ImageImageImageImageImage

DJ Reportedly Wants Out with Eyes on Hometown Houston

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

DJ Reportedly Wants Out with Eyes on Hometown Houston 

Post#1 » by Ranma » Fri Jun 8, 2018 5:10 am

Quake Griffin wrote:News today says he wants to be a Rocket?

Why would they need him over Capela?

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: DJ Reportedly Wants Out with Eyes on Hometown Houston 

Post#2 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Jun 8, 2018 6:55 am

Can we get a 3rd team involved and get a 1st round pick out of the deal?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,186

Post#3 » by Max Headrom » Fri Jun 8, 2018 7:36 am

Like the great poet Curly Bill once said... "Well, bye"
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Post#4 » by esqtvd » Fri Jun 8, 2018 8:33 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Can we get a 3rd team involved and get a 1st round pick out of the deal?

First of all, HOU can't play DJ and Capela together. Capela's shooting chart is the same as DJ's.

But CP, Aziza, Capela are all FAs. Harden is already supermaxxed. Now there's some talk of LeBron. I don't know how Houston is going to juggle all that salary. If the Suns offer Capela the max

https://sportando.basketball/en/usa/nba/273709/suns-reportedly-really-high-on-clint-capela-they-re-willing-to-offer-him-a-max-contract-this-summer.html

the Rockets are really in a pickle. One scenario is to let Capela go and dump albatross Ryan Anderson's remaining 2 years/$42M on us and take DJ. But even if they offered us their first rounder in the deal, I don't know if such a crap pick is worth 2 years of Anderson.

But there's your FRP. Otherwise, I'm having trouble imagining getting any value for a one-year rental of DJ anywhere else--and with the Rockets, we'd really be getting the pick for taking Anderson off their hands, not for him--and it's just luck the salaries are a close enough match and Anderson's a big enough dog they'd do it.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,261

Post#5 » by nickhx2 » Fri Jun 8, 2018 8:54 am

sure, whatever you want, dj.

just give us ALL the assets in return.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#6 » by QRich3 » Fri Jun 8, 2018 9:23 am

Don't see a deal happening, they have Capela who's not as good but younger, and they'd want us to eat Anderson's salary in any deal, which should be a big no, even if they put a couple draft picks or three on top of it. He's gonna have to take the MLE if he really wants to go there.

Would do it for EJ+Nene+a couple of their minimum contracts+their pick next year, send EJ somewhere else for more assets (back to Indy?) and maybe end up getting a couple late 1st rounders out of it. But I'm not sure the Rockets are ok with that, I would rather re-sign Capela and keep EJ if I'm them.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#7 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Jun 8, 2018 2:49 pm

og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,082

Post#8 » by og15 » Fri Jun 8, 2018 3:02 pm

QRich3 wrote:Don't see a deal happening, they have Capela who's not as good but younger, and they'd want us to eat Anderson's salary in any deal, which should be a big no, even if they put a couple draft picks or three on top of it. He's gonna have to take the MLE if he really wants to go there.

Would do it for EJ+Nene+a couple of their minimum contracts+their pick next year, send EJ somewhere else for more assets (back to Indy?) and maybe end up getting a couple late 1st rounders out of it. But I'm not sure the Rockets are ok with that, I would rather re-sign Capela and keep EJ if I'm them.

I said this earlier in the season, but I don't know if I agree with this. DJ put on a lot of mass, but even before that, he was never as mobile as Capela is laterally which is huge for Houston's switching defense. It also makes Capela better at covering ground as a shot blocker than DJ.

The other thing is that offensively Capela has much better touch and better ball skills. He does a better job creating after the catch and making moves off the dribble away from the basket.

Money will be a factor, but who is better, and even more so who is better for Houston, I don't agree that DJ wins that one.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#9 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Jun 8, 2018 4:33 pm

Agreed...which is why I was wondering what Houston's incentive was in the OP of this thread.
The max Phoenix might offer Capela?

I'd like a 3rd team to get involved because I'd like to take a jab at some guys in the 20s of this year's draft.

But assuming we're going to make the 8th seed and lose our pick next year (smfh), I guess I don't mind having a 2019 pick to work with.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Unrequited Love 

Post#10 » by Ranma » Fri Jun 8, 2018 4:46 pm

Yeah, DJ is the one who wants to go to his hometown Houston Rockets. Plus, I'm sure he and his agent still wants to get paid on a big-money deal. Meanwhile, Daryl Morey has grand designs of trying to lure LeBron to join Harden and CP3. Paul George is the backup plan to LeBron. On top of all that, Capela is already on the roster and fits the team better scheme-wise and financially-speaking.

DJ is not going to put them over the top in terms of competing against the Warriors. Man, Doc really did a number on DJ making him think that he's a game-changing star player. He's probably not even a viable 3rd option for Morey this off-season since the Rockets only have to give Capela a qualifying offer for under $5 million this summer in order to retain him for next season.

Unless the Rockets have to package EJ & Capela in a deal in order to acquire a targeted star player, DJ makes no sense for them and, even then, they won't have the money to pay him what he'll want to be paid.

I only wish DJ would opt in sooner so that we can trade him at the draft. Either way, I want him and Austin offloaded for more appealing pieces for the team culture. If the Clippers' front office happens to catch Morey on a drunken phone call or something this summer, I'd love to get a future first-round pick and Eric Gordon in exchange for DJ's delusional behind.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,082

Post#11 » by og15 » Fri Jun 8, 2018 5:08 pm

For the Rockets, the only lure of DJ would be financial while not losing too much production. I don't believe it's realistic for them to get CP (even on a bit of a discount), resign Capela to his max and then also get one of LeBron or George at a close to their max contract.

With that being their goal, maybe DJ at a pretty big bargain could allow them to accomplish it, but I don't know their financials to say and I don't know what kind of bargain that would be.
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#12 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Fri Jun 8, 2018 8:57 pm

I'm sure that DJ wants to join the Rockets, but do the Rockets really want him at this point? IF he would agree to a cheap deal then the Rockets would probably take him. (That probably isn't realistic)

I'd be OK to keep DJ if we build a winning team, but I feel like we're probably going in a different direction. If DJ leaves this off season hopefully we can trade him for some assets. As of right now I don't see DJ joining the Rockets, it makes more sense for them to just keep Capela.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
Goner
Pro Prospect
And1: 695

Post#13 » by Goner » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:57 am

I'd actually take Capela over DJ straight up, even without factoring salary or age. Sure, DJ is more talented, but he is very unmotivated at times and does make some boneheaded plays.

That being said, it looks like DJ is going to have to bite the bullet and opt-in, as I don't think there is a market for his skill set that exceeds his option. I would be interested in trading DJ once (if) he does opt-in, though. Washington would make for great trade partners as they are all-in on their roster, but have significant salary cap issues that put them in a desperate situation.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#14 » by QRich3 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:44 am

og15 wrote:
QRich3 wrote:Don't see a deal happening, they have Capela who's not as good but younger, and they'd want us to eat Anderson's salary in any deal, which should be a big no, even if they put a couple draft picks or three on top of it. He's gonna have to take the MLE if he really wants to go there.

I said this earlier in the season, but I don't know if I agree with this. DJ put on a lot of mass, but even before that, he was never as mobile as Capela is laterally which is huge for Houston's switching defense. It also makes Capela better at covering ground as a shot blocker than DJ.

The other thing is that offensively Capela has much better touch and better ball skills. He does a better job creating after the catch and making moves off the dribble away from the basket.

Money will be a factor, but who is better, and even more so who is better for Houston, I don't agree that DJ wins that one.

Can't say I agree, Capela had the better season but I don't think he's the better player, people tend to focus on mobility and ability to switch nowadays, but Capela hasn't been able to have the defensive impact as a rim protector and defensive anchor that DJ's had in the previous two years, nor do I think he'll ever reach it. Yes Capela can't be attacked in switch+isolation plays like DJ can, but honestly, if that's the offense the opposing team is gonna choose, I take it every time. It wouldn't be very efficient at the end of a series. And on the other hand, DJ protecting the rim with guys like Tucker, Ariza, Paul and Luc funneling guys into him would be impossible to score on.

And while Capela does some on ball skills, they're not all that useful for a guy who still plays mostly as a rim runner, and again, it's gonna take some years until we see another guy as devastatingly efficient as a roll man as DJ. I have no doubt that if you plug DJ into the Rockets it'd be an improvement for them on both ends, next year or two at least.

But yeah, it doesn't really matter cause they'd have to pay to get DJ and they already have Capela, who is younger and is gonna be better than DJ soon, so I wouldn't have any interest if I was them.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers