ImageImageImageImageImage

Jimmy Butler Showed Interest in Clippers; Traded To Philadelphia

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Should the Clippers pursue Jimmy Butler? (Check all that you agree with)

Poll ended at Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:47 am

Wait until the offseason and sign as a FA ($139.3M / 4yrs)
11%
Trade for him now and re-sign in offseason ($187.9M / 5yrs)
4%
Avoid him at all costs (Age, Injury and Chemistry concerns)
7%
Are you willing to part willing to part with Harris?
11%
Are you willing to part with Robinson?
14%
Are you willing to part with Gilgeous-Alexander?
7%
Are you willing to part with Williams?
21%
Are you willing to take on Dieng in a package deal with Butler?
4%
Jimmy Butler is worth the max
4%
Jimmy Butler is worth 90% of the max ($169.1M / 5yrs or $125.4 / 4yrs)
18%

Total votes: 28

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Butler Selectively Sits 

Post#181 » by Ranma » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:13 pm

Woj, again serving as mouthpiece for a team, says that the team suggested that he sit to rest and take precautions. A team with Tom Thibodeau as head coach and GM. A man known for running his players into the ground by playing them extended minutes. Yeah, I'm not buying that.

Woj and Shams are both usually reliable, but since Woj left for ESPN, it seems like there has been some inaccuracies being reported on both sides just for the sake of being contrarian. In any case, it looks like Butler is trying to force Thibs' hand to make a deal sooner rather than later while Thibs has been trying to slow play things in order to keep Butler playing for him and exact a high price for him.

It is likely now that he'll eventually be resigned to take the deal from Miami even as he tries to convince Butler to keep playing.
All while the Timberwolves are 3-4 with their newly signed franchise player KAT in shellshock.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Mavs Out of Running Per Dallas Morning News Writer 

Post#182 » by Ranma » Thu Nov 1, 2018 5:22 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Attention to Detail Video 

Post#183 » by Ranma » Thu Nov 1, 2018 7:23 am

Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,170

Re: Jimmy Butler requests trade to Clippers, Knicks or Nets; Lists Clippers as top destination! 

Post#184 » by Galloisdaman » Thu Nov 1, 2018 5:40 pm

Do teams really want this guy that badly? I would not want to trade for a guy if he is sitting out games while under contract.

Lakers and Lebron might make sense since they have given up a few young guys already. Might as well go for it the next 1-3 years.

I do not think Houston is as good as thought in the offseason so I can see why they feel they need Butler.

Jimmy Butler is very good but he is not Michael Jordan. I think the team that trades for him may be happy this year but regret it in future years.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Ranma
RealGM

Take with Grain of Salt 

Post#185 » by Ranma » Fri Nov 2, 2018 12:14 am

I've been skeptical of giving much weight to Robinson's reporting despite his supposed appearances on multiple major media outlets, but I have to give him some props since he cited a source early that claimed Kevin Durant will be a Laker next season. Magic's appearance on Fox Sports' pre-game show for Game 4 of the World Series seems to support this, so I'll pass along the latest from his reporting on Jimmy Butler with relation to the Clippers.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 792

Re: Jimmy Butler requests trade to Clippers, Knicks or Nets; Lists Clippers as top destination! 

Post#186 » by donemilio21 » Fri Nov 2, 2018 4:49 pm

in today's NBA and it's salary cap rules, I believe every team will regret if they end up paying players in age 34-36 seasons $35-40M. Unless its Lebron or Durant, that player will under-perform his contract.
Ranma
RealGM

Butler Embarrassing Himself and the T-Wolves 

Post#187 » by Ranma » Sat Nov 3, 2018 2:10 pm

Read on Twitter
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,170

Post#188 » by Galloisdaman » Sat Nov 3, 2018 2:29 pm

Do teams want to trade a huge amount for Butler?
Yes he is a good player but he is not a superstar.
He is kind of reminding me of Latrell Sprewell at times.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,322

Post#189 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Nov 3, 2018 4:33 pm

Everything I've seen from Butler this year just makes me want him even less. He's a fake "star" with a toxic ego, even though he's never won anything. It's like the Dwightmare all over again, except worse, because Dwight at least led the Magic to deep playoff runs and a Finals appearance and was a legit MVP candidate at his peak.

Jimmy cheering with Warriors fans against his own team is a new low, even by the standards of today's NBA primadonnas.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,976

Post#190 » by esqtvd » Sat Nov 3, 2018 7:58 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:Everything I've seen from Butler this year just makes me want him even less. He's a fake "star" with a toxic ego, even though he's never won anything. It's like the Dwightmare all over again, except worse, because Dwight at least led the Magic to deep playoff runs and a Finals appearance and was a legit MVP candidate at his peak.

Jimmy cheering with Warriors fans against his own team is a new low, even by the standards of today's NBA primadonnas.

wow :nonono:

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Wammy Giveaway
Veteran
And1: 1,134

Getting A Read On Butler 

Post#191 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sat Nov 3, 2018 10:37 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:Everything I've seen from Butler this year just makes me want him even less. He's a fake "star" with a toxic ego, even though he's never won anything. It's like the Dwightmare all over again, except worse, because Dwight at least led the Magic to deep playoff runs and a Finals appearance and was a legit MVP candidate at his peak.

As this is Butler's final year, could you see him buying out his contract and joining the Warriors? This question is just for Martin; nobody else is to answer.
Ranma
RealGM

Clip Session VIDEOS: Jimmy Butler's 2017-18 Highlights 

Post#192 » by Ranma » Mon Nov 5, 2018 10:01 pm

Ranma
RealGM

Trade Proposal from T-Wolves Blogger 

Post#193 » by Ranma » Mon Nov 5, 2018 11:39 pm

Trey Flynn, DunkingWithWolves.com (11/3/18)

Jimmy Butler traded to the Los Angeles Clippers

The Los Angeles Clippers are 5-4 and I’m not sure anyone knows what this team is, most of all Doc Rivers.

Jimmy Butler was reported to have referenced the Clippers as one of his preferred trade destinations, and we’re here to satisfy his needs. While Minnesota would most likely want Tobias Harris, ultimately I can’t see LA breaking up everyone’s favorite relationship in Harris and Boban Marjanovic.

If Butler was truly traded to the Clippers for Danilo Gallinari and a few draft picks, they could probably entice him to stay in the summer compared to LeBron James possible attempt at bringing Butler to the Lakers in the offseason.

The Timberwolves could utilize Gallinari at the wing or the stretch-four, either way they get one of the best shooters in the league – when healthy.

Gallo is averaging 19.8 PPG and has a clean shooting split of 45.1/47.6/98.0 and one of the higher player efficiency ratings in the league at 21.9.

So essentially, Gallo is healthy and looks like a Utah Jazz version of Gordon Hayward out in LA. So he could teach Andrew Wiggins a thing or two, and for that reason, I’m in.

The two draft picks obviously help top the deal off as well, but ultamitely this move makes sense for Minnesota to get out of this drama as smoothly as possible. Players around the league can’t possibly appreciate the way Minny has handeled Butler’s request – and vice versa – so sending Butler where he wants to go will make a difference for the future.

Minnesota Timberwolves: 30 Jimmy Butler Trades to Every NBA Team
Popovich
Pro Prospect
And1: 293

Post#194 » by Popovich » Mon Nov 5, 2018 11:51 pm

I like how Clippers are doing right now and there is even more to explore for the coaching staff regarding guards and rotations. I hope to see more of SGA , Teodosic , Robinson, Wallace and I didn't forget about Thornwell who deserves to get some minutes. I know little about Mbah a Moute so I am eager to learn about his abilities. I don't know is there a team in entire NBA who has such a number of various players who differ so much in their abilities. It is hard for Doc Rivers, as he says , "who should sit then". The problem is that Clippers lack so called complete or full package type of players which can endure longer minutes on the floor by not creating disadvantage after opposing teams adjust to Clippers rotations and starts to finding holes. That is where Butler could make an impact positively, he is such a player.

I am aware that a lot of people say how Clippers can't survive in NBA without at least one big star but that is not completely true IMO. I think if this trade happens it would mess up the team good chemistry which is noticed even by opposing teams. Butler is a great player, no doubt, a two way player who contributes equally well on both sides of the floor but his both, locker room and management relations have already been subject of controversy. I would like to see Jimmy in LA but not in Clippers and certainly not this year. It will be interesting as Butler is coming to Staples Center where LAC will host MIN on Monday , November 6 (today) at 10:30 PM ET.
I will strongly root for Clippers win and secretly hoping for a off game for Jimmy, I'm not a hater and I know this is not morally right, yet It is like that I wish Clippers staff could realize Butler is not so special after the game and that our team can perform well without his help. I am positive that Jimmy will try his best to prove people with similar to my opinion wrong.

I aspire to hear Tom Thibodeau bawls like never before, he often screams square , square !!! which indicates that he prefers ISO's and one on one plays. It will be hard game, all eyes are on Rose , we will see is he hot or was his amazing performance in previous game just one good day. I have and will say more once thread for this game opens in this forum. Unfortunately I am 3 months out of job but then I can afford to watch this early , early morning games here in Serbia. And if Clippers reach playoffs I am certain that in whole Serbia it would be like 2001–02 season with Kings when we also had two our players. GL Clippers. :wink:
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#195 » by TucsonClip » Tue Nov 6, 2018 8:30 pm

I am more than fine selling out for Kawhi and bringing back Tobi, as I have been for a while.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
Ranma
RealGM

My Trade Proposal 

Post#196 » by Ranma » Wed Nov 7, 2018 12:10 am

I get why most of us don't want Jimmy Butler. Heck, I've stated from the beginning that he's not a true max-worthy player, but at the same time, I've also advocated for making a deal for him right now in order to free us from Gallinari's contract. However, I'm also talking myself into rationalizing a big contract for him with talks of Durant wanting to be embraced and cashing in on free agency. I'll explain further.

First off, Tobias Harris and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander are completely off-limits. End of discussion. Future first-round picks (unprotected or otherwise) and even Jerome Robinson are also assets with restricted access primarily because I'm interested in Butler mostly as a rental to unload Gallo, especially since the Clippers have a very good chance of signing him in the summer should the organization be inclined to.

Dealing anything of significant value doesn't make much sense for the Clippers. At the same time, keeping him from getting traded to Houston or Miami affords us options in the off-season. I'm not suggesting that we engage in a bidding war at all for Butler, so if the Rockets or Heat want to give up the farm for Butler, they can have him with little to no protest from me. I'm just looking to be opportunistic.

Trade Proposal

Justin Patton is injured and on an expiring contract with options for 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 declined and voided, respectively. A 2019 second-round pick could be thrown in to satisfy Thibs' sweet tooth, but that's it. However, if the T-wolves would rather wait until December 15th to get Avery Bradley instead of Beverley, then they'd have to swap in Taj Gibson's expiring deal in place of Patton's to make the numbers work.

With regard to signing Butler to a long-term deal, I'm debating whether taking Jerry West's approach to retaining Blake Griffin would also be worth applying to Jimmy B as an asset that can be dealt later. The difference is that the Clippers don't necessarily lose out in not signing Butler.

Freeing ourselves from Gallo's contract would allow us to retain Tobias Harris, offer a max deal to Kawhi Leonard and possibly pursue Kevin Durant this summer. If we miss out on Durant, then the Clips have the option of signing Butler to a long-term contract as a placeholder while we remain competitive with Kawhi anticipated to join the organizaion until either Anthony Davis or Giannis Antetokounmpo become available on the trade market before they hit free agency.

If New Orleans or Milwaukee is faced with losing its franchise player for nothing in free agency, then getting Butler back in return would soften the blow. Plus, there's a decent likelihood that we can deal Butler away while he's still productive before the contract becomes an albatross even if we only get peanuts back in return.

Still, I'm more concerned about whether signing Butler to a long-term deal would be worth the risks, but I'm definitely open to dealing for him as a rental on my terms right now.
Ranma
RealGM

Why It's Important to Deal Gallo 

Post#197 » by Ranma » Wed Nov 7, 2018 2:13 am

TucsonClip wrote:I am more than fine selling out for Kawhi and bringing back Tobi, as I have been for a while.

This is exactly why I'm pushing for dealing Danilo Gallinari away for Jimmy Butler. His 2019-20 salary more than offsets the cap hold for Tobias Harris. Now clearing that salary commitment doesn't actually clear enough space to offer 2 full max contracts, but it does get us closer than before when the media was already speculating that we may have enough to sign 2 max-level free agents, presumably with both or either taking a slight discount to make it happen.

Of course, we can also be content to just signing Kawhi and retaining Tobias this summer and do further cap management to position ourselves for either AD or Giannis, but both of them are likely to be available on the trade market before hitting free agency, which again, illustrates how having Butler as an asset could actually benefit in that case.

Wammy Giveaway
Veteran
And1: 1,134

Preparing For The What-If 

Post#198 » by Wammy Giveaway » Wed Nov 7, 2018 5:44 am

There is even a slight chance for the Clippers to not get a single All-Star for next season. Jimmy Butler, Kawhi Leonard, Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving may choose to stay with their respective teams or go elsewhere that isn't the Clippers. Even if the Clippers have a good season where they surprise the league as a .500 9th seed or make the playoffs to give the Warriors/Rockets/Lakers a 1st round 7-game scare, their losing history will still weigh heavily against them. Yes, they have Jerry West for the culture and Steve Ballmer for the checks, but Doc Rivers as coach is perceived around the league as a red flag following his triumvirate run as coach/GM/father. Doc Rivers took a huge reputation hit when he traded Chris Paul, and the media rightfully called him out.

Let's say the Clippers miss out on all the superstars. How would you feel about the team going starless and opting for a roster comprised solely of role players ranging from good to great, elite even? Every player on this current roster is much better served as contributors to title contenders and playoff teams. Rather than making their opponents stronger, an ongoing gag for the Clippers throughout their history (like when Doc let Joe Ingles go or all the times the franchise bungled their draft picks under Donald Sterling), the franchise should make use out of their king's ransom. It's very possible the Clippers could follow the San Antonio Spurs model of acquiring good-character guys with hidden talents, except the scouting is done in the U.S. versus the Spurs preference of overseas.

Do you really need an All-Star to be a championship contender anyway? Why follow conventional wisdom by playing the percentages when you can go outside the box, like with the Clipper's most recent hiring of Lee Jenkins. The fact that Jerry West approves of such an oddball hire tells me there may be more red herrings ahead that could be given the green light.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,976

Re: Preparing For The What-If 

Post#199 » by esqtvd » Wed Nov 7, 2018 6:38 am

Wammy Giveaway wrote:There is even a slight chance for the Clippers to not get a single All-Star for next season. Jimmy Butler, Kawhi Leonard, Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving may choose to stay with their respective teams or go elsewhere that isn't the Clippers. Even if the Clippers have a good season where they surprise the league as a .500 9th seed or make the playoffs to give the Warriors/Rockets/Lakers a 1st round 7-game scare, their losing history will still weigh heavily against them. Yes, they have Jerry West for the culture and Steve Ballmer for the checks, but Doc Rivers as coach is perceived around the league as a red flag following his triumvirate run as coach/GM/father. Doc Rivers took a huge reputation hit when he traded Chris Paul, and the media rightfully called him out.

Let's say the Clippers miss out on all the superstars. How would you feel about the team going starless and opting for a roster comprised solely of role players ranging from good to great, elite even? Every player on this current roster is much better served as contributors to title contenders and playoff teams. Rather than making their opponents stronger, an ongoing gag for the Clippers throughout their history (like when Doc let Joe Ingles go or all the times the franchise bungled their draft picks under Donald Sterling), the franchise should make use out of their king's ransom. It's very possible the Clippers could follow the San Antonio Spurs model of acquiring good-character guys with hidden talents, except the scouting is done in the U.S. versus the Spurs preference of overseas.

Do you really need an All-Star to be a championship contender anyway? Why follow conventional wisdom by playing the percentages when you can go outside the box, like with the Clipper's most recent hiring of Lee Jenkins. The fact that Jerry West approves of such an oddball hire tells me there may be more red herrings ahead that could be given the green light.

because narrative

but there are tons of players who want to play for Doc

Gallo, Milos and Avery all chose to be here
Luc came back too

as for drafting under Sterling, we had like 2 people in the scouting department and picks in the 20s
all that crap is in the rearview

It's very possible the Clippers could follow the San Antonio Spurs model of acquiring good-character guys with hidden talents, except the scouting is done in the U.S. versus the Spurs preference of overseas.

You're right about the Clippers' new philosophy of 'character guys' [y'd think Jimmy Butler's recent antics would disqualify him from further consideration], but if you inspect the Spurs' unimpressive drafting record over the past 10 years, their advantage in overseas scouting has evaporated.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Ranma
RealGM

Superstar or Bust 

Post#200 » by Ranma » Wed Nov 7, 2018 8:51 am

For crying out loud, Wammy. It's like you intentionally turn off your brain to the most obvious facts even when it has been pointed out to you multiple times. You keep pushing this harebrained narrative when I've already pointed out that the Spurs you cited didn't win their championships without superstar and/or Hall-of-Fame players (the Admiral, Duncan, Kawhi, Manu). The Detroit Pistons are the anomaly, not the norm. The aim is to win championships and, in order to have a practical chance at such an endeavor, the Clippers have to acquire a superstar and/or future Hall-of-Famer or two at least.

You get such players either through the draft or free agency. To trade for one is even rarer. Teams realistically can't be expected to draft superstar talent unless they get a top pick, but since Jerry West chose to opt against the complete rebuild route, the alternative is to sign free agents; the Clips currently don't have the assets to compete in a bidding war between the Celtics and Lakers to trade for one should one become available soon.

The organization is well positioned to attract premier free agents based on the benefits that have already been discussed previously, so you have to get past this notion that the Clippers will revert back to the Sterling days in terms of operation. Doc Rivers is not a coach who can win without the aforementioned type of players. He can't do what Larry Brown did with the Pistons. Heck, neither could Gregg Popovich, Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Steve Kerr, Rick Carlisle, Rudy Tomjanovich, etc. Even the Dallas Mavericks had Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Kidd supported by Caron Butler, Shawn Marion, Peja Stojakovic, et al.

What the Clippers have going on now is a great first step, but if we plateau and don't improve much more, we run the risk of just treadmilling and being stuck in the purgatory of being a perpetual middling franchise. Jerry West has steered this organization to pursue premier free agents. We're not really built to do it any other way given reasonable expectations. If we strike out on free agents, for whatever reason, then the organization has no choice but to keep trying until it finally secures a couple or decides a full rebuild is the way to go. There is no in-between. It's superstar(s) or bust.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers