QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Re: Kawhi Leonard? 

Post#521 » by QRich3 » Thu May 9, 2019 12:05 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:She is.
So was Ballmer. People learn.

Don't think they're comparable at all. Ballmer didn't know how to run a basketball team specifically, but he was experienced in running a big business and knew all the concepts about hiring the right executives and empowering them. Whatever you think about his past acumen, he had the right attitude and the right experience. His biggest mistake was empowering the wrong person in Doc, but that's a mistake most people would make coming in as outsiders, and he learned from it at the first turn. Jeannie doesn't have that experience, and more importantly, the attitude to recognize how to look for the right guy, or supporting him in the long term. She seems way too immersed in her romanticized idea of "Laker culture" and more interested in silly things, like controlling the news cycle, than in the actual work of running a basketball team. Remember Dolan also pledged to stay away from basketball operations -and has kept his word for the most part- and yet the tone he sets still pours to the rest of the organization.

I don't see how she'd be able to pry one of the big names like Ujiri, Presti or Buford from another organization, with the way they're portraying themselves. And even if she lucks into a competent guy, like say they hire Hinkie and give him full power, I'm sure they'd find a way to get in the middle of it. Very rarely a team finds sustainable success with a bad owner at the top. Very very rarely. Success always starts at the top, or dies quickly if you stumble into it.

But mostly, it doesn't seem like they're close to being able to spot what makes a good basketball executive and what doesn't.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#522 » by mkwest » Thu May 9, 2019 10:45 pm

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#523 » by Quake Griffin » Thu May 9, 2019 10:48 pm

QRich3 wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:She is.
So was Ballmer. People learn.

Don't think they're comparable at all. Ballmer didn't know how to run a basketball team specifically, but he was experienced in running a big business and knew all the concepts about hiring the right executives and empowering them. Whatever you think about his past acumen, he had the right attitude and the right experience. His biggest mistake was empowering the wrong person in Doc, but that's a mistake most people would make coming in as outsiders, and he learned from it at the first turn. Jeannie doesn't have that experience, and more importantly, the attitude to recognize how to look for the right guy, or supporting him in the long term. She seems way too immersed in her romanticized idea of "Laker culture" and more interested in silly things, like controlling the news cycle, than in the actual work of running a basketball team. Remember Dolan also pledged to stay away from basketball operations -and has kept his word for the most part- and yet the tone he sets still pours to the rest of the organization.

I don't see how she'd be able to pry one of the big names like Ujiri, Presti or Buford from another organization, with the way they're portraying themselves. And even if she lucks into a competent guy, like say they hire Hinkie and give him full power, I'm sure they'd find a way to get in the middle of it. Very rarely a team finds sustainable success with a bad owner at the top. Very very rarely. Success always starts at the top, or dies quickly if you stumble into it.

But mostly, it doesn't seem like they're close to being able to spot what makes a good basketball executive and what doesn't.

Dolan's experienced in running a big business. Not sure what that has to do with anything.
And you are pretty much stuck with the "whatever you think about his past acumen" line. So don't turn this into a who was a more successful CEO conversation. I truly don't care.

Bobby Pelinka and HIV breh are Jeannie's first picks as well.
Not sure how one can give Ballmer more of an excuse than her but....whatever's clever.

You can't see it...but I can.
Blank Check. Control. Move everybody out of their way. It's a very simple pitch.

Her eventually screwing it up has nothing to do with this thread or this topic.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#524 » by QRich3 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:26 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Blank Check. Control. Move everybody out of their way. It's a very simple pitch.

That's what Dolan did. Hasn't worked so far. You need to hire the right people for that to work, and you need to know what you're doing for that to happen. If "I'll just give a blank check to Ujiri or Buford" was a viable option, every other team would've done it already. Those guys will probably not want to move from their situations and would only move to a stable environment, which is not the case here.

Not sure I understand the rest of your points, but my main point is, bad owners will have bad results, even if they stumble into a good front office that builds a good team. Sarver in the 00's being another example. Ballmer being a very good owner and Buss being a pretty bad one. Not overly excited about debating the why of that last sentence, but that's a pretty clear statement in most people's minds. It certainly is for me.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#525 » by Quake Griffin » Fri May 10, 2019 1:32 pm

It’s what good owners do, so......

Not every team is the Lakers.

The point is that Jeanie could stumble into a good FO mind. I never made any representations that she’d do anything with it.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#526 » by MartinToVaught » Fri May 10, 2019 5:53 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:It’s what good owners do, so......

And it's not what the Lakers do. They wouldn't even let Lue pick his own staff. A GM coming into that organization with total control is impossible when there are so many other people with their own agendas involved, from Jeanie herself to Kurt and Linda Rambis to Rich Paul to LaVar Ball.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#527 » by Quake Griffin » Fri May 10, 2019 7:25 pm

Agreed (didn’t see that on the last page?)
Dumb owners do dumb things.

They stay dumb owners until they’re not dumb owners anymore and do smart things.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,225

Post#528 » by Clemenza » Fri May 10, 2019 9:17 pm

The Lakers situation is easily fixable if they hired a POBO and dump Palinka for a new GM but in their current state it just won't happen. Too many cooks in the kitchen with their own agenda. I heard Jeannie and Palinka were in agreement to hire Lue but the Rambis duo didn't like the hire so its been nixed as for now. How strange is that. Then Bron and Klutch Sports have their own agenda and its nothing but a huge power struggle. Bron and his camp loves control like they had in Cleveland but that went out the window when Magic stepped down and quit. Its nothing but a huge mess across the hall at Staple
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,428

Post#529 » by TrueLAfan » Fri May 10, 2019 10:08 pm

Jeanie Buss has been involved with the Lakers for close to three decades; hell, she first became a member of the NBA Board of Governors in 1995. Put it this way; half of our rotation players weren’t born when she got that position … and that position was a result of her influence and role with the Lakers. Steve Ballmer had no executive or advisory position with any NBA team before purchasing the Clippers in 2014. They are nothing alike.

Are the Lakers a front office hire away from not being dysfunctional? Yes. Technically. If the front office person is:

- Capable
- Experienced
- Has control over basketball decisions
- Is also a top level coach
- Can deal with LeBron James
- Gets along well with the current roster

Then, sure. The Lakers are one person away. Problem is, I don’t really see any one person that can do all of that. Maybe two or three good people, but not one. People are throwing around Masao Ujiri’s name; there’s absolutely no reason to think he would suddenly make the Lakers immediately attractive for a coach. Look at the names being mentioned now for the Lakers position. They’re second level. There’s no indication Pelinka is going anywhere. There’s no indication that the locker room issues that were caused by LeBron and Magic are forgotten. Those things will take time to fix.

So, yeah, if the Lakers could hire a person that was a POBO/Coach/GM and smooth out the locker room issues in, oh, the next three months—then they’re a hire away. Realistically, they’re a dumpster fire. To be clear, I totally think the Lakers will turn it around. I don’t think Jeanie Buss is an idiot. I think the Lakers will return to being a conference, if not league, contender. But I think it will take 3-5 years. You can’t just “fix” everything that’s wrong with them right now just like that. There’s too much there there.

And to bring this back to Kawhi … the one thing that’s been a constant in Kawhi Leonard’s career is his reserve and lack of drama. So let’s be real about how interesting the Lakers look to a guy like that.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#530 » by Quake Griffin » Sun May 12, 2019 3:25 pm

Clemenza wrote:The Lakers situation is easily fixable if they hired a POBO

TrueLAfan wrote: The Lakers are one person away.

If you and I see that, someone's agent sees that.

Now, she's clearly put her trust into Vogel and cut off most avenues of for this happening
But the posturing in this thread about how it COULD NOT happen is gratuitous at best.

She's not dumb. She COULD have done this this offseason. This lady canned her brother and boxed him out of the organization. LMFAO at thinking she wouldn't can the entire brass and start over immediately.

And again...the point wasn't about this specific move.
The point was....a team will maneuver into position to try and sign Kawhi between now and July. To act like this is a two-horse race and to ignore the field is not wise. The Ujiri thing was just an example of something someone could try to pull off. The idea was out there. I acknowledged it and brought it up.

I never said yo yo yo yo yo....this is gonna happen.

k?
Cool.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#531 » by Quake Griffin » Mon May 13, 2019 12:48 am

Do I want him to win this game or not?

I dunno.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#532 » by Quake Griffin » Mon May 13, 2019 1:33 am

Game winner baby.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Kawhi Carries Canada into Eastern Conference Finals 

Post#533 » by Ranma » Mon May 13, 2019 1:42 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#534 » by MartinToVaught » Mon May 13, 2019 1:43 am

Kawhi's not leaving the Raptors after that shot. Time to move on to Plan B.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#535 » by Quake Griffin » Mon May 13, 2019 1:48 am

Well, at least we have a draft pick this ye---

nvm.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#536 » by MartinToVaught » Mon May 13, 2019 1:55 am

Like, maybe our only shred of hope is if the Bucks completely destroy the Raptors in a sweep. But then you remember that we're the Clippers, so the Raptors will 100% beat Milwaukee in a hard-fought 7-game series and clinch Kawhi staying.

How cocky some of our fans got on the GB, other sites and social media over this is just cringeworthy considering the history of our franchise. Personally, I'm tired of the free agent rumors and letdowns, I'm resigned to the fact that we need to build through the draft at this point instead of chasing after big names who will never come here. I'm just praying the front office doesn't overpay lower-tier "stars" to save face after Kawhi and KD turn us down.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#537 » by mttwlsn16 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:20 am

MartinToVaught wrote:Kawhi's not leaving the Raptors after that shot. Time to move on to Plan B.
Kawhi is literally that whole team. His "co-star" is a total no show in the playoffs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#538 » by MartinToVaught » Mon May 13, 2019 2:32 am

mttwlsn16 wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Kawhi's not leaving the Raptors after that shot. Time to move on to Plan B.
Kawhi is literally that whole team. His "co-star" is a total no show in the playoffs.

I'm not saying it's the smartest decision on Kawhi's part to stay. I don't think it is, because the rest of their team has played so badly and they don't have a ton of room for improvement in the future.

It just feels like the likeliest decision. That shot made him a hero to an entire country full of basketball fans, and it's hard to walk away from that. He made the shot Vince missed, you couldn't script it any better than that.
CptCanada
Pro Prospect
And1: 911

Post#539 » by CptCanada » Mon May 13, 2019 2:37 am

mttwlsn16 wrote:

You guys have a bright future but you need to recognize that Kawhi isn't the team, in fact he was a -2 this game. The guy is a legend and we are happy that he is here, just wanted to give some insight.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#540 » by mttwlsn16 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:39 am

CptCanada wrote:
mttwlsn16 wrote:

You guys have a bright future but you need to recognize that Kawhi isn't the team, in fact he was a -2 this game. The guy is a legend and we are happy that he is here, just wanted to give some insight.
+/- is dumb and Lowry sucks. Kawhi has about as much help as LeBron had during his first go around in Cleveland.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers