ImageImageImageImageImage

Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,955

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#461 » by ejftw » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:15 pm

Done, no tradebacks.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Another Hypothetical Sign-and-Trade Proposal for BG 

Post#462 » by Ranma » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:50 am

With previous talk of sign-and-trade scenarios of Blake Griffin for Paul George (thumbs up) and BG for Melo (thumbs down). I was curious that if Utah was resigned to losing Gordon Hayward, would we be interested in a sign-and-trade for him with Griffin going back to them. This is purely hypothetical as Blake is not likely to sign off on that, especially with both Hayward and himself as free agents.

I like the idea of having Hayward but I don't like the concept of giving him a max deal. Then again, would he offer more value than Griffin in that regard? Having a backcourt of Hayward and Chris Paul to go along with either Carmelo Anthony or Paul George (or LeBron) in a separate acquistion does appeal to me. This is more of a mental exercise than realistic proposal but it got me thinking.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,407

Re: Another Hypothetical Sign-and-Trade Proposal for BG 

Post#463 » by Roscoe Sheed » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:35 am

Ranma wrote:With previous talk of sign-and-trade scenarios of Blake Griffin for Paul George (thumbs up) and BG for Melo (thumbs down). I was curious that if Utah was resigned to losing Gordon Hayward, would we be interested in a sign-and-trade for him with Griffin going back to them. This is purely hypothetical as Blake is not likely to sign off on that, especially with both Hayward and himself as free agents.

I like the idea of having Hayward but I don't like the concept of giving him a max deal. Then again, would he offer more value than Griffin in that regard? Having a backcourt of Hayward and Chris Paul to go along with either Carmelo Anthony or Paul George (or LeBron) in a separate acquistion does appeal to me. This is more of a mental exercise than realistic proposal but it got me thinking.

I don't think you're allowed to do sign and trades with 2 free agents
Ranma
RealGM

My Continued Mental Block + CP3-to-Houston Speculation 

Post#464 » by Ranma » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:50 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:I don't think you're allowed to do sign and trades with 2 free agents

I think you're right and someone else mentioned that before and I keep forgetting.

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,159

Post#465 » by og15 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:15 pm

Elrod is Back wrote:I come as a Celtics fan, and I promise you I am not trying to cook up deals where the other team gets fleeced. I am trying to do a deal that works for both teams.

Here's my idea. Say the Celtics clear capspace and are able to sign Gordon Hayward to a max deal. Then the Cs immediately turn their attention to Blake Griffin and they agree to a max deal assuming the Clippers are willing to do a sign-and-trade.

Would the Clippers do such a deal if in return the Cs offered Al Horford, Jae Crowder and the return of the Clips 2019 no. 1 pick? Note that both Horford and Crowder are inked through 2010, and Crowder has arguably one of the best contracts (from a management perspective) in the NBA.

I'm assuming you meant 2020, and if Blake wants to leave, this is a good trade, that doesn't mean it is the best option, but it is a good trade. The Clippers would be putting a lot of money into Horford, but if Blake leaves the Clippers can't actually replace him. The issue for the Clippers would obviously still be the lack of a secondary playmaker / shot creator in the starting lineup. I guess in this scenario, that Carmelo trade is something they can still pursue and just go big:

Chris Paul
Jae Crowder
Carmelo Anthony
Al Horford
DeAndre Jordan

I mean it isn't bad or anything, one can imagine how that can be a potent lineup. Jae Crowder like mention is signed until 19-20. Al Horford is signed until 18-19 and 19-20 is a player option which he will likely pick up. Carmelo is definitely not picking up his 18-19 option, so he's technically just a one year contract and the Clippers can decide whether to keep him. DJ is not going to pick up his 18-19 option IMO as he would probably want to secure a longer contract. So technically for the Clippers, both Carmelo and DJ would be free agents.

So the Clippers could try to get ahead of the situation and trade DJ to bring in some perimeter help.

Chris Paul
Shooting Guard
Jae Crowder
Carmelo Anthony
Al Horford

Depending on who "shooting guard" is, again, it might not be bad. If they just keep DJ and see what that first lineup can do, the Clippers with Paul / Horford and their lower salary players could be able to have cap space for a max contract next off-season if they renounce Carmelo and Jordan. The issue of course if that who will be available? There's always the possibility of Lebron as he will likely be a FA again, but the only other notable guy would be DeMarcus Cousins, and I don't know if he's the type of player West would be advocating for them to get or if he's even the best choice. On paper it looks pretty good, but how good? No other really notable FA's next off-season if I remember correctly.
Ranma
RealGM

Paul George Should Be Available 

Post#466 » by Ranma » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:26 pm

og15 wrote:There's always the possibility of Lebron as he will likely be a FA again, but the only other notable guy would be DeMarcus Cousins, and I don't know if he's the type of player West would be advocating for them to get or if he's even the best choice. On paper it looks pretty good, but how good? No other really notable FA's next off-season if I remember correctly.

Like LeBron, Paul George has a player option for 2018-19, which he is likely to exercise his opt-out clause.

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Trade Bait 

Post#467 » by Ranma » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:22 pm

Read on Twitter
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,159

Can Clippers somehow get Paul George? 

Post#468 » by og15 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:53 pm

So with the news about Paul George, that is a very interesting addition to the mix. Now it says he wants to go to the Lakers, but it seems like LA in general. The problem of course is that the Clippers assets suck. Now we know the Lakers won't be giving up many asset for him either, it seems like Randle and Clarkson plus one of their bloated contracts (don't know if that is needed to match) would be their main offers. Clippers don't really have much, but can the Clippers figure something out? Move DJ for assets in order to get George?

Preliminary thoughts, but things got a little more interesting...
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,293

Post#469 » by nickhx2 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:00 pm

moving jordan for paul george would be the dream.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#470 » by Forte IV » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:33 pm

If only Larry Bird was still there. That man loved DJ.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#471 » by TucsonClip » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:10 pm

No reason to think the Cavs and Clippers wont be working on 3-way deals to land PG.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#472 » by mkwest » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:40 pm

Read on Twitter

Back in the day...
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#473 » by mkwest » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:02 am

Read on Twitter

I Could totally be off, but perhaps there's another reason for George stating his "intentions" and "preferences" now. If he prefers to go to the Lakers in 2018 (who may very well be able to sign him outright), what's the point in trading for him and giving up their assets in the process? If other teams know that trading for him will likely only result in a "rental" before he signs with the Lakers in 2018, why would they give up much?

If it's primarily lowball offers for him in a "1-year rental," the Pacers are forced to take on whatever they can get from the few teams who are actually willing to part with anything remotely of any value. They won't be breaking the bank to end up with heartache though. Only a contender or a team believing that he will push them into the title picture should be interested. By being traded now, his new "contending" team will own his bird rights after acquiring him in a lowball offer. He said he wants to win. Going to the Lakers may fulfill his goal if it is playing close to home, but there's no certainty that their youth become the stars that their fans hope that they will be. If he's contending for a title this season and still prefers to walk away from that and his bird rights to head to the Lakers, then I'd be pretty surprised.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#474 » by Neddy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:36 am

I don't know if big Steve or Doc has any way to facilitate it, but I do believe if anyone can formulate a way to keep CP3, Blake, and still bring in PG13, it is Jerry West.

I am 100% certain that Jerry understands the window that his old Warriors he built has, and our top players prime and peak overlaps his former team. not only that there are little chance or options to dethrone the team from the bay area as we are built. it's gotta be either we tank and rebuild in time when the Warriors are surely in decline, or we make a big time splash to add to what we already have, and have big Steve to eat the league imposed taxes as he is clearly not in it for the profit.

knowing how old the Mr. Logo is, I have a suspicion that he isn't planning something that would take nearly a decade......
ehhhhh f it.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#475 » by Forte IV » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:54 am

Offer Austin Rivers, Wes Johnson, Brice Johnson, Diamond Stone '21 1st and call it a day. I wish.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 726

Post#476 » by Captain Ballmer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:08 am

I think it's time to seriously consider trading DJ for a cheaper center and draft Picks that Indy could interest If Paul George is a realistic possibility to get, even for only one year rental. A kind of move that would seal the deal for both BG and CP3 too.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
UKClipperfan
Junior
And1: 181

Post#477 » by UKClipperfan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:15 pm

DieHardFan wrote:I think it's time to seriously consider trading DJ for a cheaper center and draft Picks that Indy could interest If Paul George is a realistic possibility to get, even for only one year rental. A kind of move that would seal the deal for both BG and CP3 too.

I'm not so sure it would seal the deal. It might, but you go through the DJ-Dallas fiasco only to trade him down the line? Could be a real turn off for Blake and CP, maybe even PG. The appeal would be for all of them to play together anyway. Even if DJ is traded, the assets we'd get in return won't be as good as what other teams have.

Seeing as Indiana are bound to be low-balled (Celtics can say they want Jimmy Butler, Lakers can say they will wait until free agency, other teams will point to the rental aspect), I'd just put a concrete offer on the table straight away and hope they pull the trigger. Our next 2 unprotected 1sts (2021+2023) and salary filler (Austin+Wes).
Ranma
RealGM

Clips Trying to Get Iggy with It 

Post#478 » by Ranma » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:06 pm

Read on Twitter

Shams Charania, Yahoo Sports (6/19/17)
Many teams are expected to pursue discussions with Iguodala, including the Warriors, Utah Jazz, Los Angeles Clippers, Chicago Bulls, Minnesota Timberwolves and Atlanta Hawks, league sources said. Among teams around the league, there’s a belief that the value this summer for a two-way wing such as Iguodala could reach $20 million annually.

Sources: Andre Iguodala's Free Agency Could Put Future with Warriors in Doubt
Ranma
RealGM

Movement on Lakers' Front 

Post#479 » by Ranma » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:13 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Seems Like Iggy Inclined to Stay in Golden State 

Post#480 » by Ranma » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:30 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Clippers