LeBron James?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Re: Father-and-Son Outgoing Package 

Post#121 » by esqtvd » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:21 am

Ranma wrote:
Neddy wrote:but I highly, highly doubt doc would send his son out to Cleveland.

unless there is a team out there who would love to facilitate a three way deal. but I still don't see it.

getting Kyrie on the other hand... could be possible even if we weren't on his list.

Well, Doc is more than welcome to join his son in Cleveland if that scenario could be realized. :clown:

In all seriousness, I don't see us jeopardizing our chances of acquiring LeBron next year by trading for Kyrie right now.

In all seriousness?
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Re: LeBron James? 

Post#122 » by Ranma » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:38 am

Neddy wrote:Im not talking about intentions, but the collective bargaining agreement's language on when a newly signed and traded players can be traded out. Can Blake be traded after signing his non sign-and-trade but a regular contract, and get traded a week or two after?

this is a legitimate question.

My apologies, Neddy. My finger kept slipping before I could finish the thought of my response in the previous post. Plus, I didn't get what you meant.

With regards to trading Griffin after just signing him, we wouldn't be able to complete a deal including him until mid-January per the ESPN Trade Machine. Below is a screenshot of the language found for Blake Griffin.

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#123 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:55 am

I knew that Mike Wise report was full of crap. It's good to know from a reputable NBA reporter that we still have a chance at landing the King.
Hype97
Freshman
And1: 10

Re: Center of Attention 

Post#124 » by Hype97 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:05 am

Ranma wrote:
Neddy wrote:BTW how would the lineup look like? we can't trade Blake or Gallo as they just signed their deals, and the bunch we got from CP3 trade also has to stay with the team for some time, then it's DJ+Johnson boys+Austin and we all know Austin isn't going anywhere. so, no center lineup of Blake-Gallo-Lebron for our front court? suppose we could move LeBron to any position and he could handle them all just fine.

Actually, I've argued elsewhere that a scenario where the Clippers would be better off if we could have convinced both CP3 and BG to re-sign together and dealt DJ away in order to facilitate the Gallinari trade. The only missing element was a first-round pick from Houston that was included along with Diamond Stone and Jamal Crawford in a package to Atlanta.

We know the Clippers shopped DJ around the draft and it's likely the organization already had Gallinari in mind at the time when they were doing this. DeAndre was offered for Andre Drummond, which Detroit reportedly turned down, as well as first-round draft picks. Even with his player option for the season after next, I'd think the Clippers would find a way to make it happen.

With Willis Reed and Montrezl Harrell on the roster, we'd be better off with Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, and Danilo Gallinari together. Javale McGee could also be pursued as a replacement for DJ. Remember, a lot of us proposed exactly that when DJ initially committed to Dallas and McGee proved serviceable for the Warriors' championship run.

A similar scenario would work in a theoretical LeBron trade this off-season even though I think that is highly unlikely.

Sign and trade would not have been available if CP and Blake both re-signed. We'd be way over the hard cap. Also we acquired Harrell in the trade for Chris so including him in even the most outlandish fantasies seems a bit far fetched wouldn't you say?
Ranma
RealGM

Alternative Scenario 

Post#125 » by Ranma » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:49 am

Hype97 wrote:Sign and trade would not have been available if CP and Blake both re-signed. We'd be way over the hard cap. Also we acquired Harrell in the trade for Chris so including him in even the most outlandish fantasies seems a bit far fetched wouldn't you say?

You're right about Harrell since that slipped my mind, but that's why I specifically referenced Javale McGee, who still remains unsigned with the Warriors uninterested in giving him anything more than the vet minimum.

I may be missing something, but even hard-capped, how would the Clippers be prevented from shipping out DeAndre Jordan for Danilo Gallinari when Jordan makes slightly more for 2017-18 than what Gallinari signed for? I did reference giving up DJ for a first-round pick but the scenario should work in a 4-way trade similar to what was done with the Hawks and Nuggets in the actual trade. The only difference is that we'd have another team theoretically forwarding its first-round pick to Atlanta for its part in facilitating the deal or maybe just convincing the Hawks to take Jordan instead of the first-round pick, whom they could either keep or trade later.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,167

Post#126 » by og15 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:00 pm

What's the hard cap? $123M? If Paul didn't decide to leave then he would have made $34.7M. Add him and Blake to salary of other guys and it's $124M.

I think there's a rule about not being able to go over the hard cap if you do a sign and trade. I don't know if you can even do a sign and trade if you are already over what the mark would be, but maybe if the trade brings you below.

It could probably have worked. DJ out, some assets and pick back. Pick goes to Denver, Stone and Jamal go to ATL. If you're trading DJ, I'd say also tag on Wesley Johnson. It's probably possible, but I'm glad for change.
Hype97
Freshman

Re: Alternative Scenario 

Post#127 » by Hype97 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:24 pm

Ranma wrote:
Hype97 wrote:Sign and trade would not have been available if CP and Blake both re-signed. We'd be way over the hard cap. Also we acquired Harrell in the trade for Chris so including him in even the most outlandish fantasies seems a bit far fetched wouldn't you say?

You're right about Harrell since that slipped my mind, but that's why I specifically referenced Javale McGee, who still remains unsigned with the Warriors uninterested in giving him anything more than the vet minimum.

I may be missing something, but even hard-capped, how would the Clippers be prevented from shipping out DeAndre Jordan for Danilo Gallinari when Jordan makes slightly more for 2017-18 than what Gallinari signed for? I did reference giving up DJ for a first-round pick but the scenario should work in a 4-way trade similar to what was done with the Hawks and Nuggets in the actual trade. The only difference is that we'd have another team theoretically forwarding its first-round pick to Atlanta for its part in facilitating the deal or maybe just convincing the Hawks to take Jordan instead of the first-round pick, whom they could either keep or trade later.

Sign and trades trigger the hard cap.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#128 » by nickhx2 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:27 pm

so i have a question: if a hard cap is triggered can't salary still be offloaded to get back under it? or is there some kind of penalty that stops you from making moves until the next season?
Hype97
Freshman

Post#129 » by Hype97 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:40 pm

To be honest I've never heard that question but my assumption is that if you send a trade to the league for approval that illegally takes you over the hard cap then the league won't allow that trade. I don't think it's something you can just jump back forth from as long as you end up on the right side at the end.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#130 » by og15 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:01 pm

nickhx2 wrote:so i have a question: if a hard cap is triggered can't salary still be offloaded to get back under it? or is there some kind of penalty that stops you from making moves until the next season?

If you are already over the hard cap mark, I do believe that you can make a sign and trade which puts you below the hard cap mark. After that trade though, then you can no longer go over the hard cap because you only got hard capped after the sign and trade.
    The 2011 CBA put further restrictions on sign-and-trades, with these restrictions maintained in the 2017 CBA. Since the 2013–14 season, the payroll of the receiving team cannot exceed the so-called "apron" (as of 2017–18 set at $6 million above the tax line) as a result of the trade, and a team that has used the taxpayers' MLE cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade in that season. Additionally, the apron becomes a hard salary cap for the first season after the signing. Teams above the apron before the trade cannot receive a player unless the trade leaves the team below the apron

So yea, AFTER the sign and trade, you must be below the apron. My number was wrong, the apron is actually $125M, so even with Paul and Griffin, it seems like the Clippers would still have been below the apron.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#131 » by nickhx2 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:08 pm

gotcha i see, good info, thanks, guys
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,089

Clippers Are Out Of The Running For Kyrie 

Post#132 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:52 pm

The way I see it, the Clippers missed the boat on a Kyrie Irving trade. The Clippers would have to trade DeAndre Jordan and/or Austin Rivers on salary alone, but it's the personal attachments with these two people. Griffin and Jordan are BFFs, Austin is Doc's son. If DJ is traded, Griffin will probably want a trade as well. If Austin is traded, Doc will quit his job. Furthermore, the Clipper's true asset, Chris Paul, was already traded to the Rockets earlier. Without Paul, LeBron's Banana Boat buddy and Team USA teammate, the Cavaliers want no part in the Clippers roster, especially since Irving was the Clippers 2011 1st round draft pick which was traded to Cleveland in order to dump Baron Davis's contract after losing all interest in playing for the Clippers (under the evil Donald Sterling regime).

Another reason why this trade could be bad is the mere fact the Clipper's defense will take a plummeting decline. Moute followed Chris Paul to Houston, there goes one defensive presence. Jordan is shipped to Cleveland, goodbye defense, hello Seven Seconds Suns. The Clippers would be transformed into a Mike D'Antoni team that will be forced to secure blow out victories of 20 points or more every single night just to stay alive.

Adding insult to injury, none of the Clippers players are proven Sudden Death shot makers. One person on YouTube suggested Gallinari will most likely be the designated person to take that 4th quarter last second non-tying buzzer beating game winner. Do the Clippers commit to a Sudden-Death-by-committee instead in the likelihood they are down 1 or 2 points in 4th quarter crunch time? With Irving on board, you at least have one proven clutch shooter. Who else on the Clippers is going to develop a Kobe gene?

The Sudden Death Shot is the very reason why I could see the Clippers miss the playoffs this year, with or without Kyrie or DeAndre.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#133 » by nickhx2 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:59 pm

how would you rate this youtube commenter's qualifications on a scale of 1-10
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,089

Post#134 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:28 am

nickhx2 wrote:how would you rate this youtube commenter's qualifications on a scale of 1-10

I'll let you scale the score. Because I'll link you to the video...

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#135 » by Neddy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:18 am

Wammy Giveaway wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:how would you rate this youtube commenter's qualifications on a scale of 1-10

I'll let you scale the score. Because I'll link you to the video...

your most qualified post so far.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

HomeBoys 

Post#136 » by Ranma » Wed Aug 9, 2017 6:49 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
JGOJustin
Pro Prospect
And1: 726

Post#137 » by JGOJustin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:40 pm

I don't believe the Laker thing one bit, but that's because of how I think they'll be this season.
@JamalCristopher - Come Back To California https://soundcloud.com/jamalcristopher/california
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#138 » by og15 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:55 pm

Makes sense, his off-season living is in LA, right? So it is the off-season, and if he is away from home, he is away from LA, so going back home would be going back to LA. It wouldn't make sense for him to say anything else but "when I'm back home in LA", but people like to go wild with everything.
Ranma
RealGM

Eaves "Knows for a Fact" LBJ & Co. Preparing for Move to LA in Near Future 

Post#139 » by Ranma » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:23 pm

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Foregone Conclusion? 

Post#140 » by Ranma » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:55 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Clippers