ImageImageImageImageImage

Clips sign Willie Reed 1.5mil/1 year

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Clips sign Willie Reed 1.5mil/1 year 

Post#61 » by Neddy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:14 am

regardless of the hijacking of this thread previously, you have go to love the possibility that DJ is a trade bait for a equal or better overall player at other positions and Reed can seamlessly step in. I don't think he is enough to get Kyrie, but the fact that we have an option to trade, and still have someone behind to fill the void, is exciting.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

DJ Backup and Hopefully Eventual Replacement 

Post#62 » by Ranma » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:32 pm

Yeah, I've been a proponent of trading DJ particularly because I did not want to commit to him long-term. I really hope we can find a deal for him by the trade deadline. At the same time, the likelihood of him opting out could provide us with salary cap flexibility, especially if he pulls a CP3 and opts in in order to facilitate a trade to where he wants to play. Even if he opts in before then, we should be able to deal him for something even if only to clear cap space.

Playing understudy to DJ should help Reed be familiar with our offense before he has to take over full-time starter duties, but if he turns out to be our long-term center, it would cost us more if Reed were to start right away, so it may actually help if DJ is kept for the season. Plus, it would allow us to see how our current players fit together with so many newcomers on the roster.

Trading DJ to solidify our shooting guard spot would be ideal but nothing looks to be available on that front.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Welcome to Willie 

Post#63 » by Ranma » Thu Aug 3, 2017 8:18 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,976

Post#64 » by PerkinsFor3 » Sun Aug 6, 2017 12:05 pm

Former Heat backup center Willie Reed arrested on domestic violence charge
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nba/miami-heat/article165727822.html

Wonder if he injured his hand.
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,302

Post#65 » by Dynamix » Sun Aug 6, 2017 1:41 pm

Looks like Miami has a bad influence on him. Should've moved to LA sooner.
Ranma
RealGM

Reed Released from Jail 

Post#66 » by Ranma » Sun Aug 6, 2017 6:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#67 » by TucsonClip » Sun Aug 6, 2017 7:43 pm

Well thats not a good start...
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,079

Some Notes From The Washington Post 

Post#68 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sun Aug 6, 2017 8:02 pm

(https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/08/06/clippers-center-arrested-could-be-first-case-under-nbas-new-domestic-violence-policy/)

Cindy Boren wrote:The arrest appears to be the first under the NBA’s new policy on domestic violence.

A policy on domestic violence was a significant part of the collective bargaining agreement reached by the NBA and the National Basketball Players Association last December. It took effect last month and Reed’s case would be the first covered by it. The policy applies to domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse.

Under the CBA, the NBA has the power to investigate domestic violence incidents and to punish players, subject to challenge from the players’ union, regardless of whether criminal charges have been resolved. It also emphasizes prevention, with counseling, seminars and a 24-7 hotline. A policy committee of NBA and union representatives as well as independent experts is to supervise players who have been subject to discipline or convicted. The commissioner also has the power to place players on paid leave while an investigation is underway.

This means Willie Reed could be waived at the commissioner's request.

Clippers will have to find a replacement. Who should they go after if Reed's contract is void?
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#69 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Aug 6, 2017 9:23 pm

Hopefully we can at least sign someone like Jeff Withey or Tiago Splitter. We need a backup center and I doubt Reed will be playing for us after this.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,385

Post#70 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Aug 6, 2017 9:41 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:Hopefully we can at least sign someone like Jeff Withey or Tiago Splitter. We need a backup center and I doubt Reed will be playing for us after this.

I have no idea what the clippers or the league response will be, but I predict he will receive a 5 to 10 game suspension. His behavior was definitely out of line and he deserves punishment, but it could have been worse- like the Ray Rice incident.

I'm very disappointed in him. No man should treat a woman this way- that is the first and foremost problem. He is also letting the team down. He could be a solid bench contributor. Maybe the clippers got him for so cheap because of character issues
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,079

Post#71 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sun Aug 6, 2017 10:08 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:Hopefully we can at least sign someone like Jeff Withey or Tiago Splitter. We need a backup center and I doubt Reed will be playing for us after this.

I'd avoid Jeff Withey. He too had a run in with domestic abuse. Reported by TMZ, of all places.

Tiago Splitter has a clean record. No off-the-court incidents or in-game techs, flagrants, or ejections. And because he played for the Spurs, he's automatically a good character guy. And he's an overseas player. However, his wins were the result of Gregg Popovich overseeing the crew and his ability to influence his players like a major to a group of rookie soldiers.

This is what I'm saying: having good character guys on the team doesn't translate to wins. I think the Clippers are very concerned of their image now that Chris Paul was traded, and are willing to sacrifice wins to be a model team citizen. Jeff Green is a half-assed example: good person, bad player with focus and consistency problems. Antawn Jamison is another one: good man, cursed player; you win more games with Jamison as a DNP than playing him. Jamison had a losing record for every stat possible, even when he achieved a career high in points or rebounds.

I have a saying: "Nice guys lose games, bad boys win titles."

Are you okay with players who are nice guys and won't cause problems to make the Clippers appear likeable at the cost of a losing season?
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,886

Post#72 » by esqtvd » Sun Aug 6, 2017 11:08 pm

Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#73 » by esqtvd » Sun Aug 6, 2017 11:14 pm

ouch
not just a little pushing and shoving

The alleged incident stemmed from an argument between Reed and his wife over her request for a divorce, according to an arrest report obtained by Miami’s CBS affiliate. The two struggled and she allegedly was knocked to the ground and dragged. Reed, also allegedly grabbed her by the hair as she tried to leave with the couple’s youngest child. The report adds that he twisted her arm and that she then struck him in the back of the head with a glass candle. She headed for the lobby of their Biscayne Boulevard condo and called police.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#74 » by mkwest » Mon Aug 7, 2017 4:05 am

:sigh:

2017-18 season is off to a great start. Thornwell on Live PD with his Clipper gear on shortly after signing his contract, Gallinari fight/injury and now Reed after having officially signing 3 days ago.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#75 » by QRich3 » Mon Aug 7, 2017 10:38 am

mkwest wrote::sigh:

2017-18 season is off to a great start. Thornwell on Live PD with his Clipper gear on shortly after signing his contract, Gallinari fight/injury and now Reed after having officially signing 3 days ago.

Holy crap, I only just found out about Sindaruis' thing, that was hilarious :lol:

But yeah, I don't know how we always have this kinda luck smh
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,085

Post#76 » by og15 » Tue Aug 8, 2017 12:17 am

What did Thornwell do?
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#77 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Aug 8, 2017 12:26 am

Briefly glanced at it.

Some girl called the cops on him because she didn't want him to leave or something?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#78 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Tue Aug 8, 2017 10:53 am

Character wise this wasn't the offseason I was expecting. I won't pass anymore judgment until I hear anything else that happened to Willie.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
Ranma
RealGM

Thornton's Time in the Spotlight 

Post#79 » by Ranma » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:53 am

og15 wrote:What did Thornwell do?

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

esqtvd
RealGM

Post#80 » by esqtvd » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:11 pm

ICYMI [I did]: VERY good news on the Willie Reed front. Mrs. Reed is not pressing charges; it looks like there's a reconciliation or at least no War of the Roses, and she'd prefer the legal system--and we would think Adam Silver--butt out.

MIAMI [August 9]-- The wife of Los Angeles Clippers center Willie Reed said Wednesday she does not wish to press battery charges against her husband after an argument between the couple led to his weekend arrest.

Jasmine Reed said in statement issued by her attorney, Ivlis Mantilla, that the situation was blown out of proportion and that she never called police. Willie Reed, who played last year for the Miami Heat, was arrested on a misdemeanor battery charge after the argument Saturday night with his wife at their Miami residence.

A police report quoted Jasmine Reed as saying her 6-foot-11 (2.1 meters), 245-pound (111 kilograms) husband pulled her hair, grabbed her wrists and dragged her in a struggle over her purse. She also told officers she hit Willie Reed with a glass candlestick holder.

On Wednesday, she called Willie Reed "a good man and a great father." The couple has two children.

"This is a private matter between my husband and I and for the sake of our family I would like to keep it that way," Jasmine Reed said.

Jasmine Reed also said in an affidavit filed in court that she does not want to be interviewed by police or prosecutors and that she does not fear her husband. She also asked that a stay-away order issued against Willie Reed be dismissed.

"I would hope they and the court would respect my wishes," she said in the affidavit.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/08/09/wife-of-clippers-reed-wants-domestic-battery-charge-dropped/104435922/
Last edited by mkwest on Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding link to article

Return to Los Angeles Clippers