ImageImageImageImageImage

What should we do after DJ doesn't sign with us?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

KXKriszna
Ballboy
And1: 8

What should we do after DJ doesn't sign with us? 

Post#1 » by KXKriszna » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:30 pm

We know that DJ is not happy in Clippers and it's almost a done deal that he is not signing with us.
Let's say we sign an extension with Montrezl.
Do you think Harrell becomes our first Center and Boban as a second option? Or do you think we should trade for/sign a new starting C? If yes than who would you like us to sign?
Or do you think we should draft Williams and use him as a second option after Montrezl or even as a starting C?

How would you solve the problem of us losing a starting C?
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,407

Re: What should we do after DJ doesn't sign with us? 

Post#2 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:53 pm

Harrell is undersized to be a starting center but I definitely want to keep him- he is so productive off the bench
connseanery
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#3 » by connseanery » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:10 pm

There are a lot of guys the team can go after. Dwayne Dedmon last of the Hawks can give you some quality minutes. He even learned to shoot 3s last season.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#4 » by esqtvd » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:14 am

connseanery wrote:There are a lot of guys the team can go after. Dwayne Dedmon last of the Hawks can give you some quality minutes. He even learned to shoot 3s last season.

We could do a lot with DJ's $24M. Dedmon only cost six.

But I don't see DJ opting out of that much dough.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#5 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:34 am

When I said trade him for a pick so we don't lose him for nothing, I got told tanking was evil and that Dre wouldn't opt out because the market wasn't there for him.

Now everybody is meh on having late lotto picks.
Just lol if Dre opts out on top of that too.

Good effort.
Good job.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#6 » by esqtvd » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:42 am

Quake Griffin wrote:When I said trade him for a pick so we don't lose him for nothing, I got told tanking was evil and that Dre wouldn't opt out because the market wasn't there for him.

Good effort.
Good job.

Can't "trade DJ for a pick." Gotta match his $24M salary, taking back somebody[s] else somebody wants to get rid of.

We had to cough up the late HOU pick, just to get rid of Jamal's remaining 2 years. Late picks are mostly useful as bribes. :wink:
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#7 » by QRich3 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:05 am

Don't think he'll opt out of his last season in the end, there doesn't seem to be much of a market for him.

I wish they traded him for a bad contract and a young guy, but apparently they don't want to add salary beyond 2019, that's why they didn't trade him in the past trade deadline.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Check Off Box on To-Do List 

Post#8 » by Ranma » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:25 am

Celebrate because DJ opting out coupled with unloading Teodosic's deal would mean that we would just have to unload Austin Rivers' contract to have a legit shot at signing LeBron should we actually acquire Kawhi. Even if we don't, DJ is not going to be terribly missed on a 1-year deal while he's been clamoring to move to Houston.

I still think his agent convinces him to opt in. There isn't that much money available in free agency. The Rockets, in particular, don't have the money to offer what he wants, especially with Clint Capela already on the roster and Chris Paul actively trying to recruit LeBron to Houston.

Even if he does opt-in, we might be able to unload him for a future draft pick (in the first or second round), but the problem is that we're unlikely to get anything for him in this draft because he has until after the draft on July 1st to make a decision. Just like Austin Rivers. This is why I hate giving out player options.

In the meantime, we still have Boban Marjanovic ($9,490,740) and Wesley Johnson's ($6,134,000) expiring deals to package as trade filler.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#9 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:57 am

esqtvd wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:When I said trade him for a pick so we don't lose him for nothing, I got told tanking was evil and that Dre wouldn't opt out because the market wasn't there for him.

Good effort.
Good job.

Can't "trade DJ for a pick." Gotta match his $24M salary, taking back somebody[s] else somebody wants to get rid of.

Thanks.

Wasn't aware of that. The general spirit of getting a pick for him is negated because I didn't mention salary matching specifically.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#10 » by esqtvd » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:01 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Good effort.
Good job.

Thanks.

Wasn't aware of that. The general spirit of getting a pick for him is negated because I didn't mention salary matching specifically.

I agree with the general spirit, certainly.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,951

Post#11 » by Bobbymcgee » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:58 pm

If the Clippers miss out on the superstars, go full rebuild through the draft and free agency. One step back, two steps forward and all that.
Dunken Dave
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#12 » by Dunken Dave » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:54 pm

I think DJ opts-in this summer at the $24mil, there will be more of a market in FA next year.....DJ to Houston is probably a pipe dream, especially if they sign LBJ. For us we'd have to hopefully "hit" on a FA center this year; maybe take a flier on Nerlens Noel who played for $4mil n Dallas this past season.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers