ImageImageImageImageImage

Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas)

Moderators: QRich3, og15, TrueLAfan

TheNewEra
RealGM
Posts: 28,250
And1: 10,084
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Lob City
       

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1401 » by TheNewEra » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:36 pm

og15 wrote:https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2021/3/22/22344664/lakers-rumors-montrezl-harrell-charlotte-hornets-nba-trade-deadline

Lakers were interested in moving Harrell before they got slammed with injuries. Thought it was working pretty well there, but I don't watch/follow them. RingColluder would be happy to trade back for him. Now sure about Kawhi and co., though, lol

He should of taken the sign and trade to the Hornets and got all of his money
Scoundreldays
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,362
And1: 883
Joined: Aug 20, 2020

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1402 » by Scoundreldays » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:06 pm

Damn George Hill to the 76ers ☹
User avatar
psimanic1
Starter
Posts: 2,389
And1: 1,121
Joined: Jul 14, 2014

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1403 » by psimanic1 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:09 am

I come in peace, but I am not bringing gifts, just one question. What is the situation with Jay Scrubb, is he still on LAC? Do you guys think you pick up his option for next season or is he UFA? I saw him on FA list(rfa, ufa, fa, options...) and I would love to get him to Denver to replace Barton hopefully one day
User avatar
madmaxmedia
RealGM
Posts: 10,818
And1: 5,782
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal
     

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1404 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:32 pm

psimanic1 wrote:I come in peace, but I am not bringing gifts, just one question. What is the situation with Jay Scrubb, is he still on LAC? Do you guys think you pick up his option for next season or is he UFA? I saw him on FA list(rfa, ufa, fa, options...) and I would love to get him to Denver to replace Barton hopefully one day


He's been hurt but still definitely a Clipper, my guess is we will be keeping him through next year.
User avatar
psimanic1
Starter
Posts: 2,389
And1: 1,121
Joined: Jul 14, 2014

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1405 » by psimanic1 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:33 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
psimanic1 wrote:I come in peace, but I am not bringing gifts, just one question. What is the situation with Jay Scrubb, is he still on LAC? Do you guys think you pick up his option for next season or is he UFA? I saw him on FA list(rfa, ufa, fa, options...) and I would love to get him to Denver to replace Barton hopefully one day


He's been hurt but still definitely a Clipper, my guess is we will be keeping him through next year.

:(
I really wanted him on Nuggets, while watching his videos saw a bit on Tatum in him for some reason, I think he can be really valuable and hope you guys go for a vet instead of him :lol:
ejftw
Head Coach
Posts: 7,024
And1: 2,012
Joined: Nov 30, 2008
Contact:
         

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1406 » by ejftw » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:56 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
psimanic1 wrote:I come in peace, but I am not bringing gifts, just one question. What is the situation with Jay Scrubb, is he still on LAC? Do you guys think you pick up his option for next season or is he UFA? I saw him on FA list(rfa, ufa, fa, options...) and I would love to get him to Denver to replace Barton hopefully one day


He's been hurt but still definitely a Clipper, my guess is we will be keeping him through next year.


Scrubb was someone I wanted the Clippers to buy a high second to draft for a while and I'd be pissed if they let him go

I firmly believe he has the skill set to have a Crawford/Lou type of career, a great microwave off the bench and think he will reach that echelon
User avatar
madmaxmedia
RealGM
Posts: 10,818
And1: 5,782
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal
     

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1407 » by madmaxmedia » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:58 pm

So how much did we improve our chances of keeping Kawhi by beating the Jazz? If he was on the fence, I think this series helped a lot…
nickhx2
General Manager
Posts: 9,488
And1: 5,217
Joined: Feb 13, 2014

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1408 » by nickhx2 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:25 am

prob very little

i just don't think he'd ever consider going anywhere else unless the team had a catastrophic first round exit. he was hell bent on heading to southern california for good reason, and i don't see that changing lol
wakelaunch1
Junior
Posts: 282
And1: 83
Joined: May 02, 2021

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1409 » by wakelaunch1 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:21 pm

Trade Machine Approved

Toronto Raptors
Ivica Zubac$7.0M19.1

Luke Kennard$5.3M12.7

LA Clippers
Ben Simmons$30.6M18.4

Aron Baynes$7.0M10.5

Philadelphia 76ers
M. Morris Sr.$14.9M14.5

Rodney Hood$10.0M5.6

Serge Ibaka$9.3M18.2

Clippers starting lineup
Jackson
Beverly
Kawhi
George
Simmons

Reserves
Mann
Batum
Baynes
Rondo
Patterson
User avatar
MartinToVaught
RealGM
Posts: 14,160
And1: 16,314
Joined: Oct 19, 2014
     

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1410 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:05 pm

I don't really see the upside in gutting our team for Simmons:

- Klutch Sports
- Questionable work ethic, questionable love for the game, "I am who I am, it is what it is"
- Refuses to play off-ball (reportedly one of the reasons why Jimmy left the Sixers)
- Not a playoff performer
- His refusal to shoot has reached the point where he can't even make free throws and is afraid to take wide-open dunks
- Massively overpaid

It's a huge gamble for a player who's shown absolutely nothing to suggest that he might be worth gambling on.
Image
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,903
And1: 1,450
Joined: Jul 08, 2019

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1411 » by NippySudz » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:09 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:I don't really see the upside in gutting our team for Simmons:

- Klutch Sports
- Questionable work ethic, questionable love for the game, "I am who I am, it is what it is"
- Refuses to play off-ball (reportedly one of the reasons why Jimmy left the Sixers)
- Not a playoff performer
- His refusal to shoot has reached the point where he can't even make free throws and is afraid to take wide-open dunks
- Massively overpaid

It's a huge gamble for a player who's shown absolutely nothing to suggest that he might be worth gambling on.

we can't afford simmons.

If simmons was a mid-level exceptional player, I 100% would love simmons on our team. Especially when Kawhi sits out, and him and PG can happen. He's a good player, he's just not an top 10 or all-nba player. Just a good player. If his contract was in the ballpark of luke kennards, everyone would be saying lets try to get him, but his contract is 180m so yeah lol. There's no point. I wouldn't trade Luke for him, even if they had the same contract btw. I'm just bringing up a contract figure.

I also don't think you should just close the door on people just because of what the perception is. People did that with Nicolas Batum and Reggie Jackson. Look what happened. Ben Simmons never got a good coach. He was coach by brett brown and Doc rivers. He was dealt a bad hand from the start.
User avatar
MartinToVaught
RealGM
Posts: 14,160
And1: 16,314
Joined: Oct 19, 2014
     

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1412 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:40 pm

NippySudz wrote:Ben Simmons never got a good coach. He was coach by brett brown and Doc rivers. He was dealt a bad hand from the start.

Brett Brown may have been a bad coach overall, but he actually tried to hold Ben accountable. He tried everything to convince Ben to work on his shot. It didn't work.

Doc, as we know, took the opposite approach of coddling Ben and making excuses for him. That didn't work either.

Coaching matters, but at some point, it's also on the player to want to get better. If Simmons cared more about basketball than PUBG and the Kardashians, that 1-point game he had against the Celtics would have motivated him to get better. Instead, he's getting worse every year and says things like "I am who I am, it is what it is" and "the Nets lost to the Bucks" to try to justify it.

However, it's not entirely Ben's fault or the coaches' fault, it's also Rich Paul's fault to some degree as well. He reportedly convinced Ben to stop working with the shooting coach who the Sixers had specifically hired to work with him. On the other hand, Simmons could always just leave Klutch and hire an agent who tells him what he needs to hear, not what he wants to hear.
Image
wakelaunch1
Junior
Posts: 282
And1: 83
Joined: May 02, 2021

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1413 » by wakelaunch1 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:48 pm

Think about our defensive abilities, switching. Make him follow around Kawhi with off season training. Kawhi had one of the worst jumpshots. But he turned trash into treasure. Also I think this failure by him will push him. Everyone saw him, everyone critiqued him. He is an elite defender. My god if we swarmed another team, if we did full court press, it might actually work. haha.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,903
And1: 1,450
Joined: Jul 08, 2019

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1414 » by NippySudz » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:48 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
NippySudz wrote:Ben Simmons never got a good coach. He was coach by brett brown and Doc rivers. He was dealt a bad hand from the start.

Brett Brown may have been a bad coach overall, but he actually tried to hold Ben accountable. He tried everything to convince Ben to work on his shot. It didn't work.

Doc, as we know, took the opposite approach of coddling Ben and making excuses for him. That didn't work either.

Coaching matters, but at some point, it's also on the player to want to get better. If Simmons cared more about basketball than PUBG and the Kardashians, that 1-point game he had against the Celtics would have motivated him to get better. Instead, he's getting worse every year and says things like "I am who I am, it is what it is" and "the Nets lost to the Bucks" to try to justify it.

I don't care to argue which one was the worst coach between the two. All I'm saying is that those two guys aren't helpful in helping coaching someone like Ben Simmons. Who Has brett brown developed other than Joel Embiid? and that's more of Joel Embiid. I can't name really a successful player in their system that grew under brett brown. That goes the same for Doc. Yes, players should be accountable for their success/evolution but It's also on the coaches for the players that don't have that drive and it's up to the front office to see if that player or coach belongs there for x amount of money.

Players saying they didn't know their role like Jimmy butler and other players kinda echoing the same thing. If the vets don't know what they need to work on, I doubt the younger players did as well. Had he had doc, I think he's shooting the ball because he wouldn't be babied. I don't think Brett held him as accountable as you are trying to suggest because if that was the case, he would have been benched until he improved in some capacity. He got empty media platitudes. Same with doc. Just in a different way.

There's equal blame to go around to all parties (simmons, doc, brown) because those two coaching tenures are bad coaches. If it was pop or someone like that, It's entirely on simmons.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,903
And1: 1,450
Joined: Jul 08, 2019

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1415 » by NippySudz » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:59 pm

wakelaunch1 wrote:Think about our defensive abilities, switching. Make him follow around Kawhi with off season training. Kawhi had one of the worst jumpshots. But he turned trash into treasure. Also I think this failure by him will push him. Everyone saw him, everyone critiqued him. He is an elite defender. My god if we swarmed another team, if we did full court press, it might actually work. haha.

he's a great player even with his limitations. It's just his contract sucks. I wouldn't overpay to get him but if there was no cap or a higher cap, I'd like him on our team if we didn't have to give up much to get him.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
Posts: 43,785
And1: 24,124
Joined: Jun 23, 2004
Location: NBA Fan
 

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1416 » by og15 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:41 pm

wakelaunch1 wrote:Think about our defensive abilities, switching. Make him follow around Kawhi with off season training. Kawhi had one of the worst jumpshots. But he turned trash into treasure. Also I think this failure by him will push him. Everyone saw him, everyone critiqued him. He is an elite defender. My god if we swarmed another team, if we did full court press, it might actually work. haha.

Kawhi's jumpshot wasn't ever "bad", it is made to seem like he was a trash shooter, he wasn't, he just wasn't good and didn't have consistent range, but he was not an incapable shooter, and he also was decent from the line, 74% FT in college. Kawhi wasn't a guy who couldn't shoot or never took shots and shot poor from the FT line where you were basically teaching them how to shoot. He was just not a good or consistent shooter, but that was also at 19 years old in college, so there was a lot of room to grow and he had a good enough starting point.

Simmons has multiple problems, he doesn't want to shoot, his starting point is much lower than where Kawhi was even in college/let alone the NBA, he has not shown the willingness to truly improve his jumpshot, and he's 25 years old vs Kawhi who was 20 years old coming into the NBA. Blake didn't improve his jumpshot because a coach had to motivate him to do so. The embarrassment of missing shots and being played off of pushed him to improve. I have that same mentality as Blake, you're not going to need to convince me to improve my jumpshot if I am a Ben Simmons. Simmons though just simply doesn't care enough, if it's always on others to motivate and push you, then there's an issue.
User avatar
MartinToVaught
RealGM
Posts: 14,160
And1: 16,314
Joined: Oct 19, 2014
     

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1417 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:33 pm

Kawhi worked his ass off to improve his shot with the Spurs' shooting coach, Chip Engelland, until he became the player he is today. Blake did the same with Bob Thate.

Simmons let his agent convince him to ignore the Sixers' shooting coach and just work with one of his brothers in the offseason after his rookie year instead. The following season, he shot worse from the free-throw line and took fewer shots outside of 16 feet than he did as a rookie. Those trends have continued ever since.

Kawhi and Blake took their careers seriously from day one. Simmons, on the other hand, appears to be content with being a glorified Andre Roberson.
Image
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,903
And1: 1,450
Joined: Jul 08, 2019

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1418 » by NippySudz » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:44 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:Kawhi worked his ass off to improve his shot with the Spurs' shooting coach, Chip Engelland, until he became the player he is today. Blake did the same with Bob Thate.

Simmons let his agent convince him to ignore the Sixers' shooting coach and just work with one of his brothers in the offseason after his rookie year instead. The following season, he shot worse from the free-throw line and took fewer shots outside of 16 feet than he did as a rookie. Those trends have continued ever since.

Kawhi and Blake took their careers seriously from day one. Simmons, on the other hand, appears to be content with being a glorified Andre Roberson.

I'd gladly take glorified andre roberson with kawhi and PG if it wasn't for cap restrictions. A guy like that is great to have, he could guard bigger taller players and take a load on PG and Kawhi doing so. It just so happens his contract sucks.

If it didn't, people would want him. He's worth something , just not the current market value he is now. If he were somewhat bought out, which is not going to be, I'd love for the clippers to sign him. That's only a pipe dream. 6'10 PG's with vision and rebound attritbutes don't grow on trees. Roberson wasn't doing that sh-t
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,903
And1: 1,450
Joined: Jul 08, 2019

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1419 » by NippySudz » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:07 pm

If the sixers want to give away simmons for free, like I said, I'll take him.

Read on Twitter


Put him with a good coach with confidence and a sports psychologist, these shots are going to be more consistent.
nickhx2
General Manager
Posts: 9,488
And1: 5,217
Joined: Feb 13, 2014

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1420 » by nickhx2 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:38 pm

if we ever ended up trading for him, kenny atkinson might be able to do wonders for him.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers