Ty shoots 25% from 3
both as an LA Clipper and an Agua Caliente Clipper of Ontario

can't have shooting guards who can't shoot

I'm VERY skeptical of Sindarius
but he can D-up and hit the 3 if he's wide open

plus his contract is guaranteed

so it goes...
if neither one is in the league next year I won't be surprised
I quoted you this morning and I was going to say it depends on the team and the roster makeup, and also that he's technically a PG or PG/SG, but the Clippers matched, so nevermind.

TheNewEra wrote:Really makes no sense there will be little to no playing time for him even if injuries hit hard.

Just has to be more asset collection right now, maybe going to try and make a trade before roster has to be cut, but Wallace specifically can't be traded without his consent, so probably not him.

Evans seems like he should definitely be gone
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,805

Re: Tyrone Wallace on pros & cons of 2-way contracts 

Post#83 » by esqtvd » Thu Sep 6, 2018 3:53 am

og15 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:yes we know, Ramna

Ty shoots 25% from 3
both as an LA Clipper and an Agua Caliente Clipper of Ontario

can't have shooting guards who can't shoot

I'm VERY skeptical of Sindarius
but he can D-up and hit the 3 if he's wide open

plus his contract is guaranteed

so it goes...
if neither one is in the league next year I won't be surprised
I quoted you this morning and I was going to say it depends on the team and the roster makeup, and also that he's technically a PG or PG/SG, but the Clippers matched, so nevermind.

TheNewEra wrote:Really makes no sense there will be little to no playing time for him even if injuries hit hard.

Just has to be more asset collection right now, maybe going to try and make a trade before roster has to be cut, but Wallace specifically can't be traded without his consent, so probably not him.

Evans seems like he should definitely be gone

I'm not a sal cap deep-throat although I keep a hand in it [mostly via the estimable @LucasJHann], and frankly I never understood why the Clips didn't convert Ty's 2-way to a real NBA contract--esp if you look upthread to why he would not have put us into the lux tax.

(Except to 'tank,' of course, to miss the playoffs, make the lottery, and not have to surrender the pick [Jerome Robinson] to Boston. My pet theory. Never confirmed but never refuted either.)

(Hehe.)

Anyway, if I read this tweet correctly

Read on Twitter

the Clips will pay Ty Wallace $300,000 of Ballmer's money to come to camp and put pressure on our other 8 or 13 or whatever guards. Plus the Front Office sends a message you can't steal our players.

Frankly, I'm still a bit confused but like most of this stuff, I assume the FO has a reason behind these WTF moves with Ty.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Re: Clippers Match Tyrone Wallace's Offer Sheet 

Post#84 » by Young Sterling » Thu Sep 6, 2018 4:16 am

Drop Evans for sure. Next would be Sindarius or WeJo. I like em both... but Sind would be easier to let go.
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,296

Post#85 » by Dynamix » Thu Sep 6, 2018 5:05 am

Young Sterling wrote:Drop Evans for sure. Next would be Sindarius or WeJo. I like em both... but Sind would be easier to let go.

If someone in the front office actually makes the call to waive Sin instead of Wes, they need to be banned from basketball.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#86 » by Neddy » Thu Sep 6, 2018 5:34 am

I like it.

we are gathering cheap assets that are better than its financial obligations. what a throw-in filler for just about any trade we want to make that could make a difference going forward. not the player Ty himself, don't get that wrong, but his contract, just became the sugar and spice to any blockbuster deal for our Clips.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#87 » by Neddy » Thu Sep 6, 2018 5:35 am

Dynamix wrote:
Young Sterling wrote:Drop Evans for sure. Next would be Sindarius or WeJo. I like em both... but Sind would be easier to let go.

If someone in the front office actually makes the call to waive Sin instead of Wes, they need to be banned from basketball.

wave trade assets without even trying? good call.
ehhhhh f it.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Re: The League Doing The Clippers Work 

Post#88 » by Clemenza » Thu Sep 6, 2018 5:35 am

Wammy Giveaway wrote:By that, I mean the Clippers let another team designate the price for them. Clippers could only grant Wallace another two-way contract, way lower than the current deal the Pelicans offered. I can't help but to think this feels so much like a Donald Sterling move - let the market dictate the price for Wallace and match it by any means necessary to retain him.

It now forces the Clippers to decide once and for all with their roster. With one player over the threshold, only a buyout/stretch would do, hurting their cap space. With two, they can make a trade, taking back an expiring contract or a non-guaranteed contract while getting them set for 2019-20 season. It might even push the Clippers to make a pre-season deadline trade, which is what I think is going to ultimately happen. Get the roster down to 16, get some training camp guys, and if they make-good, trade the players on roster for cheap prospects and contracts that won't hurt their future plans.

But I still hate it. It reeks of Sterling. Aren't they supposed to be not Sterling?

What is Jerry West up to?

This is no Sterling move here. Ty is not a star player.. and we already played good organization by offering Tobais $80 million over the summer.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#89 » by esqtvd » Thu Sep 6, 2018 7:48 am

I think you're onto something. Ty earned the minutes last year over Sindarius and WeJo. Juwan gives it hell but he's athletically underpowered. And Ty is only 5 months older than Sin.

I would be in favor of dumping all 3 and keeping Ty. Meritocracy.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#90 » by QRich3 » Thu Sep 6, 2018 8:27 am

Dynamix wrote:

Someone has to play on the wing though, if/when Gallo gets injured we're left with just Tobi and Luc as pure forwards. Prepare to see a lot of Avery Bradley and Lou Williams at PF this season :noway:

All I know is now they have all this pressure to make so many trades this season, and they're gonna get a ton of crap offers for a bunch of our good/decent players that aren't gonna have enough playtime to showcase themselves. I'm not a fan of the situation they're putting themselves into by re-signing all and everyone
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#91 » by TheNewEra » Thu Sep 6, 2018 2:49 pm

Neddy wrote:
Dynamix wrote:

wave trade assets without even trying? good call.

Can’t see him as a asset when he won’t get playing time and we need his consent to trade him.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#92 » by TheNewEra » Thu Sep 6, 2018 2:54 pm

QRich3 wrote:
Dynamix wrote:

Someone has to play on the wing though, if/when Gallo gets injured we're left with just Tobi and Luc as pure forwards. Prepare to see a lot of Avery Bradley and Lou Williams at PF this season :noway:

All I know is now they have all this pressure to make so many trades this season, and they're gonna get a ton of crap offers for a bunch of our good/decent players that aren't gonna have enough playtime to showcase themselves. I'm not a fan of the situation they're putting themselves into by re-signing all and everyone

Thornwell is smaller at 6’5 but rather gamble on him than a 31 year old Wesley Johnson who has no upside. If Gallonari goes down at SF Luc/Robinson/Scott/Thornwell are going to have to hold it down
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#93 » by QRich3 » Thu Sep 6, 2018 3:05 pm

TheNewEra wrote:Thornwell is smaller at 6’5 but rather gamble on him than a 31 year old Wesley Johnson who has no upside. If Gallonari goes down at SF Luc/Robinson/Scott/Thornwell are going to have to hold it down

Yeah, definitely, in a vacuum you keep Sindarius over Wes 100% of the time, but you now have to play young guys out of position and that's not good for their development.

The thing that makes teams like Boston, San Antonio or even Utah get so much out of their rookies is not just picking well, it's giving their rookies well defined roles that stress their strengths and hide their weaknesses while they learn how to play in the league. It appears we're not gonna have that here this year, a lot of the young guys are gonna have to play out of position with teammates that don't favor their skills and don't help hide their weaknesses. It doesn't matter a lot that Jerry West helps us pick the more talented guys, if we're not gonna have a system in place for them to shine.

For that reason, it might be better to have Wes playing defense and helping stretch the floor somewhat next to Shai and Jerome, than the benefits of keeping Sin over him and have the rookies play in a 4 guard line up where everyone is trigger happy and bad at defense.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,419

Post#94 » by TrueLAfan » Thu Sep 6, 2018 3:12 pm

Sin has a 6’9” wingspan; Ty’s wingspan is 6’10”. A couple of high profile guys drafted this year—Myles Bridges has a 6’9.5” wingspan; Zhaire Smith is 6’9”. I’m not super concerned about Sin or Ty being able to stay with a lot (or most) SFs. And we’ve got Mike Scott, Luc, Tobias, and Gallo that are (definitely staying) and play at F. This isn’t counting Trezz and Johnathan Motley, both of whom can play at PF. That’s 8 guys when we really don’t need more than 6 or (at most) 7 of those guys. I would be fine with letting WeJo go, but we’re still heavy on Fs.

What matching Ty tells me is that we’re open for business and dealing, big time and now.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#95 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Sep 6, 2018 5:15 pm

Great news! Ty definitely earned the new contract and a spot on the team, despite what his haters say.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by Clemenza » Thu Sep 6, 2018 5:51 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:Great news! Ty definitely earned the new contract and a spot on the team, despite what his haters say.

Who hated on Ty?? Everyone was pissed that he didn't finish the season with the main team last year.
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Re: Tyrone Wallace on pros & cons of 2-way contracts 

Post#97 » by illastrate » Thu Sep 6, 2018 7:14 pm

Gallo, Bev, Milos and Bradley will almost certainly miss some games. That should open up some mins.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#98 » by esqtvd » Thu Sep 6, 2018 7:34 pm

Clemenza wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Great news! Ty definitely earned the new contract and a spot on the team, despite what his haters say.

Who hated on Ty?? Everyone was pissed that he didn't finish the season with the main team last year.

I was both. Ty earned whatever minutes he got over Sin and WeJo, but he's still a SG who can't shoot [25% from distance in both the NBA and G-League]. But what I hate more is giving minutes to guys who haven't earned them because of their contracts or where they were drafted, so I'm good with this.

Only Sin has even remote trade value, but we're under the cap and can still eat their contracts, so he, WeJo and Jawun are on notice. I don't want to just hand Pat Bev away for a crap pick at this point. Maybe at the end of the year, but not now. This team needs his fire and leadership. Same goes for Milos. He's the only established PG, even if a flawed one.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,807

Post#99 » by og15 » Thu Sep 6, 2018 8:24 pm

I didn't know Ty had haters, lol, but I guess it's esqtvd as the admitted only hater
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#100 » by Clemenza » Thu Sep 6, 2018 8:41 pm

esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:

I was both. Ty earned whatever minutes he got over Sin and WeJo, but he's still a SG who can't shoot [25% from distance in both the NBA and G-League]. But what I hate more is giving minutes to guys who haven't earned them because of their contracts or where they were drafted, so I'm good with this.

Only Sin has even remote trade value, but we're under the cap and can still eat their contracts, so he, WeJo and Jawun are on notice. I don't want to just hand Pat Bev away for a crap pick at this point. Maybe at the end of the year, but not now. This team needs his fire and leadership. Same goes for Milos. He's the only established PG, even if a flawed one.

Only if we can consistently get that "fire & leadership" on the court and not while he's in street clothes while on the bench and via Instagram and Twitter.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers