The Board Man Cometh!! Kawhi Leonard Signs 3 Year (2+1), $103 Million Deal

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Haynes Doesn't Think Kawhi was Coming Back to Toronto 

Post#1721 » by Ranma » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:29 am

Read on Twitter

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Re: Yet Another Example of Lakers Fans' Natural Troll State 

Post#1722 » by illastrate » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:49 am

Cupcake17 wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
mickie wrote:
i'm a Raptors fan and i thought i've seen the most dillusional fans ever in Raptorland but you my friend are beyond that. :crazy:

Welcome to what we have to deal with all the time. Laker fans are insane.

I will be back to collect my receipts in a few days. I tried to tell you all. Instead, I get insulted and am told I am insane.

About those receipts...
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Re: Doc Provides Backstory on Pursuit of Kawhi 

Post#1723 » by NippySudz » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:16 am

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I really hate how the media plays amnesia. Ramona shelburne said on an episode of the jump and also in an article she wrote thatKawhi called Kevin Durant Citing:

Then Durant got a call from Kawhi Leonard, asking if he'd consider teaming up with him and signing with the LA Clippers. They'd be great complements to each other, Leonard told Durant. He'd always admired him and had tremendous respect for him as a competitor.

Durant was flattered and more than a little stunned, according to sources close to the situation. He didn't know Leonard that well, so getting a recruiting call like that made a real impression.

Now they're pretending like There was no rumblings of Kawhi trying to lure players to LAC and that the clippers just got them both, fair and square. Cut the BS.

It's so weird what stories the media run with. Woj refuted Markazi report on his podcast and it got no traction on ESPN and he's pretty much been the go-to guy for clippers.

I'm not angry at kawhi colluding with paul george. The whole league was tampering this summer. I'm just annoyed with how the media likes to have selective memory and run narratives that insult the readers/consumers.

Like the nets GM saying that KD showed up and signed a contract without ever having a meeting or sitdown, No negotiation. Nothing. Again, stop the BS.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,687

Re: The Board Man Cometh!! Kawhi Leonard Signs 3 Year (2+1), $103 Million Deal 

Post#1725 » by KL2 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:10 am

Wasn’t sure where to stick this. Searching the board for the Kawhi vs Nike (which he lost) logo lawsuit brought me back to this thread repeatedly.

Looks like he has a new klaw logo of some sort on his shoe.

Read on Twitter
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,235

Post#1726 » by wco81 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:09 am

Clippers are not out of the playoffs yet but they're down 3-1 and their two best players may not play again before the first round is over.

This thread just turned 5 years old and this is the fourth season since Kawhi and PG13 arrived.

Lot of injuries, a pandemic and the end result is a WCF appearance.

I think expectations were much higher in the summer of 2019 when they arrived.

In stretches though Kahwi has been one of the best players in the NBA, especially the last couple dozen games, into the first 2 games of this series.

But for all the load management and rehab, it remains to be seen if KL and PG13 can lead the Clippers to titles.

In July 2024, they will both have player options for almost $49 million. KL will just have turned 33 and PG13 will be 34 in May 2024.

I think nobody questioned the moves in the summer of 2019, especially the big trade with OKC which brought the Clippers PG13. But this season, SGA is looking like an MVP candidate and OKC still has a claim on many of the Clippers draft assets for a few years.

Ballmer can write big checks, give both of them max deals. I don't know if either made all-NBA or all-defense since joining the Clippers so they may not be eligible for Super Max. But they're 10 year vets so they will take up big chunks of the salary cap if they extend.

Do the Clippers extend them some time before the start of next season, hope for better health in the next 2-3 seasons at least?

Do they have a choice?

Without draft assets, they can't really start a rebuild or tank for high lotto picks either.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#1727 » by esqtvd » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:16 am

wco81 wrote:Clippers are not out of the playoffs yet but they're down 3-1 and their two best players may not play again before the first round is over.

This thread just turned 5 years old and this is the fourth season since Kawhi and PG13 arrived.

In stretches though Kahwi has been one of the best players in the NBA, especially the last couple dozen games, into the first 2 games of this series.

But for all the load management and rehab, it remains to be seen if KL and PG13 can lead the Clippers to titles.

In July 2024, they will both have player options for almost $49 million. KL will just have turned 33 and PG13 will be 34 in May 2024.

I think nobody questioned the moves in the summer of 2019, especially the big trade with OKC which brought the Clippers PG13. But this season, SGA is looking like an MVP candidate and OKC still has a claim on many of the Clippers draft assets for a few years.

Ballmer can write big checks, give both of them max deals. I don't know if either made all-NBA or all-defense since joining the Clippers so they may not be eligible for Super Max. But they're 10 year vets so they will take up big chunks of the salary cap if they extend.

Do the Clippers extend them some time before the start of next season, hope for better health in the next 2-3 seasons at least?

Do they have a choice?

Without draft assets, they can't really start a rebuild or tank for high lotto picks either.

Necessary Info: KL and PG can opt out Summer 2024. Ballmer could be left empty-handed for the opening of Ballerdome in Fall 2024 if he doesn't deal them first.

PG might disclose his future intentions to the org but Kawhi doesn't even tell the team if he's playing tonight until like 3 PM. Or even that he's not playing the second half of a game in progress.

https://www.si.com/nba/clippers/news/russell-westbrook-reacts-to-kawhi-leonard-resting-second-half-vs-grizzlies

Ballmer is so f***ed. Paid $150 million in luxury tax this year and might end up with nothing but a first-round exit and his d**k in his hand.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#1728 » by Captain Ballmer » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:47 am

With the way things fall last years.. Are we even sure Kawhi will seek an extesion in 2024 summer for his age 34 season? Early retirement wouldn't surprise me at all at this point.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
wco81
RealGM

Post#1729 » by wco81 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:25 am

Where would they opt out to?

Not many teams could afford the kind of money they’d be opting out of, never mind give them probably a $200 million or more contract.

Clippers and who else? Only teams with cap space aren’t playoffs teams.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,400

Post#1730 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:30 pm

wco81 wrote:Clippers are not out of the playoffs yet but they're down 3-1 and their two best players may not play again before the first round is over.

Do they have a choice?

PG made the all star team this season and Kawhi made it his 1st season with the team
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,951

Post#1731 » by Bobbymcgee » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:39 pm

There's no way the Clippers should even be considering rewarding either Leonard or George with an extension till they deliver a title.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#1732 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:31 pm

Hopefully Dallas can keep their pick this year.

Send Kawhi to Dallas for their pick n tell Cuban that this is his best chance at a ring and keeping Luka?

I’m open to other ideas includibg Kawhi or Uncle Dennis paying for the $50k tampering fine and buying us a draft pick since they demanded we trade for George Paul.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 533

Post#1733 » by Kelphus » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:31 pm

OK, yes, I know technically the season is not over. Clippers wouldn't be the first team to come back from 1-3. But without both our original stars, fuggedabowdit, it's not happening.

So, yes, I agree, it's time to talk about next year.

For me, there are so many facets to this season's (yet another) disappointment. We were picked by most teams as a contender for NBA finals.

BUT -
Kawhi missed months of season at beginning, then sat out many games after returning.
PG13 played most of the season like a stud, only to have that hyperextension late in the regular season.

The LA Cripples limp on again for the zillionth time (remember Danny Manning?)

For me, the biggest waste was the talent of Westbrook. He played his guts out for this team, at basically no cost, and was more than we expected or maybe even more than hoped for. Now he will go on and make huge bucks somewhere else as he winds down his career.

I agree, I don't think Ballmer wants to blow up the team, not one year before going to Intuit, but Kawhi and PG13 can do that without his permission and use their options to bolt out the door.

Four years with Kawhi, and the fourth year ending with a sick feeling in my gut.

I know some posters will blame Lu - what is he supposed to do if he only has a healthy starting roster for, what, maybe 1/3 the season?

My fantasy is for PG13 and Kawhi to come back in game 5 and trigger a 3-game sweet of the Shuns. Fantasies are fun... until you wake up.
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,725

Post#1734 » by madmaxmedia » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:43 pm

esqtvd wrote:Necessary Info: KL and PG can opt out Summer 2024. Ballmer could be left empty-handed for the opening of Ballerdome in Fall 2024 if he doesn't deal them first.

PG might disclose his future intentions to the org but Kawhi doesn't even tell the team if he's playing tonight until like 3 PM. Or even that he's not playing the second half of a game in progress.

https://www.si.com/nba/clippers/news/russell-westbrook-reacts-to-kawhi-leonard-resting-second-half-vs-grizzlies

Ballmer is so f***ed. Paid $150 million in luxury tax this year and might end up with nothing but a first-round exit and his d**k in his hand.

Kawhi is the better player, but Paul George is much more predictable on multiple levels. Until missing the last 2 games, Kawhi probably had better trade value too. What is either player worth in a trade now? Less than what we gave up but how much less?

I'd trade one if the other commits to staying, though I doubt Kawhi would ever really commit though.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,400

Post#1735 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:23 am

Kelphus wrote:OK, yes, I know technically the season is not over. Clippers wouldn't be the first team to come back from 1-3. But without both our original stars, fuggedabowdit, it's not happening.

For me, there are so many facets to this season's (yet another) disappointment. We were picked by most teams as a contender for NBA finals.

BUT -
Kawhi missed months of season at beginning, then sat out many games after returning.
PG13 played most of the season like a stud, only to have that hyperextension late in the regular season.

For me, the biggest waste was the talent of Westbrook. He played his guts out for this team, at basically no cost, and was more than we expected or maybe even more than hoped for. Now he will go on and make huge bucks somewhere else as he winds down his career.

I agree, I don't think Ballmer wants to blow up the team, not one year before going to Intuit, but Kawhi and PG13 can do that without his permission and use their options to bolt out the door.

Four years with Kawhi, and the fourth year ending with a sick feeling in my gut.

I know some posters will blame Lu - what is he supposed to do if he only has a healthy starting roster for, what, maybe 1/3 the season?

My fantasy is for PG13 and Kawhi to come back in game 5 and trigger a 3-game sweet of the Shuns. Fantasies are fun... until you wake up.

I doubt any team will shell out a big contract for Westbrook as he struggles to fit on most teams. He has shown he can fit with most of the Clipper line ups though, so he may be willing to play with the Clippers for a reasonable contract.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1736 » by esqtvd » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:59 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
Kelphus wrote:OK, yes, I know technically the season is not over. Clippers wouldn't be the first team to come back from 1-3. But without both our original stars, fuggedabowdit, it's not happening.

BUT -

I doubt any team will shell out a big contract for Westbrook as he struggles to fit on most teams. He has shown he can fit with most of the Clipper line ups though, so he may be willing to play with the Clippers for a reasonable contract.

Russell Westbrook has made over $300M in his NBA career. From what I understand, he has always wanted to end up in LA--he grew up in South Central and went to UCLA after all. He owns a $30M mansion in Brentwood.

It makes no sense to go anywhere else. He doesn't need the money. If he makes it to 2024, the new arena is 10 minutes from his house. :wink:
wco81
RealGM

Post#1737 » by wco81 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:09 am

I think if the Clippers had any sense that either or both might leave, they'd have tried to trade one or both.

Now it's really in the hands of these players.

There are only two teams which have the cap space to sign one of them.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/

OKC has almost $85.5 million. They could probably shed salaries to fit both for $100 million combined?

Houston has $47.2 million and they have been talking about giving Harden a lot of money.

I don't see either of these players signing with either of these teams. OKC has a bright future but why would Kahwi leave LA for OKC? And PG13 go back there with his tail between his legs?

On a sign and trade teams would have to send a ton of players back or maybe those with max contracts. Around the league who wants to get rid of a max player, maybe the Wizards with Beal?

Do either of them want to go to a non-playoffs team, in a smaller market?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1738 » by esqtvd » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:42 am

wco81 wrote:I think if the Clippers had any sense that either or both might leave, they'd have tried to trade one or both.

Now it's really in the hands of these players.

There are only two teams which have the cap space to sign one of them.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/

OKC has almost $85.5 million. They could probably shed salaries to fit both for $100 million combined?

Houston has $47.2 million and they have been talking about giving Harden a lot of money.

I don't see either of these players signing with either of these teams. OKC has a bright future but why would Kahwi leave LA for OKC? And PG13 go back there with his tail between his legs?

On a sign and trade teams would have to send a ton of players back or maybe those with max contracts. Around the league who wants to get rid of a max player, maybe the Wizards with Beal?

Do either of them want to go to a non-playoffs team, in a smaller market?

A lot can happen in a year. Tobias Harris's contract expires at the same time and if Harden leaves Philly this summer, the Sixers would jump on either one. The T-Wolves would move heaven and earth to get either one. Atlanta could be a very desirable landing spot if they build around Trae and clean house otherwise. And don't count out Riley and the Heat: Lowry's on his last year and Bam and Herro are a bit overpaid but dealable to make room.

If I'm reading 'PROJECTED PRACTICAL CAP SPACE**' on this chart right, there are a number of teams that could accommodate one of them with a little or even no shuffling.

** denotes cap space with cap holds renounced if team salary was below the cap maximum. Assumes veteran club options declined and non-guaranteed players released.

2024-25

1 Houston Rockets $143,000,000
2 Orlando Magic $131,050,000
3 Detroit Pistons $125,751,326
4 Utah Jazz $118,850,000
5 Toronto Raptors $112,261,429
6 San Antonio Spurs $111,350,000
7 Indiana Pacers $108,800,660
8 Charlotte Hornets $104,955,874
9 Oklahoma City Thunder $83,971,050
10 Philadelphia 76ers $80,809,000
11 Washington Wizards $79,401,910
12 Sacramento Kings $78,444,523
13 Chicago Bulls $75,572,712
14 Brooklyn Nets $64,438,876
15 Dallas Mavericks $61,367,536
16 Los Angeles Lakers $49,128,560
17 Minnesota Timberwolves $49,122,413
18 Memphis Grizzlies $48,277,503
19 New York Knicks $47,609,414
20 Portland Trail Blazers $41,876,435
21 Cleveland Cavaliers $38,803,998

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/2024/
wco81
RealGM

Post#1739 » by wco81 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:31 am

I thought Kawhi had too much of a personal leash to Socal o want to go elsewhere.

From the POV of both, the Clippers have been very accommodating to them.

They have no reason to feel they've been mistreated, want to look elsewhere.

Their supporting cast has played their hearts out the last two games.

Now they could be ring chasers but if Ballmer is willing to give them $200 million extensions which would take them well past their mid '30s, why would they leave?

But the question for the team is, what's the alternate path of not re-signing both?

How many more draft assets do they owe OKC? According to this they have FRPs for 2024 and 2026 but OKC could swap in 2025. They have the FRPs for the rest of the decade from 2027 on.

Their SRPs are really tied up.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/team

So they have every incentive to contend for at least through 2026, that is the 2025-26 season, that is the next 3 seasons.

I don't suppose they'd settle for 3 year extensions instead of 4 years.

One of the Clippers strengths is Ballmer's wealth so might as well put off the start of any rebuild for at least 3 more seasons.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#1740 » by Captain Ballmer » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:05 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
esqtvd wrote:Necessary Info: KL and PG can opt out Summer 2024. Ballmer could be left empty-handed for the opening of Ballerdome in Fall 2024 if he doesn't deal them first.

Kawhi is the better player, but Paul George is much more predictable on multiple levels. Until missing the last 2 games, Kawhi probably had better trade value too. What is either player worth in a trade now? Less than what we gave up but how much less?

I'd trade one if the other commits to staying, though I doubt Kawhi would ever really commit though.

Unfortunately, trading Kawhi has more than one downside, so that will be huge challange for any party involved with. First is his injury history obviously, second is he has only 1 year left in his contract so there is always a rental risks with his potential to become a diva on where to play. He will be a 12 mounts mercenary for most of the league. The value Spurs get in Raptors trade realisticly a good option, an inferior All-star(Derozan) plus a center in his rookie contract(Poeltl) with future 1st. But Toronto gave those package for a younger, healthier version of Kawhi with the promise of maybe he's sticking with them after one year. So I don't think we can get that type of package. Anything less than that is really worth it?

PG though? I don't think we can get any type of promising young player in return. More likely some smaller 2-3 contract players who don't really move the needle with attached heavily protected 2-3 first rd picks likely in 25th range? Only if we find a good deal for Kawhi I'm OK to send PG as well for that type of return.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6

Return to Los Angeles Clippers