ImageImageImageImageImage

The Board Man Cometh!! Kawhi Leonard Signs 3 Year (2+1), $103 Million Deal

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Simulated Rebuilding Around Kawhi on NB2K18 

Post#61 » by Ranma » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:31 pm

Not exactly the way I would go, but interesting to see for our own respective approaches.

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: Simulated Rebuilding Around Kawhi on NB2K18 

Post#62 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Ranma wrote:Not exactly the way I would go, but interesting to see for our own respective approaches.

Definitely not the way I'd approach it and for sure. Their #18 would have to be coming back in that scenario. I'd be concerned about the 2nd and 3rd options (Tobias and....Austin???) offensively on that team. I'd like only one pick to go out and I'd rather keep Lou and go small around DeAndre than have Pau in the fold. However, for a short term fix, that kind of deal could get us back in the playoffs and possibly to a WCF depending on how the season plays out. The perimeter defense would be insane.

Like that it has us beating the Rockets.

Of course I hate that our 1st rounders would be going out in that deal with none coming back.
Not only does that block us out of this draft, but this team is good enough to the point where we'd lose the protection for our 2019 1st round pick.
We'd be 3 years into Jerry West's tenure before we made a single 1st round pick.

Since our 2019 pick has obligations on it depending where we finish, I wonder if we can even deal both of our 1st rounders this year.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Re: Simulated Rebuilding Around Kawhi on NB2K18 

Post#63 » by TucsonClip » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:36 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Since our 2019 pick has obligations on it depending where we finish, I wonder if we can even deal both of our 1st rounders this year.

Wouldnt matter, because the trade would be completed on draft night. Stepien rule is only for future picks.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,749

Re: Kawhi Leonard? 

Post#64 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:56 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:I still maintain that giving up both picks is too much in any scenario.

Kawhi has basically missed the whole season with an injury, and due to his continued silence on the matter and his decision not to attend the Spurs' playoff games, it's becoming a legitimate question of whether or not he's quitting on his team. If he's willing to quit on Pop, then how can he be trusted to play hard for Doc? Furthermore, how can Doc be trusted to keep Kawhi committed to the team? This is the same guy who last year, according to Arnovitz, declared our players "soft" and gave up on them because he had failed to convince them to buy in. And we're supposed to believe he can work with Kawhi when Pop couldn't?

I think most of us are considering what a healthy Kawhi would hypothetically be worth, or what would make sense for us to give up for him. I don't think we're going to get any clarity on this for awhile, if the Clippers end up offering a big trade package then we can only assume (or hopefully assume) that they've vetted his health.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,193

Post#65 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:03 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:if the Clippers end up offering a big trade package then we can only assume (or hopefully assume) that they've vetted his health.

The Clippers' historical track record on injuries is atrocious. It wasn't that long ago that our medical staff mismanaged Blake's quad injury, and he still hasn't been the same player since then. There is zero reason to trust this franchise on vetting anyone's health, ever.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 774

Post#66 » by donemilio21 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:57 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:if the Clippers end up offering a big trade package then we can only assume (or hopefully assume) that they've vetted his health.

The Clippers' historical track record on injuries is atrocious. It wasn't that long ago that our medical staff mismanaged Blake's quad injury, and he still hasn't been the same player since then. There is zero reason to trust this franchise on vetting anyone's health, ever.

We did sign Gallo and gave up a first rounder for it as well 8 months ago.
Ranma
RealGM

Windhorst Handicaps Odds Between Clippers and Lakers 

Post#67 » by Ranma » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:58 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
donemilio21
Analyst

Post#68 » by donemilio21 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:01 pm

Does anyone else feel like Kawhi is the best player on the best system team and may not be an MVP candidate on any other team?
Also for 5 years we had what many consider two top-10 players, and best we could do was 56 wins and 2nd round exit. I'd be careful giving an arm and leg for Kawhi.
donemilio21
Analyst

Post#69 » by donemilio21 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:10 pm

If Greg Popovich cannot handle Kawhi, how will Doc?

I have my doubts that he is actually injured.
donemilio21
Analyst

Post#70 » by donemilio21 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:11 pm

donemilio21
Analyst

Post#71 » by donemilio21 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:17 pm

MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#72 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:29 pm

donemilio21 wrote:Does anyone else feel like Kawhi is the best player on the best system team and may not be an MVP candidate on any other team?
Also for 5 years we had what many consider two top-10 players, and best we could do was 56 wins and 2nd round exit. I'd be careful giving an arm and leg for Kawhi.

Kawhi has always been a great defender, dating back to his time at SDSU. And before his injury, he had developed into a great iso/one-on-one scorer. He definitely wasn't just a product of Pop's system.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#73 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:34 pm

donemilio21 wrote:If Greg Popovich cannot handle Kawhi, how will Doc?

This, on the other hand, is a legit concern. Yet another reason why a coaching change should have been the top priority for this offseason, but Ballmer remains oblivious to the need for one.
Ranma
RealGM

Exactly Why Doc & Junior Need to Be Moved 

Post#74 » by Ranma » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:27 pm

donemilio21 wrote:Does anyone else feel like Kawhi is the best player on the best system team and may not be an MVP candidate on any other team?

donemilio21 wrote:If Greg Popovich cannot handle Kawhi, how will Doc?

I have my doubts that he is actually injured.

Outside of Doc apologists, who says that Doc (and Austin) should be staying with the Clippers if and when they acquire Kawhi Leonard or a star free-agent player? It might explain why the organization hasn't yet extended Doc and currently leaving him in lame-duck status while rumors of Jay Wright and Jeff Van Gundy are getting consideration.

I can see the Clippers buying time and letting Doc coach out the final season left on his contract if we can't secure someone better and if we miss out on a prime-time FA signing, but moving forward, this team is better off without a Rivers on it. As you pointed out, their respective actions and presence have basically led to arguably wasting the best years of Chris Paul and Blake Griffin's career as well as both of their departures.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#75 » by mkwest » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:41 am

MartinToVaught wrote:The Clippers' historical track record on injuries is atrocious. It wasn't that long ago that our medical staff mismanaged Blake's quad injury, and he still hasn't been the same player since then. There is zero reason to trust this franchise on vetting anyone's health, ever.

In case anyone forgot, Patten is a former writer for Clippers.com

Read on Twitter

Ranma
RealGM

CrossCourt Competition for Kawhi's Services 

Post#76 » by Ranma » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:50 pm

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#77 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:57 pm

I cant even imagine how this would work outside of they're just the Lakers and they get what they want.

Philly has their pick.
Ingram, Kuzma, Cleveland's 1st, and a future 1st?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Re: CrossCourt Competition for Kawhi's Services 

Post#78 » by TucsonClip » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:12 pm

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Funny how this comes out days after the Amick article...
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
Ranma
RealGM

La La Land Production for Lakers 

Post#79 » by Ranma » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:09 pm

TucsonClip wrote:Funny how this comes out days after the Amick article...

To be fair, Deveney's article is based on canvassing front-office executives for their opinions on the Kawhi situation in light of the rumored interest by the Clippers even though there is absolutely no mention of the Clips in his piece. He apparently references Byron Scott during an ESPN segment with Marcellus Wiley and Briand Windorst, but unlike Windhorst, Deveney sides with Scott in thinking the Lakers are the favorite to land Kawhi Leonard this summer.

Based on the comments of the unnamed execs, there is a sentiment that Leonard is maneuvering his way out of San Antonio to go to his hometown of Los Angeles. Deveney cites Paul George as previously being dead set on joining the Lakers but the Thunder apparently have a chance to keep him, which supports the idea that the Lakers will not take things for granted in just waiting for Kawhi to become a free agent but rather be proactive in pursuing a trade for him. However, you have to figure that the Lakers were planning to do that anyway since they're well aware of Jerry West's interest in him while advising the Clippers.

The article further cites belief that LeBron will factor in lifestyle as well as winning in his decision, which separates the Cavaliers and Lakers from the pack of suitors per Deveney's opinion.

The Kawhi situation presents quite the quandry for all interested parties. Given his condition of having degenerative tendinopathy of the quadriceps and the sensitivity in treating it as mkwest cited in the tweet above, it makes it a risky proposition to give him a max contract or even give up significant assets for him. However, given the anticipated competition for his services, a team will likely have no choice but to acquiesce on such demands.

For the Clippers, it will be especially tough to negotiate against giving Leonard a max contract given our reputation for having subpar medical and training practices and staff. Why would any player take the chance in putting his health in the Clips' hands when they have arguably more appealing and assured options in suitors competing to convince him to join them?
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#80 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:02 am

With the sad news about Pop's wife, the fact that Kawhi still reportedly isn't attending tonight's Spurs game is a legitimate character concern. He should at least be there to support the franchise and his teammates right now.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers