Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

LeBron Speculation 

Post#201 » by Ranma » Thu Mar 8, 2018 11:33 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Re: LeBron James? 

Post#202 » by QRich3 » Fri Mar 9, 2018 9:15 am

I hope he doesn't go to the 6ers, he'd kill Simmons development and would make a young exciting team all about him, as he does everywhere (rightfully). He should just stay in Cleveland, I get he doesn't like the ownership, but it's the clear best path for his career and his legacy, which he seems to care about a lot.
Ranma
RealGM

The Brow & Kawhi on Clippers, Please 

Post#203 » by Ranma » Fri Mar 9, 2018 4:40 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#205 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Mar 9, 2018 6:19 pm

QRich3 wrote:I hope he doesn't go to the 6ers, he'd kill Simmons development and would make a young exciting team all about him, as he does everywhere (rightfully). He should just stay in Cleveland, I get he doesn't like the ownership, but it's the clear best path for his career and his legacy, which he seems to care about a lot.

Yeah, I'm sure all those Finals appearances and maybe even rings would really ruin Simmons' development. :crazy:

The LeBron hate gets crazier by the year. When it gets to the point where people unironically argue that it would be bad for a team to add the GOAT to their roster, you know it's getting ridiculous. I don't mean to single you out because I see this narrative all the time.
Ranma
RealGM

Pu Pu Platter of Naysaying 

Post#206 » by Ranma » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:11 am

Wammy Giveaway wrote:There is a Clippers segment that can only be seen by subscribers: http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/22697981/kevin-pelton-lebron-james-future-los-angeles-lakers-clippers

Pelton mentions below that a series of unlikely dominos would have to be cleared in order to afford LeBron's asking price, which included all three of DJ, Austin and Teodosic opting out of their contracts for next season and dumping both Boban and Wes in separate deals. However, another avenue to clear significant cap space would be to trade Gallo away as well as DJ and Austin should they opt in.

Admittedly, I think we have a tall task in order to convince LeBron to come over but I also believe we are a viable destination and can make a strong case, especially since we'll have plenty of cap space in the season following the one he starts his new deal on. Even if we miss out on King James, I like our chances at securing one or two from Anthony Davis, Kawhi Leonard, Klay Thompson, and Paul George over the next two summers.

The ability to retain a core of Lou Williams, Patrick Beverley, Montrezl Harrell, Tobias Harris and even Avery Bradley has to hold appeal to a fellow competitor like James along with our cap flexibility to make further moves in the near future.

In all honesty, I think Houston has the most appeal if LBJ wants to continue to chase rings with CP3 and Harden, but myopically or not, I think the Clippers offer a better alternative than the Lakers or Cavaliers.

Kevin Pelton, ESPNinsider.com (3/9/18)

How Lakers (and Clippers) Can Roll Out the Red Carpet for LeBron

Marc J. Spears, TheUndefeated.com (1/30/18)
By making a money move that they believe is best for their future, the Clippers could have as much as about $27 million this offseason available in free agency if they waive guards Patrick Beverley and Milos Teodosic. (Thank you, ESPN.com’s Bobby Marks, for the financial help.) That would basically leave James or any other marquee free agent to play with Harris, oft-injured forward Danilo Gallinari, guard Austin Rivers and perhaps a heralded rookie next season. Now, if James signed and was patient, the Clippers could have potentially $40 million to $60 million available in the summer of 2019, when All-Star guards Klay Thompson and Jimmy Butler become free agents.

Coach Doc Rivers, general manager Lawrence Frank and Hall of Fame executive Jerry West would have to make a water-to-wine sales pitch to James for the Clippers to even be in consideration. As of now, James is not expected to consider the Clippers as a free agent, a source close to him said. A source close to the Clippers said they also don’t expect James to consider them in free agency. But the Clippers have to make the call.

Even a King’s Ransom Would Not Be Enough to Lure LeBron James to Clippers

Ramona Shelburne, ESPN.com (3/9/18)
At this stage in his career, James' focus has to be on finding the best place to continue to contend for championships. He's chasing history, not just the Warriors.

Those are the types of questions James will be weighing this summer. Sources close to James say they can see him playing until he's 40 years old. If he's able to do that, it would theoretically give him enough time to catch all-time greats like Bryant and Johnson, who each have five NBA titles (all with the Lakers). Michael Jordan remains a more distant target with six titles.

"If someone is pretending they know what LeBron is thinking, they're guessing," one source close to the situation says. "How could anyone know when he doesn't even know?"

"His decision won't be made to please others," one source close to the situation says. "It'll be made to please himself."

'LeBron to L.A.' is Going Strong, But Does King James Even Fit with the Lakers?
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#207 » by QRich3 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:24 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
QRich3 wrote:I hope he doesn't go to the 6ers, he'd kill Simmons development and would make a young exciting team all about him, as he does everywhere (rightfully). He should just stay in Cleveland, I get he doesn't like the ownership, but it's the clear best path for his career and his legacy, which he seems to care about a lot.

Yeah, I'm sure all those Finals appearances and maybe even rings would really ruin Simmons' development. :crazy:

The LeBron hate gets crazier by the year. When it gets to the point where people unironically argue that it would be bad for a team to add the GOAT to their roster, you know it's getting ridiculous. I don't mean to single you out because I see this narrative all the time.

I know you see it all in terms of heroes and villains, and Lebron is one of the heroes that you feel you have to come in his defense every time you perceive a slight, but that was no shot at Lebron.

Simmons would defo love to have Lebron next to him and get to the Finals every year, but he would have to shape his game way too much to fit next to Lebron. You know, sort of like Blake evolved in a different way we envisioned at first because he had to fit next to DJ. I'm sure either guy is happy to change for the sake of winning, but as a neutral fan, I want to see Simmons be the main playmaker in his team. I couldn't care less about how much he wins in Philly.
Ranma
RealGM

King James with Royal Staff for Body Works (UPDATED) 

Post#208 » by Ranma » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:51 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Snake-Oil Salesman Exposed 

Post#209 » by Ranma » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:37 pm

It's funny to think that at one point long ago, Doc was thought to be an asset in recruiting star players to join the Clippers, but as I've pointed out--much to the chagrin of Doc apologists--he's done more to drive good players away than bring them aboard. Yeah, he's good at whispering sweet nothings into the ears of unsuspecting players, but star players know better because information spreads quickly among the players' network.

As long as Doc is here, we're not going to land LeBron James or anybody of note for that matter. You think CP3's low opinion of Doc isn't a factor with LeBron? This is why I think Doc will be gone eventually over the next couple of years. I don't see us extending him and I certainly hope that won't happen, but I think the Clippers are putting on a front to get compensation in order to let Doc coach elsewhere while quietly searching for his replacement under the radar.

If no good candidates are available, there's not much point of letting go of Doc and eating his contract, especially when he's done a good job of just coaching this past season. However, if a prime free agent is actually going to consider us, I'm fairly certain Doc will be gone one way or the other.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Re: Snake-Oil Salesman Exposed 

Post#210 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:52 pm

Ranma wrote:I don't see us extending him and I certainly hope that won't happen, but I think the Clippers are putting on a front to get compensation in order to let Doc coach elsewhere while quietly searching for his replacement under the radar.

I could maybe see this theory being true if Ballmer had ever said or done anything to suggest that he isn't 100% on board with Doc. But by all accounts, he's been totally loyal to Doc this entire time. So I don't think it's a leverage play, I think he's seriously coming back. And that means he's getting an extension too, since he won't be brought back as a lame duck.

If no good candidates are available, there's not much point of letting go of Doc and eating his contract, especially when he's done a good job of just coaching this past season.

There are always good candidates available. This franchise just has no imagination and is willing to settle for Doc's mediocre-at-best results.

However, if a prime free agent is actually going to consider us, I'm fairly certain Doc will be gone one way or the other.

I don't. I think Ballmer actually believes that Doc is this amazing coach that everyone wants to play for. And when we keep getting rejected by free agents, he'll just keep reaching for excuses instead of asking himself why Doc's team can't attract any stars.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#211 » by esqtvd » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:33 pm

It's all moot. This roster is not ready to contend in the West against GSW and the Rockets even WITH LeBron.

Marc J. Spears, TheUndefeated.com (1/30/18)
By making a money move that they believe is best for their future, the Clippers could have as much as about $27 million this offseason available in free agency if they waive guards Patrick Beverley and Milos Teodosic. (Thank you, ESPN.com’s Bobby Marks, for the financial help.) That would basically leave James or any other marquee free agent to play with Harris, oft-injured forward Danilo Gallinari, guard Austin Rivers and perhaps a heralded rookie next season. Now, if James signed and was patient, the Clippers could have potentially $40 million to $60 million available in the summer of 2019, when All-Star guards Klay Thompson and Jimmy Butler become free agents.

If LeBron ever joins the Clippers it won't be until next year. And yes, I expect he's poisoned against Doc via his friendship with Chris anyway, although the more stuff comes out, it's Chris who seems to be the malcontent, and I'm still not convinced that getting away from Blake--the person, the player, and the huge sal cap load--wasn't more the primary motivating factor.

If I have to bet, I'll go with Philly on a one-year contract. Dumping JJ would open up $23M just like that.

https://thesixersense.com/2018/04/09/should-philadelphia-76ers-free-agency-aim-at-lebron-james/

[Oh and to my pal AZ Jeff---You were right, Fultz is looking great. Although he still can't shoot.]
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Ranma
RealGM

Leonard Leading to LeBron? 

Post#212 » by Ranma » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:14 am

I'm obviously jumping the gun, but if he Clippers did somehow secure Kawhi Leonard this off-season, it could very much put us in play for LeBron James or maybe Paul George. There is talk via Nate Robinson that Leonard wants to make a bigger name for himself, especially with regards to endorsements, while returning home to So. Cal. Such talks have picked up steam recently with Leonard's absence from the Spurs' bench during the opener in the playoffs.

Kawhi is a noted favorite of Jerry West's and if the Logo can somehow secure him in trade, he'd position the Clippers as the more desirable destination in Los Angeles over the Lakers if winning is the priority for premier free agents this off-season.
Popovich
Pro Prospect
And1: 293

Post#213 » by Popovich » Tue May 1, 2018 1:31 pm

I always respected James but I was never a fan of James game, I thought that he is just relying on his physical superiority, never admired his fundamental skills. However I have liked his unselfishness and level of his professionalism from since he appeared as a high-school superstar. At the end when I now see what James is doing right at this very moment and how he is able to basically "alone" beat another PO team, how he is not getting old and how he never gets injured, hats down, I bow to king....I mean he is the best and I am starting to like him . Yet, let's pause for a second, let me rethink..hmm.. Harden also deserves MVP, then Durant is doing his thing and nobody can stop him, guard him or even challenge him, Davis is having one of the best seasons ever , so who is THE best player in the world. For me it's so hard to say because I love what Houston brought to the NBA and how they upgraded GSW invention of new modern basketball style. Coach Pop said you got to adapt and you have to accept it elsewhere you will be left aside. James is not belonging to that new style concept he is doing his own old stuff and imagine what would be if James is having another superstar on his team?
Also does anyone think what I am thinking that today like never before we have so many great players playing in their prime and that it's very difficult to achieve unanimous agreement over the who is the best issue?
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#214 » by Quake Griffin » Tue May 1, 2018 1:59 pm

It may be difficult. I see the argument for Durant.

But LeBron is the best player in the NBA to me.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

Bill Simmons & David Griffin Talk LeBron (UPDATED) 

Post#215 » by Ranma » Thu May 10, 2018 8:05 am

Read on Twitter

Bill Simmons, TheRinger.com (5/9/18)
Simmons: If [LeBron] leaves [Cleveland now], there’s no safety net whatsoever other than the Brooklyn pick. ... I think [the pick has the eighth-best odds]. But [the Cavaliers are] in salary cap hell and there’s no real way for them to bounce out of it. … Now if LeBron makes the Finals, it becomes much more unrealistic, I think, for him to leave. And it also doesn’t really seem like there’s the right team for him [in free agency]. Philly’s had a lot of buzz, I would say since January, February, and I don’t think it’s any secret that there’s some overlapping friendships and business relationships, and Ben Simmons is there, and obviously it’s a possibility. What you know of LeBron, could you see him joining someone else’s team like that again—to basically join the Simmons-Embiid-Process thing and kind of insert himself in this? Because he did it that one other time with Dwyane Wade, and even though it worked out all right that first year, he took so much **** for it. I just find it hard to believe he’s going to do that again at this point of his career. What do you think?

Griffin: I think he’s as likely to join Bill Simmons in L.A. as he is Philly. The reason I say that is, knowing LeBron like I do, when he makes his mind up that something is the main thing for him, it is. And he can bring about whatever reality he wants to. He’s a savant as well—he believes his presence anywhere makes them at least a cocontender, so I don’t think he’s going to make his decision necessarily based on where he has the best chance to win. I think it’s going to be about what’s the best expression for what he wants the next phase of his legacy to look like. And I don’t have any idea what that is. I really don’t. But I don’t think we know any of the things he’s going to [base] the decision on.

It’s funny: I think the trade [deadline] thing and Hail Mary are some things that actually work in [the Cavaliers’] favor to this extent. When LeBron’s on a one-year contract every year, you don’t get to be long-term sustainable. … You have to win right now and put him in a position or frame of mind where he believes he’s going to win in the future. ... So to some degree, he puts himself in that situation as well. And I think he appreciates that because it’s what gives him the ability to make Cleveland do what they did—he doesn’t care whether Cleveland has nothing left if he walks. He cares that Cleveland believes in him enough to invest in him, and I think they did that. So the message they’re sending to him is, “Look, we still get it.” That’s meaningful, and if you’re Dan Gilbert, you really have to do that.

David Griffin on How the NBA’s Batman-and-Robin Effect Broke Up Kyrie Irving and LeBron James

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Edit: Added more summarizing tweets.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#216 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Jun 9, 2018 3:18 am

I think we are a good destination and I think with Jerry sweet talking anybody we should be viewed as a dark horse to acquire this man's services.

If you put our situation in a Laker jersey, people would swear he has a good opportunity here.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#217 » by esqtvd » Sat Jun 9, 2018 6:08 am

Quake Griffin wrote:I think we are a good destination and I think with Jerry sweet talking anybody we should be viewed as a dark horse to acquire this man's services.

If you put our situation in a Laker jersey, people would swear he has a good opportunity here.

The only thing we have is a SF, which is Bron's position, and a 6th man. I love Pat Bev but he's a 6'1" combo guard who only scores 10 or 12 ppg.
Ranma
RealGM

LeBron & the Logo Linked in History 

Post#218 » by Ranma » Sat Jun 9, 2018 6:28 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#219 » by esqtvd » Sat Jun 9, 2018 7:47 am

Chris Bosh on LeBron: ‘I Think He Goes to Houston. It’s a Star Power League’

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/chris-bosh-lebron-needs-some-help/

After KD's all-time weak move to GSW--and now with 2 Finals MVP awards for licking the whipped cream off the Warrior machine's tailpipe-- LeBron's certainly off the hook for The Decision and anything he might do now.

I like Bron to Philly best because he wouldn't be the cherry on top, or even that last little push over the hump, he'd be the guy who taught those NBA fetuses how to win and carried them the first steps of the way, maybe to multiple rings. It would be an all-time champ move.

But Houston's closer to LA, and in the same conference so there's a lot more games in LA, PHX, and SF so he can steal more time at home. And they'd be co-favorites for the title right out of the gate.

Bron would have to take less $$ and so would CP3--no small thing because [iirc] Bron has never taken less than the max before, and CP is already a year behind garnering his last megacheck. But for these two Banana Boat pals to play together at last--and probably the last shot to play together while still in their prime--well, maybe, just maybe.

Houston came within one game of the NBA Finals. When Morey was asked about the level to which he’s still “obsessed” with beating Golden State, he was unabashed: “I’d say 10.” I make Morey moves.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/6/8/17442704/houston-rockets-team-of-summer
Ranma
RealGM

HoopsHype's Prescribed Path to LeBron 

Post#220 » by Ranma » Sat Jun 9, 2018 7:56 am

Frank Urbina, HoopsHype.com (6/8/18)
Los Angeles Clippers

Over the past year, there’s been heavy scuttle connecting James to a team from Los Angeles. But it’s usually regarding the one that wears gold and purple, not red and blue.

However, that changed late in Jan. 2018 when the New York Times’ Marc Stein reported on the Los Angeles Clippers having interest in recruiting James this offseason.

Read on Twitter

Concerning the second part of Stein’s tweet, the Clippers weren’t able to move either DeAndre Jordan or Lou Williams at the trade deadline. In fact, the latter played so well in his brief time with the team that he convinced L.A.’s management to actually lock him up long-term on a three-year, $24 million deal.

So for James-to-the-Clippers to pick up steam and become plausible, Los Angeles will have to hope Jordan opts out of the final year of his contract (many expect him to, but with how cap-space poor most of the league will be this summer, it’s far from a guarantee), on top of renouncing Avery Bradley’s free-agent rights (the two-guard has a $13.2 million cap hold on the books this offseason) while also hoping one of either Austin Rivers or Milos Teodosic opts out.

Simple enough.

(Los Angeles could always stretch and waive Wesley Johnson or Boban Marjanovic, try to trade Danilo Gallinari or decline their team option on Patrick Beverley, but any of those would be absolute last-resort moves.)

Only then will the Clippers have enough cap space to sign James to the max contract he assuredly will command.

Because the four-time MVP has been in the league for over 10 years, he is automatically eligible for a max deal that starts at 35 percent of the salary cap. Thus, using the projected cap of $101 million and assuming a three-year deal with a player option on Year-3 (i.e., the exact type of deal he’s coming off of with Cleveland), that would amount to a $111.4 million agreement between any non-Cavs team and James.

But before we get ahead of ourselves, we must ponder: Why exactly would James join the Clippers? Especially a Clipper squad without DeAndre, a two-time All-NBA 3rd Team selection and a player James was reportedly interested in the Cavs going after at the 2018 trade deadline?

Without the 7-footer, James would be joining a Clipper team whose core consists of Williams, Tobias Harris, Patrick Beverley and Montrezl Harrell, plus two late 2018 lottery picks. Sure, L.A. could deal the two first-rounders for an established player, but would that nucleus be that much of an upgrade over the present-day Cavs?

Maybe, but it’s not a certainty, either.

The most recent reports on this topic (via the Undefeated’s Marc Spears) stated that even people within the Clippers organization don’t really expect James to consider them in free agency.

But existing in a huge market gives them a puncher’s chance, and with Jerry West at the helm and Doc Rivers extended as head coach, they can’t totally be ruled out as a potential James landing spot.

Nine Potential LeBron James Landing Spots in Free Agency

Return to Los Angeles Clippers