Moderators: TrueLAfan, og15

MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,274

Re: Game 6: LA (4-1) VS Warriors (3-2) on 10/30 @ 7:30PM 

Post#21 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:47 pm

og15 wrote:
JGOJustin wrote:
og15 wrote:This bad though? I could have anticipated a 15 point loss, but giving up 141 points and losing by 28, not so much.

I did.

Despite the final #, our offense struggles against them. We literally cannot get quality offense at all against them. They blow up everything we try to do offensively with their switching, and force us to play 1v1 and we just don't have the players to do that for 48 minutes.

From CP to Blake now, what GSW does defensively, and the personnel that they have, it's literally the 100% remedy for what we wanna do offensively. So if every point we score is hard, then eventually they're going to pull away.

But whatever, these games aren't the games I worry about. We were going to go 0-4 against GSW this year anyway. It's the taking care of business against other teams we're supposed to beat that I worry about. Games where we're up double figures in the 2nd half, games against lesser opponents. Those are the games that make your season, not GSW. They're going to win 60 plus games, not a lot of people are going to beat them anyway.

Offense was good though. From quarter 1-3 we averaged 28-29 points each quarter and were shooting well. The problem was that we gave up 107 by quarter 3 and like 65\56 shooting.

Offense was not good. We have the size advantage and still got blown out in points in the paint. There was no ball or off-ball movement except, judging from what I read about the second half, for a brief stretch in the third quarter. For the most part, our offense was based around isos, dribbling, and chucking threes.

The Warriors are the most unfairly stacked team in the history of sports. There is no defense that can stop them. The only way you can beat them is by exploiting any matchup advantages you have against them, making them work on defense, and trying to outscore them. None of that will ever happen as long as Doc is our "coach."
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,317

Post#22 » by wco81 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:58 pm

Warriors doubled Blake more than I recall them doing in recent seasons.

So they got a lot of good 3 point looks an shot those really well, especially Beverly and Gallinari.

Actually teams have shot the 3 much better this season agains the Warriors than in previous seasons, at least through the first 5-10 games.

Pound the Warriors down low? Sure that's what Charles Barkley has been saying for years. But on the other end, those big men are liability on defense and in transition.

AD and Cousins combined for over 70 points against the Warriors and the Pelicans still lost. Actually, Holiday and others shot pretty well from 3 in that game.

When I saw Blake trying to force KD and others down into the paint the Clippers offense came to a standstill. DJ got some good lobs and put backs but at least they weren't burning out 10 seconds of the shot clock to have a big man try to back down a defender.

Thing is, Blake is hitting the outside shot well and still showing explosiveness. So he shouldn't just have to try to back down a defender all the time. A shot fake an two dribbles to penetrate the paint? Or when he backs down a defender, he's trying to get to the rim. Why not occasionally turn around and shoot a fadeaway or a jump hook to keep defenses honest?
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,452

Re: RE: Re: Game 6: LA (4-1) VS Warriors (3-2) on 10/30 @ 7:30PM 

Post#23 » by og15 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:31 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
og15 wrote:
JGOJustin wrote:
I did.

Despite the final #, our offense struggles against them. We literally cannot get quality offense at all against them. They blow up everything we try to do offensively with their switching, and force us to play 1v1 and we just don't have the players to do that for 48 minutes.

From CP to Blake now, what GSW does defensively, and the personnel that they have, it's literally the 100% remedy for what we wanna do offensively. So if every point we score is hard, then eventually they're going to pull away.

But whatever, these games aren't the games I worry about. We were going to go 0-4 against GSW this year anyway. It's the taking care of business against other teams we're supposed to beat that I worry about. Games where we're up double figures in the 2nd half, games against lesser opponents. Those are the games that make your season, not GSW. They're going to win 60 plus games, not a lot of people are going to beat them anyway.

Offense was good though. From quarter 1-3 we averaged 28-29 points each quarter and were shooting well. The problem was that we gave up 107 by quarter 3 and like 65\56 shooting.

Offense was not good. We have the size advantage and still got blown out in points in the paint. There was no ball or off-ball movement except, judging from what I read about the second half, for a brief stretch in the third quarter. For the most part, our offense was based around isos, dribbling, and chucking threes.

The Warriors are the most unfairly stacked team in the history of sports. There is no defense that can stop them. The only way you can beat them is by exploiting any matchup advantages you have against them, making them work on defense, and trying to outscore them. None of that will ever happen as long as Doc is our "coach."

Good point, but I'm referring more to the production. The offense produced well, it didn't look great, but it produced. The bigger issue was defense if we're talking about what could have changed the outcome. I'm not really sure that more ball movement or anything else was going to accomplish any more points per possession offensively than the Clippers got, so to win they would still first of all have needed to defend GS much better.

If the plan to beat GS is to match 107 points in 3 quarters, then you've already failed.

Sent from my SM-G955W using RealGM mobile app
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,943

Post#24 » by esqtvd » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:08 pm

With only 16 points in 29 minutes, Blake was a team-worst -26. Except for Lou. The 17 points was nice but he was a mind-bending -31.

I don't think plus/minus is the be-all and end-all but except for Sindarius at -17, nobody else was any worse than -13. I'm not sure what all this means, but obviously we need to find some combinations that click, and Blake's gonna have to out-plus/minus somebody over there bigtime.

I couldn't bear to watch most of it, but we're not gonna compete with these guys until we're running on all cylinders. We're not the only team that's had a high player turnover that hasn't found its identity yet, and I'm certainly down with OG15 that we're gonna have to guard somebody. Milos is a fun and shiny new toy, but he's not gonna help with the real problem, giving up 141 points.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,317

Post#25 » by wco81 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:16 pm

I didn't see any post-game interviews with Doc or any of the Clipper players.

Did they say anything notable?
GoodDayLa
Junior
And1: 45

Post#26 » by GoodDayLa » Wed Nov 1, 2017 12:17 am

To win,the Clippers have to play a really physical game and hope Blake Griffin can physically overpower their entire front line and overcome their length with Durant coming to help.

Deandre and Blake just have to be monsters, and role players have to foul HARD to set the tone too and then sprinkle PB and his physicality.

I dont see how else they can win if they dont make it extremely physical.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#27 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Nov 1, 2017 5:14 pm

GoodDayLa wrote:To win,the Clippers have to play a really physical game and hope Blake Griffin can physically overpower their entire front line and overcome their length with Durant coming to help.

Deandre and Blake just have to be monsters, and role players have to foul HARD to set the tone too and then sprinkle PB and his physicality.

We don't have the reputation with the officials that teams like the Grizzlies and the Warriors themselves do that would allow us to play physical. If Blake and DJ try to play physical against the Warriors, they'll foul out quickly. It's unfair, but it's the truth.

Our only hope of even being competitive with the Warriors anytime soon is to do what they did when we used to own them - fire our horrible "coach" and bring in a real coach. Itoudis wouldn't get blown out by the Warriors every time.
GoodDayLa
Junior
And1: 45

Post#28 » by GoodDayLa » Wed Nov 1, 2017 5:42 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
GoodDayLa wrote:To win,the Clippers have to play a really physical game and hope Blake Griffin can physically overpower their entire front line and overcome their length with Durant coming to help.

We don't have the reputation with the officials that teams like the Grizzlies and the Warriors themselves do that would allow us to play physical. If Blake and DJ try to play physical against the Warriors, they'll foul out quickly. It's unfair, but it's the truth.

Our only hope of even being competitive with the Warriors anytime soon is to do what they did when we used to own them - fire our horrible "coach" and bring in a real coach. Itoudis wouldn't get blown out by the Warriors every time.

You may be right but I'll reserve judgment till Milos comes back, if he ever does.

I don't think Milos is the key to beating the Warriors, hell no. But hopefully his experiences and ball facilitation will keep the game closer to BG has a chance to try to win games at the end.

Doc Rivers, the coach seems ok. Doc Rivers, the GM, really needed to go. Let's give them some more games to figure it out. If the Warrios are still blowing them out in mid 2018, maybe Doc is not the guy.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#29 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Nov 1, 2017 5:56 pm

This is season five of Doc the "coach." In all that time, he has yet to develop any halfcourt offense without Gentry there to do it for him. He has yet to make an impressive adjustment right when we need it. He continues to play favorites in the rotation over who's most deserving. He continues to put the Austin Rivers nepotism project ahead of winning. He continues to run his starters into the ground, even now that he finally has a bench.

This season, Doc promised that we would move the ball more, play faster, and he would do a better job of managing minutes. So far, this team has mostly played stagnant one-on-one ball, we're below league average in pace, and Doc is using playoff-style rotations in October and November. He's 0-for-3 in his grandiose promises.

Doc has been given more than enough chances already. He should have been fired after the Houston series. He's been "coaching" the same way for 17 years now. He's not going to magically become a good coach by mid-2018. All "giving Doc more games to figure it out" accomplishes is extending the Warriors' ownage of us and ensuring more wasted seasons.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers