ImageImageImageImageImage

Lou Williams Signs 3 Yr/$24M Extension (3rd Year Fully Guaranteed 7/2/19)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,805

Re: Lou Williams Signs 3 Yr/$24M Extension ($1.5M Partial Guarantee in 3rd Year) 

Post#41 » by esqtvd » Thu Feb 8, 2018 1:41 am

mkwest wrote:
“Personally, my kids didn’t know who to root for anymore. They were confused. They walked around with Rockets shorts and Lakers jerseys. They just didn’t know what was going on. It’s nice to have that consistency, knowing you’re going to be somewhere for an extended period of time.”

It appears certain promises were made. Not a no-trade, but surely some assurance he's staying put for awhile.

As we turn over the roster, I like having a veteran guy here for continuity's sake. We have no other player over 30.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Popovich
Pro Prospect
And1: 293

Re: Lou Williams Signs 3 Yr/$24M Extension ($1.5M Partial Guarantee in 3rd Year) 

Post#42 » by Popovich » Thu Feb 8, 2018 2:37 am

This is a good move. Ok Clippers are making a new team.

I see that LAC also want to sell Jordan, they also need to get rid of Teodosic who showed to be an awfully bad player.

Because all of these changes , do you think that Clippers lost interest in playing playoffs this season?
Also it seems that LAC is making room for a huge additions? What do you think , who will be new superstar? I got some feeling that you are getting someone very special! I think you will have Lebron James?

Does anyone share my opinion ?
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#43 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Thu Feb 8, 2018 3:17 am

I'm happy that we signed Lou Williams. I did state before I thought he was going to be traded but we are keeping him with a friendly deal of $8 million per year.

Moving does suck so I'm glad that he wants to commit to us and stay with the team.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#44 » by mkwest » Thu Feb 8, 2018 5:44 am

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Replacement Image 

Post#45 » by Ranma » Thu Feb 8, 2018 6:02 am

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 704

Post#46 » by Captain Ballmer » Thu Feb 8, 2018 6:03 am

This is a great contract for us, also indicates that we'll probably have an extension on Avery Bradley too for a fair price, if there is no good offer on the table at deadline. But DJ... IDK.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (44-27)
(Russ at bench 35-14)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 3-3
Without Russ 6-6
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#47 » by QRich3 » Thu Feb 8, 2018 9:26 am

I think they should've cashed in now that his value is at his highest, and now it will never be close to this, even if he is on a decent contract. Lou is gonna regress toward his mean, these were probably the best two months of his basketball career, and by the time they try to trade him again there might not be the same assets on the table there were now.

On the other hand, if a player's playing well and he's adamant on staying, getting to the point of taking a sizeable paycut from his open market value, it's hard to say no to him.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#48 » by TucsonClip » Thu Feb 8, 2018 3:14 pm

QRich3 wrote:I think they should've cashed in now that his value is at his highest, and now it will never be close to this, even if he is on a decent contract. Lou is gonna regress toward his mean, these were probably the best two months of his basketball career, and by the time they try to trade him again there might not be the same assets on the table there were now.

On the other hand, if a player's playing well and he's adamant on staying, getting to the point of taking a sizeable paycut from his open market value, it's hard to say no to him.

The question is, what assets were on the table? Seems likely nobody was offering a first for him. Lakers got the rockets #1 last year with a year left on Lou's deal. That's exactly what his deal looks like next deadline, and at a similar salary.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by QRich3 » Thu Feb 8, 2018 3:23 pm

TucsonClip wrote:
QRich3 wrote:I think they should've cashed in now that his value is at his highest, and now it will never be close to this, even if he is on a decent contract. Lou is gonna regress toward his mean, these were probably the best two months of his basketball career, and by the time they try to trade him again there might not be the same assets on the table there were now.

The question is, what assets were on the table? Seems likely nobody was offering a first for him. Lakers got the rockets #1 last year with a year left on Lou's deal. That's exactly what his deal looks like next deadline, and at a similar salary.

I don't know, Stein, Woj and Lowe all said there was more interest in Lou than DJ, and that Tyreke would only be moved once Lou was off the market cause everyone preferred to get Lou. So I guess we're about to find out for how much those guys go for, and get a rough idea of what could have been on the table for Lou.

My only grip is we're assuming an unnecessary risk, what if he gets injured, or what if he never gets back to his recent level. His deal could very much end up being neutral or negative value, even with the discount he took.

But overall, I'm cool with the decision, even if it wouldn't have been my first choice.
Ranma
RealGM

Whatcha Talkin' About, Willis?! 

Post#50 » by Ranma » Thu Feb 8, 2018 3:27 pm

Even if he isn't eventually dealt, Lou Williams is the type of instant offense off the bench that would make our team dangerous as not only providing a sparkplug on the second unit but also adds to the depth that we've sorely lacked under Doc's command of the front office.

I don't get how anyone could be arguing against this deal. He's a better version of Jamal Crawford who's on a much better contract and, as TucsonClip pointed out, is an even more valuable trade commodity moving forward compared to when he was previously moved as Laker, both as a player and contract. On top of all that, he actually cherishes being a Clipper.

I swear the peanut gallery here always has something peculiar. If it's not an unwillingness to deal Griffin for Towns, it's complaining about Lou-Will being signed to a team-friendly deal.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#51 » by TucsonClip » Thu Feb 8, 2018 3:28 pm

QRich3 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:

I don't know, Stein, Woj and Lowe all said there was more interest in Lou than DJ, and that Tyreke would only be moved once Lou was off the market cause everyone preferred to get Lou. So I guess we're about to find out for how much those guys go for, and get a rough idea of what could have been on the table for Lou.

My only grip is we're assuming an unnecessary risk, what if he gets injured, or what if he never gets back to his recent level. His deal could very much end up being neutral or negative value, even with the discount he took.

But overall, I'm cool with the decision, even if it wouldn't have been my first choice.

Yeah, I mean odds are he regresses back to the mean here. Either way, I think it's a good deal, and I was not on board with paying him. I do enjoy us punting his trade value down the road to see what happens this summer and next deadline. Seems likely we can still pick up a couple 2nds for him this time next year.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by QRich3 » Thu Feb 8, 2018 3:36 pm

Yeah, definitely, it's a worthwhile risk and a decent bet on the market stabilising back next year. I still think next year the cap is gonna be higher than projected, and everyone's holding on to their money and picks expecting it to be low because it was low last year. But last year there were unique circumstances with the postseason being too short that I don't think will happen again. So my bet is this time next year, the trend will be that all of these recent contracts are too cheap and very valuable, and with that in mind, keeping Lou would be a good idea. Could be those two seconds or could be a late lottery pick if everything goes right, and taking into account our current situation, I guess now's the moment to play those odds.
Ranma
RealGM

Sweet Lou Coming Up Clutch for Clips 

Post#53 » by Ranma » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:54 pm

Read on Twitter

Andrew Greif, Los Angeles Times (11/16/18)
For Clippers guard Patrick Beverley, playing defense is a test of wills.

His job, as he sees it, is to push his opponent toward the moment when they feel it is not their night and disengage. Sometimes it happens quickly. Sometimes it takes 48 minutes. Eventually, though, every scorer breaks.

There’s just one caveat, he said. You can pressure his Clippers teammate Lou Williams all you want. You can even lock him down, frustrate him and keep him from scoring. Nothing keeps the 14-year veteran from believing in his ability to score.

“He’s the most patient scorer I ever played with, played against,” Beverley said. “Those are usually the best players, players that can’t be rattled. He’ll miss a few. Next thing you know he’ll have 12, 13, 14 in the fourth and end up with 23, 24 points on a good night. Hit game-winners, hit floaters. Really can’t stop his shot.”

Williams made only three of his 16 shots entering overtime against Golden State but Rivers stuck with him because he knew the off-shooting night wouldn’t cause Williams to hesitate. Only the Lakers’ LeBron James has averaged more fourth-quarter points this season, 8.2 to Williams’ 8.1.

Clippers’ Lou Williams in a Very Elite Group, According to Doc Rivers and Patrick Beverley
Ranma
RealGM

Lou's Love Life Not So Sweet 

Post#54 » by Ranma » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:44 pm

Lou Williams famously goes from having two girlfriends to none now purportedly due to an affair with Drake, who previously rapped about the polyamorous relationship.

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Lou & Maya 

Post#55 » by Ranma » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:59 pm

Read on Twitter
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#56 » by mkwest » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:08 am

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Lou Happy to Be a Clipper 

Post#57 » by Ranma » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:06 pm

Read on Twitter
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#58 » by Vae Victus » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:09 pm

I was utterly shocked at bargain of a deal this was.

Such a 180 degree deal in cap management competence compared to the ridiculous deals given to Crawful and Kid Rivers.

I wonder if a promise was made by the Logo that he wouldnt trade Lou Will if he took a discount. Cuz if the Clips hit a homerun and nab KD/Kawhi... i'd want the Logo to go for the trifecta and trade for AD and use Lou Will as part of the package to build up salary filler.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#59 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:47 pm

I think he's worth more to us as a Clipper than as a trade piece. He's got a lot of value to the right teams, less so for rebuilding teams.
Ranma
RealGM

Unconventional Methods of Preparation 

Post#60 » by Ranma » Sat Jun 1, 2019 7:14 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Clippers