less than the sum of his numbers
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Re: Chris Paul to the Rockets 

Post#382 » by wco81 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:28 am

Injured again.

Suffers first loss in a game he played for the Rockets.

To the Lakers, of all teams.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,805

Post#383 » by esqtvd » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:38 pm

we were screwed no matter what, it seems

the end of an era is the end
wco81
RealGM

Post#384 » by wco81 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:27 pm

Looks like first time Clippers and Rockets are playing against each other, both Blake and CP3 won't be playing.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,807

Re: RE: Re: Chris Paul to the Rockets 

Post#385 » by og15 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:13 pm

esqtvd wrote:it's a players' league now
CP wanted Vinny out, so out he went
coaches cannot impose their will

sometimes the blend won't work
OKC is a hot mess
less than the sum of its parts

I'm not sure Blake is a winner, even at his best
could be more a Melo
Doc had a better position being a respected coach unlike VDN, and also being both the coach and President of Basketball ops means you can't go over his head, and he can trade you / have you traded if you don't fall in line (Dudley, Barnes, Stephenson, etc). He certainly had a much more influencial position than most coaches, but a coach can only do so much, and Doc isn't really like a Pop in terms of personality.

The bad losses and constant injuries just wore on the players. People trying to make more of it just want drama or don't like this or that player. We started the off-season with Paul being a terror to his teammates and no one liking him, and after that dust settled, months later almost everyone liked him, he talks to most of them, and almost had two come play with him. Obviously both those things can't be true, but if your stars aren't in tune, and you aren't winning, it's hard. Paul and BG don't hate each other but they don't love each other either, it was a lot of indifference, like "yea, I don't mind still playing with him", and in Paul's case, "but I'd like to find a better partner".

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#386 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:38 pm

wco81 wrote:Looks like first time Clippers and Rockets are playing against each other, both Blake and CP3 won't be playing.

Gee, what were the chances??? \_(ツ)_/
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#387 » by esqtvd » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:06 pm

og15 wrote:

OKC is a hot mess

could be more a Melo
Doc had a better position being a respected coach unlike VDN, and also being both the coach and President of Basketball ops means you can't go over his head, and he can trade you / have you traded if you don't fall in line (Dudley, Barnes, Stephenson, etc). He certainly had a much more influencial position than most coaches, but a coach can only do so much, and Doc isn't really like a Pop in terms of personality.

The bad losses and constant injuries just wore on the players. People trying to make more of it just want drama or don't like this or that player. We started the off-season with Paul being a terror to his teammates and no one liking him, and after that dust settled, months later almost everyone liked him, he talks to most of them, and almost had two come play with him. Obviously both those things can't be true, but if your stars aren't in tune, and you aren't winning, it's hard. Paul and BG don't hate each other but they don't love each other either, it was a lot of indifference, like "yea, I don't mind still playing with him", and in Paul's case, "but I'd like to find a better partner".

Yup, he traded Blake for Harden. So would I, so would you. :wink: Once he realized he didn't want to play with Blake, everything became clear.

But no, Doc had no leverage to make CP change his style of play. CP ruled the roost. If CP went to Ballmer with a "him or me" demand, Doc would have been outside looking in. [The same was probably true of Blake.]
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,807

Post#388 » by og15 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:31 pm

esqtvd wrote:
og15 wrote:

OKC is a hot mess

could be more a Melo

Yup, he traded Blake for Harden. So would I, so would you. :wink: Once he realized he didn't want to play with Blake, everything became clear.

But no, Doc had no leverage to make CP change his style of play. CP ruled the roost. If CP went to Ballmer with a "him or me" demand, Doc would have been outside looking in. [The same was probably true of Blake.]
Yea, like I said, I'm not criticizing him, I mean Harden is healthier and better than Griffin, I would choose him too, as well as choosing a team with better supporting pieces, it's not really a hard choice, so I get it.

I don't know if Doc truly wanted CP to change his style of play. Sure, ideally, there was the playing faster, but the Rockets accomplish playing faster not by sprinting down the court every possession, but by running quick hit offense in a more secondary break, early offense style. We had plays that took some time to set up with Redick, just adding all those extra seconds to develop plays over a game and that bumps up the Clippers pace. Still, in our two healthy playoffs, we were 1st or 2nd in pace during the post-season anyway.

Doc isn't dumb, even though many seem to think he is. He almost has to spin it like he was forced to heavily use Paul, and was now released from his stronghold, but he also used Rondo the same way in Boston, and we were basically using Blake that way this season after Milos went down. We just didn't have the playmakers to have an offense where multiple guys are creating.
wco81
RealGM

Post#389 » by wco81 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:39 am

Regardless of how well Houston's season turns out, if CP3 ends up more hobbled by injuries, I wonder how much Houston would pay to retain him.

If he played every regular season game from now to the end of the season, he'd play 68 games. Then he'll be 33 at the end of the season.

Is Houston really going to give him a 5-year, $200 million deal? Or will they offer something more along the lines of what Lowry got, 3 years, around $100 million? CP3 may be more in demand than Lowry was this past offseason but again, he will be 33.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

I Say Nay 

Post#390 » by Ranma » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:52 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#391 » by esqtvd » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:06 am

At some point years from now I'll get all misty-eyed about CP3 and our rather modest "golden age," maybe even go see his number retired.

But tonight we're playing the Rockets and all I want to do is kick his ass.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#392 » by nickhx2 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:14 am

sure
Ranma
RealGM

MLK Game Day Tribute 

Post#393 » by Ranma » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:41 am

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#394 » by esqtvd » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:46 am

Clippers 113 Rockets 102

BG: 29 points, 10 rebs 6 assists
Lou: 31 pts, 3 rebs, 9 assists

CP: 19 points, 6 rebs, 7 assists

I'm good :naaa:
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#395 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:45 pm

Only 19 points against a team full of late-round rookies and D-League call-ups. If that was Westbrook in this situation, he'd have dropped 50. CP3 is not a guy you can give a max contract to and expect to win championships.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#396 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:52 pm

Neither is Westbrick.

But eff retiring his number....especially after last night.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

CP3 Asked for It 

Post#397 » by Ranma » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:30 am

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#398 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:38 pm

He's nuts
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
wco81
RealGM

Post#399 » by wco81 » Tue May 29, 2018 5:13 am

Still very effective player, especially some of the shots he made. Otherwise, Rockets may not have won games 4 and 5.

But he's 33 now and came off a season in which he played 58 games in the regular season and 15 games in the playoffs before being injured again.

It's unlikely he can play over 30 minutes a game like he did this year and avoid injury. Maybe one way to reduce injury risk is to reduce his role and his minutes.

But do you give a 33-year old a $200 million extension? Even if he didn't have a history of injury?
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#400 » by Vae Victus » Tue May 29, 2018 6:20 am

If that 33 year old was named Lebron James and is built like the Terminator and never breaks down. Absolutely!

But for a midget who's clearly physically declining and likely will never play big mins due to fear of injury.

Looks like CP3 just played himself. No way in hell is HOU gonna give him that old man mega max he wanted.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers