and trade between the Clippers and cross-town rival Warriors seem unlikely to happen, but if Leonard is deadset on leaving, the Clippers may have to consider their offer. A popular trade package that has been discussed involving the Warriors has been James Wiseman, Andrew Wiggins, the 7th overall pick, and the 14th pick. With this trade, the Clippers could have their center of the future in Wiseman. They would also get back some of the draft capital they gave away in the Paul George deal. Leonard on the Warriors is a scary thought, as a duo of him and Stephen Curry would instantly make them favorites to win the title.

https://lastwordonsports.com/basketball/2021/07/02/kawhi-leonard-free-agent-destinations/
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
Posts: 7,773
And1: 885
Joined: Apr 11, 2001

Re: Going Forward to Next Season(2021 Nba Draft #25) 

Post#94 » by TrueLAfan » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:44 pm

esqtvd wrote:
ejftw wrote:Only Mavs, Knicks and Heat can navigate to have the cap space to poach him...and only Miami of the three fears me


If Kawhi wants OUT, end of story, he's gone. And he can CHOOSE his destination.

If I'm Kawhi and terminally pissed off with the Clips medical staff and still wanting to stay near home, I opt out and force a S&T to the Dubs. Kawhi has a gun to our head. If he wants out, a S&T is our last hope to get ANYTHING back.

    A sign and trade between the Clippers and cross-town rival Warriors seem unlikely to happen, but if Leonard is deadset on leaving, the Clippers may have to consider their offer. A popular trade package that has been discussed involving the Warriors has been James Wiseman, Andrew Wiggins, the 7th overall pick, and the 14th pick. With this trade, the Clippers could have their center of the future in Wiseman. They would also get back some of the draft capital they gave away in the Paul George deal. Leonard on the Warriors is a scary thought, as a duo of him and Stephen Curry would instantly make them favorites to win the title.

https://lastwordonsports.com/basketball/2021/07/02/kawhi-leonard-free-agent-destinations/


I predicted the Golden State interest and offer in the Game 6 thread and said, and at the time meant, that I didn’t want to do the deal. People were ... displeased with my thoughts. And I still don’t want to do the deal. But make no mistake about it—that is a lot of raw power to offer for a player who isn’t likely to play much next year. Think of it this way. People were up in arms because we traded 3 picks and swapped picks, along with Gallo and SGA, to get Paul George. This offer is a #7 pick, and a #14 pick, which are likely to be worth (a lot) more than our picks going to OKC. And as much as I like SGA, Wiseman and Wiggins are much more valuable players than the two players we sent out. So, yeah, it’s a fair deal. I don’t want to take it—but if Kawhi and Co. are hell bent on leaving, that deal will make me feel a lot better.
Image
ejftw
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,403
And1: 831
Joined: Nov 30, 2008
Contact:
         

Re: Going Forward to Next Season(2021 Nba Draft #25) 

Post#95 » by ejftw » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:38 pm

esqtvd wrote:
ejftw wrote:Only Mavs, Knicks and Heat can navigate to have the cap space to poach him...and only Miami of the three fears me


If Kawhi wants OUT, end of story, he's gone. And he can CHOOSE his destination.

If I'm Kawhi and terminally pissed off with the Clips medical staff and still wanting to stay near home, I opt out and force a S&T to the Dubs. Kawhi has a gun to our head. If he wants out, a S&T is our last hope to get ANYTHING back.
Spoiler:
    A sign and trade between the Clippers and cross-town rival Warriors seem unlikely to happen, but if Leonard is deadset on leaving, the Clippers may have to consider their offer. A popular trade package that has been discussed involving the Warriors has been James Wiseman, Andrew Wiggins, the 7th overall pick, and the 14th pick. With this trade, the Clippers could have their center of the future in Wiseman. They would also get back some of the draft capital they gave away in the Paul George deal. Leonard on the Warriors is a scary thought, as a duo of him and Stephen Curry would instantly make them favorites to win the title.


https://lastwordonsports.com/basketball/2021/07/02/kawhi-leonard-free-agent-destinations/


Well, if he opts out, he can't go to GSW, unless they shed Klay and Dray (on top of wiggins) due to HC constraints. It would need to be an opt in and trade.

TrueLAfan wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
ejftw wrote:Only Mavs, Knicks and Heat can navigate to have the cap space to poach him...and only Miami of the three fears me


Spoiler:
If Kawhi wants OUT, end of story, he's gone. And he can CHOOSE his destination.

If I'm Kawhi and terminally pissed off with the Clips medical staff and still wanting to stay near home, I opt out and force a S&T to the Dubs. Kawhi has a gun to our head. If he wants out, a S&T is our last hope to get ANYTHING back.

    A sign and trade between the Clippers and cross-town rival Warriors seem unlikely to happen, but if Leonard is deadset on leaving, the Clippers may have to consider their offer. A popular trade package that has been discussed involving the Warriors has been James Wiseman, Andrew Wiggins, the 7th overall pick, and the 14th pick. With this trade, the Clippers could have their center of the future in Wiseman. They would also get back some of the draft capital they gave away in the Paul George deal. Leonard on the Warriors is a scary thought, as a duo of him and Stephen Curry would instantly make them favorites to win the title.


https://lastwordonsports.com/basketball/2021/07/02/kawhi-leonard-free-agent-destinations/


I predicted the Golden State interest and offer in the Game 6 thread and said, and at the time meant, that I didn’t want to do the deal. People were ... displeased with my thoughts. And I still don’t want to do the deal. But make no mistake about it—that is a lot of raw power to offer for a player who isn’t likely to play much next year. Think of it this way. People were up in arms because we traded 3 picks and swapped picks, along with Gallo and SGA, to get Paul George. This offer is a #7 pick, and a #14 pick, which are likely to be worth (a lot) more than our picks going to OKC. And as much as I like SGA, Wiseman and Wiggins are much more valuable players than the two players we sent out. So, yeah, it’s a fair deal. I don’t want to take it—but if Kawhi and Co. are hell bent on leaving, that deal will make me feel a lot better.


I'm really not sure anyone would agree that Wiggins nor Wiseman are more valuable than SEGA...its also hard to say that these picks are more valuable than what we sent to OKC, as after this trade, we'd probably end up in the lotto this coming season, giving OKC a chance at a top selection and who knows what four years down the line looks.
Smitty is a Twitter snowflake
User avatar
madmaxmedia
General Manager
Posts: 9,024
And1: 4,331
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal
     

Re: Going Forward to Next Season(2021 Nba Draft #25) 

Post#96 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:55 pm

esqtvd wrote:
ejftw wrote:Only Mavs, Knicks and Heat can navigate to have the cap space to poach him...and only Miami of the three fears me


If Kawhi wants OUT, end of story, he's gone. And he can CHOOSE his destination.

If I'm Kawhi and terminally pissed off with the Clips medical staff and still wanting to stay near home, I opt out and force a S&T to the Dubs. Kawhi has a gun to our head. If he wants out, a S&T is our last hope to get ANYTHING back.

    A sign and trade between the Clippers and cross-town rival Warriors seem unlikely to happen, but if Leonard is deadset on leaving, the Clippers may have to consider their offer. A popular trade package that has been discussed involving the Warriors has been James Wiseman, Andrew Wiggins, the 7th overall pick, and the 14th pick. With this trade, the Clippers could have their center of the future in Wiseman. They would also get back some of the draft capital they gave away in the Paul George deal. Leonard on the Warriors is a scary thought, as a duo of him and Stephen Curry would instantly make them favorites to win the title.

https://lastwordonsports.com/basketball/2021/07/02/kawhi-leonard-free-agent-destinations/


You're right, but much better for us if he wants to go to say a GSW rather than Mavs or Knicks since we'd get something back in a S&T. If he doesn't want to stay, hopefully it is one of these capped out teams and we can get some assets in return. Everything else is water under the bridge.

If I'm the Clipper FO, of course I'm trying to stay in communication with Kawhi, talk about the future, etc. As a fan I want him to stay (my guess is he will), but I'm not going to worry about it because it's out of our hands- he either wants to play here or not.
User avatar
madmaxmedia
General Manager
Posts: 9,024
And1: 4,331
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal
     

Re: Going Forward to Next Season(2021 Nba Draft #25) 

Post#97 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:59 pm

ejftw wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
ejftw wrote:Only Mavs, Knicks and Heat can navigate to have the cap space to poach him...and only Miami of the three fears me


If Kawhi wants OUT, end of story, he's gone. And he can CHOOSE his destination.

If I'm Kawhi and terminally pissed off with the Clips medical staff and still wanting to stay near home, I opt out and force a S&T to the Dubs. Kawhi has a gun to our head. If he wants out, a S&T is our last hope to get ANYTHING back.
Spoiler:
    A sign and trade between the Clippers and cross-town rival Warriors seem unlikely to happen, but if Leonard is deadset on leaving, the Clippers may have to consider their offer. A popular trade package that has been discussed involving the Warriors has been James Wiseman, Andrew Wiggins, the 7th overall pick, and the 14th pick. With this trade, the Clippers could have their center of the future in Wiseman. They would also get back some of the draft capital they gave away in the Paul George deal. Leonard on the Warriors is a scary thought, as a duo of him and Stephen Curry would instantly make them favorites to win the title.


https://lastwordonsports.com/basketball/2021/07/02/kawhi-leonard-free-agent-destinations/


Well, if he opts out, he can't go to GSW, unless they shed Klay and Dray (on top of wiggins) due to HC constraints. It would need to be an opt in and trade.

TrueLAfan wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Spoiler:
If Kawhi wants OUT, end of story, he's gone. And he can CHOOSE his destination.

If I'm Kawhi and terminally pissed off with the Clips medical staff and still wanting to stay near home, I opt out and force a S&T to the Dubs. Kawhi has a gun to our head. If he wants out, a S&T is our last hope to get ANYTHING back.

    A sign and trade between the Clippers and cross-town rival Warriors seem unlikely to happen, but if Leonard is deadset on leaving, the Clippers may have to consider their offer. A popular trade package that has been discussed involving the Warriors has been James Wiseman, Andrew Wiggins, the 7th overall pick, and the 14th pick. With this trade, the Clippers could have their center of the future in Wiseman. They would also get back some of the draft capital they gave away in the Paul George deal. Leonard on the Warriors is a scary thought, as a duo of him and Stephen Curry would instantly make them favorites to win the title.


https://lastwordonsports.com/basketball/2021/07/02/kawhi-leonard-free-agent-destinations/


I predicted the Golden State interest and offer in the Game 6 thread and said, and at the time meant, that I didn’t want to do the deal. People were ... displeased with my thoughts. And I still don’t want to do the deal. But make no mistake about it—that is a lot of raw power to offer for a player who isn’t likely to play much next year. Think of it this way. People were up in arms because we traded 3 picks and swapped picks, along with Gallo and SGA, to get Paul George. This offer is a #7 pick, and a #14 pick, which are likely to be worth (a lot) more than our picks going to OKC. And as much as I like SGA, Wiseman and Wiggins are much more valuable players than the two players we sent out. So, yeah, it’s a fair deal. I don’t want to take it—but if Kawhi and Co. are hell bent on leaving, that deal will make me feel a lot better.


I'm really not sure anyone would agree that Wiggins nor Wiseman are more valuable than SEGA...its also hard to say that these picks are more valuable than what we sent to OKC, as after this trade, we'd probably end up in the lotto this coming season, giving OKC a chance at a top selection and who knows what four years down the line looks.


There's plenty of good debate to be had comparing the two scenarios, but if Kawhi doesn't want to stay then something like this would be a great Plan B. Wiggins is pure salary filler, so it's really 7, 14, and Wiseman for Kawhi which actually seems fair given Kawhi's injury status. If it comes to a S&T I'm fine with trading him to a Pacific rival if it's the best return.

I honestly don't know how good Wiseman is though. EDIT- Here's more analysis than you ever thought possible on James Wiseman from a GSW fan (including a Paul George reference!):
https://kellyroldan.substack.com/p/the-warriors-season-in-review-james

The indisputable and sad truth is that James Wiseman had a terrible rookie season. There’s many answers that explain the why of what went down, but none of them give me any comfort.

While there’s a path to James Wiseman being a neutral contributor in his sophomore season, I am not confident the Warriors have the right environment to develop James Wiseman, I don’t believe he’ll ever be good enough to usurp Draymond Green as the Warriors’ crunch time 5, and I think his trade value will suffer if he only plays the minutes he earns next year. For those reasons and the many numbers we looked at in this piece, I believe the Warriors and Wiseman would both benefit from a breakup.
Clemenza
Analyst
Posts: 3,704
And1: 2,763
Joined: Jan 21, 2013
Location: California
   

Re: Going Forward to Next Season(2021 Nba Draft #25) 

Post#98 » by Clemenza » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:56 pm

ejftw wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
ejftw wrote:Only Mavs, Knicks and Heat can navigate to have the cap space to poach him...and only Miami of the three fears me


If Kawhi wants OUT, end of story, he's gone. And he can CHOOSE his destination.

If I'm Kawhi and terminally pissed off with the Clips medical staff and still wanting to stay near home, I opt out and force a S&T to the Dubs. Kawhi has a gun to our head. If he wants out, a S&T is our last hope to get ANYTHING back.
Spoiler:
    A sign and trade between the Clippers and cross-town rival Warriors seem unlikely to happen, but if Leonard is deadset on leaving, the Clippers may have to consider their offer. A popular trade package that has been discussed involving the Warriors has been James Wiseman, Andrew Wiggins, the 7th overall pick, and the 14th pick. With this trade, the Clippers could have their center of the future in Wiseman. They would also get back some of the draft capital they gave away in the Paul George deal. Leonard on the Warriors is a scary thought, as a duo of him and Stephen Curry would instantly make them favorites to win the title.


https://lastwordonsports.com/basketball/2021/07/02/kawhi-leonard-free-agent-destinations/


Well, if he opts out, he can't go to GSW, unless they shed Klay and Dray (on top of wiggins) due to HC constraints. It would need to be an opt in and trade.

TrueLAfan wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Spoiler:
If Kawhi wants OUT, end of story, he's gone. And he can CHOOSE his destination.

If I'm Kawhi and terminally pissed off with the Clips medical staff and still wanting to stay near home, I opt out and force a S&T to the Dubs. Kawhi has a gun to our head. If he wants out, a S&T is our last hope to get ANYTHING back.

    A sign and trade between the Clippers and cross-town rival Warriors seem unlikely to happen, but if Leonard is deadset on leaving, the Clippers may have to consider their offer. A popular trade package that has been discussed involving the Warriors has been James Wiseman, Andrew Wiggins, the 7th overall pick, and the 14th pick. With this trade, the Clippers could have their center of the future in Wiseman. They would also get back some of the draft capital they gave away in the Paul George deal. Leonard on the Warriors is a scary thought, as a duo of him and Stephen Curry would instantly make them favorites to win the title.


https://lastwordonsports.com/basketball/2021/07/02/kawhi-leonard-free-agent-destinations/


I predicted the Golden State interest and offer in the Game 6 thread and said, and at the time meant, that I didn’t want to do the deal. People were ... displeased with my thoughts. And I still don’t want to do the deal. But make no mistake about it—that is a lot of raw power to offer for a player who isn’t likely to play much next year. Think of it this way. People were up in arms because we traded 3 picks and swapped picks, along with Gallo and SGA, to get Paul George. This offer is a #7 pick, and a #14 pick, which are likely to be worth (a lot) more than our picks going to OKC. And as much as I like SGA, Wiseman and Wiggins are much more valuable players than the two players we sent out. So, yeah, it’s a fair deal. I don’t want to take it—but if Kawhi and Co. are hell bent on leaving, that deal will make me feel a lot better.


I'm really not sure anyone would agree that Wiggins nor Wiseman are more valuable than SEGA...its also hard to say that these picks are more valuable than what we sent to OKC, as after this trade, we'd probably end up in the lotto this coming season, giving OKC a chance at a top selection and who knows what four years down the line looks.

Even without Kawhi we would've beaten the Suns and went to the Finals with a healthy Ibaka, a few days off in-between games, and by not letting the last second ally-opp happen. With the addition of Wiggins, Wiseman, 7th and 14th picks in this upcoming draft we would become a dynasty in the making and would be set for years to come youth wise.. Are you crazy? Not the biggest fan of Wiggins but his defense is stellar, Wiseman will become a really good big, and we would definitely strike gold on one of the two lotto picks if not both of them. Mann, Kennard, Zu, Jay Scrubb, plus our #25 pick this year.. We would be stacked to death
User avatar
madmaxmedia
General Manager
Posts: 9,024
And1: 4,331
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal
     

Re: Going Forward to Next Season(2021 Nba Draft #25) 

Post#99 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:13 pm

Clemenza wrote:Even without Kawhi we would've beaten the Suns and went to the Finals with a healthy Ibaka, a few days off in-between games, and by not letting the last second ally-opp happen. With the addition of Wiggins, Wiseman, 7th and 14th picks in this upcoming draft we would become a dynasty in the making and would be set for years to come youth wise.. Are you crazy? Not the biggest fan of Wiggins but his defense is stellar, Wiseman will become a really good big, and we would definitely strike gold on one of the two lotto picks if not both of them. Mann, Kennard, Zu, Jay Scrubb, plus our #25 pick this year.. We would be stacked to death


I really don't know about Wiseman (seems like equal parts potential and question marks), but TBH that trade as proposed wouldn't kill me whatsoever if it came to that. There is also talk about GSW going after Beal, of course they should propose that package for Beal first. But that's not good enough to get Beal IMO.

We can't really evaluate that trade vs. the original PG trade in a vacuum, since this trade is for Kawhi not PG. Or another way of looking at it, are the new assets + PG better than if we never acquired both PG and Kawhi in the first place? I would rather have these pieces plus Paul George but can see the argument for the other side. We would then probably look to trade Zubac who I think has solid trade value. I wouldn't mind packaging some stuff to S&T for Lonzo Ball. I would still try to re-sign Reggie. It wouldn't be a great team (next year) but a solid team that I would enjoy rooting for. For better or for worse, it would be Paul George's team going forward.

I have absolutely no idea what Kawhi wants or prioritizes. If he wants to be in LA, the Clippers are the only realistic option. If he wants to compete for another ring, GSW and maybe Dallas would be other good options (edge to GSW with a healthy Klay.) If both are important he should stay here, and have both. There's no realistic route that gets him to the Lakers, like there is with GSW.
ejftw
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,403
And1: 831
Joined: Nov 30, 2008
Contact:
         

Re: Going Forward to Next Season(2021 Nba Draft #25) 

Post#100 » by ejftw » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:44 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
Spoiler:
ejftw wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
If Kawhi wants OUT, end of story, he's gone. And he can CHOOSE his destination.

If I'm Kawhi and terminally pissed off with the Clips medical staff and still wanting to stay near home, I opt out and force a S&T to the Dubs. Kawhi has a gun to our head. If he wants out, a S&T is our last hope to get ANYTHING back.
[spoiler]
    A sign and trade between the Clippers and cross-town rival Warriors seem unlikely to happen, but if Leonard is deadset on leaving, the Clippers may have to consider their offer. A popular trade package that has been discussed involving the Warriors has been James Wiseman, Andrew Wiggins, the 7th overall pick, and the 14th pick. With this trade, the Clippers could have their center of the future in Wiseman. They would also get back some of the draft capital they gave away in the Paul George deal. Leonard on the Warriors is a scary thought, as a duo of him and Stephen Curry would instantly make them favorites to win the title.


https://lastwordonsports.com/basketball/2021/07/02/kawhi-leonard-free-agent-destinations/


Well, if he opts out, he can't go to GSW, unless they shed Klay and Dray (on top of wiggins) due to HC constraints. It would need to be an opt in and trade.

TrueLAfan wrote:
I predicted the Golden State interest and offer in the Game 6 thread and said, and at the time meant, that I didn’t want to do the deal. People were ... displeased with my thoughts. And I still don’t want to do the deal. But make no mistake about it—that is a lot of raw power to offer for a player who isn’t likely to play much next year. Think of it this way. People were up in arms because we traded 3 picks and swapped picks, along with Gallo and SGA, to get Paul George. This offer is a #7 pick, and a #14 pick, which are likely to be worth (a lot) more than our picks going to OKC. And as much as I like SGA, Wiseman and Wiggins are much more valuable players than the two players we sent out. So, yeah, it’s a fair deal. I don’t want to take it—but if Kawhi and Co. are hell bent on leaving, that deal will make me feel a lot better.


I'm really not sure anyone would agree that Wiggins nor Wiseman are more valuable than SEGA...its also hard to say that these picks are more valuable than what we sent to OKC, as after this trade, we'd probably end up in the lotto this coming season, giving OKC a chance at a top selection and who knows what four years down the line looks.
[/spoiler]

There's plenty of good debate to be had comparing the two scenarios, but if Kawhi doesn't want to stay then something like this would be a great Plan B. Wiggins is pure salary filler, so it's really 7, 14, and Wiseman for Kawhi which actually seems fair given Kawhi's injury status. If it comes to a S&T I'm fine with trading him to a Pacific rival if it's the best return.

I honestly don't know how good Wiseman is though. EDIT- Here's more analysis than you ever thought possible on James Wiseman from a GSW fan (including a Paul George reference!):
https://kellyroldan.substack.com/p/the-warriors-season-in-review-james

The indisputable and sad truth is that James Wiseman had a terrible rookie season. There’s many answers that explain the why of what went down, but none of them give me any comfort.

While there’s a path to James Wiseman being a neutral contributor in his sophomore season, I am not confident the Warriors have the right environment to develop James Wiseman, I don’t believe he’ll ever be good enough to usurp Draymond Green as the Warriors’ crunch time 5, and I think his trade value will suffer if he only plays the minutes he earns next year. For those reasons and the many numbers we looked at in this piece, I believe the Warriors and Wiseman would both benefit from a breakup.



It's definitely as good a nuclear option as out there, but I would implore the Warriors to find a taker for Wiseman. He's not a C for the modern NBA, and if we can snag an asset for him it would be welcomed. Would Memphis give up, say, #17 and Bane for him?

I'd also see if we can swap Wiggins for an expiring, but that's unlikely, so it would likely mean saying bye to Coffey, which, really isn't a deal breaker as he's more of a fan favorite, as his ceiling isn't higher than a solid 10th man.
Smitty is a Twitter snowflake

Return to Los Angeles Clippers