ImageImageImageImageImage

2018-19 Rookies (Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Landry Shamet & Jerome Robinson)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Re: The Clippers select Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Jerome Robinson 

Post#201 » by Galloisdaman » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:45 pm

SGA is playing well for a rookie. If he is to be the PG I would like to see his playmaking increase but that may not be in his hands at this point. AG, Bev, Lou, and others have the ball in their hands a lot. The Clipps do not seem to have 1 specific guy who is usually given the freedom to create each time down the court outside of Lou.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Pre-Draft Content: Shai 4th on Aldridge's 2018 Big Board for Guards 

Post#202 » by Ranma » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:48 pm

David Aldridge, NBA.com (6/18/18)
Gilgeous-Alexander a skilled playmaker

Kentucky freshman Shai Gilgeous-Alexander is yet another one-and-done Wildcat whose potential exceeded his production in his one season in Lexington. But long and rangy at 6-foot-6, Alexander does have significant NBA potential at the point.

Yet another talent from the burgeoning Canadian pipeline, the Hamilton, Ontario, native’s arc this season mirrored his team’s: a very slow start by Kentucky standards, followed by rapid improvement and a strong postseason showing. Kentucky lost four games in a row midway through the regular season and looked like an NCAA bubble team. But Gilgeous-Alexander picked up the pace down the stretch of the regular season, leading the Wildcats to seven wins in their final eight regular season and SEC Tournament games.

In the SEC final against Tennessee, Gilgeous-Alexander scored a game-high 29 points to secure both the conference title and tournament MVP honors.

Gilgeous-Alexander helped Kentucky get to the Sweet 16 with 27 points (on 10 of 12 shooting from the floor), six rebounds and six assists against Buffalo in the second round. Both he and the Wildcats petered out against Kansas State in the next round, but his likely first-round standing in the Draft was secured.

“He’s probably had one of the better years for a point guard, coming where he came from,” one scout said. “I wasn’t sure he was a player that should have even gone to Kentucky. But Shai’s done a great job of improving his game, showcasing what he can do, making his teammates better, making that team better, sometimes putting it on his back and willing them to win. And I wasn’t sure I was going to see that at the beginning of the year. I think he’s really improved his status within the NBA.”

Gilgeous-Alexander will need to display a larger sample size behind the arc in the pros. While he shot 40 percent on 3-pointers at Kentucky, he only took 57 in 37 games.

“I’m not a fan of his game; is it a trick game?,” one scout asked. “But, he’s long.”

And some scouts have concerns about Gilgeous-Alexander’s body. He favors long and lanky point guards in recent years like the Utah Jazz’s Dante Exum, Charlotte Hornets’ Michael Carter-Williams and Golden State Warriors’ Shaun Livingston, all of whom broke down physically early in their careers. Against West Virginia in January, Gilgeous-Alexander was harassed by Jevon Carter, scoring six points on three made field goals.

But, the Kentucky pedigree and his size will make selecting Gilgeous-Alexander early a risk someone will take.

“Long term, is he safer than some of these other guys that are going to go higher?,” an Atlantic Division personnel men asks. “He’s got positional size. His shot is low but it’s not broken. He can play downhill and get in defensive position -- some.”

No Shortage of NBA-Ready Guard Prospects in 2018 Draft Class
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Pre-Draft Content: Rome 18th on Aldridge's 2018 Big Board for Guards 

Post#203 » by Ranma » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:52 pm

David Aldridge, NBA.com (6/18/18)
Boston College junior Jerome Robinson had a sensational season, being named as an AP all-American and first-team all-ACC choice (he finished second to Duke’s Marvin Bagley for conference player of the year honors). Averaging 20.7 points, Robinson led BC to an upset of Duke in December, starting a run of big performances -- 29 at Virginia, 32 versus Virginia Tech, 46 at Notre Dame in February and 30 at Miami.

He’s among the more talented offensive guard prospects who are likely to be available in the late first and early second rounds, along with Duke’s Gary Trent, Jr., and Arizona’s Allonzo Trier.

“I really like him as a shot maker,” a college coach whose team played Boston College this season said of Robinson. “The question Is defense but he has tons of skill and good size and athletic ability. (BC Coach) Jim Christian is one of the best offensive minds in the game, and they use tons of creative ways to get him shots -- pick and rolls, dribble handoffs and creative sets. I think he can do either” in the pros.

No Shortage of NBA-Ready Guard Prospects in 2018 Draft Class
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Pre-Draft Content: Hoops Habit Talked About Shai for Nuggets' Consideration 

Post#204 » by Ranma » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:10 pm

Max Carlin, HoopsHabit.com (6/12/18)
Outside of his jump-shooting, Gilgeous-Alexander is such a sublime offensive player, but my concern is that the rest of his game will always be punished by the shot. His utility as a pick-and-roll ball-handler? Diminished because defenders will always go under screens on him. His positional versatility as an off-ball player? Non-existent if the defense can ignore him.

The “if he develops a shot” trope is tired and typically incorrect. It’s a way we talk ourselves into the upside of athletic players who lack offensive polish. With Gilgeous-Alexander, I think it’s true.

If Gilgeous-Alexander’s shot develops, especially off-the-dribble, he’s a borderline All-Star. If he adds enough mass to defend wings on top of that, he’s one of the most unique, versatile and valuable guards in the league.

Gilgeous-Alexander is a high-floor, high-ceiling player. The catch is that he’s overwhelmingly likely to top out near his floor. Shooting, for a lead guard, is too important, and the threat of the pull-up, which he’ll need in order to hit his ceiling, is something you either have or you don’t.

Denver Nuggets: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander’s Potential Fit
Ranma
RealGM

Pre-Draft Content: Liberty Ballers Broke Down Shai for 76ers' Consideration 

Post#205 » by Ranma » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:18 pm

Jackson J. Frank, LibertyBallers.com (6/15/18)
It’s not just that Gilgeous-Alexander can see all these passes in varying contexts; it’s that he has the ability to make accurate, well-timed feeds and put his teammates in positions to score without them having to create their own shot.

Elite playmakers are those who throw the first punch, forcing defenses to react rather than vise versa. Gilgeous-Alexander wasn’t always the manipulator, but showed flashes that should leave NBA teams encouraged with his ceiling as a facilitator.

When he wasn’t slinging the ball around the court, Gilgeous-Alexander was getting to the lane at will using herky-jerky movements, hesitations and other slippery moves, all of which kept defenders off balance and induced frequent trips to the foul line.

At 6-foot-6 with a 6-foot-11 wingspan, Gilgeous-Alexander’s measurables are ideal for modern-day defensive schemes that rely heavily on switching and long, versatile wings to execute that plan of attack.

However, there is a divide between the idea of what Gilgeous-Alexander can offer defensively and what he actually brings to the table. His length, coupled with 1.6 steals a night last season, scream pestering defender, but in reality, his defense trails behind his offense as an NBA prospect.

Prospect Breakdown: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Ranma
RealGM

Draft Content: NBA.com Profile on Shai Gilgeous-Alexander 

Post#206 » by Ranma » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:27 pm

Ranma
RealGM

Draft Content: NBA.com Profile on Jerome Robinson 

Post#207 » by Ranma » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:28 pm

Ranma
RealGM

Why I Have Concerns About SGA's Playmaking 

Post#208 » by Ranma » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:14 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,886

Post#209 » by esqtvd » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:48 am

OK, sure

DiVincenzo

16.1 mpg
5.0 ppg
39.3% FG
24.6 2-pt
2.5 reb
1.2 asst
0.5stls
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Ranma
RealGM

No Need to Worry About Rome This Season? 

Post#210 » by Ranma » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:01 am

While the writer of the piece referenced below has a point about not being overly concerned about Jerome Robinson's lack of playing time this season even going so far as to cite Klay Thompson's backing up of Monta Ellis during his rookie season, every opportunity to acclimate a rookie to the NBA game sooner tends to serve him better than not.

Assuming his foot issue is not a chronic problem and barring any other health ailments, I was already of the opinion that Rome's offensive touch is advanced and on par with those of some established veterans. The only things really holding him back are his lack of confidence and aggressiveness at this early stage as well as his maturing physical development along with his defense.

While he has innate and even polished offensive ability in some respect, it's still a long ways away from being at the same level of Ray Allen, J.J. Redick and the aforementioned Klay. Having said that, I'm confident that he'll eventually figure things out at that end given his propensity to shoot and pass.

In my opinion, Rome's defense will primarily determine whether he'll eventually be a starter in the NBA or a role player off the bench and I certainly have less confidence in him developing in that regard given his lack of outstanding length and his physical build in general. While I consider it a remote possibility, he could even be a Jimmer Fredette if he doesn't show some defensive acumen or capability soon. However, it's more likely that he'll be a Kevin Martin, who played 12 seasons in the NBA as a notable scorer but had a fairly unremarkable career.

I think it's realistic to expect Martin to be Rome's floor and maybe Redick, Allen or Klay to be his ceiling depending on how his development goes. I hope and expect to see him put in some serious work this summer to develop and expand his game.

Read on Twitter

Nathan Jacobo, Clipperholics.com (12/22/8)
A lineup of SGA-Robinson-Kawhi/Tobias-KD/Tobias-Center, provides the team with spacing, length and shooting to give opposing defense’s problems.

Clippers Senior Advisor Jerry West had his name written all over this pick. Any similarities between Robinson and another lethal shooter/scorer in today’s game? Offensively, Robinson has the skillet [sic] and tools similar to Warriors Guard Klay Thompson.

If Rivers is still at the helm next season, I can imagine him using Robinson, like Allen and Redick, with off-ball screens off of the 3-Point line and the Mid-Range. Robinson has showed he can even be a primary ball handler and showcase his handling and passing.

Why Jerome Robinson’s Rookie Season Doesn’t Necessarily Matter
Ranma
RealGM

SGA's Best Plays of 2018 

Post#211 » by Ranma » Tue Jan 1, 2019 2:14 pm

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

The Say Shai Kid 

Post#212 » by Ranma » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:48 pm

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Rome Looking the Part 

Post#213 » by Ranma » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:36 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM

Re: No Need to Worry About Rome This Season? 

Post#214 » by esqtvd » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:57 am

Ranma wrote:Friday, December 28

In my opinion, Rome's defense will primarily determine whether he'll eventually be a starter in the NBA or a role player off the bench and I certainly have less confidence in him developing in that regard given his lack of outstanding length and his physical build in general. While I consider it a remote possibility, he could even be a Jimmer Fredette if he doesn't show some defensive acumen or capability soon. However, it's more likely that he'll be a Kevin Martin, who played 12 seasons in the NBA as a notable scorer but had a fairly unremarkable career.

I think it's realistic to expect Martin to be Rome's floor and maybe Redick, Allen or Klay to be his ceiling depending on how his development goes. I hope and expect to see him put in some serious work this summer to develop and expand his game.

Either Jimmer Fredette or a Hall of Famer, then. Or more likely, Kevin Martin. OK, got it.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#215 » by donemilio21 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:37 pm

Make the shots, be an efficient scorer when in game, and you'll have 15 season career.
Kyle Korver, Steve Kerr, John Starks, Jason Terry come to mind.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#216 » by Galloisdaman » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:54 pm

If Rome turns out to be Kevin Martin that the Clippers got a steal. If that is his floor as noted in a previous post that would be insane good luck for the team.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Ranma
RealGM

Promising Development in Rome 

Post#217 » by Ranma » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:41 am

Read on Twitter

Broderick Turner, Los Angeles Times (1/27/19)
“He’s been playing great with us now,” Rivers said. “We know he can shoot the ball, No. 1. I like the fact that he can move without the ball. I think that’s an art that most players never get in their whole career, and Jerome came into the league knowing how to do that. So that’ll help us.”

“The area he’s made a vast improvement on is defensively and just being more physical,” Rivers said. “Early on that was eating him alive, just eating him up and now he kind of accepts it. He works at it, so he’s been great for us.”

At 21, Robinson had to gain confidence that he could play in the NBA.

Clippers Rookie Jerome Robinson is Impressing Coach Doc Rivers
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#218 » by esqtvd » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:47 am

Galloisdaman wrote:If Rome turns out to be Kevin Martin that the Clippers got a steal. If that is his floor as noted in a previous post that would be insane good luck for the team.

Or Jimmer Fredette. Read the "prediction." :lol:
Ranma
RealGM

Lou Has Words of Wisdom for Shai 

Post#219 » by Ranma » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:21 am

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Proud of Rome 

Post#220 » by Ranma » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:09 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Clippers