ImageImageImageImageImage

LeBron James?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

LeBron James? 

Post#1 » by Forte IV » Wed Feb 5, 2014 6:17 pm

I think I'm one of the few guys here who actually likes LeBron. I know he flops, but apparently the Clippers have been considering targeting LeBron this offseason via wiretap. If we end up getting cap or however we do it I do actually think it's a possibility, especially when LeBron and CP3 are really close friends ship wise (LeBron was one of CP's best men at his wedding). It says the heat would want back Blake Griffin. But one can only dream if we were able to keep him and have CP/LeBron/Blake as a big 3.

The Los Angeles Clippers have examined the possibility of acquiring LeBron James this offseason, according to sources.

The Miami Heat consider the Clippers to perhaps be the most serious competition to sign James if he opts out.

"This time is going to be different," a source close to James said about James' view of free agency. "If LeBron decides to look at other options it won't just be teams with cap space. He has 30 options if he wants them."

The Clippers will not have cap space to sign James outright and would require a sign-and-trade involving the cooperation of the Heat.

League executives believe the Heat would ask for Blake Griffin in return from the Clippers. Los Angeles would need to shed additional salary.

James respects Doc Rivers perhaps more than any coach he hasn't played for and is very close to Chris Paul.

"LeBron is not thinking about free agency right now, he's totally focused on the season," said one James associate. "In the summer he knows he can get to any team he wants to."
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
AlexCRO
Rookie
And1: 667

Re: LeBron James? 

Post#2 » by AlexCRO » Wed Feb 5, 2014 6:22 pm

hahaha really really... cmon.... XDDD
A winner is someone who recognizes his God- given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#3 » by No-Man » Wed Feb 5, 2014 6:24 pm

It's a S&T lol, in case LeBron truly wants to play for LAC you don't give up Blake, give up anything but CP3-Blake and get LeBron here.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#4 » by TheNewEra » Wed Feb 5, 2014 6:39 pm

You don't trade Blake and I think it only truly works if Blake is on the team as well.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#5 » by Forte IV » Wed Feb 5, 2014 6:48 pm

Yeah I'm under the assumption that he did in fact "force" his way to us he'd want to play with both CP and Blake.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

"So you're telling me there's a chance." 

Post#6 » by Ranma » Wed Feb 5, 2014 6:58 pm

Brian Windhorst and Ramona Shelburne (with contribution from Marc Stein), ESPN (2/5/14)
Under any scenario, the Clippers would have to make another maneuver to make a sign-and-trade work, primarily to shed some salary to get under the luxury tax. But it is not that complicated. The bottom line is this: If the Clippers were interested and James got interested, there's a deal that could be done whether it involves Griffin or another package of players.

For the biggest free agent of all like James, it is an option he knows he can leverage if it comes to that. Especially when there will be other suitors he could sign with straight up, which would force the Heat's hand if James decided he wanted to relocate again. The entire star free-agent market will wait on James' choices this summer.

It's another reminder about the dangers of assumption. If the Heat had made assumptions in February of 2010 they wouldn't have what they do now. If the Clippers had made assumptions over the past few years, they wouldn't have Chris Paul as their point guard or Doc Rivers as their coach and vice president right now.

As of now these types of moves may not seem likely but that shouldn't mean they should be considered impossible. The unlikely has been happening more and more in the NBA, which is in an era of unprecedented superstar movement over the past seven years since the Boston Celtics became a powerhouse when Kevin Garnett used his status to force a trade to a city he selected.

Sequel Time? LeBron's Next Decision

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#7 » by mttwlsn16 » Wed Feb 5, 2014 7:03 pm

No. I don't want to have to cheer for this clown. Easily one of my most disliked NBA players. Stay your ass in Miami
Ranma
RealGM

Fanning the Flames of Speculation 

Post#8 » by Ranma » Wed Feb 5, 2014 7:08 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

LeBron Really Likes CP3 & Doc 

Post#9 » by Ranma » Wed Feb 5, 2014 9:36 pm

More from the ESPN piece, which seems to have been updated with more stuff from Marc Stein:

Marc Stein (adding to original piece by Brian Windhorst and Ramona Shelburne), ESPN (2/5/14)
The James contingency has been examined by the Clippers, sources told ESPN. The Heat, one of the most thorough and thoughtful organizations in the league, are quite aware the Clippers could end up being a competitor if James elects to opt out. Perhaps the most serious competitor of all.

Primarily this is because of James' relationships with Paul and Rivers. Paul is one of James' best friends and the two have talked about playing with each other since they were in high school, when they met on the AAU and prep All-Star circuits. Paul is godfather to James' son Bryce and they were in each other's weddings.

In a classic "what if" moment in recent history, James urged the Cavs to attempt to draft Paul in 2005 but the team didn't have a first-round pick that season. Cleveland's attempts to trade into the draft were unsuccessful. The two stars later won gold medals playing together in the 2008 and 2012 Olympics for Team USA.

James respects Rivers perhaps more than any coach he hasn't played for, a side effect of playing four playoff series against Rivers when he was the coach of the Celtics. James developed a strong dislike for many of the Celtics players, but with each year he grew more fond of Rivers as an adversary.

Sequel Time? LeBron's Next Decision
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,384

Post#10 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed Feb 5, 2014 9:43 pm

mttwlsn16 wrote:No. I don't want to have to cheer for this clown. Easily one of my most disliked NBA players. Stay your ass in Miami

I don't dislike LeBron and would love to have him on the Clippers. The only thing I really don't like about him is how he went about announcing "the decision" last time. Other than that, he is a very likable player. One of the most unselfish superstars ever. He plays basketball the right way.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach

Post#11 » by mttwlsn16 » Wed Feb 5, 2014 9:48 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
mttwlsn16 wrote:No. I don't want to have to cheer for this clown. Easily one of my most disliked NBA players. Stay your ass in Miami

I don't dislike LeBron and would love to have him on the Clippers. The only thing I really don't like about him is how he went about announcing "the decision" last time. Other than that, he is a very likable player. One of the most unselfish superstars ever. He plays basketball the right way.

He is by far the worst flopper in the league. That isn't playing the game the right way, it's an embarrassment.
mj_shoefanatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 104

Post#12 » by mj_shoefanatic » Wed Feb 5, 2014 10:01 pm

Blake for Lebron? No thanks.
okpistolpete
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#13 » by okpistolpete » Wed Feb 5, 2014 11:41 pm

i'm not giving in to this nonsense. it's a non-story, as enticing as it is. lebron is concerned with one thing only: his legacy. that's only going to build in one of two ways: continuing to win championships in miami, or (more likely) erasing the one blemish he has: screwing over his hometown team. cleveland or miami. those are really the only two options i believe.

would i want him? of course! anyone who wouldn't want the potential greatest of all time is foolish. would i trade griffin or paul for him? no. because if he wants to come here, it means we hold the cards. but like i said, it aint happening.
azncorruptedo17
Starter
And1: 222

Post#14 » by azncorruptedo17 » Wed Feb 5, 2014 11:48 pm

next
Clipper fan since '95!!
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,384

Post#15 » by Roscoe Sheed » Thu Feb 6, 2014 3:04 am

mttwlsn16 wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:

He is by far the worst flopper in the league. That isn't playing the game the right way, it's an embarrassment.

I don't condone the flopping. That is wrong, however CP3 is even worse. What I meant by saying that he plays the right way is that he passes to the open man, he plays great defense, and doesn't take bad shots. That is the right way to play. Yeah, the flopping is bothersome, but nobody is perfect.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach

Post#16 » by mttwlsn16 » Thu Feb 6, 2014 3:15 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
mttwlsn16 wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:I don't dislike LeBron and would love to have him on the Clippers. The only thing I really don't like about him is how he went about announcing "the decision" last time. Other than that, he is a very likable player. One of the most unselfish superstars ever. He plays basketball the right way.

I don't condone the flopping. That is wrong, however CP3 is even worse. What I meant by saying that he plays the right way is that he passes to the open man, he plays great defense, and doesn't take bad shots. That is the right way to play. Yeah, the flopping is bothersome, but nobody is perfect.

CP3 is bad and I hate when he does it too but The Queen easily takes the cake.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#17 » by Neddy » Thu Feb 6, 2014 3:51 am

oh come on guys even tho there is no chance in hell for it to happen, but if we land Lebron while keeping CP3 and Blake to form a big 3 of our own, we would all cheer for the clipper dynasty and championships in a row.
ehhhhh f it.
Cracka2Hi
Junior
And1: 10

Post#18 » by Cracka2Hi » Thu Feb 6, 2014 5:00 am

I think even if you have to trade Blake to get LeBron you have to do it. It's like getting Jordan in his prime. I don't think there is a chance this happens but if LeBron wants to get here I think he would want Blake someone else said. So for the fun of it would Miami take DJ, Crawford and Barnes and a few #1's? They still be pretty good if they kept Wade and Bosh.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,196

Post#19 » by Clemenza » Thu Feb 6, 2014 6:40 am

I'm a fan of LeBron.. I'd love him on the Clippers... as long as Blake is still on the team. He's the face of the CLippers
DLaren
Pro Prospect
And1: 748

Post#20 » by DLaren » Thu Feb 6, 2014 6:42 am

I'm just happy that Blake's name continues to come-up in trade rumors...where there's smoke, there's fire.

If he responds by playing with a chip on his shoulder this post-season, all of these rumors go away.
If he collapses under the weight of the spot-light, I'm sure we'll have a package ready to execute.

Either way, it's a win for the Clippers.
1.Jordan 2.Kareem 3.Lebron 4.Magic 5.Bird 6.Russell 7.Duncan 8.Wilt 9.Kobe 10.Shaq

Return to Los Angeles Clippers