ImageImageImageImageImage

Jimmy Butler Showed Interest in Clippers; Traded To Philadelphia

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Should the Clippers pursue Jimmy Butler? (Check all that you agree with)

Poll ended at Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:47 am

Wait until the offseason and sign as a FA ($139.3M / 4yrs)
11%
Trade for him now and re-sign in offseason ($187.9M / 5yrs)
4%
Avoid him at all costs (Age, Injury and Chemistry concerns)
7%
Are you willing to part willing to part with Harris?
11%
Are you willing to part with Robinson?
14%
Are you willing to part with Gilgeous-Alexander?
7%
Are you willing to part with Williams?
21%
Are you willing to take on Dieng in a package deal with Butler?
4%
Jimmy Butler is worth the max
4%
Jimmy Butler is worth 90% of the max ($169.1M / 5yrs or $125.4 / 4yrs)
18%

Total votes: 28

Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Re: Jimmy Butler Showed Interest in Clippers; Traded To Philadelphia 

Post#221 » by Galloisdaman » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:54 am

Only time will tell but he is 3 for 3 in teams he has had issues with so far. Issues aside I'm not even sure he will be worth the money he will want long term. It will be a risk in multiple ways.

Clemenza wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Jimmy is not going to question a superstar like Kawhi. Maybe over something like a Wing Stop flavor but it sure as hell won't be basketball related that's for sure.

-This is another reason I want the team to just play the youngsters and keep the first round draft pick cause it definitely looks like we're getting a star or two this off season. There's no need to play these washed up vets to try to look competitive for potential free agents... they're already coming no matter what!

I think Butler could potentially have problems with any player, coach or team at this point. I think he will be in less demand than previously believed because of his issues.

The Clippers could get a big name FA but I would not count that chicken before it is hatched. I think there is a chance they come up empty as well. If they do I hope is not Butler. I think they could end up regretting that outcome.

True nothing is out of the question when dealing with Butler but he's only gone after mentally weak links like Wiggins and Kat. He's not dumb enough to go after superstars with rings and a Finals mvp trophy. Trust me he's not going after a Bron, Durant, Step, Kawhi, etc. If anything they'll have to question him if it came down to it.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#222 » by esqtvd » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:11 am

Clemenza wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Jimmy is not going to question a superstar like Kawhi. Maybe over something like a Wing Stop flavor but it sure as hell won't be basketball related that's for sure.

-This is another reason I want the team to just play the youngsters and keep the first round draft pick cause it definitely looks like we're getting a star or two this off season. There's no need to play these washed up vets to try to look competitive for potential free agents... they're already coming no matter what!

I don't believe that's necessarily so. We still have the remnants of a winning culture [for which I credit CP and to a lesser extent Doc and Blake]. I think turning this team into a fustercluck could very well scare away potential FAs who were otherwise disposed to come. You have to keep the framework of a functioning system up and running. That's how the Spurs have kept it going year after year. The Patriots.

With only Tobias, Lou and Trezz returning from last year as major contributors, it's a miracle to be where we are right now. But at least the rest--Bobi, Sindarius, Ty, and injury returnees Gallo, Avery and Pat Bev [and Luc if he ever shows up] know the system. That's a critical mass.

Continuity is a big deal in the NBA--otherwise it's playground ball, and that only gets you so far.

I think Kawhi's gonna have a tough decision if Toronto gets to the Finals. And if the Clippers look like the mess that the Lakers are without LeBron--and we could well be even worse--if I'm Kawhi, I sign on for another year or two in Toronto and keep my options open just like Westbrook did in OKC a few years back.

So adding Jerome and Motley to the rotation and giving SGA more minutes would turn the team into a clusterf*ck???

If it's significant minutes, now, with Jerome, I expect yes. Motley, I dunno. At the moment, there's no reason to expect a raw rookie like Rome to simply be able to jump into the guard rotation. But I must admit that the situation at center is far more dire. [See above.] That's an issue far more pressing than Avery.

Seeing young talent with upside develop while playing alongside Trez, Lou, Gallo, and Tobias should really entice a free agent or two.

Worked in sparingly, sure. But the NBA is a tough town. Many teams get eaten alive when they get past their top 3 or 5. And to start 2 rookies? Fustercluck. Comedy. We have enough problem with turnovers as it is.

Shai is one of the best rookies in the league and, well, don't take my word for it.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/la-sp-clippers-report-20190115-story.html

BTW, Jerome is up tonight. The plan was always to work him in by the end of the year, but injuries have delayed that.

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#223 » by esqtvd » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:20 am

Galloisdaman wrote:Only time will tell but he is 3 for 3 in teams he has had issues with so far. Issues aside I'm not even sure he will be worth the money he will want long term. It will be a risk in multiple ways.

Clemenza wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
I think Butler could potentially have problems with any player, coach or team at this point. I think he will be in less demand than previously believed because of his issues.

The Clippers could get a big name FA but I would not count that chicken before it is hatched. I think there is a chance they come up empty as well. If they do I hope is not Butler. I think they could end up regretting that outcome.

True nothing is out of the question when dealing with Butler but he's only gone after mentally weak links like Wiggins and Kat. He's not dumb enough to go after superstars with rings and a Finals mvp trophy. Trust me he's not going after a Bron, Durant, Step, Kawhi, etc. If anything they'll have to question him if it came down to it.

Having forced his way out of a loser situation in Minnesota, Butler also needs to force the issue in Philly to find out what's what before he re-signs there.

I watch a lot of Sixers games and I'm not sure Brett Brown has much of a system. Acc to this, Butler has a point.

https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/05/philadelphia-76ers-jimmy-butler-role-concern-brett-brown/

Jimmy Butler has not been used enough in pick-and-roll or isolation

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?

Return to Los Angeles Clippers