ImageImageImageImageImage

2018 NBA Draft Talk

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

What do you predict the Clippers will do on Draft Night? (vote for up to 2 options)

Poll ended at Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:37 am

Remain at 12 & 13
39%
Trade up into the 3-6 range
11%
Trade up into the 7-9 range
No votes
Trade down
11%
Buy into the 2nd round
39%
Trade picks to acquire a big name
No votes
Danilo Gallinari is traded
No votes
Tobias Harris is traded
No votes

Total votes: 18

MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,178

2018 NBA Draft Talk 

Post#1 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:43 am

It's obvious now that we are going to be one of the worst teams in the league with Doc's "coaching," so it's time to look towards the draft. We need to lose lots of games to get another superstar to play with Blake. Luckily, with our joke of a "coach," I don't see much winning anytime soon. And since Ballmer is still too oblivious to fire Doc, we can tank our way to a great draft position. #TrustTheProcess #TrustTheLogo
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Re: Tank for Doncic or Porter! 

Post#2 » by Forte IV » Wed Nov 8, 2017 4:12 am

Its 10 games and we're missing two of our best players lol
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,302

Post#3 » by Dynamix » Wed Nov 8, 2017 11:42 am

Settle down, MartinToVaught!
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#4 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Nov 8, 2017 12:41 pm

I agree.

Without a tank, the goal is to just watch Blake’s prime for entertainment purposes.

We need to trade DeAndre tobthe highest bidder and tank for our own pick. We have a great opportunity to jump start a rebuild if we quit pretending we are going somewhere as constructed.

The tank will also be the end of Doc for several reasons.

On board 100%

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#5 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Nov 8, 2017 2:31 pm

Forte IV wrote:Its 10 games and we're missing two of our best players lol

Gallo has been awful so far and played in all but one of our embarrassing losses. I'm a huge Milos fan, but one player alone isn't fixing this mess and he doesn't help our terrible defense.

Without a coaching change, we are a lottery team. And no, promoting from within doesn't count as a real change. If we pull the idiotic move of removing the interim tag from one of Doc's assistants after a few fluky wins, we might as well just keep Doc.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#6 » by Captain Ballmer » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:56 pm

This is a definition of overreaction thread IMO. I'm opposed to lose for higher lottery ticket.

Regarding the tanking, I have no problem with losing this year as long as Blake trying to develop his outside game. I set my before the season expectations of 45 win team with a decrease to 35 win at the moment. Individually the team looks Ok. Blake plays good, Lou is good, DJ, Austin, Willie are good, Pat does his things, rookie's and youngs are also contributing. Hell even Wes Johnson looks like an actual nba player after all. Only bad performing is coming from Gallo. So individually we are playing out of %90 what we have. But even at %90 performing, we are not look like a 50 win team. I don't know healthy Milos with addition of good coaching will be enough to make this team relevant(55+ win team) again.

With the way our team constructed and our guys performing, I just can't see this team have any room left to expand and doesn't really looks like it will have in the near future. So, we are pretty much in the area where the last couple year's 30 win Sacto team in, with an upside with servicable veteran players to make it maybe 35ish win.

I just don't wanna spend Blake's last 2-3 years of prime like this. So i'm starting to embrace lottery, will save my hope for trading that pick along with DJ and Lou and maybe even Pat as assets for one established STAR Player, maybe something like Presti did with George can be pulled by The Logo.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,112

Post#7 » by og15 » Wed Nov 8, 2017 8:16 pm

If Blake is as good as we say he is, then it's not even possible for us to tank unless he's not playing. How could we go from a team that with decent health wins 56-57, poor health 51-53 games to a team bad enough to be in the running for the #1 pick despite having the same coach as the previous teams and having not depth and overall talent? We won 56 games with VDN, the equivalent of 50 the first season Paul came, so if he can't hold back a team like that, then Doc can't either.

It's not very logical. So unless you have a plan to keep Blake out all or for a lot of the season, we aren't going to be tanking, and if we do with him healthy, then he'd have to be playing poorly or something. Think about it, in spite of Kidd's coaching, and despite Parker missing 30 games and Middleton missing 50 games, the Bucks won 42 games last season in the back of Giannis. Clippers have more talent than that around Griffin, so it won't look good on Blake at all if we're an under .500 team, let alone in good running for a top 3.

The better plan would be trading DJ for a top pick like you mentioned in the other thread. If this team does poorly enough to tank, that's not going to be just a coaching issue, that's a huge player issue.

Lets see how we look 30 games in, conclusions being made now are still too early.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#8 » by donemilio21 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 12:27 am

I don't like tanking. no matter for who.
clip set
Junior
And1: 402

Post#9 » by clip set » Thu Nov 9, 2017 3:23 am

I was thinking in the playoffs this year that I would have been ok if both Paul and Griffin left and we went full rebuild. That isn't really an option now though, unless you move Blake for picks. With the lottery changes the expected return of top picks is going down, so you'd need decide soon and push for a 2017/18 pick. I don't even know what kind of return he could bring, since his age doesn't really align with most of the bad teams' rebuilds. The big mistake to avoid is maxing DJ. It'd be a joke to give him 35% of the cap. Just looking at the cap sheet we'd have 85-90% of it allocated to DJ, Blake, and Gallo the next couple years and be stuck resigning our bird rights guys.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#10 » by Neddy » Thu Nov 9, 2017 4:14 am

we can't tank. we try to tank and the best pick we would get would be just outside the lottery. this team may not be what it was the last 3 or 4 years, but this team isn't bad enough to be a top 3 pick team. we are better off keep it going and find a way to add to this team. perhaps trading DJ isn't the worst idea, if the return is something valuable, but I doubt a defensive center in his last year of his contact can bring much in today's NBA.

our problem is the lack of a true PG who can run the offense efficiently. point blake thing, can work time to time, but cannot run the offense 24/7.

we get Milos back and our issues will be mended.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#11 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Nov 9, 2017 5:41 pm

Neddy wrote:we can't tank. we try to tank and the best pick we would get would be just outside the lottery. this team may not be what it was the last 3 or 4 years, but this team isn't bad enough to be a top 3 pick team. we are better off keep it going and find a way to add to this team. perhaps trading DJ isn't the worst idea, if the return is something valuable, but I doubt a defensive center in his last year of his contact can bring much in today's NBA.

our problem is the lack of a true PG who can run the offense efficiently. point blake thing, can work time to time, but cannot run the offense 24/7.

we get Milos back and our issues will be mended.

I also doubt that signing him long term after age 30 is going to be a bright idea/ yield championships.

We can trade him and get value, lose him for nothing, or sign him to a stupid deal with the delusion that we are going to win anything.

Trading him while we can still deal from a position of strength is ideal.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#12 » by esqtvd » Thu Nov 9, 2017 9:25 pm

Clippers are my #1 but I still follow my hometown Sixers. I'm with Stephen A all the way. It was a disgrace.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/stephen-smith-thinks-process-disgusting-and-i-dont-want-hear-about-it/
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,212

Post#13 » by Clemenza » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:09 am

I really think we need to look at this top 10 draft class coming up for the future. There's some franchise changing players in 2018. Without tanking, maybe DJ to Cleveland for their Nets pick. But with these string of injuries- with really no end in sight- and Doc's coaching/rotations.. looking towards the future might be for the best.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#14 » by esqtvd » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:47 am

Clemenza wrote:I really think we need to look at this top 10 draft class coming up for the future. There's some franchise changing players in 2018. Without tanking, maybe DJ to Cleveland for their Nets pick. But with these string of injuries- with really no end in sight- and Doc's coaching/rotations.. looking towards the future might be for the best.

By all accounts, LeBron's gone. Another title would be nice and he's giving them the full chance but the Cleveland owner's surely already mentally turned the page, and the future starts with the Nets pick.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#15 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:36 am

The tank rolls on. Can't wait to see Doncic or Porter in a Clippers uniform. :)
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,233

Post#16 » by wco81 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:26 am

What happened to talk about vying to sign PG13 or some other big free agent after this season?

If the Clippers will have a max salary spot, targeting a max contract free agent seems more likely than getting a top 3 pick in the draft.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#17 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:33 pm

wco81 wrote:What happened to talk about vying to sign PG13 or some other big free agent after this season?

If the Clippers will have a max salary spot, targeting a max contract free agent seems more likely than getting a top 3 pick in the draft.

Why not both? We can let Doc get us Doncic/Porter, and have West sell LeBron or PG on playing with Blake and Doncic/Porter.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#18 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:49 pm

The Clippers are in no position to limit the ways in which thru acquire top end talent.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Dzanan Musa 

Post#19 » by Ranma » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:56 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#20 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:26 am

Return to Los Angeles Clippers