ImageImageImageImageImage

Milos Teodosic signs 2year/12.3mil deal

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,549

Re: Milos Teodosic signs 2year/12.3mil deal 

Post#81 » by Alatan » Sat Jul 8, 2017 7:20 pm

nickhx2 wrote:so i have a question for anyone who might know. how did the spurs not get in on this guy? he seems like exactly the type of guy they'd go after. did they not have interest?

Was wondering the same thing... He would fit perfectly. Kawai and Green making up for his lack of defense, and Teo giving everyone easy buckets.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#82 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Jul 8, 2017 7:24 pm

Neddy wrote:doubt Milos would want to live in San Antonio tho. coming to LA with familiar faces around like Beverly, and having pick and roll partners galore in all 3 front court players, probably played a big factor.

IDK... the Spurs have had plenty of international players come through over the years and they seem to love it there. I do agree that Beverley's presence here probably worked in our favor. I'd love to see us dump Doc (obviously) and bring in Itoudis from CSKA - then Teo would also have his old coach around to help him adjust to the NBA.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#83 » by Neddy » Sat Jul 8, 2017 8:21 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
Neddy wrote:doubt Milos would want to live in San Antonio tho. coming to LA with familiar faces around like Beverly, and having pick and roll partners galore in all 3 front court players, probably played a big factor.

IDK... the Spurs have had plenty of international players come through over the years and they seem to love it there. I do agree that Beverley's presence here probably worked in our favor. I'd love to see us dump Doc (obviously) and bring in Itoudis from CSKA - then Teo would also have his old coach around to help him adjust to the NBA.

I think that's a stretch... who is the last Euro league coach to make it in NBA? I give you credit for starting this "fire Doc" campaign before anyone else, but I would look within US borders for our next head coach.
ehhhhh f it.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#84 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Jul 8, 2017 8:43 pm

Neddy wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

I think that's a stretch... who is the last Euro league coach to make it in NBA? I give you credit for starting this "fire Doc" campaign before anyone else, but I would look within US borders for our next head coach.

How often has it been tried? Blatt didn't work out, but the Cavs hired him for a completely different direction than the one they ended up going in and he struggled to earn the respect of the team. Ettore Messina has been thought of highly as an NBA head coaching candidate for a while now, and could very well end up being Pop's successor in San Antonio.

Itoudis is also highly regarded in NBA circles and there's been speculation for a while now that he might try his hand at coaching in the NBA eventually.

The Greek-born Itoudis, 44, has 13 years of experience as an associate head coach to Obradovic. He helped Panathinaikos win five Euroleague championships and 18 Greek titles. Earlier this week, he led CSKA to the VTB League championship with a record-breaking 9-0 record in the playoffs.

There are plenty of basketball people endorsing Itoudis as a potential NBA coach. A Nets scout wrote his name on a short list of potential NBA coaches, and former players rave about his coaching acumen.

"Itoudis is one of top coaches in Europe and the best I've ever had," said Aaron Jackson, who played at Duquesne University and in the NBA Summer League before heading to Europe, where he suited up for Messina and Itoudis.

"He's always open to learning from his players. He can call a play, but if we change it, he will say, 'Cool, thanks. I'm learning from you guys, too.' Next day he adjusts and brings what we taught him to practice. His door is open 24/7."

"Itoudis doesn't dictate the team," said former NBA wingman and Euroleague star Sonny Weems. "He understands how and what players are thinking. He could come into the room and talk to us for hours about anything. That's what got us the best record in Europe and a 15-0 start, and that's the reason we were at the Final Four. I'm more comfortable with Itoudis than Messina because he believes in me."

Itoudis spoke to Bleacher Report regarding the possibility of making the jump to the NBA.

"I'm realistic, so it's not about dreams, for me," Itoudis said. "We've built something special at CSKA, and I don't know for certain what the future holds. The NBA is the best organization in the world, and I was fortunate to work multiple times with the Pistons and Sixers. I have a lot of friends in the NBA."

Itoudis' coaching philosophy aligns with the new breed of NBA coaches, where talent management has as much to do with listening as it does preaching.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2493427-european-hoops-notebook-who-will-be-the-next-david-blatt-to-descend-on-the-nba

He sounds like the complete opposite of Doc: creative, flexible, and willing to believe in the players he has. He might not be the guy, but he's the type of coach that would fit the Clippers' new direction, IMO.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#85 » by esqtvd » Sun Jul 9, 2017 2:36 am

PerkinsFor3 wrote:
Neddy wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Your English is better than many Americans'! Plus we're not that picky, especially in Los Angeles with people from every country on earth!

So welcome! Write as much as you want. Basketball is an international language. :rockon:

since when you speak for us in this forum?

with all your 21 posts since june 23rd?? that was Nick welcoming him, not you. don't try to take credit where it is not due. I see how you are targeting one of our regulars, don't think it escapes us the old timers around here.

2012? psh, newbie

heh heh
pleasure to meetcha, O retired mod
I see I shook some trees around here
thx for the back

FTR, I was welcoming the Euro-brother on behalf of Los Angeles
The LA Clippers in particular
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,956

Post#86 » by ejftw » Sun Jul 9, 2017 7:18 am

All I have to say is the last time we had a Sjrbian PG, it worked out well.

He landed us Sam Cassell and a first. That first played a key part in getting Paul.
Sir Psycho Sexy
Senior
And1: 502

Post#87 » by Sir Psycho Sexy » Sun Jul 9, 2017 4:08 pm

ejftw wrote:All I have to say is the last time we had a Sjrbian PG, it worked out well.

He landed us Sam Cassell and a first. That first played a key part in getting Paul.

I googled to see who was drafted by that pick and it's Rivers. I don't remember when was the last time someone traded pick that far in the future (Brooklyn?) trade was in 2005 and pick is from 2012
Neddy
RealGM

Post#88 » by Neddy » Sun Jul 9, 2017 5:20 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
Neddy wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:IDK... the Spurs have had plenty of international players come through over the years and they seem to love it there. I do agree that Beverley's presence here probably worked in our favor. I'd love to see us dump Doc (obviously) and bring in Itoudis from CSKA - then Teo would also have his old coach around to help him adjust to the NBA.

How often has it been tried? Blatt didn't work out, but the Cavs hired him for a completely different direction than the one they ended up going in and he struggled to earn the respect of the team. Ettore Messina has been thought of highly as an NBA head coaching candidate for a while now, and could very well end up being Pop's successor in San Antonio.

Itoudis is also highly regarded in NBA circles and there's been speculation for a while now that he might try his hand at coaching in the NBA eventually.

The Greek-born Itoudis, 44, has 13 years of experience as an associate head coach to Obradovic. He helped Panathinaikos win five Euroleague championships and 18 Greek titles. Earlier this week, he led CSKA to the VTB League championship with a record-breaking 9-0 record in the playoffs.

There are plenty of basketball people endorsing Itoudis as a potential NBA coach. A Nets scout wrote his name on a short list of potential NBA coaches, and former players rave about his coaching acumen.

"Itoudis is one of top coaches in Europe and the best I've ever had," said Aaron Jackson, who played at Duquesne University and in the NBA Summer League before heading to Europe, where he suited up for Messina and Itoudis.

"He's always open to learning from his players. He can call a play, but if we change it, he will say, 'Cool, thanks. I'm learning from you guys, too.' Next day he adjusts and brings what we taught him to practice. His door is open 24/7."

"Itoudis doesn't dictate the team," said former NBA wingman and Euroleague star Sonny Weems. "He understands how and what players are thinking. He could come into the room and talk to us for hours about anything. That's what got us the best record in Europe and a 15-0 start, and that's the reason we were at the Final Four. I'm more comfortable with Itoudis than Messina because he believes in me."

Itoudis spoke to Bleacher Report regarding the possibility of making the jump to the NBA.

"I'm realistic, so it's not about dreams, for me," Itoudis said. "We've built something special at CSKA, and I don't know for certain what the future holds. The NBA is the best organization in the world, and I was fortunate to work multiple times with the Pistons and Sixers. I have a lot of friends in the NBA."

Itoudis' coaching philosophy aligns with the new breed of NBA coaches, where talent management has as much to do with listening as it does preaching.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2493427-european-hoops-notebook-who-will-be-the-next-david-blatt-to-descend-on-the-nba

He sounds like the complete opposite of Doc: creative, flexible, and willing to believe in the players he has. He might not be the guy, but he's the type of coach that would fit the Clippers' new direction, IMO.

yeah well I am not denying any validity and merits of Euro coaches. I am saying with the amount of $$$ Steve has invested into, and after having made Doc be the highest paid coach/executive, if Ballmer ever eventually fire Doc, he will want legitimacy and authority with the next hire, going euro, will seem like a major step back and ESPN will have a field day of us tanking. not that I am against tanking, just stating going out of the box when it comes to basketball operation hire, is a part of Steve's algorithm. business side, yes. but not the game itself. again, not saying it is right or wrong, but unlikely.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#89 » by Neddy » Sun Jul 9, 2017 5:26 pm

Sir Psycho Sexy wrote:
ejftw wrote:All I have to say is the last time we had a Sjrbian PG, it worked out well.

I googled to see who was drafted by that pick and it's Rivers. I don't remember when was the last time someone traded pick that far in the future (Brooklyn?) trade was in 2005 and pick is from 2012

I don't miss Marko, but MDSr was a good coach. just as doc, GM/HC combo is not a good idea for anyone but that team MDSr built after that trade to run out Sam/Cat/Corey/Brand/Kaman/TimThomas was a great 6 men group this team ever had up to that point.
ehhhhh f it.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#90 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Jul 9, 2017 6:25 pm

Neddy wrote:yeah well I am not denying any validity and merits of Euro coaches. I am saying with the amount of $$$ Steve has invested into, and after having made Doc be the highest paid coach/executive, if Ballmer ever eventually fire Doc, he will want legitimacy and authority with the next hire, going euro, will seem like a major step back and ESPN will have a field day of us tanking. not that I am against tanking, just stating going out of the box when it comes to basketball operation hire, is a part of Steve's algorithm. business side, yes. but not the game itself. again, not saying it is right or wrong, but unlikely.

Don't forget, though, we have Jerry West now. He grants instant credibility. Before West, making a risky coaching hire would indeed cause the media to have a field day. With West on board, not as much.

I remember when West's Warriors hired Kerr. I thought they were crazy for hiring another broadcaster with no coaching experience when they had just fired Mark Jackson. Two rings and three trips to the Finals later, they don't look crazy anymore.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

ESPN Deportes Video 

Post#91 » by Ranma » Sun Jul 9, 2017 9:26 pm

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
EuropeanBball
Sophomore
And1: 77

Post#92 » by EuropeanBball » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:00 pm

Read on Twitter
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#93 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:25 pm

Read on Twitter
kololoco
Sophomore
And1: 241

Post#94 » by kololoco » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:35 pm

Interesting thing is Teodosic got married a month ago to a successful, young, ambitious Serbian actress. They were in a relationship just 6 months before the wedding. In Serbia there are reports that he had better financial offers, and I talked to a guy who knows many famous Serbian players (but not Milos) and they told him the same thing. So I have little doubt that the reason for coming to LA has to do at least in part to wanting to be close to Hollywood for his wife. Which I can't blame him for.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#95 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:54 pm

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Fraschilla and Krzyzewski's Quotes on Teodosic 

Post#96 » by Ranma » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:38 am

I've cited the Coach K quote previously in this thread, but a more complete one notes Krzyzewski referring to Milos Teodosic as a friend. Likewise, Quin Snyder, another coach, refers to him in a similarly familiar tone. It seems like coaches and Teodosic can relate to each other in the intellectual way they think the game. Interestingly, Utah assistant coach Igor Kokoskov was also cited as a connection to Teodosic given their respective Serbian roots. I'm a fan of Kokoskov's since his time with the Clippers when he was noted for his skill-development acumen.

It's also noteworthy that the Jazz were considered the leading candidate for Teodosic's services at one point before Jerry West (we know Doc prefers NBA vets like Rondo and Rose over untested Euros) sealed the deal. With Utah eventually trading for Ricky Rubio, I'm curious which of the two passing artists was the preferred choice.

Fran Fraschilla certainly doesn't mince words in praising Teodosic's passing genius while at the same time panning his defense.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jody Genessy, Desert News (6/26/17)
“I think Teo can do about anything he wants on the basketball court. He might be the best passer in the world,” Snyder told a European reporter in 2014. “He knows I think that about him, too, because we used to talk about that all the time.”

"Offensively, he's the best passer in the world, from a purely offensive standpoint," ESPN analyst Fran Fraschilla said a month ago. "Chris Paul is a Hall of Famer, but as far as a pure passer, Teodosic might be the most creative passer in the world today. Now, he will not guard a chair, but he's a brilliant offensive player and an ultra-competitor."

The Jazz have one more connection to Teodosic other than Snyder. Assistant coach Igor Kokoskov also hails from Serbia.

Are the Jazz Signing Serbian Guard Milos Teodosic?

EuroHoops.net (8/12/16)
And coach Mike Krzyzewski spoke highly of his opponents in Rio before the game: “Serbia is one of the top international teams. We played them in the World Cup two years ago for the championship. They’re unbelievably well coached; they’ve been together; in (Milos) Teodosic you have one of the great guards in the last decade in Europe; in (Bogdan) Bogdanovic they have one of the great shooters; and (Miroslav) Raduljica is one of the best big men. Then they are tall and deep and they’ll be huge challenge for us and we respect the heck out of them”.

Coach K: “Teodosic, Bogdanovic and Raduljica Among the Best”

Tom Withers, Associated Press (8/20/16)
"As good of a player, and as good of a guard, as there is in Europe," U.S. coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "I love him. We're friends."

Smooth Operator: Serbian Guard Teodosic Has NBA-Ready Game
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Clips Nation Scouting Report 

Post#97 » by Ranma » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:51 am

Read on Twitter
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#98 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:59 pm

Here's an odd historical coincidence: in 2000, the Clippers became the first NBA team to hire a non-American assistant coach. The coach in question - Igor Kokoskov - just so happened to be Serbian!

https://www.si.com/vault/2001/02/05/296672/blazing-a-transatlantic-trail-the-clippers-igor-kokoskov-is-the-first-non-american-coach-in-the-nba
Ranma
RealGM

Strange Contract Clause 

Post#99 » by Ranma » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:29 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#100 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:43 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Clippers