ImageImageImageImageImage

Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1281 » by nickhx2 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:34 am

mpj might have been a nice trade asset, but my guess is the team would have opted to keep him. who knows.

a lot of coulda/woulda/shoulda in sports.
JayClips92
Junior
And1: 147

Post#1282 » by JayClips92 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:52 am

JayClips92 wrote:I'm not sure if GSW would go for it but I think if we want to keep our core team together I'd look at -

GSW - Jerome Robison and Detroit's 2021 2nd round pick

LAC - Willie Cauley-Stein & Alec Burks

Golden State gets last years 13th pick to work on developing into a rotation player, a high second round pick and an open spot to sign one of their two ways players who have been playing well for them.

Clippers get an athletic/defensive minded 7-footer and scoring wing player that's been playing much better than McGruder and Robinson

Damn Mavs got WSC for a 2nd rounder... :banghead:

Read on Twitter
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#1283 » by nickhx2 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:25 am

what a joke
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,316

Post#1284 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:32 pm

JayClips92 wrote:
Young Sterling wrote:Yeah Willie CS is one I was thinking about too. The thing is, a lot of the trade ideas I've heard are thinking within the box.. Our FO does some crazy blockbuster stuff. I'm calling it now, we're gonna have one of these players before the deadline:
Jrue Holiday, Gallo, Ibaka, Gasol, or Derrick Favors. :crazy:

I'm pretty sure the clippers can't reacquire Gallo for a full calendar year from when he was traded

I thought that rule only applied to signing him if he were to be waived
donemilio21
Veteran
And1: 763

Post#1285 » by donemilio21 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:44 pm

I think we gotta make the 2020 FRP available in trade talks. I don't really trust our FO to draft a decent player with pick #26 in the upcoming draft.
I think Morris would be an upgrade over Harkless, but I'm nor sure Covington or Thad Young are that much better than him to fetch a FRP in return. Perhaps what makes Covington valuable is that he can play for two more years at a reasonable contract.

Interesting thing is that we can actually get Aron Baynes without sending anyone in return for a FRP and trade exception that we have. But then would that be enough minutes to go around for Harrel, Zu and Baynes all at Center.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,804

Post#1286 » by esqtvd » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:24 pm

donemilio21 wrote:I think we gotta make the 2020 FRP available in trade talks. I don't really trust our FO to draft a decent player with pick #26 in the upcoming draft.
I think Morris would be an upgrade over Harkless, but I'm nor sure Covington or Thad Young are that much better than him to fetch a FRP in return. Perhaps what makes Covington valuable is that he can play for two more years at a reasonable contract.

Interesting thing is that we can actually get Aron Baynes without sending anyone in return for a FRP and trade exception that we have. But then would that be enough minutes to go around for Harrel, Zu and Baynes all at Center.

Baynes can play a bit at the 4, where we can also use some help
14% of his minutes this year at PF acc to

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/baynear01.html#pbp::none

and 42 3-pointers at 33%
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,796

Post#1287 » by SK21209 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:24 am

I’m warming up to the idea of trading Harkless, McGruder and the 1st for Iggy. We can get through the regular season with Patterson and Green at the 4 and we’ll end up playing Kawhi there more often in the playoffs.
JayClips92
Junior
And1: 147

Post#1288 » by JayClips92 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:16 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
JayClips92 wrote:
Young Sterling wrote:Yeah Willie CS is one I was thinking about too. The thing is, a lot of the trade ideas I've heard are thinking within the box.. Our FO does some crazy blockbuster stuff. I'm calling it now, we're gonna have one of these players before the deadline:
Jrue Holiday, Gallo, Ibaka, Gasol, or Derrick Favors. :crazy:

I'm pretty sure the clippers can't reacquire Gallo for a full calendar year from when he was traded

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/01/players-who-cant-be-traded-to-specific-teams-this-season.html

NBA rules prohibit a team from trading for a player if the team traded that player away earlier in the season or during the previous offseason.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1289 » by esqtvd » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:19 pm

JayClips92 wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:
JayClips92 wrote:

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/01/players-who-cant-be-traded-to-specific-teams-this-season.html

NBA rules prohibit a team from trading for a player if the team traded that player away earlier in the season or during the previous offseason.

Makes sense. You could "park" a player on another team and have them pay his salary until you traded back for him at the trade deadline. Many of these rules are designed to stop clever evasions of the salary cap.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1290 » by esqtvd » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:25 pm

SK21209 wrote:I’m warming up to the idea of trading Harkless, McGruder and the 1st for Iggy. We can get through the regular season with Patterson and Green at the 4 and we’ll end up playing Kawhi there more often in the playoffs.

It's been theorized that Harkless and Robinson for Iggy has been on the table all season and the Grizz haven't bit. McGruder has even less trade value I'd think, but maybe our first hasn't been in the offer.

As it'll be in the mid-to-high 20s, the pick's not worth a lot either. The Grizz are hoping somebody like Denver or Utah or Dallas--who REALLY need that playoff veteran--will overpay a bit.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#1291 » by VCfor3 » Sun Feb 2, 2020 6:42 pm

esqtvd wrote:
SK21209 wrote:I’m warming up to the idea of trading Harkless, McGruder and the 1st for Iggy. We can get through the regular season with Patterson and Green at the 4 and we’ll end up playing Kawhi there more often in the playoffs.

It's been theorized that Harkless and Robinson for Iggy has been on the table all season and the Grizz haven't bit. McGruder has even less trade value I'd think, but maybe our first hasn't been in the offer.

As it'll be in the mid-to-high 20s, the pick's not worth a lot either. The Grizz are hoping somebody like Denver or Utah or Dallas--who REALLY need that playoff veteran--will overpay a bit.

I think that if you guys put your 1st on the table, Memphis would be the trigger super quick. That's been their asking price after all. There was a report that execs believe Lee+2020 GSW 2nd from Dallas is on the table and is the fallback option for us. You guys putting in your 1st would trump that offer. Maybe you can get Memphis to throw in a 2nd that you can use this offseason or next deadline in another win-now type move.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1292 » by esqtvd » Sun Feb 2, 2020 8:46 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

I think that if you guys put your 1st on the table, Memphis would be the trigger super quick. That's been their asking price after all. There was a report that execs believe Lee+2020 GSW 2nd from Dallas is on the table and is the fallback option for us. You guys putting in your 1st would trump that offer. Maybe you can get Memphis to throw in a 2nd that you can use this offseason or next deadline in another win-now type move.

The GSW 2nd rounder is almost as good as our FRP but man, Lee is completely worthless. That's not even an offer! Frankly if I'm the Grizz, I eat Iggy's salary for the rest of the season and keep him off the market before I ruin my reputation as a GM by taking such a crap deal.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#1293 » by VCfor3 » Sun Feb 2, 2020 8:53 pm

esqtvd wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

The GSW 2nd rounder is almost as good as our FRP but man, Lee is completely worthless. That's not even an offer! Frankly if I'm the Grizz, I eat Iggy's salary for the rest of the season and keep him off the market before I ruin my reputation as a GM by taking such a crap deal.

Lee would help us about as much as Iggy currently is haha. I'd be happy with the GSW 2nd. Would let us take a flyer on a guy who may be a part of our bench moving forward. We could use a good young backup C so I'd go best player available but lean towards a center if it is close.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1294 » by esqtvd » Sun Feb 2, 2020 8:59 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

Lee would help us about as much as Iggy currently is haha. I'd be happy with the GSW 2nd. Would let us take a flyer on a guy who may be a part of our bench moving forward. We could use a good young backup C so I'd go best player available but lean towards a center if it is close.

Lee will be available for free in June. I can see taking the GSW 2nd instead of getting nothing, but I wouldn't do it for reasons given. Maybe on deadline day. At 11:59 PM.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1295 » by esqtvd » Mon Feb 3, 2020 1:13 am

interesting

I didn't think Capela was the problem

wonder if they want a Drummond type

like, uh, Drummond

Read on Twitter
donemilio21
Veteran
And1: 763

Post#1296 » by donemilio21 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 5:19 pm

McGruder, Green, Zubac + our 2020 1st for Capela + Austin ? :D
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#1297 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Feb 3, 2020 8:57 pm

JayClips92 wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:
JayClips92 wrote:

Too bad, I was just randomly thinking about Gallo, if you're looking for maximum impact this year he's a good target (I didn't bother theorizing cap-legal scenarios though.) I mean OKC has all our future picks already, may as well take more. :lol:
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#1298 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:11 pm

I guess my main fear is not that we don't make any moves (we may or we may not depending on what is out there and for how much), my fear is that we don't make any moves AND Lakers, Nuggets, or whoever do make a solid to significant improvement.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1299 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Feb 4, 2020 7:44 pm

What do you all think of Zubac for Dan Theis?
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#1300 » by Young Sterling » Tue Feb 4, 2020 10:23 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:What do you all think of Zubac for Dan Theis?

Nah. Problem is Zu is actually a lot better than the Lakers thought (just like everyone they let go... still thanking them for Lou 8-) ).

Theis is pretty good too though, it was fun watching the Celts whoop the Lakers the other day btw. I guess the Lakers don't understand small ball yet lol..

Return to Los Angeles Clippers