Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,165

Re: Game 25: Clippers (9-15) host Raptors (17-7) on 12/11 @ 10:30 PM ET 

Post#41 » by og15 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:12 pm

esqtvd wrote:
Popovich wrote:Wow ugly game but as I predicted Clippers were able to stole this one in 4th. MIlosh bailed out himself with that three, otherwise he would end up in D league. DJ carried this game on his muscles and I must say if there wasn't that drama in the finish this would be one of the worst basketball gamest that I have watched recently. Anyhow , at the end W/L score is the most important thing that matters and I hope that, since LAC are doing it in streaks, now maybe Clippers can connect 4 in a row.

Toldja not to worry, brother. :nod: This Milos guy knows how to play the basketball. So do DJ, Lou, and increasingly Austin.

I've never been a fan of Doc's rotations, because he pretty much doesn't have any. Play the s*** out of your 5 or 7 best guys 'til they drop as though it's a playoff game.

But tonight was different. The Agua Caliente Clippers got their minutes, but most of all Montrezl and Dekker got theirs. This was a new Doc.
Wait, what? Did you just admit that Doc does do some odd things with his lineups? That sounds more like D'Antoni though, except its more like 8-9 guys with him, or even more so like Tom Thibodeau who plays his whole starting lineup 37-40 mpg. Doc was running 5 man bench lineups with our previous teams, and I don't think this team had a starter over 35 mpg since Doc became the coach.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#42 » by MartinToVaught » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:50 pm

esqtvd wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:We’re a treadmill team dammit.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

there's something very wrong about hating on when we win, bro

You can be happy for the players and still recognize that every win hurts our future at this point. Championships > December regular-season wins in lost seasons.

We would be wise to start trading players like Gallo, Lou and DJ while their value is high. Unfortunately, it's the Clippers and we can't have nice things, so it's not going to happen. We will win just enough to be a late lottery team and probably still miss the playoffs. This franchise still can't grasp the concept of delayed gratification.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#43 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:21 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:We’re a treadmill team dammit.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

You can be happy for the players and still recognize that every win hurts our future at this point. Championships > December regular-season wins in lost seasons.

We would be wise to start trading players like Gallo, Lou and DJ while their value is high. Unfortunately, it's the Clippers and we can't have nice things, so it's not going to happen. We will win just enough to be a late lottery team and probably still miss the playoffs. This franchise still can't grasp the concept of delayed gratification.

Thank you.

Not the hardest concept.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#44 » by esqtvd » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:26 pm

I dunno, it's a bizarre and perverse life, cheering against your own team and gritting your teeth every time Austin buries a trey :-x

this is supposed to be fun
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#45 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:59 pm

I really wasn't expecting us to win this game, but I'm glad we did. Just to think what this team would be like if we were actually healthy. 2 in a row, I'm excited, sorry about us not tanking properly.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
Don Tommy
Senior
And1: 283

Post#46 » by Don Tommy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:20 am

I got to watch the last 22 seconds, and it still was enough to frustrate me. I may be wrong on the time, but there was about 9 seconds left after Miles made his wide open three. We were up two, and after the made three we called timeout. Now, we had to find a way to get the ball inbounds, and had to throw it in the back court to Dekker, who then sprinted to the midcourt line, getting fouled.

Why did we call a time out? We could have gotten the ball to Lou and let him shoot the FTs, instead we wasted our last time out only to get the ball to a lesser shooter. And then Dekker, instead of dribbling the clock out, runs to the defenders so they could foul him.

I wish we would have learned from the Jazz last year, when they gave the ball to Joe Johnson and we were scrambling to cover them. Why would a team that's up call a TO against a team that had none???
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#47 » by Neddy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:01 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Thank you.

Not the hardest concept.

Urg...

my logic says the tanking is the right path...

but my heart says I loved every second of this win!!!!!!!!!
ehhhhh f it.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#48 » by esqtvd » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:33 am

Don Tommy wrote:I got to watch the last 22 seconds, and it still was enough to frustrate me. I may be wrong on the time, but there was about 9 seconds left after Miles made his wide open three. We were up two, and after the made three we called timeout. Now, we had to find a way to get the ball inbounds, and had to throw it in the back court to Dekker, who then sprinted to the midcourt line, getting fouled.

Why did we call a time out? We could have gotten the ball to Lou and let him shoot the FTs, instead we wasted our last time out only to get the ball to a lesser shooter. And then Dekker, instead of dribbling the clock out, runs to the defenders so they could foul him.

I wish we would have learned from the Jazz last year, when they gave the ball to Joe Johnson and we were scrambling to cover them. Why would a team that's up call a TO against a team that had none???

Sounds like you care, Don Tom. Cool.

My current theory is that since we're not an actual title contender, Doc is actually giving the back of the bench their chance to learn by experience. And that means f***ing up by experience. That Dekk was out on the court at all means Doc has accepted reality.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#49 » by esqtvd » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:54 am

Neddy wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:You can be happy for the players and still recognize that every win hurts our future at this point. Championships > December regular-season wins in lost seasons.

Thank you.

Not the hardest concept.

Urg...

my logic says the tanking is the right path...

but my heart says I loved every second of this win!!!!!!!!!

Skepticism is way too easy. Any mook can skepticize. Follow your heart, bro. It ennobles a man.
Don Tommy
Senior
And1: 283

Post#50 » by Don Tommy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:51 am

esqtvd wrote:
Don Tommy wrote:I got to watch the last 22 seconds, and it still was enough to frustrate me. I may be wrong on the time, but there was about 9 seconds left after Miles made his wide open three. We were up two, and after the made three we called timeout. Now, we had to find a way to get the ball inbounds, and had to throw it in the back court to Dekker, who then sprinted to the midcourt line, getting fouled.

My current theory is that since we're not an actual title contender, Doc is actually giving the back of the bench their chance to learn by experience. And that means f***ing up by experience. That Dekk was out on the court at all means Doc has accepted reality.

This is my 29th year rooting for the Clippers, Neddy and I used to buy tickets at the old Sports Arena, always buying the worst tickets cause you knew you'd get upgraded to the lower level each time cause they needed to make the place look full! So of course I care!

To me, it's more of a coaching philosophy that 95% of pro and college coaches use. Too many timeouts in that situation. What could we have gained? TOR had no more TOs so they had to foul us right away. There was literally no strategy beyond get the ball to a good shooter!

Now, what you are talking about happened in Larry Brown's first year coaching the Clippers. Ken Norman was a bad FT shooter, but Brown picked him to shoot a technical foul shot to try and boost his confidence. That I am all for!
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#51 » by esqtvd » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:36 am

Don Tommy wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

This is my 29th year rooting for the Clippers, Neddy and I used to buy tickets at the old Sports Arena, always buying the worst tickets cause you knew you'd get upgraded to the lower level each time cause they needed to make the place look full! So of course I care!

To me, it's more of a coaching philosophy that 95% of pro and college coaches use. Too many timeouts in that situation. What could we have gained? TOR had no more TOs so they had to foul us right away. There was literally no strategy beyond get the ball to a good shooter!

Now, what you are talking about happened in Larry Brown's first year coaching the Clippers. Ken Norman was a bad FT shooter, but Brown picked him to shoot a technical foul shot to try and boost his confidence. That I am all for!

Well, we are still in that twilight zone. Although we are not genuine contenders for the Larry, the situation is exactly like the Packers with Aaron Rogers out: Keep the team afloat somehow with Blake out and hope to make a big run to qualify for the playoffs when he gets back.

Although we are already on the brink of losing the winning culture that Chris Paul [not Doc Rivers] infused into the org, we shouldn't throw it away either and play the regular season like training camp or college. Larry Brown had no choice, since he started with nothing. Now that the Chris Paul window has closed, Doc's only job is to preserve Clipper pride and that winning culture.

So far, I think he's doing his job. They're fighting, and not playing what Larry Brown called "scatterass." Once you're reduced to playing scatterass, the coach has failed.

In fact, Dekker's the only one I see playing scatterass, which bums me out because I had high hopes for him. I wanted one of those 6'9" SFs who can shoot the 3, but he can't even slob his way through PF.

We've never been in this situation before. When it came time for Larry Brown to preserve the winning culture he established, he was already gone. [In Philly too.] It's too early to say he can do it--or wants to do it--but so far Doc is doing a helluva job both encouraging the young talent and keeping them playing with pride for when the big gun makes it back.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers