ImageImageImageImageImage

Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#701 » by Roddy B for 3 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:06 pm

nickhx2 wrote:no that'd be awful

What if it was just Wes? He is only an 18.7 Million expiering and is a better player than Danillo
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,302

Post#702 » by Dynamix » Fri May 11, 2018 4:21 pm

If he's that good you should look into extending him.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#703 » by M-C-G » Fri May 11, 2018 8:27 pm

What are you guys thinking about Harrell? Is he a keeper or just another guy?
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#704 » by esqtvd » Fri May 11, 2018 8:33 pm

M-C-G wrote:What are you guys thinking about Harrell? Is he a keeper or just another guy?

A keeper guy. At 6'8" too short to be a starting C but hell on wheels on the 2nd unit. Unless it's it's ridiculous money, we'll let him test the RFA market and match whatever he's offered.

Good article here.

https://www.clipsnation.com/2018/5/4/17318660/2017-2018-clippers-exit-interview-montrezl-harrell
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#705 » by M-C-G » Fri May 11, 2018 8:46 pm

esqtvd wrote:
M-C-G wrote:What are you guys thinking about Harrell? Is he a keeper or just another guy?

A keeper guy. At 6'8" too short to be a starting C but hell on wheels on the 2nd unit. Unless it's it's ridiculous money, we'll let him test the RFA market and match whatever he's offered.

Good article here.

https://www.clipsnation.com/2018/5/4/17318660/2017-2018-clippers-exit-interview-montrezl-harrell

If there was a way to make the numbers work, would you guys do something centered around Bledsoe for Harrell/Bev?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#706 » by esqtvd » Fri May 11, 2018 8:57 pm

M-C-G wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Good article here.

If there was a way to make the numbers work, would you guys do something centered around Bledsoe for Harrell/Bev?

Not a Bledsoe fan meself, at any price. Some good numbers but shoots the 3 at only 34% lifetime and last year's 5.1/2.9 assist-to-TO ratio [lifetime 4.7/2.7] is unacceptable to me.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,291

Post#707 » by babyjax13 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:59 pm

Utah trades: Alec Burks, Jae Crowder, Thabo Sefelosha, Jonas Jerebko, Ekpe Udoh, 21
Utah receives: Danilo Gallinari, Kenneth Faried, 12, 14

LAC trades: Danilo Gallinari, 12
LAC receives: Alec Burks, Jae Crowder

DEN trades: Kenneth Faried, 14
DEN receives: Thabo Sefelosha, Jonas Jerebko, Ekpe Udoh, 21

The Clippers dump an anchorweight of a contract while getting back two useful wing players to bolster their roster.

Denver pulls themselves out of the luxury tax (all the contracts they receive are ung.). They move down in the draft, but the wing players they'd likely be looking at will still be available at 21 (or some of them will be).

Utah takes on a massive amount of money (Faried will be expiring, Gallinari will have one more year). But...if Gallinari can stay healthy (he never has) that gives us the second scorer we need, and we get two shots in the late lottery to grab players we like (+ get cost-controlled contracts).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#708 » by Quake Griffin » Sat May 12, 2018 12:30 am

No.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,247

Post#709 » by Papi_swav » Sun May 13, 2018 4:10 am

Deangelo Russell for your 13th?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#710 » by esqtvd » Sun May 13, 2018 10:31 am

Papi_swav wrote:Deangelo Russell for your 13th?

Yes, but only on draft night after I see who's left on the board. There might be somebody I like better.

He's damaged goods but strangely enough, Doc Rivers is the perfect coach for him.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,247

Post#711 » by Papi_swav » Sun May 13, 2018 5:48 pm

esqtvd wrote:

Yes, but only on draft night after I see who's left on the board. There might be somebody I like better.

He's damaged goods but strangely enough, Doc Rivers is the perfect coach for him.

Perfect, I didn't think a Clipper fan agree to this at all but I'm glad it seems like a fair deal.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#712 » by Quake Griffin » Sun May 13, 2018 9:35 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Perfect, I didn't think a Clipper fan agree to this at all but I'm glad it seems like a fair deal.

One would.

I don't like DeAngelo's game at all.
No thanks.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#713 » by esqtvd » Mon May 14, 2018 1:54 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

One would.

I don't like DeAngelo's game at all.
No thanks.

Gotta take some chances. You just can't draft socks and underwear in this league, like DJ's "replacement" Robert Williams. I hate the TOs and his D is questioned, but D'Angelo's a 6'5" PG, his assists are already better than Bledsoe's, and his 3-ball looks promising. He's already a legit NBAer and he only just turned 22.

From there through the end of the season, Russell averaged 15.5 points and 6.0 assists per game. Perhaps most encouraging was his 36-percent shooting from 3-point range during that stretch. Russell shot just 30 percent from deep over the first, pre-injury phase of his season after shooting 35 percent during his first two seasons in Los Angeles.

There was no shortage of dazzling games from the mercurial lefty. His season high came early with 33 points against Phoenix on Oct. 31. In March he followed up a 26-point game against Philadelphia with 32 points against Toronto, making his first six 3-pointers. Russell registered the first Nets triple-double in eight years with 18 points, and season highs of 13 assists and 11 rebounds against Toronto on March 23, and two games later had 16 points and 12 assists in a win at Orlando.

http://www.nba.com/nets/news/2018/04/25/brooklyn-nets-season-review-dangelo-russell
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,955

Post#714 » by ejftw » Mon May 14, 2018 5:14 am

If D'Angelo had two years left on his rookie deal prior to the QO, I'd be content with it. As is, I'm iffy, as his expected extension cuts into our 2019 space.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#715 » by esqtvd » Mon May 14, 2018 7:19 am

ejftw wrote:If D'Angelo had two years left on his rookie deal prior to the QO, I'd be content with it. As is, I'm iffy, as his expected extension cuts into our 2019 space.

Good point. Still, he'd still only be a RFA so we could match any offer. And if he were to come here and thrive under Doc's tutelage, he'd probably accept any reasonable offer before going out on the open market. D'Angelo is still damaged goods in the NBA even if he has a good season here.

If he did as well as he did in the total bloody mess that is the Nets, I think he'd do far better here. We finished over .500 with CJ, Ty Wallace, Sindarius and Jawun all playing significant minutes, all of whom should have spent the year at Agua Caliente.

D'Angelo only turned 22 in February and has 2 full NBA seasons under his belt, in which he's achieved more than CJ [27], Ty [24 in June], Sindarius [24 in November] and Jawun [only 6 months younger] put together.

Wish those 4 the best and continued success, but let's be serious here. Those 4 wouldn't even have seen the court even on the Nets.

And this conversation's moot anyway, as I sincerely doubt the Nets are gonna give him away for a lousy mid-FRP.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,426

Post#716 » by TrueLAfan » Mon May 14, 2018 4:03 pm

D'Angelo Russell would be a calculated risk--but we don't have a lot to lose. We've got a lot of mediocre guards, and the player with the most value in the group is a UFA.

Which (sorry) I want to return to for a sec. I'm going to sort of disagree that we can’t get anything for Bradley. 95% of the time, people would be right—but this is a different (kind of weird) situation.

There aren’t that many teams with cap space
Bradley’s salary demands won’t/can’t be a whole lot above the exception
It’s a buyers market this year
It will be a sellers market in (at least) the next two summers.
Bradley is 27 now

So, in order:

--There are seven teams projected to have $10 million in cap space this summer, and a couple of them (Philadelphia, for instance) won’t think about adding salary because they need to take of their own players soon. So there’s not a lot of teams with usable cap space.
--Bradley wanted $16 million plus … before he got injured. He’s a risk now. He won’t get anything like $16 million. But he’s worth more than the exception, which is around $8.6 million. Teams will take a (fairly low-risk) chance on a good player for 2/3 years at around $10-11 million a year.
--There are a lot of players and not many teams to bid for them. Players like Derrick Favors, Tyreke Evans, Julius Randle, Zach LaVine, Jusuf Nurkic, Will Barton, and Elfrid Payton (to name a few) will be looking for contracts between the exception and $15-17 million. This year is a buyer’s market. Some of those guys will go for the exception because they can’t get more.
--There are more teams that will have space in the next two years as the 3-4 year deals signed in the freak show year of 2016 go off the books. (We know this as the summer we committed $17-19 million to Wesley Johnson and Austin Rivers.) The cap is projected to make solid gains. The market will shift to a seller’s market.
--Given all of that…Avery Bradley is 27 years old. If he signs a 3 year/$31.5 deal with a player option in year three, he’ll be a (relative) bargain and can come out of his contract in a good year for free agency when he’s still only 29. Compare him to Will Barton, who's also a UFA. Barton is the same age. They’re similar as scorers. Barton is slightly more efficient and isn’t coming off an injury filled season. Bradley is the better defender. Hoopshype has an article on Barton and projects teams offering him 4 year/$50 million or 2 year $24 million deals. I’d buy that; I think Barton, without injury, is worth slightly more than Bradley.

I don’t think we’re going to get anything great for Bradley—a (minor) salary dump and a low first round pick would be terrific. Bayless and #26--the draft is deep this year. We could get someone at #26 that would, in another draft, be a lottery candidate. Package AB with another guard--Austin is an expiring deal--and see what you can get. There's value there. We need to get it.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,426

Post#717 » by TrueLAfan » Mon May 14, 2018 4:12 pm

A couple of articles from ESPN that say (better) most of the stuff I’m talking about.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22336760/zach-lowe-2018-nba-trade-deadline-preview-cavaliers-deandre-jordan-more

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22263630/nba-financial-crunch-coming

From that first article—related directly to us and Bradley

Only a half-dozen or so teams have real room this summer. A few of those -- Atlanta, Phoenix, probably Chicago -- seem disinclined to spend it on veterans. Who is backing up the Isaiah Thomas Memorial Brinks Truck for Hood? The answer might be: nobody.

A lot of quality free agents are going to discover their market tops out at the larger midlevel exception reserved for teams over the cap, but under the tax -- around $9 million per season. But some teams won't use that, since doing so would take them over (or perilously close to) the tax -- and trigger a hard cap right above it.

That leaves the baby midlevel (about $5 million per year), the biannual exception ($3.3 million-ish), and minimum salaries. Teams are going to get good players at the minimum this summer.

Teams -- even those over the cap -- can pay their own free agents as much as they'd like, up to the max, due to a mechanism called "Bird rights." With money so tight, Bird rights become more valuable. Teams could almost wield them as a cudgel against veteran free agents in July: "No one is offering you more than the midlevel, but we can. Take this flat deal. It's a win for you."

And even if a team decides it still doesn't want to retain its own free agent that way in July, it can use that same Bird rights leverage in a sign-and-trade. It could be a win-win: The player gets paid, and his team gets more in return than it could today.
This could apply to almost any impending free agent with full Bird rights: Hood, Favors, Avery Bradley, Will Barton, Williams, Julius Randle, and others. (It does not apply to Evans; the Grizzlies do not have his Bird rights, since he is on a one-year deal.)
ejftw
General Manager

Post#718 » by ejftw » Mon May 14, 2018 4:52 pm

esqtvd wrote:
ejftw wrote:If D'Angelo had two years left on his rookie deal prior to the QO, I'd be content with it. As is, I'm iffy, as his expected extension cuts into our 2019 space.

Good point. Still, he'd still only be a RFA so we could match any offer. And if he were to come here and thrive under Doc's tutelage, he'd probably accept any reasonable offer before going out on the open market. D'Angelo is still damaged goods in the NBA even if he has a good season here.

If he did as well as he did in the total bloody mess that is the Nets, I think he'd do far better here. We finished over .500 with CJ, Ty Wallace, Sindarius and Jawun all playing significant minutes, all of whom should have spent the year at Agua Caliente.

D'Angelo only turned 22 in February and has 2 full NBA seasons under his belt, in which he's achieved more than CJ [27], Ty [24 in June], Sindarius [24 in November] and Jawun [only 6 months younger] put together.

Wish those 4 the best and continued success, but let's be serious here. Those 4 wouldn't even have seen the court even on the Nets.

And this conversation's moot anyway, as I sincerely doubt the Nets are gonna give him away for a lousy mid-FRP.

Even being a RFA, he still cuts into cap space with his QO being over $9M, while hoping he doesn't sign an offer sheet until the rest of the cap space is utilized properly.

I also wouldn't count doing 15.5/3.9/5.2 (on his usage) with 3.1 turnovers on 14 shots a game as doing good. I mean, his oRTG of 98 was the 18th best of anyone that put on a Nets jersey (ahead of Whitehead, James Webb, Milton Doyle & Sean Kilpatrick). His VORP was in the positives, though, a 50.9 TS when you have the green light and a usage of 30.8?

And yes, those four would have seen time on the Nets, especially Tyrone and Thornwell. Probably Jawun as well since they seem to be Atkinson type players.

I would much rather take Shai as opposed to deal it for Angelo, just to overpay in a year.
ejftw
General Manager

Post#719 » by ejftw » Mon May 14, 2018 4:57 pm

As far as Bradley goes, assuming he agrees to around $11M a year, would this be plausible?

Philly Out: Jerryd Bayless, Justin Anderson, #26, #38, Future SRP
Philly In: Avery Bradley

Atl Out: Imaginary 2nd, Rights to some player, TPE
Atl In: Jerryd Bayless, #26

LAC Out: Bradley
LAC In: Anderson, TPE, #36, Future SRP

End up getting a TPE, a 2nd for Hutchinson?, and a future second for a guy that might notbe on the radar to be back.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#720 » by TucsonClip » Mon May 14, 2018 8:26 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:Do you think LAC would trade Danillo + #12 + Harrell
For
Wes Matthews

What about for Wes Matthews + Jared Bayless?

I dont see any reason why we would give up a lottery pick to dump the last year of Gallo's contract. If anything, that trade gets made next summer, and we see how Gallo's rebuilds his value when healthy. Not to mention, we actually need him next season.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier

Return to Los Angeles Clippers