Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

KXKriszna
Ballboy
And1: 8

Re: Kawhi Leonard? 

Post#161 » by KXKriszna » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:14 am

mkwest wrote:
KXKriszna wrote:Just a quick question.
We are talking about getting Kawhi for both our picks.
But there is a rule saying that we MUST have a pick in this year's first round (if I'm correct)
So are we expecting Spurs to give us Kawhi + 18?? It seems like we would have to give much more for Spurs to accept that offer.
Or do you think there will be a 3rd team involved with pick later in first round?

The Clippers would draft for the Spurs and then finalize the trade. By drafting at 12, the Clippers fulfill their obligation to the Stepien rule and are free to trade the draft rights of 12 & 13.

That means that the fact that we draft two players today is not going to mean that we are keeping them? We can easily trade them later this offseason?
That sucks a bit bc I don't want to get myself hyped for them just to see them go a month later without playing even a minute for us...
but if Jerry West thinks it's a good idea than it must be a good idea...
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,290

Post#162 » by nickhx2 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:48 am

the trade would happen on draft night, after the picks actually occur.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#163 » by mkwest » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:58 am

KXKriszna wrote:That means that the fact that we draft two players today is not going to mean that we are keeping them? We can easily trade them later this offseason?
That sucks a bit bc I don't want to get myself hyped for them just to see them go a month later without playing even a minute for us...

As TucsonClip said, only the future matters with draft picks. After a player is drafted, then the pick distinction disappears. We would hold a player's draft rights.

In a trade, a player's draft rights is equal to $0 in value. For the holder of the draft rights, there is a cap hold against team salary for the upcoming season. Once a drafted player is signed, he cannot be traded for 30 days.

In other words, if the Spurs were to agree to a trade with us prior to the draft, the Clippers would select who the Spurs want with our picks (which means that we don't violate the Stepien rule of having no first rounders in consecutive years) and the trade would be finalized later that night.

If the Clippers don't agree to a trade prior to drafting, then we are drafting for ourselves with the intention of keeping them.
KXKriszna
Ballboy

Post#164 » by KXKriszna » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:06 am

mkwest wrote:
KXKriszna wrote:That means that the fact that we draft two players today is not going to mean that we are keeping them? We can easily trade them later this offseason?

As TucsonClip said, only the future matters with draft picks. After a player is drafted, then the pick distinction disappears. We would hold a player's draft rights.

In a trade, a player's draft rights is equal to $0 in value. For the holder of the draft rights, there is a cap hold against team salary for the upcoming season. Once a drafted player is signed, he cannot be traded for 30 days.

In other words, if the Spurs were to agree to a trade with us prior to the draft, the Clippers would select who the Spurs want with our picks (which means that we don't violate the Stepien rule of having no first rounders in consecutive years) and the trade would be finalized later that night.

If the Clippers don't agree to a trade prior to drafting, then we are drafting for ourselves with the intention of keeping them.

That's great. So we will know where we're at no later than tomorrow. Either it's Kawhi, two picks, or trading up it all goes down today/tomorrow.
Next 48h (even less) are going to be amazing
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,290

Post#165 » by nickhx2 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:06 am

or very boring lol
KXKriszna
Ballboy

Post#166 » by KXKriszna » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:44 am

nickhx2 wrote:or very boring lol

The pure fact of Draft happening in 15h makes this time extremely exciting for me.
But that's just me :wink:
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,242

Post#167 » by wco81 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:09 am

Would they do a trade without doing a medical exam on KL first?
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#168 » by esqtvd » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:30 am

FTR I don't want Kawhi at anywhere near the price he will command. He is not a leader. He's weird.

I'm fine with throwing away the 11 or 12 to get a DeRozan so we don't completly suck. I am no way good with mortgaging our future for a weirdo.

And I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the reports that Jerry West is leading the Clipper charge to get Kawhi is...

heh heh, fake news. Maybe "leaked" just to mess everyone else up.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
KXKriszna
Ballboy

Post#169 » by KXKriszna » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:47 am

esqtvd wrote:FTR I don't want Kawhi at anywhwere near the price he will command. He is not a leader. He's weird.
I am no way good with mortgaging our future for a weirdo.

Calling him a weirdo isn't a cool thing to do considering what actually made him act like that and what happened to him in the past...
He is not a leader I agree, but let's not descend to insulting him just bc he is silent.

I'm not happy with us chasing after him either, but the fact that he is not a leader but is an amazing player can actually be a good thing.
When we eventually get a true leader there won't be any problem with Kawhi saying that this is "his" team.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#170 » by esqtvd » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:00 am

KXKriszna wrote:
esqtvd wrote:FTR I don't want Kawhi at anywhwere near the price he will command. He is not a leader. He's weird.
I am no way good with mortgaging our future for a weirdo.

Calling him a weirdo isn't a cool thing to do considering what actually made him act like that and what happened to him in the past...
He is not a leader I agree, but let's not descend to insulting him just bc he is silent.

oh gimme a break bruh
don't PC me
just don't, OK?

I'm sure Kawhi's a very nice person
but put on the scale of sports-weird

in the context of being a teammate and team member, in the context of trading our entire future for him
what he's done is world-class weird

so I don't want him on the Clippers
speaking either as a fan or teammate

if the man doesn't want to play for personal/injury reasons, OK, I can hang with that
but show up to the arena in a suit and cheer on your team
which is paying you $19M US dollars to do nothing

weirdo
I don't want him
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#171 » by QRich3 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:59 am

I think it's weirder to be this judgemental on a situation none of us really have a clue about, other than vague 3rd hand reports, some gossip, and a lot of assumptions.

Kawhi's injury is supposed to be very similar to the quad injury Blake had, only with some more long term risk. People love to laugh at Blake's decline and how overpaid he is and stuff, I wouldn't blame anyone for trying to take control of his career and avoid getting to that situation.

But realistically, I don't want Kawhi either.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#172 » by mkwest » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:56 pm

Read on Twitter
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#173 » by mttwlsn16 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:52 pm

Good. F the lakers

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Closing the Door on Negotiations 

Post#174 » by Ranma » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:48 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Reported Perspectives from Both Sides 

Post#175 » by Ranma » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:54 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Another Last Resort at the Alamo 

Post#176 » by Ranma » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:29 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#177 » by mkwest » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:14 am

Read on Twitter

:sigh:
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#178 » by esqtvd » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:42 am

mkwest wrote:
Read on Twitter

:sigh:

weird

Bowen said during the radio interview, "First, it was, 'Well, I was misdiagnosed.' Look here: You got $18 million this year, and you think that they're trying to rush you? You didn't play for the most part a full season this year. And you're the go-to guy, you're the franchise, and you want to say that they didn't have your best interest at heart? Are you kidding me?"

"Not one time has Kawhi come out and said anything to the effect of, 'You know what, hey, I really enjoy being in San Antonio.' Or, 'I can't stand what's going on here in San Antonio,'" Bowen added. "Not one time has he said anything."

"As a player, if I'm a leader of a team, my team goes on the road in the playoffs, I'm with my guys," Bowen said. "Because that's what it's all about. It's about camaraderie. It's about fellowship. It's a brotherhood. When that didn't happen, it's all kinds of sirens and alarm signals that says to me, 'Is this person fully vested?' ... I don't want to take on a player who's not willing to support his guys during the course of their time needing him."

"I think he's getting bad advice," Bowen said. "I think what you're starting to see now is an individual given a certain amount of advice, and it's not the right advice."
Ranma
RealGM

Spurs Going Petty Route 

Post#179 » by Ranma » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:19 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#180 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:34 pm

The Spurs aren't being petty, they're being smart. You can't set a precedent to your current and future players that they can quit on their team while under contract and still get their way.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers