ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers getting a new logo next year?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,273

Re: Clippers getting a new logo next year? 

Post#61 » by nickhx2 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:36 am

i must be the exception cause the only one i don't like is the red one.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Emailing the Clippers 

Post#62 » by Ranma » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:15 am

kylem4711 wrote:whats her email

I believe Gillian Zucker's email is GZucker@Clippers.com. Steve Ballmer's is SBallmer@Clippers.com. They both provided their email addresses openly during respective introductory public appearances.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#63 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:05 pm

Yeah I saw the photos of the new design and I'm not a fan. I'd rather keep what we have now than change to the pictures I saw.

funkatron101 very nice work :) only if the Clippers could see your designs
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
Ranma
RealGM

More Fan Submissions via Clippers TopBuzz 

Post#64 » by Ranma » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:53 pm

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Historical Summary of Clippers Logo 

Post#65 » by Ranma » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:26 am

Todd Radom, Sporting News (4/21/15)
The visual similarities between the Lakers' and Clippers' logos are striking: italicized letterforms backed up by an outlined basketball, even the scale of elements within each logo; all invite inevitable comparison. One would think that a clean break is desperately needed, especially when we consider the divergent cultures and track records that surround each franchise over the past three decades.

The team held a “name the team” contest, won by Frank Kowalski of San Diego. His logic behind “Clippers” was solid: a “fast, slender sailing ship designed for speed.” Some of the names that didn’t make the cut included the Grunions, Skunks, Starships, Seagulls, Oarsmen and Koalas. Two notable names that stood out were the San Diego Gob and the San Diego Zoo (just imagine the logo possibilities in either case.)

The San Diego Clippers employed a colorful and graphically simple logo, one that they used for their first few years out west. Their uniforms were noteworthy for their baby-blue color scheme and shorts with a series of nautical flags that spelled out “Clippers.”

How the Clippers' Logo Evolved, from Buffalo to San Diego to Los Angeles
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#66 » by nickhx2 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:09 am

i like concept logo B and the very first logo of the three above them.
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Re: More Fan Submissions via Clippers TopBuzz 

Post#67 » by funkatron101 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:06 pm

Ranma wrote:Image

I've seen this before. It's a very good branding set.

So many talented artists out there who just need a chance.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
Ranma
RealGM

Leaked Designed Trademarked 

Post#68 » by Ranma » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:42 pm

Chris Creamer, SportsLogos.net (4/27/15)
If there was any doubt before, this should take care of all that. The Los Angeles Clippers registered a series of trademarks with the United States Patent and Trademark Office showing a series of new teams logos and wordmarks. The trademarks were registered on April 21, 2015 a day after a second round of leaks became public.

Now that we know these to be what the Clippers will be using next season what do you think? I'm not impressed, the logo is fairly bland and has absolutely nothing to do with the name of the team (not that the current set does either).

Not to mention it's a fairly straight rip of the old EA Sports' NBA Live logo:

Fan concepts are clearly superior to what the team is going with:

LA Clippers Trademark New Leaked Logos
MrHill
Freshman
And1: 60

Post#69 » by MrHill » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:17 pm

I frequent the Creamer site almost daily (in particular the message boards), and few of the posters there are professional graphic artists...the few Clipper identity concepts I've seen there are light-years better than the stuff that Ballmer and company commissioned.

I'm still holding out hope that there are more concepts out there that Ballmer and Gillian are looking at, and there's a better result that what's been presented.
kylem4711
Sixth Man
And1: 518

Post#70 » by kylem4711 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:45 pm

MrHill wrote:I frequent the Creamer site almost daily (in particular the message boards), and few of the posters there are professional graphic artists...the few Clipper identity concepts I've seen there are light-years better than the stuff that Ballmer and company commissioned.

I'm still holding out hope that there are more concepts out there that Ballmer and Gillian are looking at, and there's a better result that what's been presented.

you dont have any examples?
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#71 » by Clemenza » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:59 am

You guys have some nice artwork skills but even though we're named the Clippers after the ships in San Diego- LA really doesn't have much to do with sailing and ships for that matter. And yeah we right on the Pacific and have numerous marinas and a harbor, the ship thing doesn't really rep LA.
Ranma
RealGM

What's in a Name? 

Post#72 » by Ranma » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:50 am

Clemenza wrote:You guys have some nice artwork skills but even though we're named the Clippers after the ships in San Diego- LA really doesn't have much to do with sailing and ships for that matter. And yeah we right on the Pacific and have numerous marinas and a harbor, the ship thing doesn't really rep LA.

Well, two storied franchises in Los Angeles still have names retained from their original respective locations that have no relation to the local area. The Dodgers referred to the trolley dodgers who got out of the way of the rail-bound carriages that zipped around the Brooklyn area while the Lakers were in reference to the many lakes around the Minneapolis geographic area. Also, I'm pretty sure that Los Angeles was never under the rule of a monarch when the L.A. Kings were established. :wink:
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#73 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:53 am

What's the jazz scene like in Utah?

da doom tss
-___-
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#74 » by Forte IV » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:03 am

The Marina is part of LA. The ocean is part of that LA "culture".
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
kylem4711
Sixth Man
And1: 518

Re: Leaked Designed Trademarked 

Post#75 » by kylem4711 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:20 pm

Ranma wrote:Chris Creamer, SportsLogos.net (4/27/15)
If there was any doubt before, this should take care of all that. The Los Angeles Clippers registered a series of trademarks with the United States Patent and Trademark Office showing a series of new teams logos and wordmarks. The trademarks were registered on April 21, 2015 a day after a second round of leaks became public.

Now that we know these to be what the Clippers will be using next season what do you think? I'm not impressed, the logo is fairly bland and has absolutely nothing to do with the name of the team (not that the current set does either).

Not to mention it's a fairly straight rip of the old EA Sports' NBA Live logo:

Fan concepts are clearly superior to what the team is going with:

LA Clippers Trademark New Leaked Logos

This is huge. This will be so gross if these are the jerseys next year.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Re: What's in a Name? 

Post#76 » by Clemenza » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:00 pm

Ranma wrote:
Clemenza wrote:You guys have some nice artwork skills but even though we're named the Clippers after the ships in San Diego- LA really doesn't have much to do with sailing and ships for that matter. And yeah we right on the Pacific and have numerous marinas and a harbor, the ship thing doesn't really rep LA.

Well, two storied franchises in Los Angeles still have names retained from their original respective locations that have no relation to the local area. The Dodgers referred to the trolley dodgers who got out of the way of the rail-bound carriages that zipped around the Brooklyn area while the Lakers were in reference to the many lakes around the Minneapolis geographic area. Also, I'm pretty sure that Los Angeles was never under the rule of a monarch when the L.A. Kings were established. :wink:
I'm not talking about the actual name of the team and there's no Lakers logo with a lake and mountains as a backdrop or LA ..
Dodger logo with a trolley-subway car on it. The artwork the guys have done is nice and pro quality but anchors and steering wheels/helms doesn't fit imo

Maybe its just me but I love the current Clipper logo. Always have always will. Even though it is similar to the Lakers logo, I just never had a problem with it. Its kind of a LA thing.. The Kings, Clippers, Dodgers, Lakers have all had the cursive, letters with the streaking marks mix mashed in some sort of fashion.
Ranma
RealGM

Distinct Presence in L.A. 

Post#77 » by Ranma » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:22 pm

Clemenza wrote:I'm not talking about the actual name of the team and there's no Lakers logo with a lake and mountains as a backdrop or LA ..
Dodger logo with a trolley-subway car on it. The artwork the guys have done is nice and pro quality but anchors and steering wheels/helms doesn't fit imo

Maybe its just me but I love the current Clipper logo. Always have always will. Even though it is similar to the Lakers logo, I just never had a problem with it. Its kind of a LA thing.. The Kings, Clippers, Dodgers, Lakers have all had the cursive, letters with the streaking marks mix mashed in some sort of fashion.

The whole point of the logo change was to distinguish the organization from the other L.A. teams. I'm pretty much open to anything, personally, as long as it is well-executed and thought out. I agree with not using anchors and I'm also partial to keeping the speed lines in our logo, myself. I like the layout of our current home uniforms and I'm even intrigued by the stark contrast of the white uniform with black lettering accentuated by red and blue in the leaked designs, but the those leaked designs are jarringly uninspiring.

I'm partial to the current Clippers logo too given my familiarity with it, but it's time that we have a distinct identity, especially under new ownership and with the new direction of the franchise. As I've mentioned before, I'd like to incorporate elements of the organization's past designs in Buffalo and San Diego to give a sense of history in a new contemporary rebranding. In any case, to each his own.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#78 » by nickhx2 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:22 pm

i wouldn't say that DTS's shadow looms, but the further away we can get from him, the better.

also i've never really liked the clippers logo anyway, i'd definitely appreciate something new.
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#79 » by funkatron101 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:18 pm

kylem4711 wrote:
MrHill wrote:I frequent the Creamer site almost daily (in particular the message boards), and few of the posters there are professional graphic artists...the few Clipper identity concepts I've seen there are light-years better than the stuff that Ballmer and company commissioned.

you dont have any examples?

Look through this thread ;)
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
DtroitBBall8904
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#80 » by DtroitBBall8904 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:56 pm

Those mock-ups of Blake were kinda depressing. I hope they are still looking through concepts and they just trademarked as a precaution

Visiting from the Pistons forum but the Clips are my second team

Return to Los Angeles Clippers