ImageImageImageImageImage

2018-19 Rookies (Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Landry Shamet & Jerome Robinson)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Re: The Clippers select Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Jerome Robinson 

Post#241 » by QRich3 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:30 pm

It's a shame but I don't see a way for Jerome to get into the rotation even next year. Sham and Lou are locking up all of the minutes for this and next season at his position, and the foreseeable future, and even if Rome gets past Wallace and Sindarius in the rotation, there's no room for him to get meaningful minutes.

And it sucks specially cause it seems like he could become a good player if he's developed properly, but I don't see a way for that to happen. Maybe if they hadn't re-signed Bradley, things could've been different, but the way things are now, I don't see how he'll get his beak wet.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#242 » by TheNewEra » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:19 pm

QRich3 wrote:It's a shame but I don't see a way for Jerome to get into the rotation even next year. Sham and Lou are locking up all of the minutes for this and next season at his position, and the foreseeable future, and even if Rome gets past Wallace and Sindarius in the rotation, there's no room for him to get meaningful minutes.

And it sucks specially cause it seems like he could become a good player if he's developed properly, but I don't see a way for that to happen. Maybe if they hadn't re-signed Bradley, things could've been different, but the way things are now, I don't see how he'll get his beak wet.

Continuing to improve his defense and point guard skills would go a long way. It’s been shown and still is that Lou needs a second ball handler to help him with running the second unit. If Robinson can be a respectable defender and ability to run plays and get guys going it would do wonders to get pt.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#243 » by Galloisdaman » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:33 pm

QRich3 wrote:It's a shame but I don't see a way for Jerome to get into the rotation even next year. Sham and Lou are locking up all of the minutes for this and next season at his position, and the foreseeable future, and even if Rome gets past Wallace and Sindarius in the rotation, there's no room for him to get meaningful minutes.

Cream usually finds a way to rise to the top. If Jerome improves a lot it will be noticed in summer league, preseason, practice or due to injuries. If Jerome really grows as a player you will see him play eventually even if it meant a trade to another team. Most first round picks will get multiple attempts to show they belong. GMs do not want to look like they whiffed on a player. Now with that said teams are moving draft picks quicker than in years past. I find that interesting. Now some teams decide if a player will make it or not by their 3rd year.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Post#244 » by esqtvd » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:18 pm

We were lucky to get away with starting a rookie so early in his career, and only because we had vets like Bradley to play beside him and guide him, esp on what to do on D. And early on--and still probably now--Robinson hadn't earned PT ahead of Sindarius or Ty.

It was Shai who kept Rome in G-League or on the bench, not Avery or the other vets. And now Shamet.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Dunken Dave
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#245 » by Dunken Dave » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:43 pm

IMHO it's way too early to assume that JRob won't be able to crack the rotation NEXT year. We currently only have 3 legit guards on the current roster, so there is definitely room for a quality 4th guard. I see JRob's two biggest areas of improvement as confidence and strength (in fact all of our rookie guards need to get stronger). Jerome has skills but at this point he doesn't really trust himself to just go out and play-----he's focuses too much on trying not to make mistakes. Sitting on the bench this year will be the fuel that will light his fire during the off-season. I think we will see a very much improved player next year whether that's here or somewhere else in the NBA.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#246 » by esqtvd » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:53 am

Dunken Dave wrote:IMHO it's way too early to assume that JRob won't be able to crack the rotation NEXT year. We currently only have 3 legit guards on the current roster, so there is definitely room for a quality 4th guard. I see JRob's two biggest areas of improvement as confidence and strength (in fact all of our rookie guards need to get stronger). Jerome has skills but at this point he doesn't really trust himself to just go out and play-----he's focuses too much on trying not to make mistakes. Sitting on the bench this year will be the fuel that will light his fire during the off-season. I think we will see a very much improved player next year whether that's here or somewhere else in the NBA.

Rome is definitely a trade chip. Being drafted 13th has cache [perceived value], esp since it appears other teams were sniffing around and the Clips decided it was too risky to trade down and still hope to get him.

As for the rotation, I suppose Doc can baby Rome along like he babied Shai this year. We just couldn't baby 2 rookies at the same time. Fortunately Shamet showed up ready to play at midseason after first being babied by Philly and mentored by JJ Redick. [A real stroke of luck for him to end up alongside a mature JJ, who's now in the mood to be gracious to the kids hunting for his job.]

But I don't know where he fits in ahead of Shamet, who's turning into a bit of a phenom. Rome might be better served ending up in a situation that needs a scorer like Booker or Mitchell, where he's just encouraged to go apespit with the ball, rather than have to learn to be a role-player without the rock. Here, he's still the 4th guard, and 5th if we keep Pat Bev.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#247 » by playaloc916 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:26 pm

Rome seems like a typical 3&D guy, but as it's already been mentioned, there's no meaningful minutes for him with the current roster. Unless he makes a major breakthrough in the off-season, I think he'll end up being traded and then develop with his new team. Maybe something similar to Reggie Bullock's career.

I guess it's a good problem to have, but at the same time, it kind of sucks that we probably won't see what West saw in him to pick him with the 13th pick. At least on our team we probably won't.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#248 » by Galloisdaman » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:54 pm

I would not assume you will not see Rome play here. As I said previously GM's do not like to whiff on 1st round picks. They want to see them do well. Rome will probably be given plenty of chances to open coaches eyes via summer league, practice, garbage time in games, and possible injuries. Even in the D League or whatever they call it I'm pretty sure the team was getting videos and reports on him to follow his progress.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Rookie Clippers' Accomplishments 

Post#249 » by Ranma » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:46 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Re: Rookie Clippers' Accomplishments 

Post#250 » by mkwest » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:44 pm

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Rodions Kurucs
Ranma
RealGM

Public Opinion Prefers Rome Over Chandler 

Post#251 » by Ranma » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:20 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
TheNewEra
RealGM

Re: Public Opinion Prefers Rome Over Chandler 

Post#252 » by TheNewEra » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:33 am

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

After watching the G-League game Robinson still looks like a deer in headlights. He cost his team yesterday and anybody that can should watch the game on twitch. I was rooting for him to get back into the rotation but that game was just terrible. Needs to snap out of it and find his swagger 8 turnovers!
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#253 » by mkwest » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:50 am

Read on Twitter
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#254 » by TheNewEra » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:38 am

Much better game by Robinson right now. Clippers have to win this game to make g league playoffs and up 3 going into the 4th
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#255 » by esqtvd » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:47 am

TheNewEra wrote:
Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

After watching the G-League game Robinson still looks like a deer in headlights. He cost his team yesterday and anybody that can should watch the game on twitch. I was rooting for him to get back into the rotation but that game was just terrible. Needs to snap out of it and find his swagger 8 turnovers!

well that's been my point
it wasn't like anybody was taking minutes he'd earned away from him

actually, our offense has been adequate all year
what he could offer, we didn't need
what we need he can't offer
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#256 » by esqtvd » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:02 am

blew a 9-point lead and lose on a buzzer-beater

AC Clipper season is over
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#257 » by TheNewEra » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:07 am

Another 4th quarter choke and the g league clips miss the playoffs. Just have the young guys with the main roster.
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#258 » by TheNewEra » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:15 am

esqtvd wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:
Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

well that's been my point
it wasn't like anybody was taking minutes he'd earned away from him

actually, our offense has been adequate all year
what he could offer, we didn't need
what we need he can't offer

His shooting and ability to create his own on and off the ball like a Ty is what works best next to Lou. His defense seems better but needs to get stronger. I’m personally not sold Chandler and Temple can work as a duo because we are trying to have Temple be a creator. If Robinson can play like he did being aggressive with the ball and looking to shoot and break down the defense he would be a huge boost and relief for Lou.

4th quarter tonight he seemed overwhelmed at times as the clock went down. Not explosive enough to get around the doubles and not quick enough to get the pick and roll game with Motley they tried flowing. That was a tough loss would of loved for them to have received the experience.

Since the season is over I would just have Motley, Delgado and Robinson practice with the main team. Cut Luc if we need a roster spot to allow them to practice. Delgado and Motley need to be brought back next year good injury insurance players.
Ranma
RealGM

Cassell on Shai 

Post#259 » by Ranma » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:41 am

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#260 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:44 am

Read on Twitter

Even sparred with a few on this issue on his twitter.
Pretty cool that Pat thinks that highly of him and has his back like that.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers