ImageImageImageImageImage

Jimmy Butler Showed Interest in Clippers; Traded To Philadelphia

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Should the Clippers pursue Jimmy Butler? (Check all that you agree with)

Poll ended at Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:47 am

Wait until the offseason and sign as a FA ($139.3M / 4yrs)
11%
Trade for him now and re-sign in offseason ($187.9M / 5yrs)
4%
Avoid him at all costs (Age, Injury and Chemistry concerns)
7%
Are you willing to part willing to part with Harris?
11%
Are you willing to part with Robinson?
14%
Are you willing to part with Gilgeous-Alexander?
7%
Are you willing to part with Williams?
21%
Are you willing to take on Dieng in a package deal with Butler?
4%
Jimmy Butler is worth the max
4%
Jimmy Butler is worth 90% of the max ($169.1M / 5yrs or $125.4 / 4yrs)
18%

Total votes: 28

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Still Nobody Interested in Paying Thibs' Asking Price 

Post#141 » by Ranma » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:27 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

HoopsHype's Wibbitz Pro Video 

Post#142 » by Ranma » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:06 am

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Re: Jimmy Butler requests trade to Clippers, Knicks or Nets; Lists Clippers as top destination! 

Post#143 » by QRich3 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:46 am

I'm glad we're not taking the bait and steering clear from Butler, but I'd try to get in there as a 3rd/4th team if possible, and get someone like Justice Winslow for Pat Bev or something like that. Seems like either Minnesota or Miami would rather have veterans to compete now, than young guys with limited upside. And getting young guys with limited upside for cheap is all we should be trying.
Ranma
RealGM

Clips Still in the Mix 

Post#144 » by Ranma » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:29 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Butler Exasperated 

Post#145 » by Ranma » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:33 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Marks on Woj Podcast 

Post#146 » by Ranma » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:28 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
Ranma
RealGM

Thibs Trying to Engage Clippers? 

Post#147 » by Ranma » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:13 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Looking Like Thibs Will Get His Way with Non-Trade of Butler 

Post#148 » by Ranma » Thu Oct 4, 2018 5:59 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Jimmy Butler requests trade to Clippers, Knicks or Nets; Lists Clippers as top destination! 

Post#149 » by Neddy » Thu Oct 4, 2018 6:41 am

guess Gallo straight up won't work, lol.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

T-Wolves on the Prowl for Tobias 

Post#150 » by Ranma » Fri Oct 5, 2018 8:35 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Dan Feldman, NBC Sports (10/3/18)
Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN:

The Clippers are also still very, very interested in Jimmy Butler.

Here are Players Heat, Rockets and Bucks Reportedly Offering for Jimmy Butler
simon24
Rookie
And1: 199

Re: T-Wolves on the Prowl for Tobias 

Post#151 » by simon24 » Sat Oct 6, 2018 8:46 am

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Dan Feldman, NBC Sports (10/3/18)
Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN:

The Clippers are also still very, very interested in Jimmy Butler.

Here are Players Heat, Rockets and Bucks Reportedly Offering for Jimmy Butler

I doubt LAC could afford Jimmy, Harris AND KL/KD. Who's to say KL would want to play with Jimmy?
Neddy
RealGM

Post#152 » by Neddy » Sat Oct 6, 2018 9:24 pm

they want multiple players and picks?

Doc can give his old assistant Tom the contracts of Gallo and Evans, and conditional swaps for 2021 and 2023 second round picks.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Re: T-Wolves on the Prowl for Tobias 

Post#153 » by Neddy » Sat Oct 6, 2018 9:26 pm

simon24 wrote:
I doubt LAC could afford Jimmy, Harris AND KL/KD. Who's to say KL would want to play with Jimmy?

"afford" as of Cap issues which makes it impossible for them to be even signed, or "afford" as of the owner's wallets? cause I don't know anyone in NBA ownership circles who is worth 44 billion or whatever Steve is worth. if the GSW can "afford" the lux taxes to keep that team up in bay area together, I am pretty sure Steve won't flinch at the price tag.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Room for a Trio of Stars 

Post#154 » by Ranma » Sun Oct 7, 2018 5:15 am

simon24 wrote:

Neddy wrote:"afford" as of Cap issues which makes it impossible for them to be even signed, or "afford" as of the owner's wallets? cause I don't know anyone in NBA ownership circles who is worth 44 billion or whatever Steve is worth. if the GSW can "afford" the lux taxes to keep that team up in bay area together, I am pretty sure Steve won't flinch at the price tag.

While I don't have a handle on our exact salary cap situation, I get the feeling that we'd be in a solid position to be able to afford signing 2 max-level players and re-signing Tobias Harris as well if we were able to unload Danilo Gallinari. Of course, it would depend on how much Tobias gets in the open market since a team could offer him a contract that would be a significant overpay. The good news is that there won't be many teams with a lot of cap space to do this as I believe only the Nets, Knicks and Clippers will have significant room to offer big deals this summer. Plus, teams still want to maintain flexibility with star free agents quite possibly becoming available over the next few years.

Even Gallo's contract could be appealing after this season as an expiring deal, especially if he has a productive and healthy season. A big if, I know, but still it just means that the Clips could theoretically sign Kawhi this summer as well as bring back Tobias and just wait until Gallinari's contract falls off the books and possibly have either Anthony Davis or Giannis Antetokounmpo available in time to fill in that second max-level slot.

You pose a good question as to how Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler would get along, but most of us don't see him as a true max player. He'd be a great acquisition if we could unload Gallinari's contract in exchange for taking him on as a rental but Thibodeau's unreasonable trade demands don't make that as a likely possibility right now.

Despite the Heat being the most aggressive suitors for Butler, even they won't cross the line of practicality by including Josh Richardson. Likewise, the Clippers are not inclined to include Tobias Harris, thankfully. I'm just afraid that we'll have to include a young player like Jerome Robinson to get a deal done, which does not appeal to me at all. While I was not in favor of drafting him with a late lottery pick, he's still a young player with a very intriguing makeup and skill set.

In any case, it looks like Thibodeau will delay the inevitable and try to keep Butler for the upcoming season until the trade deadline. By then, we should be able to include a player like Avery Bradley, who should appeal to Thibs but would that appeal to the T-wolves long-term since Thibs' days look numbered in Minnesota?

In any case, I don't see a major obstacle keeping the Clippers from signing 2 max-level players and bringing back Tobias Harris, who would be quite suitable as a 3rd star player for a contending team.
Ranma
RealGM

As the World Turns...on Butler's Soap Opera 

Post#155 » by Ranma » Sun Oct 7, 2018 7:48 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Thibs Pushing Everybody's Buttons 

Post#156 » by Ranma » Sun Oct 7, 2018 7:58 pm

Apparently, Miami caved and was willing to include Josh Richardson as well as find-and-incentivize a 3rd team to take Gorgui Dieng's contract off Minnesota's hands...and it still wasn't enough as Thibs pushed for more of a sweetener. Even if the Clips had unwisely included Tobias Harris in an offer, it wouldn't have been enough as Thibs would have just asked for more after getting a team to agree to include a valuable asset.

I seriously doubt anyone else will beat the Heat's last offer, so it's South Beach or bust for Butler.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#157 » by Neddy » Sun Oct 7, 2018 11:23 pm

not sure I see the logic in Tom Thib's game right now. I get that his job security is hanging in the balance of this season's performance, but there is a perfect excuse of the owner getting involved to trade your best player, just sit pretty and do good PR. what he is doing is to create this image of a GM/HC combo struggling to make the right choice for the franchise, kinda seeing right thru Tom the GM trying to please Tom the Coach by keeping your best player, but in doing so the long term job security maybe in jeopardy now that he is pissing off both his owner, and the locker room who hates Jimmy that sees Tom's obvious favoritism of Jimmy.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Thibs Wants to Pad His Resume 

Post#158 » by Ranma » Mon Oct 8, 2018 12:24 am

Neddy wrote:not sure I see the logic in Tom Thib's game right now. I get that his job security is hanging in the balance of this season's performance, but there is a perfect excuse of the owner getting involved to trade your best player, just sit pretty and do good PR. what he is doing is to create this image of a GM/HC combo struggling to make the right choice for the franchise, kinda seeing right thru Tom the GM trying to please Tom the Coach by keeping your best player, but in doing so the long term job security maybe in jeopardy now that he is pissing off both his owner, and the locker room who hates Jimmy that sees Tom's obvious favoritism of Jimmy.

I don't see Thibs being a viable NBA coach given the way he runs his players into the ground and, on some level, I think he himself suspects that NBA teams have similar misgivings about him even if he doesn't have GM duties. At this point, it seems as though that he's fine with getting fired and collecting the rest of the paychecks due to him from the contract he signed with the Timberwolves.

The reason that he wants to hold onto Butler at practically all cost is because he wants to be able to note on his resume that he's taken a Minnesota team that's missed the playoffs for an extended period into the postseason and kept it there during his tenure. Losing Butler for any of the rumored trade proposals available to him right now likely extinguishes such hopes for this coming season.
Wammy Giveaway
Veteran
And1: 1,134

Thibs Endgame: Steal A Team, Save The Spot 

Post#159 » by Wammy Giveaway » Mon Oct 8, 2018 4:33 am

Seems to me Thibodeau wants all the eligible assets that can be traded right now, including picks. What do I mean by that? Let's look...

Patrick Beverley
Danilo Gallinari
Tobias Harris
Lou Williams
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Jerome Robinson
Wesley Johnson
Boban Marjanovic
Milos Teodosic
Sindarius Thornwell
Jawan Evans
2019 2nd round pick

Basically, if the player is not newly signed like Avery Bradley and Montrezl Harrell, or a recently traded player that cannot be in a packaged deal like Marcin Gortat or Jonathan Motley, it's fair game. Thibs is all about protecting his job and the Wolves's playoff spot, and if he has to rob another team in exchange for losing the very guy who he rode into the Eastern Conference Finals with in 2011, he'll do it. It's almost as if the Wolves swapped franchises with the Clippers, like how the Celtics and Braves did back then so that Irv Levin could take a team to California.

Could you imagine if it took trading your entire roster just to get one superstar in Jimmy Butler? Thibs is basically saying, if you want Butler, you must commit to the tank. Doc and Thibs may be close friends (and possibly one of the few reasons why the Clippers are still in this), but stealing a team might be too much for the Clippers, even for Jerry West.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,311

Re: Thibs Wants to Pad His Resume 

Post#160 » by Clemenza » Mon Oct 8, 2018 5:03 am

Ranma wrote:
Neddy wrote:not sure I see the logic in Tom Thib's game right now. I get that his job security is hanging in the balance of this season's performance, but there is a perfect excuse of the owner getting involved to trade your best player, just sit pretty and do good PR. what he is doing is to create this image of a GM/HC combo struggling to make the right choice for the franchise, kinda seeing right thru Tom the GM trying to please Tom the Coach by keeping your best player, but in doing so the long term job security maybe in jeopardy now that he is pissing off both his owner, and the locker room who hates Jimmy that sees Tom's obvious favoritism of Jimmy.

I don't see Thibs being a viable NBA coach given the way he runs his players into the ground and, on some level, I think he himself suspects that NBA teams have similar misgivings about him even if he doesn't have GM duties. At this point, it seems as though that he's fine with getting fired and collecting the rest of the paychecks due to him from the contract he signed with the Timberwolves.

The reason that he wants to hold onto Butler at practically all cost is because he wants to be able to note on his resume that he's taken a Minnesota team that's missed the playoffs for an extended period into the postseason and kept it there during his tenure. Losing Butler for any of the rumored trade proposals available to him right now likely extinguishes such hopes for this coming season.

I've always though that Thibs would be an excellent coach in college where its perfectly fine to play only 8 players and favor upper-class-men and have the team put an emphasis on defense. He's not in his proper element by coaching in the NBA

Return to Los Angeles Clippers