Around the NBA II

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Re: JJ & Jamal share their thoughts on Doc's recent remarks 

Post#2341 » by esqtvd » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:33 pm

Dynamix wrote:

“That team was never going to win, when you look back at it. We didn’t get along well enough.”

- Doc Rivers on his Clippers teams

Looking back, I said the same thing after the fact. CP3 and Blake just didn't work together, as leaders or as courtmates. Doc is saying "looking back," which Jamal and JJ aren't taking into account. No doubt they thought at the time [Doc included] they could still win despite their two All-Stars' lack of chemistry but ultimately that was what was missing. "Chemistry" does exist, and it's what makes a team better than the sum of its parts.

Lob City was the sum of its parts, no more or less. 50-win seasons but the vast majority of championships are won by the Jordans, Kobes and Lebrons. And there's usually a Pippen or a Tony Parker or a Draymond Green mixed in there too. Lob City had nobody like that—no offense to Jamal or JJ but they were not needle-movers and I doubt Doc was referring to them or even thinking of them.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Re: Around the NBA II 

Post#2342 » by NippySudz » Fri May 12, 2023 2:30 am

Doc blowing another lead? No, can't be.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#2343 » by Ballings7 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:53 am

Its the off-season : )

A bit surprising to see from their Boston and even early Clipper days I think. Neat listen, though. Guess they did a whole podcast together hah.. they go into more than just his Sixers run.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#2344 » by esqtvd » Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:33 am

Ballings7 wrote:Its the off-season : )

A bit surprising to see from their Boston and even early Clipper days I think. Neat listen, though. Guess they did a whole podcast together hah.. they go into more than just his Sixers run.

Thanks for posting this. You posted it in the right OFF-TOPIC thread. It's very interesting and frank and touches on the Lob City days to boot.

It would be really great if the comments were about what is ACTUALLY SAID HERE rather than the usual vomit.
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#2345 » by Ballings7 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:01 pm

esqtvd wrote:

Thanks for posting this. You posted it in the right OFF-TOPIC thread. It's very interesting and frank and touches on the Lob City days to boot.

It would be really great if the comments were about what is ACTUALLY SAID HERE rather than the usual vomit.

Haha right, for sure..

Bill's questions and reactions were fun; could see how intrigued he was.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#2346 » by esqtvd » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:32 am

Ballings7 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Haha right, for sure..

Bill Simmons has [or had] Clippers season tickets and no doubt frequent access to Doc. He was at the infamous Game 5 vs HOU when we blew the 18-point lead with Harden benched. Interesting story--Austin came over to him and said the team, still with a big lead, was getting tight and indeed the home crowd went completely quiet, "HERE WE GO AGAIN." Said it was the only time in his career he felt the entire building quit as one.

Re: The Sixers, Harden is the villain. Played winning basketball in the first half of the season as their PG but then reverted to his usual and looked to score more. Which was OK until the playoffs, when it's easy to adjust against him because he always stands in the same place and it's easy to find him and throw a double-team at him.

I watched a good fifty 76ers games this year and it's true. Harden slows down the dribble at the upper right of the 3-point line and either drives or fakes it and shoots the step-back 3. And as Doc notes, James is a bit older now and not quite the finisher he was, so you can overplay the 3 and close off the drive if you need to.

Sources are saying that The Beard got Doc fired. That is certainly at least partially true--Beard is tight with his old GM Daryl Morey, and Beard can walk away as a UFA and Morey is left with NOTHING for trading Ben Simmons, Seth Curry, AND a FIRST ROUND PICK for him. James wants his "basketball freedom," which means playing however the hell he wants.

Which is what Westbrook did until his final humiliation with the Lakers. When he hooked on with the Clippers, he probably didn't even need a lecture--they ALL know the right way to play, it's just a lot less fun and a lot more like WORK.

As for Doc, the Sixers still have to pay him $16M over the next 2 years, so Doc says he's taking the year off. Hasn't had a year off in 22 years. Says he's gonna hang around in football camps with his pals Nick Saban, Belichick, and Andy Reid. Likes football.

I think his future is either as a mid-season dice-roll replacement for the fired coach of a contending team, or as a PoBO type for an org in disarray. Said Elton Brand brought him into Philly to root out the loser culture--from trainers on up. Doc also remade the Sterling org from stem to stern. At age 61, he's better suited as an exec, I think, although he might get one more shot at the Big Enchilada--championship coaches, even fired ones, have more cred than promoting assistant coaches from within.

Embiid was tight with Doc, who made him an MVP; it was Harden who did him in. Not the first coach he killed. ;-)
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#2347 » by Ballings7 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:59 pm

esqtvd wrote:
Ballings7 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Haha right, for sure..

Bill Simmons has [or had] Clippers season tickets and no doubt frequent access to Doc. He was at the infamous Game 5 vs HOU when we blew the 18-point lead with Harden benched. Interesting story--Austin came over to him and said the team, still with a big lead, was getting tight and indeed the home crowd went completely quiet, "HERE WE GO AGAIN." Said it was the only time in his career he felt the entire building quit as one.

Re: The Sixers, Harden is the villain. Played winning basketball in the first half of the season as their PG but then reverted to his usual and looked to score more. Which was OK until the playoffs, when it's easy to adjust against him because he always stands in the same place and it's easy to find him and throw a double-team at him.

I watched a good fifty 76ers games this year and it's true. Harden slows down the dribble at the upper right of the 3-point line and either drives or fakes it and shoots the step-back 3. And as Doc notes, James is a bit older now and not quite the finisher he was, so you can overplay the 3 and close off the drive if you need to.

Sources are saying that The Beard got Doc fired. That is certainly at least partially true--Beard is tight with his old GM Daryl Morey, and Beard can walk away as a UFA and Morey is left with NOTHING for trading Ben Simmons, Seth Curry, AND a FIRST ROUND PICK for him. James wants his "basketball freedom," which means playing however the hell he wants.

Which is what Westbrook did until his final humiliation with the Lakers. When he hooked on with the Clippers, he probably didn't even need a lecture--they ALL know the right way to play, it's just a lot less fun and a lot more like WORK.

As for Doc, the Sixers still have to pay him $16M over the next 2 years, so Doc says he's taking the year off. Hasn't had a year off in 22 years. Says he's gonna hang around in football camps with his pals Nick Saban, Belichick, and Andy Reid. Likes football.

I think his future is either as a mid-season dice-roll replacement for the fired coach of a contending team, or as a PoBO type for an org in disarray. Said Elton Brand brought him into Philly to root out the loser culture--from trainers on up. Doc also remade the Sterling org from stem to stern. At age 61, he's better suited as an exec, I think, although he might get one more shot at the Big Enchilada--championship coaches, even fired ones, have more cred than promoting assistant coaches from within.

Embiid was tight with Doc, who made him an MVP; it was Harden who did him in. Not the first coach he killed. ;-)

I think the Sixers got Harden a bit too late, like Doc said.. if it was 2021 Brooklyn Harden before the hammy-injury, things might be different; but then again, Harden isn't a playoff player.

I see Doc giving it one last stop for a title then probably hangs up as a coach.

Sixers probably should move on from Harden.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#2348 » by esqtvd » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:16 pm

Ballings7 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

I think the Sixers got Harden a bit too late, like Doc said.. if it was 2021 Brooklyn Harden before the hammy-injury, things might be different; but then again, Harden isn't a playoff player.

I see Doc giving it one last stop for a title then probably hangs up as a coach.

Sixers probably should move on from Harden.

Philly never liked Doc much after he shot off his mouth about them being ignorant about basketball [mostly true] and him being a championship coach. But strangely enough, Doc has gotten little of the blame, and the fans overwhelmingly want to move on from Harden.

They like Joel, but don't love him like they love Bryce Harper and Jalen Hurts. But they do love Tyrese Maxey, and will riot if he's dealt, even for a Lillard or Beal. [Unfortunately for Philly, Maxey is the Sixers' only decent trade piece.]

I agree--Doc is available for a stretch run with a veteran team but starting over with a Hornets or Pistons makes no sense at this stage. But I do think he'd listen to running an organization as president or PoBO. Just keep him away from the draft.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#2349 » by esqtvd » Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:38 am

ADD SIXERS::

whoa

ERClips
Junior
And1: 338

Post#2350 » by ERClips » Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:10 am

Not wrong
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#2351 » by Ballings7 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:19 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/37873057/lou-williams-three-sixth-man-year-retires-nba

Lou retires

I'll let someone else start a tribute thread -- but hats off to a special career.. he left his mark, always will be remembered.

I remember enjoying him on the Sixers with Iguodala, and of course the Clips. One of the most fun players to watch of his era.

Ballings7
RealGM

Post#2352 » by Ballings7 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:27 pm

Anndd Beal off to the Sunnies for Paul, Shamet, and picks-stuff... https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/271973/Suns-Agree-To-Acquire-Bradley-Beal-From-Wizards

Wow

Alright then.

Unless Ayton plays up to his potential on both ends, Suns aren't getting past Denver as constructed. I also think KD is a question mark in the playoffs now of being the "you know who I am" KD. Can he do that game in game out anymore against the top-teams?

I think they would of been better off going for a guy like OG or Siakam to compliment and balance out the main 5. OG/Siakam is a great third option for a contending team, upper playoff group. Maybe bring in FVV too.. take the load off of KD at the 4 he'll have now more often than if not.

FVV
Booker
KD
OG/Siakam
Ayton

-- Reality:

Payne
Booker
Beal
KD
Ayton

All your commited-defenders that are respectable defenders past Ayton, don't start and won't finish games unless they go with Booker at PG, and have Okogie or Craig finish games. Maybe KD focuses more on defense, along with Booker.

But anyhow, be interesting and fun to watch but just doesn't feel like it does much right now for Phoenix.

While you don't need much depth in the playoffs -- the depth that is used and STILL needed (7, 7.5 players), better be reliable and bring things on both ends like Denver showed. That'll be interesting to see if their rotation past the main five develops to be impactful.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#2353 » by esqtvd » Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:40 pm

Ballings7 wrote:Anndd Beal off to the Sunnies for Paul, Shamet, and picks-stuff... https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/271973/Suns-Agree-To-Acquire-Bradley-Beal-From-Wizards

Wow

Alright then.

Unless Ayton plays up to his potential on both ends, Suns aren't getting past Denver as constructed. I also think KD is a question mark in the playoffs now of being the "you know who I am" KD. Can he do that game in game out anymore against the top-teams?

I think they would of been better off going for a guy like OG or Siakam to compliment and balance out the main 5. OG/Siakam is a great third option for a contending team, upper playoff group. Maybe bring in FVV too.. take the load off of KD at the 4 he'll have now more often than if not.

FVV
Booker
KD
OG/Siakam
Ayton

-- Reality:

Payne
Booker
Beal
KD
Ayton

All your commited-defenders that are respectable defenders past Ayton, don't start and won't finish games unless they go with Booker at PG, and have Okogie or Craig finish games. Maybe KD focuses more on defense, along with Booker.

But anyhow, be interesting and fun to watch but just doesn't feel like it does much right now for Phoenix.

While you don't need much depth in the playoffs -- the depth that is used and STILL needed (7, 7.5 players), better be reliable and bring things on both ends like Denver showed. That'll be interesting to see if their rotation past the main five develops to be impactful.

The Wizards just wanted OUT from Beal's contract and took an undisclosed amount of trash, lol. Beal's no-trade clause had them over a barrel. Michael Winger's orders must be to back up the truck. I imagine Porzingas is next.

And yes, now the Suns have two SGs and no PG. I think everyone in the league wants Siakam. I do too, but it's hard to imagine why Toronto would want to deal him, and for who? He's far more valuable than Beal, for instance, who's overpaid and doesn't offer much except high-usage scoring.
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 533

Post#2354 » by Kelphus » Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:01 am

Ballings7 wrote:https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/37873057/lou-williams-three-sixth-man-year-retires-nba

Lou retires

I'll let someone else start a tribute thread -- but hats off to a special career.. he left his mark, always will be remembered.

I remember enjoying him on the Sixers with Iguodala, and of course the Clips. One of the most fun players to watch of his era.

He was great... except when he valued chicken wings in Atlanta (at a strip club) over the playoffs. Except for that blemish, I really appreciated his contribution.
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,702

Post#2355 » by KL2 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:58 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,190

Post#2356 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:04 pm

Must be nice to have a franchise that values the draft instead of dismissing it as a crapshoot and seeking out the most decrepit players to fill a roster with instead.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#2357 » by esqtvd » Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:24 am

they traded some crapshoot draft picks for some future crapshoot draft picks?

ok
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,428

Post#2358 » by TrueLAfan » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:50 am

KL2 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Not to keep rehashing tired things that keep getting repeated ... but I would say that getting three low first/high second round picks in a deep draft actually emphasizes how hard it is to know what you'll end up with with a pick at that position, even in a deep draft like this one.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#2359 » by esqtvd » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:57 am

TrueLAfan wrote:
Not to keep rehashing tired things that keep getting repeated ...

welcome to your board, Mr Moderator :lol:

team sucks
front office sucks
coach sucks

trade everyone except Terance Mann for draft picks and play the Ontario Clippers
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,190

Post#2360 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:52 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:Not to keep rehashing tired things that keep getting repeated ... but I would say that getting three low first/high second round picks in a deep draft actually emphasizes how hard it is to know what you'll end up with with a pick at that position, even in a deep draft like this one.

It shows that Denver takes the draft seriously enough to maximize their chances of getting at least one good prospect out of it. It also shows they're confident enough to bet on their scouting and player development. They don't whine that it's too hard and retreat to the perceived safety of over-the-hill veterans.

Again, must be nice to have a front office run by serious front office people, not a mediocre former coach who contradicts himself all the time and gets fleeced in almost every trade. Between Dunleavy, Doc and Frank, we've spent the better part of the past 20 years letting coaches pretend to be GMs, and we wonder why we are where we are.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers