Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Clippers Talk 

Post#61 » by Ranma » Tue Dec 5, 2017 4:02 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Re: Trade Rumor of Cavaliers Considering DJ 

Post#62 » by Galloisdaman » Tue Dec 5, 2017 6:01 pm

Would the Clippers really want to go full on Kardashian mode?

Blake-Kendall
Tristan-Khloe

Would they find a role for Kanye?
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#63 » by TucsonClip » Tue Dec 5, 2017 8:13 pm

QRich3 wrote:I just don't think there'll be a clear cut franchise player in this draft (do we have a draft thread where we discuss the prospects? don't want to derail this with ramblings about specific prospects), and we're not gonna be drafting in the spots they're more likely to be anyway, but I'll definitely be happy if we get another Eric Gordon or another Q-Rich. The late part of the lottery can give you some nice pieces.

Dont want to derail either, but Deandre Ayton. Hes clearly the best player I have ever seen in Tucson. Hands down. Offensive upside in unlimited and his defensive potential is certainly there.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
bigdog34
Senior
And1: 96

Post#64 » by bigdog34 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 1:47 am

You all should jockey over to the Bucks board. Some laughable banter going on over there if you interested what we have been offering up to trade for DJ

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Sell! Sell!! Sell!!!!
clip set
Junior
And1: 402

Post#65 » by clip set » Wed Dec 6, 2017 2:09 am

bigdog34 wrote:You all should jockey over to the Bucks board. Some laughable banter going on over there if you interested what we have been offering up to trade for DJ

That was definitely an interesting read. I think a lot of fans in general are missing the value of getting his bird rights. The realgm projected cap numbers for 2018 show only Bulls, Lakers, and Pacers with over $20mm in projected space, which is likely what he'll be looking for as a lower range. The Pacers don't make any sense. Lakers will likely be looking for a bigger name. He's not going to have a lot of options as a FA, unless bottom feeders want to clear a lot of space for him but he doesn't really fit into most team's rebuilds.
cameroncrazies2
Senior
And1: 140

Post#66 » by cameroncrazies2 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 7:42 am

bigdog34 wrote:You all should jockey over to the Bucks board. Some laughable banter going on over there if you interested what we have been offering up to trade for DJ

Well the Clippers are in that dubious position of wanting to trade a big name player and expect a huge return, but he's in what is essentially a contract year, so his value is about half of what it would be if he was guaranteed at least a year and a half with the new team. And the Bucks aren't trading Middleton for him. I wouldn't even do that trade straight up if it worked salary cap wise. We'll give you a pick, some young player(s) and cap filler and that's the extent of our offer. We watched as we traded a young Tobias Harris with a lot of promise to get JJ Redick, rented him for 3 months, he never fit in with that team and walked in free agency. Now Tobes is a 20 PPG scorer. We don't want to get burned again.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#67 » by QRich3 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 9:22 am

TucsonClip wrote:
QRich3 wrote:I just don't think there'll be a clear cut franchise player in this draft (do we have a draft thread where we discuss the prospects? don't want to derail this with ramblings about specific prospects), and we're not gonna be drafting in the spots they're more likely to be anyway, but I'll definitely be happy if we get another Eric Gordon or another Q-Rich. The late part of the lottery can give you some nice pieces.

Dont want to derail either, but Deandre Ayton. Hes clearly the best player I have ever seen in Tucson. Hands down. Offensive upside in unlimited and his defensive potential is certainly there.

I just can't see him not be a liability on defense in the NBA, he can cover ground in the P&R, but he doesn't seem to be bothered with that side of the floor most of the time. He will be a nice offensive player, but the things he does better are the things that don't translate to the pros the best, so I still don't think he will be a top offensive anchor in the NBA.

He will be good for sure, but I see too many things that can go wrong to become a franchise centerpiece. The idea of him reaching his ceiling would be so awesome in our team if we trade DJ for a wing though, so I can see the appeal.

I mean he could put it all together, I remember I used to think similar of Bogut when he was at Utah, and then he became one of the best rim protectors in the NBA out of nowhere, so I'm not gonna trust my evaluation skills too much. He just gives me that feeling.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Post#68 » by TucsonClip » Fri Dec 8, 2017 12:10 am

QRich3 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:

I just can't see him not be a liability on defense in the NBA, he can cover ground in the P&R, but he doesn't seem to be bothered with that side of the floor most of the time. He will be a nice offensive player, but the things he does better are the things that don't translate to the pros the best, so I still don't think he will be a top offensive anchor in the NBA.

He will be good for sure, but I see too many things that can go wrong to become a franchise centerpiece. The idea of him reaching his ceiling would be so awesome in our team if we trade DJ for a wing though, so I can see the appeal.

I mean he could put it all together, I remember I used to think similar of Bogut when he was at Utah, and then he became one of the best rim protectors in the NBA out of nowhere, so I'm not gonna trust my evaluation skills too much. He just gives me that feeling.

His defense is quite underwhelming in the paint. Ive done posts on UA sites breaking down his defense. He just doesnt have the feel, the ability to diagnose a play, slide into position, and protect the rim. You see it every few games, and hes been more aggressive here and there at the rim the last two games.

That said, he has all the physical tools to become an good defender and rim protector. However, you arent going to see any of that in Tucson. Thats not what Miller is going to ask him to do, and thats not what his system needs, nor wants.

Offensively, there really isnt anything he cant do. Although we havent seen him off the bounce that much. He has unreal footwork and post moves for someone his age, he is as athletic as them come at that size (42.5" vertical), hes good at the FT line, his passing is actually really good, he can face up and one dribble get to the rim with drop step counters, and his jumper has a ton of potential. Its a flat shot, but he has easy range out to three, decent release, and that is a fix I can see happening. Last, but not least, he is operating with absolutely no space. Miller is running him out with Ristic, a nonathletic center who plays back to the basket a majority of the time.

His offensive upside is unlimited, and I really mean it when I say hes the best player ive ever seen in Tucson (I was a kid for Sean Elliott, Kenny Lofton, Steve Kerr, and on...).

- Shane Battier
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#69 » by esqtvd » Fri Dec 8, 2017 1:29 am

Hm. After watching Noel and Okafor suck so painfully the past few years, I dunno. And KAT's starting to get a bad rap too, regardless of his offensive game. You can't teach desire or court sense--Embiid's got both and he's been playing basketball for like five minutes.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/12/7/16743900/deandre-ayton-arizona-blocks-nba-draft

If he just stands in front of the rim and waves his arms around, he should block shots by osmosis alone. It’s concerning, because centers who don’t block shots in college have not fared well in the NBA. Ayton is blocking shots at a historically low rate for a future lottery pick. There have been 17 NCAA centers drafted in the top 10 since 2010, and Ayton’s freshman year block rate is tied with Cody Zeller’s for second-lowest among the players in that group. Ayton is averaging only 1.7 blocks per game, with a block rate of 4.3 percent, a full standard deviation under the group average of 8.1 percent. Greg Monroe is the only player who blocked fewer shots as a freshman. Ayton is even behind Jahlil Okafor, who had a block rate of 4.5 percent. Monroe and Okafor are not the company an athletic young center should be keeping.

>>>

Ayton’s poor shot-blocking numbers are a symptom of a bigger problem. Learning how to play good interior defense at the next level is hard enough. NBA coaches don’t want to coach effort.

Take a look at the career paths of some of the centers drafted in the top 10 in recent years. Karl-Anthony Towns was a dominant defensive presence in college, and he’s still learning the nuances of protecting the rim in his third season in the NBA. Nerlens Noel is in his fifth season, and he can’t even get minutes on one of the worst teams in the NBA because he doesn’t understand what he’s supposed to be doing in its defensive system. Andre Drummond is just starting to figure it out, and he’s in his sixth. All these guys were ahead of where Ayton is defensively at the same age. When you draft a teenage big man in the lottery, you are signing up for a long and difficult maturation process even in the best of circumstances. If he’s either unable or unwilling to put in the effort on both ends of the floor, that process could stretch on indefinitely.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Post#70 » by TucsonClip » Fri Dec 8, 2017 2:38 am

Shot blocking or not. Hes still elite offensively and defends well on the perimeter. He has the talent to play some 4 once his jumper irons out.

His interior defense may limit his ceiling, but dude is an absolute nightmare to defend. Hes scoring 1.14 points per possession, which is excellent.

- Shane Battier
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#71 » by esqtvd » Fri Dec 8, 2017 11:16 pm

The article argues [convincingly IMO] that for bigs, shotblocking in college is a leading indicator of future overall defense in the pros.

The question is whether you can ever become an elite team with a major defensive liability at center, I don't care how much he scores.

http://zonecoverage.com/2017/timberwolves/moore-karl-anthony-towns-defense-is-rationalizing-a-deandre-jordan-trade/

In Sunday evening’s game against the Los Angeles Clippers, Karl-Anthony Towns had perhaps his worst defensive game of the season culminating in a sequence of fourth-quarter miscues that left Tom Thibodeau, Taj Gibson, and Towns himself infuriated.

Read on Twitter

That wide-open dunk by DeAndre Jordan – gifted by Towns – marked Jordan’s seventh bucket in seven attempts that evening. Jordan’s perfect shooting night meant the Minnesota Timberwolves – and tangentially Towns – had allowed opposing centers to combine for a perfect 18-of-18 in consecutive games after Steven Adams of the Oklahoma City Thunder tallied 27 points on 11-of-11 shooting from the field in the previous game.

Which is to say: Same old.

Minnesota had the league’s 27th best defense last season and, again, this year find themselves with the fourth-worst defensive rating in the league despite the additions of Jimmy Butler and Taj Gibson. Now, 107 games into the Tom Thibodeau era, the Wolves head to Los Angeles Wednesday evening with not only defensive issues but a Karl-Anthony Towns problem.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#72 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:31 pm

wassuphomeboy wrote:My plan NEVER was to rebuild the Clippers. It was to keep CP3 and land LeBron in 2018.

There's reason to pay attention to the Houston connection. James and Paul have been friends since high school, won two gold medals together and recently led the players' union through CBA negotiations with Paul as president and James as VP. They are in position to be free agents at the same time for the first time in their careers next summer.

However, league sources called the concept that James and Paul want to spend their golden years as teammates an overstated assumption.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21763053/lebron-james-free-agency-future-unknown-los-angeles-lakers-holding-hope-nba

Still think that if CP3 stayed, we'd somehow be guaranteed to get LeBron?
Ranma
RealGM

Woj on Market for DJ 

Post#73 » by Ranma » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:18 am

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Waiting for Right Offer to Pull Trigger 

Post#74 » by Ranma » Tue Jan 9, 2018 4:48 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,744

Re: Waiting for Right Offer to Pull Trigger 

Post#75 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:04 pm

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Thanks for posting those.

LOL at that 2nd article. My winning the lottery hinges on one valuable asset- having the winning numbers in advance.
Ranma
RealGM

Post-Game Trade Talk 

Post#76 » by Ranma » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:25 am

Read on Twitter
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#77 » by mkwest » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:17 am

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Rockets in the Mix for DJ? 

Post#78 » by Ranma » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:03 pm

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM

Re: Rockets in the Mix for DJ? 

Post#79 » by esqtvd » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:55 pm

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Assuming Eric Gordon is untouchable, to match DJ's $22M salary, HOU would have to give up either Ryan Anderson [$19M] or 32-year-olds Tucker and/or Aziza [$7M each]. Nobody else makes more than $3M, so they'd have to gut their roster to get to $22M.

And with CP due a huge chunk of change, they'd be in the same sal cap hell we were in, with something like $90M committed to just 4 players

Harden $30M
CP $25-30M+
DJ $22-30M
Gordon $13M

and that's assuming they can dump Anderson's $20M on somebody--us, I guess--we're the only possible takers who could take back his salary to make room for DJ. To take Ryan Anderson's 2 years @ $20M left on his contract or Tucker [they can't replace Aziza's 36 mpg], the only deal I see that makes sense for us has to include Capela. I don't want their crappy draft picks.

Makes little sense to me on their end. Clint Capela is averaging 14.4 and 10.9 in only 26 mpg. All for $1.3M. Even as a RFA this summer, he's going to be a bargain, money saved and better spent on a bench than on a questionable upgrade at center--and a sal cap nightmare--with DJ.
Ranma
RealGM

Cavs Indeed Interested in DJ and Lou-Will 

Post#80 » by Ranma » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:54 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Clippers