Clippers Revoke Front Office Role From Doc Rivers

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

JGOJustin
Pro Prospect
And1: 726

You're right 

Post#161 » by JGOJustin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:04 pm

Ranma wrote:
JGOJustin wrote:Well for starters, I read your entire thing. Every bit. And your criticism of Doc especially the callous nature by which he (And the FO. He doesn't come to these decisions alone) comes to our draft picks have been downright infuriating. Nothing you said was wrong. Nothing. Reggie Bullock ended up being traded for a player who was basically out of the league in Austin. That's how badly valued Reggie was and that reflects on Doc. CJ Wilcox isn't even in the NBA and I was never a fan of his for the next level. Dawsen reeked of of lazy talent evaluation just like Reggie Bullock. Buy into the 2nd round just Pick the old guy who played in the prestigious program like Reggie did.

These are flat out bad picks, and suggest that we need(ed) an overhaul with our player evaluation and player development. Which is currently happening.

But it isn't the first time i've heard this criticism of Doc. And I personally believe these criticisms again are ancillary. What rookie drafted that late was going to make a difference? What Rookie drafted that late was actually going to be in the rotation? What team right now who is playing for championships (Other than SAS, they are an anomaly) has their 2nd round picks getting rotation minutes? The odds of finding a decent, not even all star level player in the 2nd round hovers around 7%

https://the-cauldron.com/the-2nd-round-and-misuse-of-probability-402639df1038

Any 2nd round pick you see that's thriving in the league right now should be looked at as a rarity IMO, and we as fans shouldn't expect much out of a 2nd round pick trying to contribute on a vet heavy team. Allen Crabbe is a friend of mine so I was campaigning for LAC to take him instead of Bullock, but at the time, to sit there and say that Allen was going to be the wing we so desperately needed is hindsight bias. Bullock didn't work out, but most of those picks don't. I am NOT being totally dismissive of 2nd round picks, but as a fan i'm not that obnoxious of an internet scout with limited resources to burn doc at the stake for not getting Jordan Clarkson or Patrick McCaw. You don't know how Reggie Bullock playing on team CP3 impacted draft decision making. It shouldn't but relationships matter, relationships that you can't gauge being an armchair gm.

It wouldn't have mattered who we took in those positions in the draft because they probably wouldn't have played and that's par for the course of perennial winners chasing a championship. GSW doesn't play young guys, Cle doesn't play young guys, Houston did to a degree with Capella and Montrez, Utah didn't, and that's the point. Young guys don't play. It's the bullet you bite when you're trying to win big which is why building around the Cap is tough when you have 3 max guy. One of which is your star player who you're trying to (at the time) resign with you when his deal is up, so playing projects rotation minutes is out of the question, and seeking out vets to sign and trade for is more appropriate.

So when I look at the pitfalls of Doc, it's having way too much faith in Jamal Crawford, not staggering Doc and Chris nearly enough, not featuring Blake enough instead opting for more PnR's with CP, etc. but I'm not faulting him for not hitting on 2nd round picks who wouldn't have played anyway. For me, any criticism of Doc as a gm is exacerbated because Blake and Chris aren't performing at the elite levels that we needed them to be. If they were, missing on these draft picks doesn't hurt as much. His coaching errors don't hurt as much. It's a players league.

I've been away from the forum and am now catching up. In fact, I'm still behind with this thread, but I wanted to respond to your post before finishing going through all the posts on here. I appreciate your reply and for providing that chart on second-round picks and the accompanying article. I'm not going to have time to read the article right now but I get the gist based on the chart and your argument. I even agree with it.

However, my contention with Doc's draft failures primarily focuses on his mishandling of first-round draft picks. While second-round draft picks are considered even more so to be crapshoots and throwaway picks, there are years of exception and there's a recent trend of early second-round selections being more sought after than late first-round selections given the comparative talent available at those slots and the non-guaranteed salary commitments of second-round picks.

Still, the 2017 draft afforded Doc opportunities to select first-round talent in either Patrick McCaw or Malcolm Brogdon instead of trading down for Diamond Stone and David Michineau, which illustrates such an example of the exception to the rule.

I'm going to try to address your points generally since I've addressed most of them previously and I suspect, based on the length of this thread, the topic has been covered more thoroughly by other posters.

You asked what players available late in the first round in both the 2013 and 2014 drafts could have helped the Clippers, so I cited Crabbe, Jokic, Robinson III, Daniels, Jokic, Grant, and Clarkson and I didn't even mention Andre Roberson or Rudy Gobert in 2013. I already acknowledged how unreasonable it was to expect Doc to hit on every pick, but there were certainly plenty of opportunities for him to draft players who have since proven to be contributing NBA players. I cited Crabbe, specifically, because he was considered the consensus BPA available when his turn to pick came up, which meant that he went out of his way to select a player generally considered to be less valuable.

You touched upon Doc not playing young players and claiming good teams don't play young players. Well, Golden State played former second-rounder Draymond Green on its way to building a championship dynasty and still found time for McCaw, whom the Clippers passed on. Likewise, the Thunder found regular playing time for Roberson. You already mentioned the Rockets and the Spurs are also known for doing this.

This only further points to Doc's failure as a coach, which clouded his GM perspective and, in turn, undermined his abilities as a coach. Doc made a point not to play young players outside of his son. The expectation that Doc wouldn't play or devote much effort into developing young players shows how wasteful and limited he was in his approach, especially when other winning clubs found ways to incorporate young players into winning situations.

There have been discussions about how organizations have to employ all avenues at their disposal in order to build winning teams whether it's through the draft, free agency, scouting the G-Leagues, etc. The same applies to coaching. One of the reasons I've found Doc and Phil Jackson to be overrated is because they don't develop talent and seem only able to coach elite players to success. Vinny Del Negro is not an elite coach and yet he got just about the same result with essentially the same roster as Doc and that was without playing DJ regularly. This is why I respect someone like Larry Brown and Gregg Popovich. Both have not only proven capable of coaching good players but also made a point to continue to develop and teach pro players. Brown, of course,
was also not the best judge of talent but he at least one-upped Doc in fitting in such misfits into his schemes.

Part of the Spurs' success over the years has been the dynamic of Popovich knowing well enough to defer to R.C. Buford for most matters with regards to personnel evaluation and acquisition even though Pop retained final say in decision-making. It chaps my hide that Buford--like Neil Olshey, Jeff Weltman, and John Hammond--was with the Clippers before finding success elsewhere as talent evaluators.

Doc didn't start deferring to more dedicated and reliable staff or even devoting resources into scouting and development until Lawrence Frank's ascension after he proved thoroughly incapable in the role of GM. A big part of the reason why the Clippers are still playing catch up in our organizational infrastructure is because Doc was so lax in his commitment to team building outside of going after the flashy names (over substance) and relying on his own limited views on players as a guide to evaluating talent. His track record of wasteful spending of draft picks, signings, and trades are self evident.

There's an expectation that even if Doc had drafted players like McCaw, Crabbe or Roberson, they likely would not have developed, anway. That is exactly the problem. His shortcomings as coach in playing inefficient players like Jamal Crawford or having his star players hurt doesn't excuse his failures in not utilizing every resource at his disposal whether it is developing young players, signing vet free agents, or putting his star players in the best position to succeed. These are more than ancillary concerns as they limit our opportunities for success.

p.s. By the way, finding good chemistry and scheme fits and evaluating players' character and mentality along with talent were among the reasons why I previously advocated for the Clippers to pursue Travis Schlenk before he got the GM job in Atlanta. This is in reference to your point about relationships mattering with regards to drafting.

You know what?

I'll agree with you. I'll give. Because at the end of the day, when you have 3 guys like Blake CP and DJ that put you up against the Cap, finding talent on the margins should be of most premium concern and no matter the odds of those players being good in the late 1st and 2nd round, grabbing CJ wilcox and Branden Dawson shows a gross, cavalier approach to building on the margins and that isn't ancillary. If you're trying to find talent on the margins, every avenue matters, and if you're drafting guys like Dawson, Wilcox, Stone, and Brice all of whom didn't or probably won't ever play for your team, then that does indeed show callousness towards an extremely vital part to team building, the draft. Certainly, if your president is taking this approach to the draft, (Which may be the most important way to find cost efficient talent on the margins) then he probably shouldn't be president.

Now do I think McCaw, Roberson, or Crabbe are needle movers? Not in the least bit. I don't think any of those guys stops us from being where we are today. I still contend that this isn't even a conversation if Blake and CP both are playing 75+ games a season and playing at all NBA levels. But, nevertheless, failing that badly at finding on the margin talent, when finding cost efficient talent on the margins is so vital, doesn't help matters at all and as I said, you just can't have that cavalier of an approach to the draft when every avenue for exploration including the draft matters so much to teams like LAC who are against the Cap.

Credit to Ballmer and LAC though, it was a misstep and in 3.5 years they've made steps to try and correct it by fielding a real minor league team, bringing in a new GM (and this is for sure going to happen. Sooner than people know) and continuing to take steps to becoming an elite level franchise on and off the floor.

at the end of the day though, doc could have hit on every first and second round pick, done everything right, but none of it would have mattered at all if Blake and CP weren't on the floor together for 75 to 82 games a year and that's why I initially said it was ancillary and to a degree I still feel that way because this is a star driven league, you win and lose w/ your best players. And this is partly why It's kind of moot for me to jump down Doc's throat because whoever the GM was, whoever the coach was, wasn't taking this team farther when their best players continue to miss 20 games a year but I get it. When your best players are hurt, (Something you can't control) your missteps as a GM are exacerbated (Things you can control) and are rightfully condemned.
@JamalCristopher - Come Back To California https://soundcloud.com/jamalcristopher/california
JGOJustin
Pro Prospect

Re: Clippers Revoke Front Office Role From Doc Rivers 

Post#162 » by JGOJustin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:14 pm

I'll add this:

My bro (who also works for LAC. Not on the Bball side though) joking has said that for the past couple of years, Doc trolls the draft and drafts' guys that he knows won't see any playing time anytime soon with LAC. Purposely not drafting the BPA, so that he won't have to play him because he knows he doesn't want any parts of having young guys in the rotation.

And now i'm like, he may have been right :lol:

At the end of the day, missing in the draft, is one thing. But the sheer cavalier attitude towards the draft and acquiring young, cost efficient talent from your GM is downright dangerous. One of the most important, cost efficient ways to get better is through the draft and here we had a GM who completely disregarded it. That is dangerous.

For this alone, I don't blame anyone who wanted him out of the GM chair. Do I think it matters in terms of changing where we are today? Not at all, but in the grand scheme of things, on a macro level, you do want a GM in place with a much more sensitive approach to one of the most important ways to build a team.
@JamalCristopher - Come Back To California https://soundcloud.com/jamalcristopher/california
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: You're right 

Post#163 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:41 pm

JGOJustin wrote:
I'll agree with you. I'll give. Because at the end of the day, when you have 3 guys like Blake CP and DJ that put you up against the Cap, finding talent on the margins should be of most premium concern and no matter the odds of those players being good in the late 1st and 2nd round, grabbing CJ wilcox and Branden Dawson shows a gross, cavalier approach to building on the margins and that isn't ancillary. If you're trying to find talent on the margins, every avenue matters, and if you're drafting guys like Dawson, Wilcox, Stone, and Brice all of whom didn't or probably won't ever play for your team, then that does indeed show callousness towards an extremely vital part to team building, the draft. Certainly, if your president is taking this approach to the draft, (Which may be the most important way to find cost efficient talent on the margins) then he probably shouldn't be president.

Thank you.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
JGOJustin
Pro Prospect

Post#164 » by JGOJustin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
JGOJustin wrote:

Thank you.

long winded, and I don't blame you for not reading lol

At the end of the day, I do not think Doc Rivers was operating in genuine faith when it came to the draft. That is, I don't think he plausibly saw an avenue for tangible playable talent at the positions he was drafting in, and as a result, the FO (led by him) took a lazy approach to the draft, picking extremely safe guys that were clearly not the best players available, but came from a storied program with storied coaches.

That's lazy, and can't happen out of your FO. I think Doc Rivers the coach was trying to appease Chris Paul, Blake, JJ, (The Jeff Green trade, Jamal resigning, among other things) and was trying to win now, which is fine. The core was built to win now. But that is why we probably needed a real GM because there's just no way you can appease CP and try to win now...and actually care about the BPsA deep in the 1st and 2nd round. If the Doc the coach is trying to win now, then IMO he can't possibly be acting in good faith as a GM because he has no plans for the player(s) he's drafting. It's actually a huge conflict of interest. Doc was trying to win now and keep chris blake and DJ beyond 17' summer so he took a cavalier approach to the draft which is a huge red. Even if he took a serious approach to the draft, there's just no way that Doc the GM was acting in the best interest of the team, because Doc the coach needed to do whatever it took to keep CP, Blake, and DJ and that ran opposite of the long, more detailed view of what Doc the GM needed to be taking. Simply put, you can't have a coach who's coaching vets and trying win chips, also be the GM, and his approach to the draft showed you exactly why you can't. As a GM, You won't even care to try to find your David Nwaba (A friend of mine), Jonathan Simmons, or McCaw because those guys don't fit the win now approach that you have as a coach.

Like I said, missing in the draft isn't the issue, the total disregard for it is though. Doc the GM come draft time, was acting in the interest of the Doc the coach, and that's an issue. You have an old veteran team, so you pick the best old guys from Michigan State and UNC. Literally no effort at all. They also picked a guy they knew they had no plans for in David Micheneau.

But like I said before, they're going in the right direction. Having your own minor league team allows for symmetry with the big club, real reps and bump, and Evans and Thornwell are awesome gets at the spots that they got them at in the draft. What they've done over the last year plus in terms of revamping their Player development department is encouraging.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#165 » by wco81 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:44 am

Well even if someone else drafts prospects, it's still going to fall on the coaching staff to develop them.

If Doc doesn't want to develop players, which includes giving them some playing time in optimal situations, will it matter who does the drafting?
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#166 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:16 am

wco81 wrote:Well even if someone else drafts prospects, it's still going to fall on the coaching staff to develop them.

If Doc doesn't want to develop players, which includes giving them some playing time in optimal situations, will it matter who does the drafting?

He can only play the team the FO gives him.

It's a great situation for us and I said that when CP got traded.
If Doc won't develop these players, then what alternative does he have but to quit?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#167 » by esqtvd » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:23 pm

JGOJustin wrote:
long winded, and I don't blame you for not reading lol

At the end of the day, I do not think Doc Rivers was operating in genuine faith when it came to the draft. That is, I don't think he plausibly saw an avenue for tangible playable talent at the positions he was drafting in, and as a result, the FO (led by him) took a lazy approach to the draft, picking extremely safe guys that were clearly not the best players available, but came from a storied program with storied coaches.

That's lazy, and can't happen out of your FO. I think Doc Rivers the coach was trying to appease Chris Paul, Blake, JJ, (The Jeff Green trade, Jamal resigning, among other things) and was trying to win now, which is fine. The core was built to win now. But that is why we probably needed a real GM because there's just no way you can appease CP and try to win now...and actually care about the BPsA deep in the 1st and 2nd round. If the Doc the coach is trying to win now, then IMO he can't possibly be acting in good faith as a GM because he has no plans for the player(s) he's drafting. It's actually a huge conflict of interest. Doc was trying to win now and keep chris blake and DJ beyond 17' summer so he took a cavalier approach to the draft which is a huge red. Even if he took a serious approach to the draft, there's just no way that Doc the GM was acting in the best interest of the team, because Doc the coach needed to do whatever it took to keep CP, Blake, and DJ and that ran opposite of the long, more detailed view of what Doc the GM needed to be taking. Simply put, you can't have a coach who's coaching vets and trying win chips, also be the GM, and his approach to the draft showed you exactly why you can't. As a GM, You won't even care to try to find your David Nwaba (A friend of mine), Jonathan Simmons, or McCaw because those guys don't fit the win now approach that you have as a coach.

Like I said, missing in the draft isn't the issue, the total disregard for it is though. Doc the GM come draft time, was acting in the interest of the Doc the coach, and that's an issue. You have an old veteran team, so you pick the best old guys from Michigan State and UNC. Literally no effort at all. They also picked a guy they knew they had no plans for in David Micheneau.

But like I said before, they're going in the right direction. Having your own minor league team allows for symmetry with the big club, real reps and bump, and Evans and Thornwell are awesome gets at the spots that they got them at in the draft. What they've done over the last year plus in terms of revamping their Player development department is encouraging.

In "win-now" mode and capped out, we were in the dumpster diving business, rising or falling on the quality of players we could get for minimum wage or thereabouts. It was an advantage to have the coach/president to be able to promise them PT and how they'd be used. In fact, Doc still has some of that pull according to Willie Reed, who said he signed with the Clips because of such promises.

The fact still remains that late-round rooks usually require 2-3 years before they can contribute at a playoff level, and that's only if you invest the PT in them. 5000 NBA minutes later, Jerami Grant--the type of prospect we could draft--is still back of the rotation at best. "Development" only matters if they develop into something and even if/when they do, it's down the line. There was only one rookie last year, Brogdon, who statted out as well as Felton and even Bass.

Doc was the right man for that job, identifying existing NBA talent and sweet-talking them to sign on the dotted line.

But we're in a new business now--as Sterling used to say, the "hope" business. Doc replaced the entire scouting staff, got us a development guru and now a G-League team, hired Lawrence Frank to take his place and then stepped aside--or allowed himself to be gently pushed. I doubt he enjoys scouting 19-year-olds anyway [plus he's no good at it], so it's more a chore he should be glad to be rid of.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#168 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:44 pm

What's scary is I think the guy above would do it the same way if we had to do it all over again.

Glad Ballmer has moved on even if he hasn't.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#169 » by esqtvd » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:16 am

I don't think you're quite reading the argument charitably. The org has moved on and I quite approve. Indeed, Doc laid the groundwork.

However, I don't regret having gone for it, and neither do I think the org would necessarily be in better shape talentwise, since we had access to only late-round longshots.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#170 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:46 pm

So yes or no to doing it the same way if you had to do it all over again?

esqtvd
RealGM

Post#171 » by esqtvd » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:58 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:So yes or no to doing it the same way if you had to do it all over again?

Would you allow that a different course may well have resulted in sub-50 win seasons but with no real improvement in our current stock of talent? Because that would be my argument.

After decades of being the worst franchise in any American sport, I rather enjoyed the past 4-5 years.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#172 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:32 pm

I will give you an answer to any question you ask if you answer yes or no to the yes or no question I asked first.

esqtvd
RealGM

Post#173 » by esqtvd » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:44 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:I will give you an answer to any question you ask if you answer yes or no to the yes or no question I asked first.

Ah, this game. The problem with arguing with polemicists is they have no argument to defend, they only attack yours. This asymmetry is uninstructive: The question is not x or not-x [Doc din't win the title or even make the WCF, therefore he sucks and we should have done something--anything--different], it's choosing between x and y. You advance no y. With no position to defend, you have set up the game so you cannot lose. Well done. :wink:

Since my internet experience suggests you won't back down from this game you've set up, I'll simply yield and answer yes. I'll take the 50-win seasons, the best in Clipper history, since no concrete alternative is being offered. Your turn.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#174 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:57 pm

Pretty much skimmed post looking for yes/no answer until I saw it. Thank you for your answer.

No. I will not allow that going for a different course would have meant sub 50 win seasons with no real improvement.

If our organization invested the resources in the draft and cultivating talent, you're whining about a player taking 2-3 years to develop could be the exact thing that has 1) CP re-signing with this club and 2) has us as contenders for next season.

You will undoubtedly take that to mean, picks in the 20s.

No.

Around the time CP re-signed in 2013 at age 28, I said our main business should be attacking the draft and getting younger talent that we could develop around him to provide him relief on the defensive end and on minutes played. Bare in mind he had a partial meniscus removal in his history and IMO, I thought it was important he retired here and went into the hall as a Clipper.

We needed to get a pick back in the Bledsoe deal. We needed to keep the pick we sent the Bucks and more than likely should have been looking to get another 1st plus possibly buying into the 2nd round or finding talent in the D-League ala Spurs n Danny Green.

Aggressively attacking the draft/ decelopmental side was my goal from the moment we re-signed CP. It was the best way to attack helping our team and IMO elongating his career....not trades for crappy players saying we needed to take a long shot because we were in win now mode.

esqtvd
RealGM

Post#175 » by esqtvd » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:04 pm

then by all means argue why not
floor's yours
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#176 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:10 pm

I edited my post.

And while anything can happen (kinda like Geoff Green being a good trade), I dont think that would have resulted by focusing on the draft.

esqtvd
RealGM

Post#177 » by esqtvd » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:14 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:I edited my post.

And while anything can happen (kinda like Geoff Green being a good trade), I dont think that would have resulted by focusing on the draft.

present your argument
with late-round rookies being so useless and players like Collison and Felton being so helpful, the evidence is not on your side
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#178 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Yes.

Two signings for the minimum would have stopped this organization from developing draft picks or other developmental talent.

Makes sense.
My fault.

esqtvd
RealGM

Post#179 » by esqtvd » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:37 pm

not the argument

In "win-now" mode and capped out, we were in the dumpster diving business, rising or falling on the quality of players we could get for minimum wage or thereabouts. It was an advantage to have the coach/president to be able to promise them PT and how they'd be used. In fact, Doc still has some of that pull according to Willie Reed, who said he signed with the Clips because of such promises.

The argument is an overlooked facet of Doc's one-man regime. Now that we are in the "hope" business, a Lawrence Frank is fine for the job. Not in "win-now" mode.

Better drafting could have got us Kyle Anderson or Jordan Clarkson, but neither was as immediately useful as the vets, and neither really moves the meter at the championship level.

As for the Bledsoe trade, nobody can say what was offered out there. The market was soft when he eventually became a RFA. As for the D-League, Doc was supposedly pushing for a team for years. However, until the expanded rosters this year with the 2-way contracts, it wasn't that great a deal for the owners. GSW paid for Hassan Whiteside's education and got nothing for their trouble and expense. Yogi Ferrell played for the Nets' team but got scooped up by the Mavs.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#180 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:12 am

It is the argument and has been since Ranma used the [on point term] myopic to describe Doc supporters.

You speak of win-now mode as if it's some given that I have to concede. I don't agree with that approach and it isnt an excuse for Doc to dive for the Geoff Greens of the world.

Still not sure how 2 minimum signings prevent us from being in the development business but by all means, keep repeating yourself over and over and acting like their value means you cant develop players.

Very generous and convenient interpretation to say the market for Bledsoe was soft.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers