ImageImageImageImageImage

LeBron James?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Brotherhood in Our Neighborhood? 

Post#61 » by Ranma » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:44 am

I find myself in a bit of a quandary. As a long-time fan, it has been my dream to see a Clippers' championship but that such a team would primarily feature homegrown players for our first title. Aside from Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan, and the two NBDL prospects, our current roster is made up of players acquired from other teams including Chris Paul and J.J. Redick. Obviously, I have no qualms about Redick and Paul being on the team, but it provides me with the self-realization that our team already isn't really homegrown and, under Doc Rivers, will never be so. Does that mean, I'm not rooting for us to win a Larry O' Brien trophy? No. I guess it's a case of beggars can't be choosers, which for me prefaces the scenario where LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony unite to join Chris Paul in order to bring a Clippers championship banner to Staples Center.

In the past and as recently as today, in fact, I have been philosophically and steadfastly opposed to taking such a shortcut route towards our ultimate goal. However, after reading the rather lengthy Bleacher Report article by Howard Beck, I find myself more open to the idea. Below are choice excerpts from that piece. While it seems like a lot, it is actually a small portion of the entirety of the article. [Mods: If I need to trim down or remove some of the excerpts to meet the community guidelines, please let me know.]

Now why am I more open to the Brotherhood scenario in Los Angeles? I'm not saying it's my preferred choice or even acceptable, because frankly I'm still not sure what to think, but I admittedly find myself more open to the idea in this case for whatever reason(s). Part of it has to do with roster fit. Part of it has to do with relating my experiences of playing team basketball to the LeBron-Carmelo relationship described in the Bleacher Report piece where teammates build each other up and complement one another as a functional unit. Part of it may have to do with being desperate and more resigned to Doc's shortcomings. In any case, it is personally not the ideal scenario for the Clippers to get its first ever championship in franchise history.

As Griffin has begun his 4-game suspension before being active and available for this season, I was contemplating how much of an adjustment this team would need to make in order to accommodate his presence. I'm not saying Griffin makes us worse, but I am concerned with how his presence affects our current style of play and have been even before his injury/incident. While Blake is an able playmaker, he tends to slow the flow of ball movement as he is slower to make smart decisions with the basketball than Chris. On top of that, his reliance on the mid-range game during the regular season causes some spacing issues for both Redick and DJ. Plus, the over-reliance on his mid-range shot--while significantly improved--is not as efficient or frankly valuable as a CP3 mid-range shot, Redick 3-pointer, or Jordan slam. In Blake's absence, Chris Paul has also been more aggressive early and often like we have all wanted him to be. What happens now with Blake taking on more possessions?

Again, I'm not saying we're better off without Blake, but these are legitimate concerns when recent statistics show how much more potent our offense has been under Paul's stewardship in Griffin's absence. Plus, our defense has actually improved to being among the best teams in the league. There is definitely food for thought here.

Now speaking of LeBron and Melo, let me first say that I have proactively rooted against them as I view LeBron's leadership as overrated and Carmelo's selfish decision-making on and off the court not conducive to building winning teams. Having said that, I can't deny that stylistically LBJ plays the game very close to how my ideal player would with his playmaking and defense. Anthony is a natural scorer with preternatural ability. What I found of particular interest is that Carmelo Anthony purportedly had playmaking ability and actually emulated playmakers like Anfernee Hardaway (one of my all-time favorite players), Lamar Odom, and Scottie Pippen.

I've even heard of Carmelo playing great defense under Coach K when he was on the Olympic team, so there has been a belief that Melo had the ability to be more well-rounded if he wanted to be. I simply wrote him off as not wanting to be that committed and more inclined to coast on his natural abilities. However, the article points to the possibility that his circumstances--part of which, was of his own doing--didn't allow for it. I used to think Rudy Gay had the ability and inclination to be an all-around talent but was mis-handled by his coaches both in the NBA and college. This line of thinking may actually apply to Carmelo Anthony. I'm not saying I believe it yet, but my eyes are more open to this possibility. If that were true, the question would be is it too late for him to change his spots now?

What is encouraging is that Anthony has supposedly made more of an effort to be a playmaker given his career high of 4.2 assists per game this season as well as his 7.9 rebounds per game (just shy of his 8.1 rpg career watermark). He's still an inefficient volume shooter, but there is no doubt he's a more talented offensive player than Griffin. The Chris-Paul bump may get the most out of him as long as he's inclined and committed to playing team ball.

Would I trade Blake Griffin for Carmelo Anthony straight-up for each other? Not a chance. Kevin Durant, on the other hand...however, what if that allowed for LeBron James to sign on as a free agent at a discounted rate? Is this realistic? I'm inclined not to think so. Such a scenario would present its own problems. Would we have to trade DJ to make it work? Would we have to take on Dwayne Wade and/or J.R. Smith as well?

In any case, if it were to happen, it should happen soon rather than indulging the Brotherhood fantasy during their twilight years a la Paul Pierce. The one obvious benefit to the Brotherhood of CP3-LeBron-Melo representing the Los Angeles Clippers is that it would be in Doc's wheelhouse given his "leadership" in handling the quartet of Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, and Rajon Rondo in Boston.

Howard Beck, BleacherReport.com (3/23/16)
"I think they love one another," said Mike Krzyzewski, who has coached James and Anthony for more than a decade with the U.S. national team. "It's so damn genuine, and it's so cool to see...They have each others' back, on everything."

NBA friendships can be ephemeral, forming and dissolving as quickly as cloud patterns. This one is different, substantial—a rarity between two stars of James and Anthony's caliber and rarer still for two players who have been rivals since high school.
What if Anthony—who was later mentored by Billups in Denver and Rasheed Wallace in New York—had the benefit of their veteran wisdom from day one? As teammates over the years will attest, Anthony has always been at his best when paired with a strong point guard and seasoned veterans.

"That ball-stopping mentality that Carmelo has? He wouldn't have had that if he was a Piston," Billups said. "We wouldn't let him play like that. He would have been a much better player than he is now—and he's a great player now.

"This guy would have been," Billups said, pausing to chuckle for a moment, "he would have been an absolute icon, because winning takes you there."
Soon, they will all be neighbors, as well, with James and Wade recently buying summer homes in Los Angeles, where Anthony and Paul already spend the offseason.

James and Anthony, who have known each other the longest, are the hub of this basketball Rat Pack, the tightest pair among the four.
As a high school senior, Anthony averaged six assists, in addition to his 21.7 points and 9.1 rebounds per game.

"All he wanted to do was win," said Steve Smith, the longtime head coach at Oak Hill Academy.

If you asked Anthony then to name his favorite NBA players, he would list Penny Hardaway and Lamar Odom—long, multiskilled stars who played a complete game. He aspired to be just like them.

"He was a phenomenal passer," said Troy Weaver, the former Syracuse assistant coach, who recruited Anthony in high school.

The 2003 NBA draft guide, listing Anthony's strengths, noted: "He is an unselfish player who can make the pass on the move or out of a double-team in the low post."

"I never thought that Carmelo got credit for his well-rounded game," said Weaver, who is now assistant general manager for the Oklahoma City Thunder. "It's like they pigeonholed him as a scorer. And that's not who he really was. I think that kind of was thrust on him."

Somewhere along the way, the playmaking was de-emphasized, first in Denver and then in New York, as Anthony evolved into a volume shooter, whether by necessity or by choice. And that has made it more challenging to create the right supporting cast.

Anthony needs a co-star to share the scoring burden, but he also needs to be the No. 1 option, with strong passers and defenders around him to hide his deficiencies.
"Playmaking has never been his game, even though he can," Wade said. "What you have to do is put people around that allows Carmelo to be Carmelo....Not saying he can't pass, but he's a scorer. He's not LeBron James. It's not his makeup, at all."
"I saw his physicality," Anthony said of James. "I fell in love with his game right then and there."

"A little skinny kid out of Baltimore, braids in his hair," James said of Anthony. "I just remember coming back home and telling my high school friends, 'Man, I played against one of the best guys I ever played in my life so far.'"

Anthony was only there for a day, but James quickly took note of his rare combination of size, strength, ball-handling and shooting skills. He reminded James of Lamar Odom and Scottie Pippen.

Brotherhood: As Their Careers Diverge, LeBron and Carmelo Share Unique Friendship
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
kylem4711
Sixth Man
And1: 518

Re: LeBron James? 

Post#62 » by kylem4711 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:51 pm

i'm a fan of the clippers. It'll definitely be weird if the brotherhood comes to fruition, but at the end of the day i would be extremely happy. I want to clippers to win a championship. period. For some reason, when ballmer purchased the tea, i almost expected him to spend the money to make something like this happen.

I also really dont think that a core of CP3, DJ, and Blake will ever be good enough to win it all. Its sad to say, but is probably a reality.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,407

Re: Team USA Clippers 

Post#63 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:57 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:From Generally Speaking - A San Diego Sports Podcast

John Gennaro wrote:If you take money out of the equation, is there a way that LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade and Chris Paul can get on the same team before they're all broken down and worthless? Yes, and the only way that is happening is on the L.A. Clippers. But the path to that happening is not crazy. The only crazy thing about it would be LeBron leaving the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Remember that Doc Rivers is the GM. He's one of the worst GMs in basketball. He knows the value of a world championship for himself and his team, and the value of listening to his star players. If James, Wade and Paul said to Doc, "We wanna play with you, but you have to call Phil Jackson on the Knicks right now and trade them Blake Griffin for Carmelo Anthony. We don't want him, he's not in our crew. We wanna play with our crew. We want the dream team in L.A." Doc would do that in a heartbeat because he and James (and possibly Paul himself) know the Clippers are not good enough to beat this Warriors team. The current Cavaliers team is not good enough to beat the Warriors or the Spurs. You have to do something special to get on their level. A starting lineup of Paul-Wade-Melo-James-Jordan is on their level.

The problem with that starting line up is that only two guys can really shoot the 3 ball- CP3 and Melo. LeBron use to be able to shoot 3s, but not any more for some reason. Teams would pack the paint on them too much. Redick would still be here hopefully and would have to be on the court a lot to spread the floor.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,089

Re: Team USA Clippers 

Post#64 » by Wammy Giveaway » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:45 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:The problem with that starting line up is that only two guys can really shoot the 3 ball- CP3 and Melo. LeBron use to be able to shoot 3s, but not any more for some reason. Teams would pack the paint on them too much. Redick would still be here hopefully and would have to be on the court a lot to spread the floor.

In The Brotherhood scenario, I'm not sure if Redick stays with the club. Wade would take Redick's spot in the starting lineup. He'd either have to be a bench player, or he gets traded. And if he gets traded, the worst nightmare for the Clips is Redick signing with the Warriors and getting a free pass to a ring. Besides which, none of The Brotherhood members is a full-fledged center. DJ must stay for their defense to remain elite.

And then there's Doc's problem with love. Paul Pierce and his son Austin would still be on the roster - he'd never trade those guys, even if it were to make room for Carmelo Anthony. This is why I've been a proponent for Doc trading a pick to get Danny Ainge from Boston, so that he can relieve Doc of the pressures of being a father and a general manager, and not allowing his personal loyalty to get in the way of his chase for a championship. Even if Ainge did come, Pierce and Austin would be mainstays.

Theoretically, that leaves the Clippers with just eight roles to fill to meet with the NBA's 15-man maximum.
Ranma
RealGM

Dealing Away Redick is a Deal-Breaker 

Post#65 » by Ranma » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:37 am

Even with the Brotherhood scenario, I was reluctant to take on D-Wade to make it happen. J.J. Redick may only have a few productive years left in his body, but they're more valuable than what Dwayne Wade has left. I guess it's possible that I'd change my mind but trading away Redick would be a deal-breaker for me. Our team would arguably be more dangerous with Kevin Durant and Redick paired together along with Chris Paul than it would with LeBron and Melo teaming with CP3.

As I mentioned before, the risk of going the Brotherhood route would be to also taking in the likes of J.R. Smith and a deteriorating Wade. Still, if we could get away with LeBron and Melo teaming up with Paul and Redick, that is quite the lethal offense. Lest we forget, J.J. is actually the most accurate 3-point shooter in the league currently ahead of either Splash Brother.

What scares me is that, even if presented with the opportunity of the Brotherhood in Los Angeles, Doc would still find a way to foul things up in acquiescing to LeBron's roster makeup wishes [see Kevin Love]. Then again, whose personnel decision-making is actually worse: Doc or LeBron's?
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Wammy Giveaway
Starter

NBA Conspiracy At Its Finest 

Post#66 » by Wammy Giveaway » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:15 am

Ranma wrote:What scares me is that, even if presented with the opportunity of the Brotherhood in Los Angeles, Doc would still find a way to foul things up in acquiescing to LeBron's roster makeup wishes [see Kevin Love]. Then again, whose personnel decision-making is actually worse: Doc or Lebron's?

I wonder if LeBron has leeway to mistakes because he's been to multiple NBA Finals. Doc hasn't been in an NBA Finals ever since he lost the rematch to Phil Jackson's Lakers.

LeBron loves power, but I think he knows the price of having too much of it, in that it drains him mentally. Last year's Finals may have been the prime example. Doc doesn't seem to care about the consequences of having too much power as long as he clings to it. His pitfalls are more evident and, when viewed in highlight, James Dolan-like.

It would be Doc's call because he wants the positive credit on The Brotherhood. The media would be swayed by him to believe that it was his idea to go after LeBron, Melo and Wade to save Chris Paul's legacy, and he wouldn't care if he had to erase any player who was drafted under the old Clipper regime. If Doc got rid of Griffin, Jordan, Wilcox and Dawson to assemble The Brotherhood, there would be no homegrown Clipper left. The roster would be comprised solely of players drafted by different teams who are so powerful and better than any Clipper they ever had in the franchise's life span because of the sole belief that a Clipper player is automatically labelled a loser. It would cost Doc and Paul their legitimacy as elite coach and player respectively if they attempted this, for they would be portrayed as "desperate for a conference finals appearance," even if the Clippers never make the Finals.

This is why I have my doubts with The Brotherhood. The only way I could see this coming to fruition is if the Clippers lose in the 2nd round to the Warriors in embarrassing fashion, and Steve Ballmer decides to cut bait, followed by Doc willing to give up his GM job only if the Clippers could get his friend Danny Ainge. It would be one of the most shrewd moves in NBA history, almost like what Jim Buss did in trying to get Chris Paul to the Lakers before David Stern vetoed his idea. Coincidentally, the new CBA negotiations are on the horizon, with a lockout looming. History could repeat itself, and the Clippers could find themselves reverting back to the loser ways when the evil Donald Sterling was running things should things fall apart.

Ranma, my question to you is this: do you think Doc would lose to the Warriors on purpose just so that he can get The Brotherhood to L.A. and cheat their way to a championship as his Celtics last hurrah? How would the Clippers be looked upon if this happened? Would Steve Ballmer be welcomed to this, even if Doc were to force his hand into getting Danny Ainge?
Ranma
RealGM

Not Even Doc Would Engage in Such Vile Malpractice 

Post#67 » by Ranma » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:04 am

Wammy Giveaway wrote:Ranma, my question to you is this: do you think Doc would lose to the Warriors on purpose just so that he can get The Brotherhood to L.A. and cheat their way to a championship as his Celtics last hurrah? How would the Clippers be looked upon if this happened? Would Steve Ballmer be welcomed to this, even if Doc were to force his hand into getting Danny Ainge?

I know you like to look into the conspiracy theories, Wammy, but no, Doc would not lose on purpose in the postseason. No self-respecting NBA coach playing in the playoffs would ever entertain such a notion. If you're going to lose, you might as well tank for a lottery pick or better draft choice. Even with the tanking approach, it is the GM who initiates such a strategy while the players and coaches are typically trying their best to win during the regular season and develop team chemistry and a game plan. There may be notable exceptions like a Byron Scott happy to conduct Kobe's farewell tour this season, but by and large, coaches and players compete.

Given how Doc has yet to be able to put together a complete roster during his time here, does he really need to throw games in order to lose against the historic Warriors? Sooner or later, Doc has to find a way to beat the Warriors and you don't do that by laying down every time you face them. You learn by competing and hopefully improving upon your shortcomings. Even hypothetically, there is no guarantee that you would ensure the Brotherhood of coming to the Clippers given that the decision is in LeBron's hands and he previously committed to winning a title for his home state of Ohio. Plus, this also is predicated on Carmelo Anthony being on the roster and he's under contract with the Knicks for a few more years. Yes, a Griffin trade with a LeBron promise would rectify that but that is far from a guarantee.

The Clippers would be even more hated than we are now if the Brotherhood came to Los Angeles. We'd be as reviled, if not more so, than the Miami Heatles. Doc is already heavily criticized for his failures as a GM and has even been looked at as being overrated as a coach given that he has not won a title without the superstar firepower of KG and Pierce along with Allen and Rondo. Doc needs to win to salvage his reputation as it continues to wane with each passing postseason failure.

I also think you're overplaying the Danny Ainge possibility. Doc left in the first place to get the power that Ainge had. Ainge has shown that he can be successful without Doc by hand-picking Brad Stevens to rebuild the Celtics. Ainge is practically a Celtic lifer who enjoys autonomy and a reputable status with the franchise he's spent most of his career with. Why would he sacrifice that to hitch his wagon to Doc's when Glenn has shown he is out of his depth and basically abandoned him and the franchise?

I suppose Ballmer could throw a lot of money to convince Ainge to take on the challenge, but at that point, it would be a Zune-like mistake to waste that much money only to continue to stick with Doc. You may as well try to go after Gregg Popovich or Mike Krzyzewski even if you have to swallow Doc's remaining deal.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter

Re: Not Even Doc Would Engage in Such Vile Malpractice 

Post#68 » by Wammy Giveaway » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:02 pm

Ranma wrote:I also think you're overplaying the Danny Ainge possibility. Doc left in the first place to get the power that Ainge had. Ainge has shown that he can be successful without Doc by hand-picking Brad Stevens to rebuild the Celtics. Ainge is practically a Celtic lifer who enjoys autonomy and a reputable status with the franchise he's spent most of his career with. Why would he sacrifice that to hitch his wagon to Doc's when Glenn has shown he is out of his depth and basically abandoned him and the franchise?

In my opinion, I don't think Doc ever abandoned the Celtics. The only evidence I have of this is his collection of former Celtics when he came to L.A. First it was Glen "Big Baby" Davis, then Dahntay Jones, Nate Robinson, Lester Hudson, Paul Pierce, and now Jeff Green. Since his first season as Clipper coach, there had always been at least one of Doc's former Celtics. Doc's yet to have a full season where there is not a single Celtic familiar.

Ranma wrote:Given how Doc has yet to be able to put together a complete roster during his time here, does he really need to throw games in order to lose against the historic Warriors? Sooner or later, Doc has to find a way to beat the Warriors and you don't do that by laying down every time you face them. You learn by competing and hopefully improving upon your shortcomings. Even hypothetically, there is no guarantee that you would ensure the Brotherhood of coming to the Clippers given that the decision is in LeBron's hands and he previously committed to winning a title for his home state of Ohio. Plus, this also is predicated on Carmelo Anthony being on the roster and he's under contract with the Knicks for a few more years. Yes, a Griffin trade with a LeBron promise would rectify that but that is far from a guarantee.

After some further thought, I wondered if the Clippers could end up falling to the Warriors legitimately. It's been 20 years since Golden State swept the Clippers. All the games were very close, save for the fourth and final meeting where the Clippers lost by double digits. If the trend were to continue in the playoffs, and the Clippers get swept (or get a free game, then lose in 5), Doc Rivers would use this series to convince to Steve Ballmer that only The Brotherhood can withstand the Warriors wrath. He wouldn't need to throw games away to make it happen.

But what if the Clippers did beat the Warriors and made the conference finals? The careers of Griffin and Jordan would be saved, and the Clippers faith in the Paul-Griffin-Jordan Big 3 would be restored. The Brotherhood wouldn't be necessary. But the odds of making the conference finals and preventing The Brotherhood or a rebuild from happening are very slim. The Clippers are currently the 4th seed. The last team to win the title as the 4th seed was the 1968-69 Boston Celtics. Have a look at this:

Code: Select all

2015: Raptors 1st round   || Blazers 1st round
2014: Chicago 1st round   || Rockets 1st round
2013: Nets 1st round      || Clippers 1st round
2012: Celtics 3rd round   || Grizzlies 1st round
2011: Magic 1st round     || Thunder 3rd round
2010: Celtics Finals      || Nuggets 1st round
2009: Hawks 2nd round     || Blazers 1st round
2008: Cavaliers 2nd round || Jazz 2nd round
2007: Heat 1st round      || Jazz 3rd round
2006: Cavaliers 2nd round || Mavericks Finals
2005: Bulls 1st round     || Mavericks 2nd round
2004: Heat 2nd round      || Kings 2nd round
2003: 76ers 2nd round     || Wolves 1st round   
2002: Hornets 2nd round   || Mavericks 2nd round
2001: Knicks 1st round    || Jazz 1st round
2000: Hornets 1st round   || Spurs 1st round
1999: Hawks 2nd round     || Lakers 2nd round
1998: Hornets 2nd round   || Suns 1st round
1997: Hawks 2nd round     || Lakers 2nd round
1996: Cavaliers 1st round || Lakers 1st round
1995: Hornets 1st round   || Sonics 1st round
1994: Magic 1st round     || Spurs 1st round
1993: Celtics 1st round   || Blazers 1st round
1992: Knicks 2nd round    || Suns 2nd round
1991: Bucks 1st round     || Suns 1st round
1990: Celtics 1st round   || Jazz 1st round
1989: Hawks 1st round     || Sonics 2nd round
1988: Hawks 2nd round     || Blazers 1st round
1987: Bucks 2nd round     || Jazz 1st round
1986: Hawks 2nd round     || Mavericks 2nd round
1985: Pistons 2nd round   || Mavericks 1st round
1984: Pistons 1st round   || Mavericks 2nd round
1983: Nets 1st round      || Sonics 1st round
1982: Nets 1st round      || Nuggets 1st round
1981: Knicks 1st round    || Blazers 1st round
1980: Rockets 2nd round   || Suns 2nd round
1979: Rockets 1st round   || Nuggets 1st round
1978: Cavaliers 1st round || Sonics Finals
1977: Celtics 2nd round   || Warriors 2nd round
1976: 76ers 1st round     || Bucks 1st round
1975: Hawks 2nd round     || Sonics 2nd round
1974: Braves 2nd round    || Lakers 2nd round
1973: Hawks 2nd round     || Warriors 3rd round
1972: SKIPPED, UNUSUAL SEEDING LABELIZATION
1971: SKIPPED, UNUSUAL SEEDING LABELIZATION
1970: 76ers 2nd round     || Bulls 1st round
1969: Celtics WIN         || Rockets 2nd round

This is a list of every single 4th seeded participant spanning back to 1969 when the Celtics accomplished their championship run. The 1971 and 1972 playoffs were skipped because the NBA used an unusual seeding label with the letters M, P and C in place of the standard numbers. I couldn't figure out who the 4th seeded teams were under that naming scheme.

Of the 90 known 4th seeded teams, only three teams made the Finals, two of which coming from the west, the right column. A combined 82 4th seeded teams were 1st and 2nd round exits. 47 of the 82 - 1st round exits.

The chance for a 4th seed to at least get into the 3rd round is a shot above 4.44%. The record for a 4th seed beating a top seed from 1969 to now, excluding the two odd seasons, is 4-32, which gives the Clippers only a 1.11% chance to save Griffin and Jordan from being shipped out for rebuilding purposes or to get LeBron, Melo and Wade.

The Clippers, primarily Paul, Griffin and Jordan, are going to take this series pretty seriously. It's the Clippers fault the Warriors are champions - not taking them seriously in the 2012-13 season, then underestimating the Rockets last season to give them a 3-1 collapse and temporarily losing DJ to the Mavericks. They're gonna do everything in their power to prevent three 2nd round exits in a row (which I think has never happened in NBA playoff history), while righting their wrong of transforming a lottery team into a championship team.

I think the 2nd round will determine once and for all the future of the Clippers. If they beat the Dubs, Griffin and Jordan are certified Clippers for life. If they lose to the Dubs, all bets are off.
Ranma
RealGM

Beck on Lowe Podcast 

Post#69 » by Ranma » Sun Apr 3, 2016 10:22 pm

I appreciate Beck's thoughts and description of what went on with and into putting together his well-written Melo-LeBron story. He mentions how hard it typically is to get time to sit down with either Carmelo Anthony or LeBron James, nevermind both. Beck also says, based on his sources, that anybody in the NBA would have likely selected Darko Milicic 2nd overall in the 2003 NBA Draft. He was thought to be similar to what Kristaps Porzingis is doing right now.

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Free-Roaming LeBron (Larry Brown Syndrome) 

Post#70 » by Ranma » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:03 am

Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo Sports (6/17/16)
One more victory, one more magnificent night at Oracle Arena, and James will get to run off with his buddies again somewhere warm. Miami. Los Angeles. Wherever. There’s a restlessness about James that craves the next big move, the next power play. Franchises are on watch again, believing nothing’s forever in Northeast Ohio. Sooner or later, there’s a belief that James comes into play again, a line of thinking that his inner circle has done nothing to dissuade. As for James himself, well, he has gone so far as to publicly describe an end-of-career scenario that doesn’t include Cleveland.

Part of it, yes, along with those one-year contracts, is a way to mess with owner Dan Gilbert. James has great fondness for coach Ty Lue and respect for general manager David Griffin, but he’ll never embrace Gilbert – only perform despite him.

Yes, James could come back to Cleveland and defend a potential Cavaliers title in 2017 and proceed to join the run of superstar pals in free agency: Chris Paul and Kevin Durant. They can wait one more year for Carmelo Anthony in 2018. Or, Golden State wins Game 7, and maybe James gives Cleveland the championship in 2017 – and makes his move then.

LeBron James’ Golden Ticket
Ranma
RealGM

Puff of Smoke from a Pipe or Smoke Signals? 

Post#71 » by Ranma » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:11 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
wassuphomeboy
Junior
And1: 236

Post#72 » by wassuphomeboy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:06 am

I have a feeling it's only a matter of time before he comes. If it's not this year, it will be sometime in the near future. I called him leaving the Cavs the 1st time in 2010 and also him coming back 2 years ago.

People underestimate his broship with CP3. By all accounts it's one of the closest relationships in the NBA.

Wade only signed a one year deal with the Heat for a reason; to have his own FA period coincide with LeBron's.

He wouldn't have bought a house here if he wasn't looking to put down some semi-permanent roots. Highly doubt he's going to the Lakers because Kobe's shadow looms large over everything with that franchise. He will always be compared, fairly or more like unfairly, to Kobe if he goes to the Lakers even though he is by far the greater player, IMO.

Either way, stay tuned. Whenever there's smoke there's usually fire with LeBron.
I root for players always, organizations sometimes.

I don't know how I'm ever going to forgive the Clippers' new front office.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#73 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:31 am

Deal Griffin yesterday to make this happen.

My goodness.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,158

Post#74 » by og15 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:56 am

If Lebron actually did come to the Clippers, MTV would actually like the team and not just hate on all the players since he's a huge Lebron homer. Of course he's a big Chris Paul hater and the only reason Lebron would come here would be Chris Paul, so I'm not sure how he would reconcile those two things.

I personally don't really think it is happening, but I could be very wrong. Of course as much as I do like Blake, I'm not going to act like he's the caliber of player that Lebron is, so of course if there was a chance it is one that the Clippers would have to take.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,744

Post#75 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:31 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Deal Griffin yesterday to make this happen.

My goodness.

Yeah but what would be your user name??? :lol:
Ranma
RealGM

LeBron's To-Do List 

Post#76 » by Ranma » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:51 pm

I've said from the beginning that I thought LeBron James would be most concerned about his legacy, which I thought to mean getting as many championship rings as possible to match and surpass Kobe and MJ, so I was surprised he went back to the Cavs as I didn't think he'd ever be able to bring a Larry O'Brien trophy to Cleveland. However, it looks like he got the best of both worlds in adding to his rings totals while also fulfilling his dream and promise of being the hometown hero. He will likely stay in Cleveland to defend the title there, but I'm still convinced he'll eventually leave (and soon) to add more titles and conquer other regions.

I've been a hater of his from his days of getting preferential treatment as a celebrated prep prospect and in the wake of "The Decision" but there's no denying that he's cemented his place among the NBA's greats with his performance against the history-making Warriors. However, my disdain for him had less to do with his skills and style of play than his off-court behavior and it's not like the dude was a thug either. He actually plays the game the way I want superstars to play as an elite team player who excels at defense and passing. Aside from questions about his clutch ability, which seems to be improving with each passing year, I've been swayed to actually consider him in discussions for G.O.A.T.

What I intend to communicate in this post is that he's checked off yet another item on his to-do list, which leaves his stated desire to play with BFF Carmelo Anthony. His tight relationship with Chris Paul could also put him in line to conquer the West Coast after bringing championships to his teams in the East and Midwest. Having an owner with vast resources and a GM/coach his current coach considers as a mentor both ready and willing to meet his demands is another selling point. Not to mention that bringing the historically bad Clippers its 1st ever championship would only further add to his legend.

LeBron may not leave Cleveland by next season, but it's only a matter of time before he does and the Clippers make even more sense now than ever before. He's practically worshipped in Cleveland at the moment with god-like status. Can you imagine what he'd get if he did that for the Clippers in Los Angeles? Obviously, he won't get the same level of appreciation in a "Laker town" but it would still be more celebrated than it was in Miami. Dude could be a 1-man dynasty.

Barry Petchesky, Deadspin (6/20/16)
“[James] told me that when he left Miami and people who he thought he had strong, trusting relationships with – he said, I’m not going to name names, but someone told me that ‘you’re making the biggest mistake of your career.’

“And he said it really hurt him. Basically, he felt taken for granted. ‘Look, I just gave you four years of my prime, and you’re not going to be comfortable with my decision and root me on? You’re going to make me feel bad going out the door?’”

Without having any evidence that James was referring to Pat Riley, it was totally Pat Riley.

(It’s widely assumed that the Heat took PG Shabazz Napier in the 2014 draft to appease James, just two weeks before James announced he was heading back to Cleveland.)

LeBron Says He was Motivated by Some Hurtful Parting Words in Miami

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Courtesy of WammyGiveaway 

Post#77 » by Ranma » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:47 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WammyGiveaway/status/745485834757931008[/tweet]
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Re: LeBron's To-Do List 

Post#78 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:44 pm

Ranma wrote:I've said from the beginning that I thought LeBron James would be most concerned about his legacy, which I thought to mean getting as many championship rings as possible to match and surpass Kobe and MJ, so I was surprised he went back to the Cavs as I didn't think he'd ever be able to bring a Larry O'Brien trophy to Cleveland. However, it looks like he got the best of both worlds in adding to his rings totals while also fulfilling his dream and promise of being the hometown hero. He will likely stay in Cleveland to defend the title there, but I'm still convinced he'll eventually leave (and soon) to add more titles and conquer other regions.

I've been a hater of his from his days of getting preferential treatment as a celebrated prep prospect and in the wake of "The Decision" but there's no denying that he's cemented his place among the NBA's greats with his performance against the history-making Warriors. However, my disdain for him had less to do with his skills and style of play than his off-court behavior and it's not like the dude was a thug either. He actually plays the game the way I want superstars to play as an elite team player who excels at defense and passing. Aside from questions about his clutch ability, which seems to be improving with each passing year, I've been swayed to actually consider him in discussions for G.O.A.T.

I agree, he definitely seems like one who is very self-consciously aware of his legacy. Each ring is not just a ring for it's own sake, but is also another notch for his resume.

But now that he has won 2 in Miami and returned home to win another, I don't think moving to different cities to chase another ring or 2 is going to be the best for his legacy. He already did that in Miami, what he did by coming back to Cleveland and winning a ring is practically more significant than the 2 he got in Miami.

If he wants to truly elevate himself to legitimate comparisons to MJ as GOAT, he would repeat and three-peat in Cleveland. Repeat, and many will consider him de facto #2 next to Michael. Three-peat, and there's probably a very reasonable argument for him as GOAT (even though I would still probably pick Michael.) If he goes to some other team and wins a ring with his super friends, of course it is meaningful but not nearly as much as winning another in Cleveland. Discussions about GOAT are inevitably subjective and emotional, and rings in Cleveland would mean more in most conversations. He would be the first post-modern superstar, one who not only achieved greatness in the era of free agency and superstar leverage, but used that free agency and leverage to bring rings to his (championship-starved) hometown.

I think he would also like to play with his super friends, that would be a lot of fun for anybody with that option and the leverage to pull it off. But if he is as concerned with his legacy as we think he is, I think he should stay in Cleveland.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Re: LeBron's To-Do List 

Post#79 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:52 pm

Salty Riley is like the bitter ex who can't fathom it when the girl who left his husband to be with you, leaves you for another man.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JoeGoodmanJr/status/590176720721989632[/tweet]
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,158

Post#80 » by og15 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:55 pm

Alright, so can we put the Lebron James to the Clippers talk to rest now? Yes? Okay, great :)

Return to Los Angeles Clippers