ImageImageImageImageImage

Jimmy Butler Showed Interest in Clippers; Traded To Philadelphia

Moderators: TrueLAfan, og15

Should the Clippers pursue Jimmy Butler? (Check all that you agree with)

Poll ended at Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:47 am

Wait until the offseason and sign as a FA ($139.3M / 4yrs)
11%
Trade for him now and re-sign in offseason ($187.9M / 5yrs)
4%
Avoid him at all costs (Age, Injury and Chemistry concerns)
7%
Are you willing to part willing to part with Harris?
11%
Are you willing to part with Robinson?
14%
Are you willing to part with Gilgeous-Alexander?
7%
Are you willing to part with Williams?
21%
Are you willing to take on Dieng in a package deal with Butler?
4%
Jimmy Butler is worth the max
4%
Jimmy Butler is worth 90% of the max ($169.1M / 5yrs or $125.4 / 4yrs)
18%

Total votes: 28

Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,170

Re: Jimmy Butler requests trade to Clippers, Knicks or Nets; Lists Clippers as top destination! 

Post#201 » by Galloisdaman » Wed Nov 7, 2018 2:15 pm

I'd be very surprised if the Clippers look at Gallo as just a contract dump if he is healthy and averaging 20 points on just 13 fga in 29 minutes a game. They will want a good return for him. Its not like Gallo has a long huge contract. We just played Butler. He is a good player but did not look like the king of the world.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,274

Re: Jimmy Butler requests trade to Clippers, Knicks or Nets; Lists Clippers as top destination! 

Post#202 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Nov 7, 2018 7:56 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:I'd be very surprised if the Clippers look at Gallo as just a contract dump if he is healthy and averaging 20 points on just 13 fga in 29 minutes a game. They will want a good return for him. Its not like Gallo has a long huge contract. We just played Butler. He is a good player but did not look like the king of the world.

He wasn't just "not the king of the world," he was a no-show outside of that brief stretch in the 4th when Jerome and Milos were "guarding" him.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#203 » by TucsonClip » Thu Nov 8, 2018 12:43 am

Galloisdaman wrote:I'd be very surprised if the Clippers look at Gallo as just a contract dump if he is healthy and averaging 20 points on just 13 fga in 29 minutes a game. They will want a good return for him. Its not like Gallo has a long huge contract. We just played Butler. He is a good player but did not look like the king of the world.

Ive never looked at him as a salary dump. If healthy, I think they shop him at the deadline. Assuming he makes it through the season, I think he is a decent option this summer (albeit overpriced) for a team that strikes out and needs a scoring forward.

The problem is, he can never stay healthy. Additionally, if he is healthy all year, we are likely in the playoff hunt.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Sounds Familiar 

Post#204 » by Ranma » Thu Nov 8, 2018 2:44 am

Ranma wrote:The organization is well positioned to attract premier free agents based on the benefits that have already been discussed previously, so you have to get past this notion that the Clippers will revert back to the Sterling days in terms of operation. Doc Rivers is not a coach who can win without the aforementioned type of players. He can't do what Larry Brown did with the Pistons. Heck, neither could Gregg Popovich, Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Steve Kerr, Rick Carlisle, Rudy Tomjanovich, etc. Even the Dallas Mavericks had Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Kidd supported by Caron Butler, Shawn Marion, Peja Stojakovic, et al.

What the Clippers have going on now is a great first step, but if we plateau and don't improve much more, we run the risk of just treadmilling and being stuck in the purgatory of being a perpetual middling franchise. Jerry West has steered this organization to pursue premier free agents. We're not really built to do it any other way given reasonable expectations. If we strike out on free agents, for whatever reason, then the organization has no choice but to keep trying until it finally secures a couple or decides a full rebuild is the way to go. There is no in-between. It's superstar(s) or bust.

Read on Twitter

Dan Devine, TheRinger.com (11/7/18)
Rivers, owner Steve Ballmer, and the Clippers front office envision a team led by one or two max-level superstars, but until then, they’ve got to rely on collective effort. So far, so good.

The Five Most Interesting Teams in the NBA in Week 4
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Superstar or Bust 

Post#205 » by Neddy » Thu Nov 8, 2018 2:51 am

Ranma wrote:For crying out loud, Wammy. It's like you intentionally turn off your brain to the most obvious facts even when it has been pointed out to you multiple times. You keep pushing this harebrained narrative when I've already pointed out that the Spurs you cited didn't win their championships without superstar and/or Hall-of-Fame players (the Admiral, Duncan, Kawhi, Manu). The Detroit Pistons are the anomaly, not the norm. The aim is to win championships and, in order to have a practical chance at such an endeavor, the Clippers have to acquire a superstar and/or future Hall-of-Famer or two at least.

You get such players either through the draft or free agency. To trade for one is even rarer. Teams realistically can't be expected to draft superstar talent unless they get a top pick, but since Jerry West chose to opt against the complete rebuild route, the alternative is to sign free agents; the Clips currently don't have the assets to compete in a bidding war between the Celtics and Lakers to trade for one should one become available soon.

The organization is well positioned to attract premier free agents based on the benefits that have already been discussed previously, so you have to get past this notion that the Clippers will revert back to the Sterling days in terms of operation. Doc Rivers is not a coach who can win without the aforementioned type of players. He can't do what Larry Brown did with the Pistons. Heck, neither could Gregg Popovich, Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Steve Kerr, Rick Carlisle, Rudy Tomjanovich, etc. Even the Dallas Mavericks had Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Kidd supported by Caron Butler, Shawn Marion, Peja Stojakovic, et al.

What the Clippers have going on now is a great first step, but if we plateau and don't improve much more, we run the risk of just treadmilling and being stuck in the purgatory of being a perpetual middling franchise. Jerry West has steered this organization to pursue premier free agents. We're not really built to do it any other way given reasonable expectations. If we strike out on free agents, for whatever reason, then the organization has no choice but to keep trying until it finally secures a couple or decides a full rebuild is the way to go. There is no in-between. It's superstar(s) or bust.

lol, just looking back, we DID get not only 1, but 2 super-stars via trade... but too bad the first one came to us after he tore his knee, and the other towards the end of prime, but still prime superstar none the less, but hated the idea of resigning with us, he went to Europe to play. I will leave it to the old heads to figure which two ex clippers I am talking about, but damn man Sterling couldn't do anything right.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

CP3 & 'Nique 

Post#206 » by Ranma » Thu Nov 8, 2018 3:02 am

Neddy wrote:lol, just looking back, we DID get not only 1, but 2 super-stars via trade... but too bad the first one came to us after he tore his knee, and the other towards the end of prime, but still prime superstar none the less, but hated the idea of resigning with us, he went to Europe to play. I will leave it to the old heads to figure which two ex clippers I am talking about, but damn man Sterling couldn't do anything right.

Chris Paul and Dominique Wilkins. Wilkins actually went to the Celtics after us, then Europe unhappy with his role in Boston.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

T-Wolves Owner Not Fooling Anyone 

Post#207 » by Ranma » Thu Nov 8, 2018 10:21 pm

Read on Twitter
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: CP3 & 'Nique 

Post#208 » by Neddy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:01 am

Ranma wrote:
Neddy wrote:lol, just looking back, we DID get not only 1, but 2 super-stars via trade... but too bad the first one came to us after he tore his knee, and the other towards the end of prime, but still prime superstar none the less, but hated the idea of resigning with us, he went to Europe to play. I will leave it to the old heads to figure which two ex clippers I am talking about, but damn man Sterling couldn't do anything right.

Chris Paul and Dominique Wilkins. Wilkins actually went to the Celtics after us, then Europe unhappy with his role in Boston.

haha great dude, I was actually thinking Ron Harper, but I forgot CP3 too tore his knee before coming to us. and I did forget about Boston, lol :D
ehhhhh f it.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,274

Post#209 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Well, that's that. Glad it's the Sixers and not us.
Ranma
RealGM

More Details from Shams & Woj (Also Siegel & Nichols) 

Post#210 » by Ranma » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:45 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Philly's New Big 3 

Post#211 » by Ranma » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:13 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Marks Looks at 76ers & T-Woves' Roster + Cap Situations 

Post#212 » by Ranma » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Including the $30.7M Jimmy Butler free agent hold, Philadelphia will have roughly $21M in cap space for 2019-20. The room includes renouncing all free agents except for Butler and TJ McConnell. The 76ers would be close to adding another max slot if they find a home for former first overall pick Markelle Fultz.
Read on Twitter

The trade now has Minnesota $2.9M below the luxury tax and 2 controllable contracts with Robert Covington and Dario Saric. Covington is under contract with a cap hit of $10.4M, $11.3M, $12.2M and $13.0 through 2021-22. Saric is extension eligible next summer and is under contract with a cap hit of $2.5M and $3.5M. He will be a restricted free agent in 2020. Bayless is in the last year with a $8.6M salary. For next season, Minnesota is right at the salary cap with 8 players on guaranteed contracts.
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

The roster in Minnesota now increases to 15. The Timberwolves have James Nunnally who has a partially guaranteed contract and injured guard Jerryd Bayless if they need to open a spot. Minnesota also created a $2.7M trade exception as part of the deal. They also have $2M remaining of the midlevel and the full $3.4M bi-annual exception.
Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Butler was Going to Sit in Minnesota 

Post#213 » by Ranma » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:12 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,941

Re: Jimmy Butler Showed Interest in Clippers; Traded To Philadelphia 

Post#214 » by esqtvd » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:51 am

Butler is vindicated--the Wolves were a disgrace last night in a 40-point loss to Philly.

http://www.philly.com/sixers/jimmy-butler-sixers-timberwolves-trade-nba-20190116.html

Sixers podcast: Timberwolves’ effort explains why Jimmy Butler wanted out

Keith Pompey and Michael Lee talk about Jimmy Butler’s performance in Tuesday’s 149-107 victory over his former team, the Minnesota Timberwolves, in the latest Locked on Sixers podcast. The Timberwolves' effort explains why Butler forced a trade out of Minnesota.

see also

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#215 » by Galloisdaman » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:53 pm

I think there is a low probability of Butler and Kawhi playing together but lets say they did play together. Does anyone else wonder how long they would even get along? They are very different temperament wise. Could be a great match but could also be.......#%*!
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,279

Post#216 » by Clemenza » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:50 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:I think there is a low probability of Butler and Kawhi playing together but lets say they did play together. Does anyone else wonder how long they would even get along? They are very different temperament wise. Could be a great match but could also be.......#%*!

Jimmy is not going to question a superstar like Kawhi. Maybe over something like a Wing Stop flavor but it sure as hell won't be basketball related that's for sure.

-This is another reason I want the team to just play the youngsters and keep the first round draft pick cause it definitely looks like we're getting a star or two this off season. There's no need to play these washed up vets to try to look competitive for potential free agents... they're already coming no matter what!
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#217 » by Galloisdaman » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:27 pm

Clemenza wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:I think there is a low probability of Butler and Kawhi playing together but lets say they did play together. Does anyone else wonder how long they would even get along? They are very different temperament wise. Could be a great match but could also be.......#%*!

Jimmy is not going to question a superstar like Kawhi. Maybe over something like a Wing Stop flavor but it sure as hell won't be basketball related that's for sure.

-This is another reason I want the team to just play the youngsters and keep the first round draft pick cause it definitely looks like we're getting a star or two this off season. There's no need to play these washed up vets to try to look competitive for potential free agents... they're already coming no matter what!

I think Butler could potentially have problems with any player, coach or team at this point. I think he will be in less demand than previously believed because of his issues.

The Clippers could get a big name FA but I would not count that chicken before it is hatched. I think there is a chance they come up empty as well. If they do I hope is not Butler. I think they could end up regretting that outcome.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,941

Post#218 » by esqtvd » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:52 pm

Clemenza wrote:

I don't believe that's necessarily so. We still have the remnants of a winning culture [for which I credit CP and to a lesser extent Doc and Blake]. I think turning this team into a fustercluck could very well scare away potential FAs who were otherwise disposed to come. You have to keep the framework of a functioning system up and running. That's how the Spurs have kept it going year after year. The Patriots.

With only Tobias, Lou and Trezz returning from last year as major contributors, it's a miracle to be where we are right now. But at least the rest--Bobi, Sindarius, Ty, and injury returnees Gallo, Avery and Pat Bev [and Luc if he ever shows up] know the system. That's a critical mass.

Continuity is a big deal in the NBA--otherwise it's playground ball, and that only gets you so far.

I think Kawhi's gonna have a tough decision if Toronto gets to the Finals. And if the Clippers look like the mess that the Lakers are without LeBron--and we could well be even worse--if I'm Kawhi, I sign on for another year or two in Toronto and keep my options open just like Westbrook did in OKC a few years back.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#219 » by Clemenza » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:36 am

esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:

I don't believe that's necessarily so. We still have the remnants of a winning culture [for which I credit CP and to a lesser extent Doc and Blake]. I think turning this team into a fustercluck could very well scare away potential FAs who were otherwise disposed to come. You have to keep the framework of a functioning system up and running. That's how the Spurs have kept it going year after year. The Patriots.

With only Tobias, Lou and Trezz returning from last year as major contributors, it's a miracle to be where we are right now. But at least the rest--Bobi, Sindarius, Ty, and injury returnees Gallo, Avery and Pat Bev [and Luc if he ever shows up] know the system. That's a critical mass.

Continuity is a big deal in the NBA--otherwise it's playground ball, and that only gets you so far.

I think Kawhi's gonna have a tough decision if Toronto gets to the Finals. And if the Clippers look like the mess that the Lakers are without LeBron--and we could well be even worse--if I'm Kawhi, I sign on for another year or two in Toronto and keep my options open just like Westbrook did in OKC a few years back.

So adding Jerome and Motley to the rotation and giving SGA more minutes would turn the team into a clusterf*ck??? Seeing young talent with upside develop while playing alongside Trez, Lou, Gallo, and Tobias should really entice a free agent or two.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#220 » by Clemenza » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:41 am

Galloisdaman wrote:
Clemenza wrote:

I think Butler could potentially have problems with any player, coach or team at this point. I think he will be in less demand than previously believed because of his issues.

The Clippers could get a big name FA but I would not count that chicken before it is hatched. I think there is a chance they come up empty as well. If they do I hope is not Butler. I think they could end up regretting that outcome.

True nothing is out of the question when dealing with Butler but he's only gone after mentally weak links like Wiggins and Kat. He's not dumb enough to go after superstars with rings and a Finals mvp trophy. Trust me he's not going after a Bron, Durant, Step, Kawhi, etc. If anything they'll have to question him if it came down to it.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers