Re: Steve Ballmer to Buy Clippers 

Post#161 » by mttwlsn16 » Mon Jun 9, 2014 6:30 pm

That'd be dope. And then kick the lakers out
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#162 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Jun 9, 2014 9:29 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:Only thing that would really scare me in a LeBron-Griffin trade is that Griffin is about 5 years younger than LeBron. LeBron realistically has about 3-4 more years left in his prime.

Let's just say if you have one of the GOAT's for 3-4 prime years, the rest will probably take care of itself. ;)

Having your 2 superstars overlap might make for an easier succession plan anyway. Basically you need to line up your cap so you can sign the next star player to take over after your older star is done, then try to load the roster around your new duo.

Then a few years later, Blake will retire or leave, and then you look for a new replacement.

It's almost too easy... 8-)
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#163 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:08 am

law suit is back on.

smfh
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#164 » by mttwlsn16 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:09 am

Quake Griffin wrote:law suit is back on.

smfh

:lol: I just came here to say this too. What a circus
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#165 » by Forte IV » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:10 am

I like how he said he wants to fight for his team but clearly doesn't realize no one will even play for him and he will essentially have no team. Just take the 2 bil douche.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#166 » by QRich3 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:08 am

Don't worry, the team is sold already, he's just trying to make the most of his last 10 minutes of glory, the last few times his name is still relevant enough to make the headlines and feed his ego. He knows it, the league knows it and his lawyer knows it, but will probably be happy to keep getting paid as long as possible.
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#167 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:25 am

The sale of the Clippers won't be a done deal until the owners sign off on it. This is why I never celebrated when I heard that Ballmer was going to buy the team. I felt like there was too much time for Sterling to change his mind, or too much time where he forgot what he said. I still feel optimistic that this will get done, but we'll just have to wait for all this mess to get sorted..............
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

New Part-Owner of Clippers 

Post#168 » by Ranma » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:35 am

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#169 » by nickhx2 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:13 am

going back and reading the doomsday posts about ballmer moving the team was moderately entertaining.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#170 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:29 pm

nickhx2 wrote:going back and reading the doomsday posts about ballmer moving the team was moderately entertaining.

It just made absolutely zero sense to me for Ballmer to pay $2B for the Los Angeles Clippers and then move them to Seattle, when most of that $2B is paying for the location. That would be like buying a $10 million house on the beach in Malibu (which doesn't get you much), and then transplanting the house to San Fernando Valley.

If he wanted a team in Seattle, he would have bought the Milwaukee Bucks when they were up for sale. All he would have had to do is overpay for the team by $100M or so (the team sold for $550M), so the seller would cave and let him buy and move the team.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#171 » by nickhx2 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:43 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:going back and reading the doomsday posts about ballmer moving the team was moderately entertaining.

It just made absolutely zero sense to me for Ballmer to pay $2B for the Los Angeles Clippers and then move them to Seattle, when most of that $2B is paying for the location. That would be like buying a $10 million house on the beach in Malibu (which doesn't get you much), and then transplanting the house to San Fernando Valley.

If he wanted a team in Seattle, he would have bought the Milwaukee Bucks when they were up for sale. All he would have had to do is overpay for the team by $100M or so (the team sold for $550M), so the seller would cave and let him buy and move the team.

yeah lol. the argument people were spouting: "well he's rich and he doesn't care about money!" was like the creme of the crop.

ya, rich people stay rich by making bad financial decisions. ok
Ranma
RealGM

Ballmer Richest in North American Pro Sports 

Post#172 » by Ranma » Tue Mar 1, 2016 8:12 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Akklaim1
Rookie
And1: 821

Post#173 » by Akklaim1 » Wed Mar 2, 2016 1:22 am

Why aren't the Dodgers on the list?
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#174 » by nickhx2 » Wed Mar 2, 2016 1:34 am

isn't it just individuals who are rich and not groups? unless the majority owner of the dodgers is crazy rich too if that's what you're saying
Ranma
RealGM

Dodgers' Owners 

Post#175 » by Ranma » Wed Mar 2, 2016 2:19 am

Yeah, the Dodgers are technically owned by a corporation, the Guggenheim Partners, similar to when Fox owned them previously. Like nick said, the Forbes list pertains to individuals.
Ranma
RealGM

Nobody Buys Beachfront Property to Move to Valley 

Post#176 » by Ranma » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:16 pm

I'm going to put an excerpt from the article QuakeGriffin cited here to hopefully quash the notion of Ballmer ever entertaining the idea of moving the Clippers to Seattle. Heck, he's unlikely to even move them into Orange County, CA much less out of the state. Plus, it's an excuse to revisit our original reactions and thoughts in retrospect.

Kevin Arnovitz, ESPN.com (2/24/18)
Asked how he appraised his $2 billion bid for the Clippers in 2014 -- then a record for an NBA team -- Ballmer said he relied on both quantitative analysis and intelligence of the marketplace and the pool of potential buyers.

"I looked at what the cash flows would be, and what kind of multiple you'd put on," Ballmer said. "A team in L.A. is literally beachfront real estate. It's worth a lot more than teams everywhere else. Because if you ever get a foreign buyer later on -- foreign buyers only want to buy in a few cities, which I knew because it was part of the pressure on the price. There was a lurking foreign buyer, if you will, for the team. But ultimately, I knew what the price was in the good old-fashioned way: I knew what the next bidder wanted to pay."

Steve Ballmer: Clippers Want 'Big, Fat Ring,' Traded Griffin to Build for 'Modern NBA'
Akklaim1
Rookie
And1: 821

Post#177 » by Akklaim1 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:26 am

Ahhh okay. Well, you know who is surprisingly not on that list? Mark "Rebuild" Cuban.
Ranma
RealGM

Almost 4 Years Later...Swing and a Wiff 

Post#178 » by Ranma » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:13 am

Neddy wrote:
wiff wrote:Hey man I lived it, I know how it goes.

Find me in three years and tell me I'm wrong. I'll buy you a pitcher of beer if your Clippers are still in LA in 2017 and there is no arena being built in Seattle.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

of course I will hold you to it, but I doubt you are man enough to actually keep your promise.

Neddy wrote:
wiff wrote:Is it really "man enough" to honor your word? Like I said, hit me up and I'll make it happen. But I'm only buying one pitcher so you two will have to split it.

Don't worry though I won't make you pay up. The Sonics coming back will be payment enough.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

come on you and I both know you will never live up to the promise, and at best you will leave out a stipulation such as come to Seattle for a pitcher of beer. would you pay for an air fair for a round trip for a pitcher of beer? if you are man enough to keep your promise, I dare you to use your card to call in a pitcher of beer to wherever we may be in 3 years.

but you won't. prove me wrong.

BTW it wasn't my "word" but your own "word".

You're wrong, wiff. If you and some of the others still have doubts, check out a couple of the following threads discussing Ballmer's plans of building a new arena...in Los Angeles (not Seattle).

Clippers Might Relocate... To Inglewood

More Inglewood arena news

I don't drink but maybe you can buy a pitcher for Neddy or on behalf of some of the other members here who might be able to meet up with you.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Almost 4 Years Later...Swing and a Wiff 

Post#179 » by Neddy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:50 am

Ranma wrote:
Neddy wrote:
wiff wrote:Hey man I lived it, I know how it goes.

Find me in three years and tell me I'm wrong. I'll buy you a pitcher of beer if your Clippers are still in LA in 2017 and there is no arena being built in Seattle.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

of course I will hold you to it, but I doubt you are man enough to actually keep your promise.

Neddy wrote:
wiff wrote:Is it really "man enough" to honor your word? Like I said, hit me up and I'll make it happen. But I'm only buying one pitcher so you two will have to split it.

Don't worry though I won't make you pay up. The Sonics coming back will be payment enough.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

come on you and I both know you will never live up to the promise, and at best you will leave out a stipulation such as come to Seattle for a pitcher of beer. would you pay for an air fair for a round trip for a pitcher of beer? if you are man enough to keep your promise, I dare you to use your card to call in a pitcher of beer to wherever we may be in 3 years.

but you won't. prove me wrong.

BTW it wasn't my "word" but your own "word".

You're wrong, wiff. If you and some of the others still have doubts, check out a couple of the following threads discussing Ballmer's plans of building a new arena...in Los Angeles (not Seattle).

Clippers Might Relocate... To Inglewood

More Inglewood arena news

I don't drink but maybe you can buy a pitcher for Neddy or on behalf of some of the other members here who might be able to meet up with you.

you know Seattle is only 5 hour drive away from my house.
ehhhhh f it.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#180 » by nickhx2 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:52 am

remember when people thought he was moving the team

Return to Los Angeles Clippers