ImageImageImageImageImage

Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Re: Cavs Trying to Snipe Clips on Frye 

Post#41 » by TucsonClip » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:26 am

Ranma wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/700110312201007104[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/700110702694936576[/tweet]

Thats a backup plan for the Magic. Varejao still owed $9.36 out of 10.36 million on that contract if waived. Lance has a team option for next season.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Re: Trade Discussion Part 3 (News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#42 » by Forte IV » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:04 am

To me the only way I'd be up for a Lance trade is if its for Rudy Gay. I honestly don't see where Frye even fits in with this team. Once Blake is back I doubt he see's the rotation. Even now I don't think he cracks the rotation outside of maybe 6 minutes a game.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Stop Giving Away Picks! 

Post#43 » by Ranma » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:05 am

Really?! Dumping another 1st-round pick for a player on an expiring contract whom we are unlikely to re-sign? Yeah, we can read the tweets below to mean that the Clippers aren't necessarily offering this, but come on, Bolch isn't coming up with this crap out of the blue. He has sources with access to the inner workings of the organization.

Also, Brian Windhorst went on a podcast [36:00 timestamp] along with Kevin Arnovitz and Amin Elhassan to claim that Ballmer was upset with Griffin over the incident and wanted to see what we could get for him, which prompted our exploratory trade calls. Windhorst has a reputable track record, so I give him the benefit of the doubt.

I still don't want to trade BG but I've grown more open to the idea given the incident and his scripted interview talking about it in the aftermath. Hopefully, he'll come back and win his owner and fans over with his play in the playoffs and conduct moving forward.

In any case, I want to re-iterate my vehement disapproval of Doc's decision-making in the front office. It's bad enough that Doc looks to be continuing his modus operandi of sacrificing draft picks for questionable short-term gain, but to have him put together a deal to trade away our superstar in response to a reaction--maybe even overreaction--of a mistake is playing with fire with gasoline involved.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/700119511207321600[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/latbbolch/status/700118353008955393[/tweet]
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Latest Woj Update on Frye Deal 

Post#44 » by Ranma » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:17 am

Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports (2/17/16)
As the Los Angeles Clippers delay a decision on completing a deal for Orlando Magic forward Channing Frye, the Magic are becoming more motivated to move Frye to Cleveland into a trade exception, league sources told The Vertical.

The Cavaliers can absorb Frye’s $8.2 million salary into a $10.5 million trade exception.

The Clippers told the Magic they need until Thursday morning to decide on a deal that would send Frye to the Clippers for Lance Stephenson, C.J. Wilcox and a second-round pick, league sources said.

The Magic have no desire to bring back Anderson Varejao’s contract in a deal, league sources said. Varejao’s deal includes two years and nearly $19 million guaranteed. The Cavaliers are searching out teams with space, such as Philadelphia and Portland, which could take on Varejao’s contract as part of a three-team trade, league sources said.

Those teams would likely be compensated with draft considerations and cash to take on Varejao. For this reason, the Cavaliers won’t take on Frye without finding a home for Varejao’s deal: Those two contracts together on Cleveland’s roster would push the team’s luxury tax bill from $61 million to nearly $96 million in 2016.

The Clippers have been exploring other trade possibilities that include Stephenson’s contract.

NBA Trade Deadline Buzz: As Clippers Delay on Frye, Magic Turning to Cavs
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Quick Look at Russo-Hann Exchange Over Stephenson 

Post#45 » by Ranma » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:27 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FlyByKnite/status/700124174790971392[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/LucasJHann/status/700124376247767041[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/FlyByKnite/status/700125201221062656[/tweet]
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Re: Latest Woj Update on Frye Deal 

Post#46 » by TucsonClip » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:39 am

Ranma wrote:Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports (2/17/16)
As the Los Angeles Clippers delay a decision on completing a deal for Orlando Magic forward Channing Frye, the Magic are becoming more motivated to move Frye to Cleveland into a trade exception, league sources told The Vertical.

The Cavaliers can absorb Frye’s $8.2 million salary into a $10.5 million trade exception.

The Clippers told the Magic they need until Thursday morning to decide on a deal that would send Frye to the Clippers for Lance Stephenson, C.J. Wilcox and a second-round pick, league sources said.

The Magic have no desire to bring back Anderson Varejao’s contract in a deal, league sources said. Varejao’s deal includes two years and nearly $19 million guaranteed. The Cavaliers are searching out teams with space, such as Philadelphia and Portland, which could take on Varejao’s contract as part of a three-team trade, league sources said.

Those teams would likely be compensated with draft considerations and cash to take on Varejao. For this reason, the Cavaliers won’t take on Frye without finding a home for Varejao’s deal: Those two contracts together on Cleveland’s roster would push the team’s luxury tax bill from $61 million to nearly $96 million in 2016.

The Clippers have been exploring other trade possibilities that include Stephenson’s contract.

NBA Trade Deadline Buzz: As Clippers Delay on Frye, Magic Turning to Cavs

Ill believe they absorb him into their TPE when I see it. Their tax bill is already gigantic.

- Shane Battier
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Re: Quick Look at Russo-Hann Exchange Over Stephenson 

Post#47 » by TucsonClip » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:41 am

Ranma wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/FlyByKnite/status/700124174790971392[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/LucasJHann/status/700124376247767041[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/FlyByKnite/status/700125201221062656[/tweet]

A lot of noise in defensive box plus-minus. Some of the guys on that list are off by quite a bit and that is noticeable via the noise in DBPM. Two primary examples of this are J.J. Redick and Klay Thompson. Klay is obviously a much better defender than DBPM notes (-2.1). Redick (we know for a fact) is actually a pretty good team defender and solid 1v1 (ask James Harden).

Also, its a box score statistic and Redick doesnt record steals or blocks...

- Shane Battier
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

``````````` 

Post#48 » by MelosSoreWrist » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:51 am

Forte IV wrote:To me the only way I'd be up for a Lance trade is if its for Rudy Gay. I honestly don't see where Frye even fits in with this team. Once Blake is back I doubt he see's the rotation. Even now I don't think he cracks the rotation outside of maybe 6 minutes a game.

I agree with this pov. If the Clippers are going to be successful this post season, a lot has to go right in the playoffs. One of those is having Lance play like he did for Indiana his last season there.
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,047

Griffin And The Clippers Must Face The Music - Together 

Post#49 » by Wammy Giveaway » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:35 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MrMichaelLee/status/700158128684457988[/tweet]

Selected excerpt from the article, which happens to be the Clippers X-factor into the playoffs:

Michael Lee wrote:Paul doesn't believe the team or Griffin will have to make many adjustments when they get back together. "Blake is watching games. Blake is a competitor. He's paying attention to everything and when he gets ready, he'll be ready, and he's going to come back ready to rock," Paul told The Vertical. "That's our brother. It's a family over here. And things happen within families. We're going to welcome him with open arms."

The word "family" is thrown around often within the Clippers' locker room, and the core of the team has been together long enough that the relationships don't come across as hollow. They aren't just missing Griffin but also Testi, who didn't receive any punishment from the team for his role in the incident. Players and coaches have tightened the circle since the fight, stressing absolution and reconciliation when the moment arrives.

"We're human," Rivers told The Vertical. "I joked when I said we built Richard Nixon a library. So, we're a forgiving country and we're forgiving people and you're really talking about young people. Blake's a young person, still. Unfortunately, his life is played out in front of people, where others' aren't. Blake, in the long run, will show you exactly who he is. He's a great guy. And he'll get past this."
Ranma
RealGM

EJ Available 

Post#50 » by Ranma » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:00 am

John Reid, Times Picayune (2/17/16)
Sources say Demps has shopped Gordon and Asik, but has not attracted much interest. Gordon has an expiring contract, but he has had an injury-riddled career with the Pelicans that includes missing the last 12 games with a fractured ring finger.

Sources say the Pelicans are keeping a roster open before the trade deadline, which is why they don't plan to re-sign rookie Bryce Dejean-Jones until after deadline. The Pelicans want to keep a roster spot available in case they acquire another shooting guard in a potential trade involving Gordon.

Pelicans GM Dell Demps Still Considering Potential Trades with Thursday's Deadline Looming
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#51 » by QRich3 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:29 am

TucsonClip wrote:A lot of noise in defensive box plus-minus. Some of the guys on that list are off by quite a bit and that is noticeable via the noise in DBPM. Two primary examples of this are J.J. Redick and Klay Thompson. Klay is obviously a much better defender than DBPM notes (-2.1). Redick (we know for a fact) is actually a pretty good team defender and solid 1v1 (ask James Harden).

Also, its a box score statistic and Redick doesnt record steals or blocks...

Exactly, if we're gonna measure the D part of 3&D by BPM we might as well do it randomly. Also, Lance is far from a good 3PT shooter, and implying he is because he happened to shoot 19-47 this season (mostly on garbage time) is the shallowest type of analysis.

This Justin Russo guy is all over the place really, his "analysis" on Frye is pretty absurd as well. Of course the guy is not a great rim protector, if he was a rim protector shooting 58.6 TS% with a 65% 3PAr he'd be making $20M a year as a core piece on a contender, not being available for Lance and Wilcox' contracts.

That's not what you're supposed to be asking of him, he's just supposed to not tear the defense apart while he opens up things for DJ, Blake or Cole on the other end. Yes he has problems moving his feet against small guys in the P&R but he's decent enough to not be unplayable against bench players because of it, and a big advantage on the other side to compensate. He's not gonna be playing crunch time against the Warriors in May, really you're just asking him to be better than Hawes, which is a pretty realistic task. The guy is playing 17 minutes a game for an average defense in Orlando, sharing almost all of his minutes with an awful defender in Vucevic, and his defensive numbers still look good. His on/off numbers are positive, his defensive RAPM is currently in the top 50 in the league and generally everything indicates he doesn't have a considerably negative impact.

MelosSoreWrist wrote:
Forte IV wrote:To me the only way I'd be up for a Lance trade is if its for Rudy Gay. I honestly don't see where Frye even fits in with this team. Once Blake is back I doubt he see's the rotation. Even now I don't think he cracks the rotation outside of maybe 6 minutes a game.

I agree with this pov. If the Clippers are going to be successful this post season, a lot has to go right in the playoffs. One of those is having Lance play like he did for Indiana his last season there.

If that's what we're banking on, we can throw the towel right here right now.

Also, what's with the Cavs trying to cockblock everyone we go after?
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#52 » by mkwest » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:14 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/700367283340779520[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheNBABreak/status/700368079138770945[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/700372108036206592[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/700372404866936832[/tweet]
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#53 » by mkwest » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:45 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/700374998976823296[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/700376243632377856[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DanWoikeSports/status/700376759326216192[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DanWoikeSports/status/700377193801617409[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/700377651698122752[/tweet]
Wammy Giveaway
Starter

On Frye To Cleveland 

Post#54 » by Wammy Giveaway » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:59 pm

Anderson Varejao was a favorite to both the Cavaliers and LeBron James. If they truly wanted to win a title, they needed to give up somebody they truly loved. Cleveland understood. I see them making the Finals again this year because of this sacrifice. Being attached to someone you truly love is a double-edge sword; you can't always depend on love (figuratively speaking) as the sole reason you want to win a title.

Let's see if the Clippers follow the Cavaliers model, or if Doc Rivers is still enamored by his guys. Because, as MK West pointed out via Dan Woike, Doc still likes Lance Stephenson, even after being glued to the bench because of his love for Crawford, Pierce and his son Austin.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#55 » by Forte IV » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:01 pm

I'm patiently waiting for either Wammy or Ranma to post my response to Dan as a reliable source
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
Wammy Giveaway
Starter

Post#56 » by Wammy Giveaway » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:02 pm

Forte IV wrote:I'm patiently waiting for either Wammy or Ranma to post my response to Dan as a reliable source

Wait, what? Come again?
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#57 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:10 pm

Great.

We miss out on Channing Frye.
smfh
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#58 » by QRich3 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:19 pm

If the price for Frye was a 1st round pick to Portland to absorb Lance, I'm glad we didn't do it.
Ranma
RealGM

Post If You Have Something to Say 

Post#59 » by Ranma » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:22 pm

Forte IV wrote:I'm patiently waiting for either Wammy or Ranma to post my response to Dan as a reliable source

I'm not sure if this is in reference to the Frye deal not happening. I tend to post stuff from people with media credentials. Even in those instances, I'll typically note when the source is considered questionable like Mitch Lawrence and Frank Isola.

Just because a Frye deal didn't happen doesn't mean it wasn't heavily considered as Adrian Wojnarowski and others have confirmed such talks happened. I even posted that Eric Gordon was available per a newspaper in New Orleans.

Lucas J. Hann and Justin Russo may or may not have media credentials as bloggers, but they tend to bring up interesting numbers or points even if Russo tends to have a personal slant to his comments. In any case, my aim is to bring something to the discussion. Russo was the one who was credited with bringing the details of Gillian Zucker's foibles with regard to the logo and uniforms to light, so he has access to information and at least has accomplished something newsworthy. Hann is a recent follow for me and I find his opinions to be sensible and even insightful at times; his contributions are of personal interest to me.

I'll occasionally sprinkle in comments in response to the aforementioned commenters because I find them either humorous or of interest.

If you have something to say, Forte IV (or whomever else), by all means share it with us. And if you have a specific criticism or suggestion to further improve the discussion around here, please do enlighten us with them as well.
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#60 » by MelosSoreWrist » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:37 pm

QRich3 wrote:
MelosSoreWrist wrote:

If that's what we're banking on, we can throw the towel right here right now.

Also, what's with the Cavs trying to cockblock everyone we go after?

I think we can all agree, right now, the LAC is lacking verses the Western elite teams of Warriors, Spurs and OKC. Theyd probably have to beat 2 of those 3 teams in the playoffs. So its a long shot anyway. I just feel a stretch 4/5 of Channing Frey in the second unit isnt as impactful as a potential offense, defense, playmaking, hyperactive G/SF guy like Stephenson.
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?

Return to Los Angeles Clippers