Gary Sacks Parts Ways With Clippers 

Post#1 » by mkwest » Tue Jul 4, 2017 2:31 pm

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Writing on the Wall 

Post#2 » by Ranma » Tue Jul 4, 2017 6:00 pm

This is an obvious move for Sacks to save face. His contract already expired and I'm sure the organization let him know in no uncertain terms that he wasn't being brought back after the 4th of July holiday. He's been with us since the days of Elgin Baylor and unlikely contributed much of anything with Doc, Frank, and West already heavily involved in the decision-making. Hopefully, this means that a spot is now open for Jerry's son Ryan West and/or David Griffin to join the organization if the Knicks pass on the former Cavs GM for whatever reason.

Now if we can start to push out Doc's cronies that'd be great, but I'm sure they, like Doc, have 2 years remaining on their respective contracts. Our best hope is that we actually recruit 2 high-profile free agents next year and they demand that Doc is no longer with the organization. It'd make it easier for Ballmer to eat the $10-million due for the last year of Doc's deal plus whatever is owed to his cronies. It's another unlikely wish-fulfillment scenario given that Doc will be involved in the recruiting but still a nice dream to hold onto.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Re: Gary Sacks Parts Ways With Clippers 

Post#3 » by nickhx2 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 6:16 pm

wonder what doc's gonna do now that he can't accuse sacks of being the GM making the moves
Ranma
RealGM

Wohl There 

Post#4 » by Ranma » Tue Jul 4, 2017 6:35 pm

I know it's a joke, but Dave Wohl is actually the GM while Gary Sacks was one of the assistant GMs with Gerald Madkins being the other. Wohl is a noted crony for Doc. I wonder if Ballmer will just absorb Sacks's old position as I don't think most organizations have multiple assistant GM positions.

It's also worth noting that according to Wikipedia, Sacks was vice president of basketball operations with Madkins reporting to him as director of basketball operations. I recall Sacks being demoted to apparently the assistant GM position. In any case, Wikipedia states that Madkins was named director of scouting as part of Doc's restructuring upon his elevation from senior vice president to president of basketball operations. Madkins then was promoted to assistant GM, the same position as his previous supervisor, before Sacks resigned. Seems like Madkins has been a fast riser within the organization.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#5 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Tue Jul 4, 2017 6:50 pm

Makes sense that we didn't renew his contract. With the help of Jerry West we don't need Sacks anymore. We probably didn't need him last year either when Doc restructured the front office.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
Ranma
RealGM

Old Article in Tribute to Gary Sacks 

Post#6 » by Ranma » Tue Jul 4, 2017 11:35 pm

Ramona Shelburne, ESPN (9/29/13)
Guys who run teams with aspirations of winning an NBA title like the Los Angeles Clippers don’t start off as baseball players who get their first break in basketball by answering an ad for a marketing job in the newspaper.

“From Day 1, I realized how fortunate I was to work for the Clippers and I didn’t want to lose it,” Sacks said over a long dinner this summer. “So I was going to do whatever it took to show everyone that I’m loyal, and that I would earn my keep.”

“Whenever I talk about Gary, and there are a few other guys in this industry, without naming names, who’ve kind of carved their own niche in this business but by conventional standards have like no means to have done so,” Weltman said. “But they’ve carved themselves a really important niche in this league where people rely on them and care what they think, and they’ve done it because they have supreme intelligence and supreme passion for the game. That’s Gary. He’d loved the game and been a fan and all of a sudden lucked out with this internship and finds himself with his foot in the door.

“I loved having him around because he was such a sponge. He was so smart and insightful. He just had so much potential and ability and he worked his butt off.”

In order to land Rivers, Sacks had to swallow his ego and give Rivers the title of senior vice president of player personnel, one rung up the ladder from Sacks’ title.

“My thing is, if we win, and it helps us win, I’m all for it,” Sacks said. “There’s always going to be a thought of what it’s going to be like, but it’s been great because Doc’s made it easy. He’s great to work with. I’m not just saying that. He’s been very, very, very supportive of me. Willing to listen and work with me. What more can I ask for? The guy’s been there, he knows how to win. For me, it’s like I’m getting the benefit of getting his expertise. Why wouldn’t I embrace that?”

Gary Sacks' Unlikely Rise to Top
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,807

Re: RE: Re: Gary Sacks Parts Ways With Clippers 

Post#7 » by og15 » Wed Jul 5, 2017 4:39 am

nickhx2 wrote:wonder what doc's gonna do now that he can't accuse sacks of being the GM making the moves

That's been Frank since last season when Doc is asked
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#8 » by nickhx2 » Wed Jul 5, 2017 5:14 am

god guys I know I just wanted to say something snarky

gosh!!
Ranma
RealGM

PSA for Those Not in the Know 

Post#9 » by Ranma » Wed Jul 5, 2017 5:31 am

nickhx2 wrote:god guys I know I just wanted to say something snarky

gosh!!

Hey, man. We love your snark, especially those directed at Doc. Your remark (see below) about trading Houston's first-rounder in the Gallinari trade still brings a smile to my face. We're just doing a public service for those who happen to not know any better.

nickhx2 wrote:goodbye, first round pick

just kidding you were never welcome around here, git out
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#10 » by nickhx2 » Wed Jul 5, 2017 6:50 pm

hah thanks

but in all honestly i totally forgot sacks existed
Ranma
RealGM

Another Assistant GM Bites the Dust 

Post#11 » by Ranma » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:58 pm

With the departure of Madkins about 2 weeks after the official resignation of Sacks, that now leaves the Clippers without an assistant general manager after both occupied such a position for the past few years. Does this mean the position will be absorbed and no longer exist or does this open the door for Ryan West, whom we haven't heard any more talk about joining the organization after initially being anticipated to join his father prior to Jerry West's press conference?

Read on Twitter
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#12 » by mkwest » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:25 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Madkins came in from New Orleans following CP3's first season here. Both out in the same summer...
Best wishes to him in New York.
Ranma
RealGM

Ugh...Drain the Swamp Already 

Post#13 » by Ranma » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:11 am

Enough with Doc's relatives and cronies. We are trying to drain the swamp. If we're going to employ cronyism or nepotism, at least go after qualified and highly thought of people like Jerry's son Ryan West. I'm not exactly thrilled at the prospects of another Doc crony who's worked behind-the-scenes with Dolan's dysfunctional Knicks.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Lawrence Frank Taking the Lead? 

Post#14 » by Ranma » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:58 pm

I meant to talk about this earlier but I'll take this opportunity to discuss Lawrence Frank as our GM as executive vice president of basketball operations. A few of us have openly wondered who has been responsible for our turnaround this off-season with regards to trades and the draft.

Many including myself attributed it to Jerry West's arrival, but taking a step back, is it really realistic for him to have influence on such drastic changes in front office approach in such a short time? He was only on the job for just over a week when the draft selections and Chris Paul trade were made. Personally, I think his input certainly had a beneficial effect even in the short time in his official capacity as consultant with the organization.

However, I want to point out that Josh Martin of Bleacher Report and Eric Pincus of Basketball Insiders made reference in their Hollywood Hoops podcast that Lawrence Frank has been a fast-riser in the organization since his ascension in the front office. He was noted as being the lead in the trade with Houston in getting a nice haul in return for Paul's departure.

While I give Frank credit for his efforts for devoting resources to improving our pre-draft process and draft evaluation methods,
it definitely seemed like he was learning on the fly after Doc passed on the responsibilities to him. Frank has even admitted as much when he said that he's enjoying his new experience in a GM role and not looking to return back to coaching. Further, like Jeff Weltman before him, I'm sure Frank was handling the day-to-day operations in the front office while also laying groundwork for future deals including the Paul trade to happen in smooth fashion.

Given that West has acknowledged that he's still an avid follower of the game with an abundance of energy, it's not a stretch to think he's had opinions on draft prospects including Jawun Evans and Sindarius Thornwell. Obviously, this also applies to his input on players already in the NBA as well.

Still, given his age and role, he's not expected to endure the rigorous travel schedule required for finding and evaluating young talent in the college, high school, and even junior high ranks. Ballmer is paying for his experience and evaluation acumen even if it is applied in a more limited fashion.

This is why a lot of us have been hoping and anticipating that West's son Ryan would eventually join the Clippers. There seems to be opening(s) in the front office with the departures of Gary Sacks and Gerald Madkins along with the reported interviews with Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Mark Hughes.

In light of Frank's elevation as point man in the Clippers' restructured front office and his working relationship with Doc, it seems doubtful that Ryan West will join the organization at this time. For better or worse, Frank & Doc have a close working relationship since Doc was the one who put him in position to take over, so Doc's input still can't be discounted too much.

The difference now is that we have Jerry West to provide a counterbalance and Frank will be judged on results and progress moving forward. Obviously, a lot of that will be dependent on how Doc chooses to develop and play the talent presented to him,
but Frank's current role should have increased accountability that should hopefully push him to exercise more independent thinking. After all, if things go south, he'll be among the first in line to be blamed as the scapegoat by fans, Ballmer, the media, and possibly Doc himself.

I'm still waiting to see how things play out before I can fully assess Frank, but it will be a key moment when the Clippers fill the front office vacancy that is apparently being addressed. If we go with Hughes--another one of Doc's cronies--it will a bad sign to me, but if we bring Abdur-Rahim and/or Ryan West into the fold, it will provide further encouragement that the organization is moving in the right direction.

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Clippers