ImageImageImageImageImage

Blake Griffin Press Conference: Expects to be back by training camp

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

JGOJustin
Pro Prospect
And1: 726

Blake Griffin Press Conference: Expects to be back by training camp 

Post#1 » by JGOJustin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:29 pm

Called it a "Realistic" expectation and will be on the court in a couple of weeks.

Read on Twitter

Good news!
@JamalCristopher - Come Back To California https://soundcloud.com/jamalcristopher/california
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Realistic But Not Assured 

Post#2 » by Ranma » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:47 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Re: Blake Griffin expects to be back by training camp 

Post#3 » by mkwest » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:34 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Blake Griffin Press Conference: Expects to be back by training camp 

Post#4 » by mkwest » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:26 pm

Clippers' message to Blake Griffin is simple: 'We need you'

When Doc Rivers sat down with Blake Griffin to pitch him on why he should stay in Los Angeles, his message was simple.

“I just told him, ‘We need you,’ ” he said.

“It’s a challenge for all of us,” Rivers said. “But change is not bad. Everyone thinks change is bad. No, change is good. What we have done has been great. You look at our record and our wins, we’ve been great. But it’s not good enough. And we accept that.”

“We went out and put together probably the best roster that we could,” Griffin said. “We got the guys that we need in certain positions, guys that are very, very versatile, guys that impact the game on both ends of the floor in several different ways, so that to me is extremely exciting. The more versatility you have, the harder you are to guard, and I think that’s the recipe for winning in today’s NBA.”

Tyler Blint-Welsh, LA Times
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,804

Post#5 » by og15 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:31 pm

The "This is a place where I want to start and finish my career" quote made me laugh, well the starting part is not an option anymore, lol.

Love all the signings, but the most important news of the week is that Blake Griffin "expects to be back for training camp". Annoyed that he's had to have another off-season where part of it is wasted rehabbing an injury, though this has been shorter than others. The guy has barely had off-seasons to work on his game.

Really interested to see how the 3PT shot will be used by him this upcoming season. Blake will likely be in the 6-7 apg range for the season considering the last time he was healthy he was doing 6 apg playing alongside Paul, I'd expect that production as long as the minutes are there.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#6 » by nickhx2 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:39 pm

thinking back on how things played out. it feels really good to me that blake is pretty much who this franchise belongs to now, and maybe forever. it just kind of feels right.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by mkwest » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:25 pm

Read on Twitter

Griffin says decision to remain with Clippers a no-brainer

“I want to say how excited I am to be back. This has been my home since I was drafted. A lot went into this decision,” Griffin said Wednesday. “In the end, I realized this was a no-brainer for me. This is the place where I want to start and finish my career. . This next chapter and next season for the Clippers and myself, I’ve never been more excited about an opportunity.”

Griffin said he and Paul talked about his decision to want to leave the Clippers.

“No hard feelings,” said Griffin, a five-time All-Star. “I think we’re all professional enough to know and we’ve all been in the situation now to know sometimes you have to do what’s right and what’s best for yourself and your family. I’ve never had hard feelings with any of my teammates who decided to leave or felt like it was best to leave. I wouldn’t start now.”

Los Angeles also suits Griffin and all of his non-basketball ventures. So his summer wasn’t filled with meetings with other teams. He canceled those after he met with the Clippers.

“I didn’t want to waste anybody’s time,” Griffin said. “Once I met with the Clippers, I knew that’s what I wanted to do. I didn’t want to have them fly in and sit through what I’m sure was going to be an awesome presentation but those teams needed to be able to have time to make decisions. I didn’t want to tie anybody up and make them go through the process when I already knew what I was doing.”

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,802

Post#8 » by esqtvd » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:53 am

JGOJustin wrote:Called it a "Realistic" expectation and will be on the court in a couple of weeks.

Read on Twitter

Good news!

Pretty BFD. With 9 new guys to work in, the most important camp since Doc took over for Vinnie. [That team only returned 7 players, this one 5, and that's counting Brice.]

Without CP's slow, deliberate [and alas predictable] play, this team needs to be re-invented. If Blake doesn't make it back until December, we're looking at playing catch-up on the fly all year, and the season maybe never even getting started. Could easily be the difference between 41 wins and say 47-plus, between the playoffs and not.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by mkwest » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:29 am

Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Re: Blake Griffin expects to be back by training camp 

Post#10 » by Clemenza » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:00 am

mkwest wrote:
Read on Twitter

Haven't seen a smile on this guy in a while. Guess $173 million and The Dribble Machine going to Houston will do that to you
BlzMwt
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,002

Post#11 » by BlzMwt » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:19 am

lol @ the slights to chris paul

Glad to see Blake back
JGOJustin
Pro Prospect
And1: 726

Post#12 » by JGOJustin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:35 pm

"With this I've been able to do way more than I thought i'd be able to do. I've been doing almost regular work outs for six weeks now."

Read on Twitter
@JamalCristopher - Come Back To California https://soundcloud.com/jamalcristopher/california
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#13 » by Neddy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:26 pm

Kristina Pink is such a hottie.

and I don't believe for a second that Blake will be ready by training camp let alone by the opening day. and he really should take his time to heal properly. we don't need him healthy at the beginning of the season, we need him 100% by the end of the season.
ehhhhh f it.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by mkwest » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:18 am

I don't believe that this video has been posted anywhere on here yet. BG talks a little about his rehab, offseason additions, the pioneers shirt and more.
Ranma
RealGM

Brotherhood Studios Video 

Post#15 » by Ranma » Sat Sep 9, 2017 4:27 pm

Read on Twitter

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Griffin 22nd on Sports Illustrated's Top 100 List 

Post#16 » by Ranma » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:24 pm

Ben Golliver, SI.com (9/13/17)
22. BLAKE GRIFFIN, CLIPPERS

The career reboot that Griffin (21.6 PPG, 8.1 RPG, 4.9 APG) so desperately needed fell into his lap this summer. With Chris Paul and J.J. Redick both leaving L.A., the three-time All-Star power forward takes over as the undisputed alpha dog for a Clippers team that will welcome all the scoring and playmaking he can muster. Given that his last three seasons were each marred by injury, Griffin finds himself at an unfortunate crossroads. Can he reclaim his All-Star form and carry a winning team with his scoring, passing and tempo-setting game? Or, will his accumulated health issues push the 28-year-old power forward towards an early-onset decline? Simply put, will he get back to being the old Griffin or, in a worst-case scenario, is he at risk of becoming the next Amar’e Stoudemire?

For now, Griffin remains a nightmare individual cover: he can bully smaller defenders, blow past slower defenders, step out to hit mid-range jumpers, initiate transition scenarios from his own defensive rebounds, run an effective two-man game with dribble hand-offs near the arc, and create offense with high-low passes to DeAndre Jordan. However, his jaw-dropping dunks have become less common in recent years, he hasn’t yet mastered a career-extending three-point shot, and he was never a true rim-protector on defense. In other words, if his burst and pop start to wane, he will find it very difficult to live up to the terms of his new five-year, $173 million max contract. Although it’s not yet clear exactly when Griffin will be back from a toe injury, his expanded post-Paul role should make for a fun and free-wheeling season once he does return.

Top 100 NBA Players of 2018: Nos. 30-11
Ranma
RealGM

Griffin 24th on ESPN's Top 100 

Post#17 » by Ranma » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:50 pm

og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Blake Should Be #15 or 16 

Post#18 » by og15 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:00 pm

I get it, I get it, injury worries, he hasn't been that present the last two seasons overall, but Griffin IMO should have been #15 on the list. Just can't justify players like Conley, Lillard, Lowry, Thompson, and Irving over Griffin unless you just don't think Blake will be healthy. Hayward, sure, you can argue for him, though I'd still take Blake.
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Post#19 » by illastrate » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:14 pm

These rankings really place a premium on perceived health. CP3 missed quite a few games per usual, but he was healthy down the stretch and had a monster playoff series, hence his consistent ranking. Blake ended the season with an injury and was expected not to be ready for this upcoming season, thus his ranking took a hit. If Blake had a healthy career year, no doubt he will jump in or near the top 10 in the next rankings.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#20 » by og15 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:23 pm

illastrate wrote:These rankings really place a premium on perceived health. CP3 missed quite a few games per usual, but he was healthy down the stretch and had a monster playoff series, hence his consistent ranking. Blake ended the season with an injury and was expected not to be ready for this upcoming season, thus his ranking took a hit. If Blake had a healthy career year, no doubt he will jump in or near the top 10 in the next rankings.

Yea, you're right. This is why I understand the rankings of him and some of the lower expectations of the team by some people. Blake's health to most is less certain than the health of other stars, but if he's healthy, and I think he will be, it is going to be a very fun and interesting season.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers