ImageImageImageImageImage

Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Re: Marshall is a True Point Guard 

Post#221 » by illastrate » Thu Sep 1, 2016 7:43 pm

Ranma wrote:
illastrate wrote:Marshall isn't better than Felton.

Assuming health is not an issue, I'd rather have Marshall than Rivers as our backup PG. He's a better playmaker and can knock down the open-3-pointer. While he lacks Rivers' aggressiveness and potential for big-game performances, Marshall is the more steady of the two and actually has starter-level ability as a point guard. As has been noted already, Rivers isn't a true PG.

Given my noted opinion above, Marshall is a better option than Raymond Felton. While Felton is more of a PG than SG, there are some who view him as a combo guard despite his lack of height and bad 3-point shooting.

Marshall is a fringe NBA player. He's had some good moments in small sample sizes, but IMO, he's not a starting caliber PG for anything more than a bottom feeder. Felton is a legit rotation PG who started for the Mavs in the playoffs. Sure he's not a good 3pt shooter, but he's solid in other areas.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Marshall vs. Felton 

Post#222 » by Ranma » Thu Sep 1, 2016 8:05 pm

illastrate wrote:Marshall is a fringe NBA player. He's had some good moments in small sample sizes, but IMO, he's not a starting caliber PG for anything more than a bottom feeder. Felton is a legit rotation PG who started for the Mavs in the playoffs. Sure he's not a good 3pt shooter, but he's solid in other areas.

Marshall is only a fringe NBA player because of his health issue. The reason he was traded was due to his guaranteed salary, while not much, was more than what Felton's minimum deal is. Speaking of fringe player, Felton was one not too long ago and was only able to sign for a vet minimum deal at that. Marshall was let go so late that it will be hard for him to get on with another team due to timing for this season. Felton has always had concerns about his conditioning and even still is considered heavyset for his position.

Felton is probably going the way of Baron Davis in the near future. I suspect he's only keeping himself in somewhat shape because he realizes his days are close to being numbered as is. For the long-term and present, Kendall Marshall would be the better option as a rotation player--again, assuming health is not an issue--since he is the better playmaker, shooter, is younger, and has more size.

Felton may be the more recognizable name, but he's definitely on the downward trend of a mediocre NBA career. Even if Marshall will have to play in the NBDL to start out, he should have a better NBA career than Felton moving forward, so we'll see how it plays out.

Dakota Schmidt, RidiculousUpside.com (8/30/16)
Due to that tremendous D-League play, Marshall got signed by the Los Angeles Lakers to help bring some much needed PG depth on that injury-ravaged roster. Marshall did more than just add some depth, as he actually stood as the Lakers starting PG for most of his time with the team. In the 35 games that Marshall started, he averaged 8.1 points and 9.5 assists per game on 39% from the field and 37% from beyond the arc.

Yet again, the Lakers would end up waiving Marshall after the 2013-14 season, despite his solid play with the team. Just a few days after being waived, Marshall was picked up by the Bucks to add depth to their young back-court. In the opening few weeks of the season, Marshall was doing a great job in that role. Although he wasn’t a starter, like during his stint with the Lakers, Marshall was doing a great job of working as the team’s 2nd unit facilitator, as he averaged 10.2 points and 7.4 assists per 36 minutes.

Just as Marshall was getting acquainted with that role with the Bucks, Marshall’s bad luck continued. In a January 15th game against the New York Knicks, Marshall tore his right ACL which ultimately cut his season short.

Why It Would Be Smart For Kendall Marshall To Return To The NBA D-League
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,652

Re: Trade Discussion Part 3 (News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#223 » by og15 » Thu Sep 1, 2016 10:54 pm

Felton is a good enough pure PG for what the team needs, don't think Marshall gives much advantage over him. Felton can set up the offense and he can run the pick and roll well enough. He can defend better too. Marshall has been better in volume assists and 3PT shooting but he is a weak scorer and weak defender, and he is decently turnover prone.

Marshall's defense or lack thereof fightd the value his pure PG ability for this teams bench. Him and Jamal in the back court and anchored by Speights doesn't sound like a recipe for being able to defend anyone.

In terms of all-round production, Rivers brings more, better scorer, better defender, and to be fair, improving shooter it seems. Also just in terms of needing another guard on the team to defend well, the team has a greater need for a guy like Rivers with the right players around him than they do a guy like Marshall.

Marshall is a better starting PG fill in if you need playmaking from the position, but in this case we have Felton who did that for years, so it's okay. Marshall is not a starting caliber PG in the league though, he's way down in the ranking of PG's.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#224 » by og15 » Thu Sep 1, 2016 11:01 pm

Carl Landry could help some teams bench as a backup PF btw
N.O.R.E.
RealGM
And1: 240

Post#225 » by N.O.R.E. » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:39 am

Having been banned from the Trades and transactions board, I see this as an opportunity to take my crappy trade ideas to the team boards.

If the Clippers for whatever reason start slow, the WC is looking like the usual dog fight, and the whispers that DeAndre and CP3 don't get along grow louder, do you think Doc would consider the following:

Celtics trade: Jaylen Brown, Avery Bradley, Amir, Zeller (**deal done once extended players can be dealt), non BK 1st, Rozier or Jackson
Receive: DeAndre, Reddick, Pierce

DeAndre/Olynyk/Horford
Horford/Jerebko/Mickey
Crowder/Green/Pierce
Smart/Reddick/RJ Hunter
IT/Smart/Rozier or Jackson

The Celtics build a defensive juggernaught, while adding a perfect bench unit leader and scorer in Reddick. Pierce is brought back for teh feels.

Nuggets trade: Gallinari, Nurkic, Darrell Arthur (**see above)
Receive: Jaylen Brown, Tyler Zeller, Amir Johnson (EC)

Jokic/Zeller/Amir
Amir/Faried/Hernangomez
Barton/Brown/Chandler/M.Miller
G.Harris/Murray/Beasley
Mudiay/Nelson/Murray/Wolters?

The Nuggets continue with their youth movement and add a player who can become a lockdown defender, is locked into a ridiculously cheap contract and can develop along with the rest of the young core. Amir replaces Arthur as the veteran voice and great locker room guy. Losing Nurkic obviously hurts, however, he is due to be re-upped shortly. Zeller can be a capable back-up for Jokic, and his salary is less of an issue given the amount of long-term financial obligations given up in this deal.

Clips trade: DeAndre, Reddick, Pierce
Receive: Gallinari, Nurkic, Avery Bradley, Darrell Arthur (** see below), non BK 1st via Boston, Rozier or Demetrius Jackson

Nurkic/Speights/Stone
BG/Arthur/Bass
Gallo/Wes Johnson
Bradley/JC/Rivers
CP3/Rivers/Felton/Rozier or D.Jackson

The Clippers get a great return for DeAndre, adding quality players at most positions and restocking a depleted/mismanaged asset base. Gallo represents a huge upgrade at SF in my view, Nurkic is a player that can contribute now and continue to develop into an above average C. With the contracts given to largely offense-only talents JC and coach's son, Avery Bradley could be a huge boost on the defensive end and should already have a pretty decent relationship with Doc - perhaps easing the transition? Darrell Arthur is largely unheralded and underrated, but would be an ideal back up for Blake.

In any scenario where the Clippers have a prolonged weak start, I feel that stopping the rot quickly and showing CP3 and Blake their loyalty to them, and commitment to surrounding them with a winning team is paramount - not only if the intention is to extend this cycle, but also because the Lakers may start to regain their place as the more desirable franchise - and they also have the assets to build a super team quickly.
Trading DeAndre is the biggest gamble, but the most logical piece to move if they want to appease CP3. This deal upgrades two starting positions while giving the Clips quality depth to give the Warriors a run for their money.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,375

Post#226 » by nickhx2 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:57 am

no, he wouldn't. the deal is very, very bad for the clippers.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#227 » by Roscoe Sheed » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:17 am

I wonder if kg would be interested in playing for the clippers off the bench. He could still contribute 10 solid minutes a night. He still looked good on d last season
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#228 » by og15 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:46 pm

I was thinking the same thing. KG might some how end up on the Clippers as a backup C, but the team has enough bigs. The bench would also be stacking up former Celtics in this theoretical situation with Pierce, Bass, KG.
RKL
Junior
And1: 78

Post#229 » by RKL » Mon Oct 3, 2016 7:33 pm

Would Clippers pay JJ likely 15 million plus this summer?

Nick Young and 2 second round picks for JJ? :dontknow:
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#230 » by Forte IV » Mon Oct 3, 2016 8:51 pm

RKL wrote:Would Clippers pay JJ likely 15 million plus this summer?

:noway:
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#231 » by og15 » Mon Oct 3, 2016 8:57 pm

Yes, we will pay JJ, and lol at Nick Young
RKL
Junior

Post#232 » by RKL » Mon Oct 3, 2016 9:05 pm

Nick Young still has the 3 ball and is a scorer though :nod:

How many people do the Clippers have to pay next summer?
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#233 » by nickhx2 » Mon Oct 3, 2016 10:45 pm

15 for jj is a bargain
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#234 » by Neddy » Tue Oct 4, 2016 5:56 am

og15 wrote:

Yes, we will pay JJ, and lol at Nick Young

I agree, but I am also afraid of what Doc's plan is with Austin. we all know he ain't gonna be a full time PG and if he is our future SG, i may need to pick up a religion.
ehhhhh f it.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#235 » by nickhx2 » Tue Oct 4, 2016 6:05 am

letting jj go so you can start austin rivers is unfathomably dumb, and as dumb as i think doc is sometimes i don't think he is unfathomably dumb.
RKL
Junior

Post#236 » by RKL » Tue Oct 4, 2016 6:10 am

nickhx2 wrote:15 for jj is a bargain

If Austin Rivers is worth 11 million to Doc/Ballmer, he might as well ask for 20 million.

edit

Lou Will and two 2nd's for JJ :nod:
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#237 » by Neddy » Tue Oct 4, 2016 6:11 am

JJ better not give any reason for unfathimably dumb ones to allow such atrocity. as long as JJ can put up anything close to what he had done in 15-16 season, yeah it will be hard for Doc to let nepotism override logic. frankly, I think the probability is very low.

but if JJ has a terrible season, even if it is an outlier, the unfathomable can be possible. I truly hope not.
ehhhhh f it.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#238 » by nickhx2 » Tue Oct 4, 2016 3:33 pm

i think it's rather unusual for great shooters to fall off a cliff, so i wouldn't be too worried about it. i mean, kyle korver had a unique drop off but he seemed to fix himself over the course of the season.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#239 » by og15 » Tue Oct 4, 2016 9:43 pm

Korver's drop off was actually due to injury. He had ankle surgery and elbow surgery in the summer last year
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#240 » by nickhx2 » Tue Oct 4, 2016 10:45 pm

ya but he mentioned that he had to redo his mechanics to get his shot back. isn't that a pretty uncommon thing? i've never heard of a shooter having to rework their shot because of injury.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers