2017 Offseason Thread

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Re: 2017 Offseason Thread 

Post#581 » by esqtvd » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:37 pm

Read on Twitter

Poythress, who played the final six games of the 2016-17 regular season for the Sixers, including one start, averaged 12.3 points and 5.7 rebounds per game in the Utah Summer League. He opened with 11 points and eight rebounds against the Celtics on Monday and followed it up with 17 points and eight boards against the Jazz on Wednesday. Poythress scored nine points in 18 minutes on Thursday against the Spurs.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#582 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:27 pm

I don't want Kyrie at all. He's not worth blowing up our current roster and he doesn't make us that much better. It's annoying to see Clippers Twitter begging the front office to trade for him just because he's the shiny new toy on the shelves.

The prudent thing to do is be patient. Maybe LeBron finally gets fed up with the Cavs himself by the deadline and West swoops in and makes a blockbuster trade for him. Or another player who's better than Kyrie decides they want out of their current team and we can make a move for them. Or maybe none of that happens and we're "stuck" with an exciting and fun team to watch. No matter what, it sure beats blowing all our assets on a malcontent who's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. Anybody who's been a Clippers fan long enough should remember the Andre Miller trade before they beg for the 2017 equivalent of it.
Method28
Junior
And1: 356

Re: RE: Re: 2017 Offseason Thread 

Post#583 » by Method28 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:45 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:I don't want Kyrie at all. He's not worth blowing up our current roster and he doesn't make us that much better. It's annoying to see Clippers Twitter begging the front office to trade for him just because he's the shiny new toy on the shelves.

The prudent thing to do is be patient. Maybe LeBron finally gets fed up with the Cavs himself by the deadline and West swoops in and makes a blockbuster trade for him. Or another player who's better than Kyrie decides they want out of their current team and we can make a move for them. Or maybe none of that happens and we're "stuck" with an exciting and fun team to watch. No matter what, it sure beats blowing all our assets on a malcontent who's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. Anybody who's been a Clippers fan long enough should remember the Andre Miller trade before they beg for the 2017 equivalent of it.

I agree with you to an extent. Andre Miller was NEVER the level of player that Kyrie is. While id love Kyrie, i dont believe we have enough to trade for him anyways

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
All-Fav Team
PG: Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Ricky Rubio
SG: Marcus Thornton, Tony Allen
SF: Nick Batum, Luol Deng, Danillo Gallinari
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge, Blake Griffin
C: Demarcus Cousins, DeAndre Jordan
Cheerleader: Ryan Gomes
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#584 » by Neddy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:27 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:I don't want Kyrie at all. He's not worth blowing up our current roster and he doesn't make us that much better. It's annoying to see Clippers Twitter begging the front office to trade for him just because he's the shiny new toy on the shelves.

you mean, this Andre Miller?

yeah screw that guy.

now a third thing we have agreed on this month, or is it fourth? things are getting a little scary...
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

HoopsHype Interview with Jamal Crawford 

Post#585 » by Ranma » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:49 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

DJ and Durant Hanging Out at the Pool 

Post#586 » by Ranma » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:04 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
SCHeat
Pro Prospect
And1: 676

Post#587 » by SCHeat » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:23 pm

Kind of a random question here - does anyone know in Thornwell has actually signed his contract yet and if so, what are the terms on it?

I found a local newspaper article from a few days ago that said he had a 3-year deal waiting on him in LA, but nothing official yet.

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-mens-basketball/article162789128.html
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#588 » by Forte IV » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:57 pm

He was introduced with a bunch of our newly acquired guys so I'm assuming he's signed.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
JayClips92
Junior
And1: 147

Post#589 » by JayClips92 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:02 pm

SCHeat wrote:Kind of a random question here - does anyone know in Thornwell has actually signed his contract yet and if so, what are the terms on it?

I found a local newspaper article from a few days ago that said he had a 3-year deal waiting on him in LA, but nothing official yet.

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-mens-basketball/article162789128.html

He said he'll sign it when he's in LA on the 30th
Ranma
RealGM

Please No 

Post#590 » by Ranma » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:15 am

Read on Twitter

Haley O'Shaugnessy, TheRinger.com (7/24/17)
Los Angeles Clippers

The pattern the Clippers have fallen into year after year (unsuccessful postseason due to season-ending injury after unsuccessful postseason due to season-ending injury) appears ready to break after a hectic summer. Not because of health — the newly maxed Blake Griffin isn’t even guaranteed to be ready for the season — but because a playoff entry isn’t such a clear guarantee without Chris Paul. The Point God’s departure changed the structure of the team, making Los Angeles one of the few Western Conference squads without a star point guard.

Patrick Beverley will likely start in his place, with the only other options being Austin Rivers and Point Blake. Adding Irving would make the Clippers contenders again in this elevated Western Conference, though his on-court identity is much different from CP3’s. Irving is an injection of instant offense, but isn’t equipped to fill the passing ache that Paul leaves behind (though Doc Rivers seems convinced there will be more ball movement without him).

As for what the return could be for Cleveland, the Clippers have reportedly been shopping DeAndre Jordan this summer. That might appeal to the Cavs, who struggled to find an advantage on the boards in the playoffs (even with Tristan Thompson), and could use the defensive boost. Jordan’s contract could be up after this year, just like LeBron James’s; Kyrie has two years left before his player option kicks in. Whereas Cleveland might need to start rebuilding after this season, the Clippers need to find stability again after maxing Griffin until 2022.

Who Are the Dark-Horse Candidates to Snag Kyrie Irving?
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Please No 

Post#591 » by Neddy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:39 am

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Los Angeles Clippers

The pattern the Clippers have fallen into year after year (unsuccessful postseason due to season-ending injury after unsuccessful postseason due to season-ending injury) appears ready to break after a hectic summer. Not because of health — the newly maxed Blake Griffin isn’t even guaranteed to be ready for the season — but because a playoff entry isn’t such a clear guarantee without Chris Paul. The Point God’s departure changed the structure of the team, making Los Angeles one of the few Western Conference squads without a star point guard.

Patrick Beverley will likely start in his place, with the only other options being Austin Rivers and Point Blake. Adding Irving would make the Clippers contenders again in this elevated Western Conference, though his on-court identity is much different from CP3’s. Irving is an injection of instant offense, but isn’t equipped to fill the passing ache that Paul leaves behind (though Doc Rivers seems convinced there will be more ball movement without him).

As for what the return could be for Cleveland, the Clippers have reportedly been shopping DeAndre Jordan this summer. That might appeal to the Cavs, who struggled to find an advantage on the boards in the playoffs (even with Tristan Thompson), and could use the defensive boost. Jordan’s contract could be up after this year, just like LeBron James’s; Kyrie has two years left before his player option kicks in. Whereas Cleveland might need to start rebuilding after this season, the Clippers need to find stability again after maxing Griffin until 2022.

Who Are the Dark-Horse Candidates to Snag Kyrie Irving?

hold on, Ranma, if this deal is possible, it is not a bad deal at all!

salary wise, DJ for Kyrie straight up works. I have my doubts the Cavs take this deal, but DJ-Love-Lebron will give them undoubtedly the best front court in the game. it is feasible to think that Dan Gilbert, knowing he has only 1 year window to try to win it all again, and Kyrie already out the door, pull this trade to consummate.

look at it from our POV. DJ has 1 more season before he ops out for a full max. is DJ a Max player despite his help defense excellence? Willie Reed on the other hand, can be signed to 10 to 15 million a year for the next 4-5 years and Im sure as he matures, will give us at least 70% of DJ's defense while giving us 130% of what DJ gave us on the offensive end. if this assumption is a safe bet, why not also bet on Kyrie?

Kyrie - Beverly - Gallo - Blake - Reed starting 5 with Teo - Lou - Austin - Dekker - Brice - Harrell - Evans - Thornwell bench is not bad at all. in fact we are guaranteed to win at least 5 more games with Kyrie than with DJ.
ehhhhh f it.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 727

Please No 

Post#592 » by Captain Ballmer » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:11 am

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Please no??? How dare you? I have a long-lasting interest to see Kyrie in Clippers uniform. It was meant to be in 2011 if our GM was smart enough.

DieHardFan wrote:Only way i would be OK with that massive contract CP3 would get is that we sign-and-trade it to get a guy like Kyrie irving from Cavs.

Loosing him even without getting CP3 return would be a huge loss for Cavs. But if there is still a change to do that trade with DJ instead CP3 then... YOu DO IT.

2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
Ranma
RealGM

Explaining Myself 

Post#593 » by Ranma » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:12 pm

Neddy wrote:hold on, Ranma, if this deal is possible, it is not a bad deal at all!

salary wise, DJ for Kyrie straight up works. I have my doubts the Cavs take this deal, but DJ-Love-Lebron will give them undoubtedly the best front court in the game. it is feasible to think that Dan Gilbert, knowing he has only 1 year window to try to win it all again, and Kyrie already out the door, pull this trade to consummate.

look at it from our POV. DJ has 1 more season before he ops out for a full max. is DJ a Max player despite his help defense excellence? Willie Reed on the other hand, can be signed to 10 to 15 million a year for the next 4-5 years and Im sure as he matures, will give us at least 70% of DJ's defense while giving us 130% of what DJ gave us on the offensive end. if this assumption is a safe bet, why not also bet on Kyrie?

Kyrie - Beverly - Gallo - Blake - Reed starting 5 with Teo - Lou - Austin - Dekker - Brice - Harrell - Evans - Thornwell bench is not bad at all. in fact we are guaranteed to win at least 5 more games with Kyrie than with DJ.

My reluctance to trade for Irving is based on not wanting to be involved with him anymore. As a trade asset, I agree that he would be well worth it straight-up for DJ. I even said as much in the previous page of this post (see my quote at the bottom of this post). As you mentioned, however, the Cavaliers should do better, but your argument of a formidable frontcourt for Cleveland makes sense. I also agree that Reed (along with maybe Javale McGee) should be a suitable replacement while upgrading at a more needed backcourt position since I've said as much in my Gallinari trade proposal in a re-signed CP3-BG scenario.

I'm resisting the temptation to be onboard primarily because I don't want to kill our chances with LeBron when he becomes a free agent next summer as I genuinely believe that it will be down to us and the Lakers. Also, as I've said before, even if we miss out on LBJ, we still have local hometown boys Russell Westbrook and Paul George as options to pursue as well.

Obviously, a bird in the hand is worth two in a bush so getting Kyrie should be a no-brainer. Plus, we could always trade him if LeBron and/or Westbrook agree to sign with us as his trade value would still be higher than DJ right now. Speaking of which and as you said, it's doubtful that Cleveland would accept just DJ + filler for him, anyway, so I'd prefer not to get involved. I also still see our West-led pursuit of Klay Thompson in 2019 as likely as well.

Personally, I see the Suns as the front-runner in the Kyrie Irving derby. Eric Bledsoe would be a key piece along with possibly Josh Jackson. James is a fan of E-Bled's and Eric has even been referred to as "Mini-LeBron". I've even heard Jared Dudley might even appeal to Cleveland as a fit on the roster with LBJ.

Again, from a pure asset-value standpoint, trading DJ for Kyrie makes absolute sense. I just don't think it's realistic and I like what we have and where we're headed in anticipation of future FA pursuits as well as having other reservations, which I'll go over in my response below. If the FrankenWest (Frank 'n' West) front office were to somehow pull this off, you're not going to see me put up much of a protest outside of not wanting to keep Kyrie Irving long-term.

DieHardFan wrote:Please no??? How dare you? I have a long-lasting interest to see Kyrie in Clippers uniform. It was meant to be in 2011 if our GM was smart enough.

DieHardFan wrote:Only way i would be OK with that massive contract CP3 would get is that we sign-and-trade it to get a guy like Kyrie irving from Cavs.

Loosing him even without getting CP3 return would be a huge loss for Cavs. But if there is still a change to do that trade with DJ instead CP3 then... YOu DO IT.

LOL...that Ahnold image along with your comments were quite humorous. In any case, like I said in my response above, I've acknowledged how trading DJ for Irving would be absolutely worth it from a pure asset-value perspective. I've also noted why I'm reluctant to pursue him given the unlikelihood of Cleveland accepting such an offer as well as the Clippers' current trajectory with anticipated free-agent pursuits in the short-term.

Having said all that, I'll expand further why I don't want Kyrie Irving to be a Clipper. It's funny that you mentioned that you've had long-lasting interest in seeing Kyrie in a Clippers uniform as I used to feel the same way. I was actually a big fan of his even before he committed to Duke and wanted him to run the point for us in the past. However, with Chris Paul's arrival, that no longer was a priority but I was still a fan at the time.

However, things have changed in recent years and his trade request from the Cavaliers to no longer play with LeBron James really rubs me the wrong way. Now it's been argued that his request stems from the Cavs' dysfunctional franchise, which would be understandable, but he said specifically that he didn't want to play with LBJ and that he wanted to play a bigger role in carrying his own team.

To me that is both tremendously self-centered and delusional. I haven't always been LeBron's biggest fan, but he plays the game the way I want superstars to play it with his defense, playmaking, and versatility in making his teammates better. I had already possessed disdain for Kyrie's game even before his controversial trade request. While his scoring and shooting is impressive, his assists are not as high as I would like from a dominant point guard while his assist-to-turnover ratio is horrible, and his defense is utterly lacking.

This doesn't add up to being a player that gets the most from his teammates. Even with LeBron, Irving already had a high usage rate, but he just doesn't seem content to play in his shadow. He's more concerned with the limelight than he is with winning unless it is on his own terms. That's not a guy I want taking charge of the Clippers' offense when we're trying to build a winning culture with hard-working, tenacious players.

Kyrie Irving is certainly talented and he's definitely worth trading DJ and then some, but I want to build around winners. Getting a ring with LeBron doesn't really count if he hasn't been onboard with the team-first concept.

Ranma wrote:With all our recent acquisitions primarily not being able to be combined in trade until the end of August, we would theoretically only be able to offer Jordan in a straight-up swap or combine Rivers and W. Johnson in a package for an offer. I'm not saying I'm interested but if we could pull either deal off right now, I'd have to pull the trigger. Or, of course, we could just wait.

Read on Twitter

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Kyrie Irving is eligible for the Designated Player Veteran Extension (DPVE) in the summer of 2018 if he earned All-NBA during the 2017-18 season. The extension would be valued at five-years $219M. He would not be eligible for the same extension if he was traded but could sign (with the team traded to) a five-year $188M contract in 2019-20 when Irving would be a free agent. The current contract of Irving is $18.9M, $20.1M and a player option in 2019-20 for $21.3M. Irving also has a 15% trade bonus valued at $5.8M. The trade bonus would be equally ($2.9M) distributed over the 2017-18 and 2018-19 season if he were traded.

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Clippers Under the Luxury Tax Threshold 

Post#594 » by Ranma » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:10 pm

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: Clippers Under the Luxury Tax Threshold 

Post#595 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:20 pm

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

One of the things Ballmer seemed to stress in his interview with Woj.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,176

Post#596 » by og15 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:55 am

Good stuff, no need to be paying tax at the moment, and want to avoid the repeater tax too. The future will bring situations where going into tax again is needed, so save it.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 727

Re: Explaining Myself 

Post#597 » by Captain Ballmer » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:41 am

Ranma wrote:I haven't always been LeBron's biggest fan, but he plays the game the way I want superstars to play it with his defense, playmaking, and versatility in making his teammates better. I had already possessed disdain for Kyrie's game even before his controversial trade request. While his scoring and shooting is impressive, his assists are not as high as I would like from a dominant point guard while his assist-to-turnover ratio is horrible, and his defense is utterly lacking.

That statment in bald part is already representing the most important assetts of today's NBA and when you take those assets to the center of the consideration, Kyrie is among the top 3 Guard on scoring and shooting.(Along with Curry-Harden). Kyrie is like having Jamal's handles, Austin's finishing and JJ's shooting abilities comes together on the same player. You don't need anyone else. Combine him with a Beverley and his lack of defense wouldn't hurt you as much as S.Curry does to warriors.

Another thing is, I agree that Kyrie's playmaking ability is insufficient but that isn't a major problem as long as we have guys make plays like Gallo-Griffin-Beverley-Teo along with him.

Also having Kyrie-BG together for 2018 FA has a strong case against LBJ+Lakers for possible Paul George pitch while only BG-DJ hasn't. In conclusion, I think Kyrie would be a great piece and must catch if possibility appears.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,296

Post#598 » by nickhx2 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:34 am

your curry analogy makes no sense at all to me
Ranma
RealGM

Rumored Rift 2 Years Ago 

Post#599 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:49 am

DieHardFan wrote:Please no??? How dare you? I have a long-lasting interest to see Kyrie in Clippers uniform. It was meant to be in 2011 if our GM was smart enough.

Read on Twitter
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#600 » by mkwest » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:06 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Clippers