ImageImageImageImageImage

Preferred Partner for Kawhi Leonard on Clips Poll

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Which of the Following Players Would You Most Like to Pair with Kawhi for the Clippers?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:22 am

Jimmy Butler
4%
Kevin Durant
39%
Kyrie Irving
4%
Anthony Davis
21%
Giannis Antetokounmpo
14%
Other (specify in thread)
18%

Total votes: 28

Yogatti
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,194

Re: Preferred Partner for Kawhi Leonard on Clips Poll 

Post#21 » by Yogatti » Tue Apr 2, 2019 8:25 am

I'd rather just keep the roster instead of trading the entire farm for Anthony Davis. I think he is overrated because he never lead his team anywhere. Only been in the playoffs twice his whole career and it's not like he has a bad supporting cast. Jrue Holiday, Mirotic, Julius Randle and he still couldn't get it done? I'll pass
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#22 » by QRich3 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 9:56 am

Most I'd give for Davis would be Gallo+Harrell+Sham+3 picks (Miami's, Philly's and ours next year). I don't think it's enough to get into the bidding war, but we'd still have a team left, specially if we manage to get a max FA. I wouldn't put Shai into the package unless he's pretty much the whole package, which probably breaks the deal, but I'd rather build the long way and he's the cornerstone.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,428

Post#23 » by TrueLAfan » Tue Apr 2, 2019 4:30 pm

It’s a different conversation than it was a few months ago—a much different conversation that I (and I think most everyone) thought we’d be having. It’s not a question of “Who can we pair with Kawhi Leonard to make us a conference/NBA finals competitor?” anymore. It’s “How much more than Kawhi do we need to be a conference/NBA finals competitor?” Because, as of now:

-- We’re incredibly young
-- We’ve got a bunch of future draft picks
-- We’re on pace to win 48-50 games

You can say that it’s unlikely that some players will be as good next year, or that we’ll remain as healthy. That’s true. But the health question is true for everyone at any time, which makes it largely non-question. And I think it’s likely that players that improve will more than offset players that decline. Specifically—I think Shai, Sham, Zubac, and Rome will be better next year because—well, what rookies or players under 23 don’t make some significant improvements from season to season? That’s likely to be close to 40% of our team minutes next year that’s getting an upgrade. So our 48 win team will get better without anything new happening.

More and more, I’m thinking the right partner for Kawhi Leonard in 2019 is … Danilo Gallinari. Resign Bev and Zubac for $12-15 million combined. If you want to make a move, offer the remaining $13-17 million we would have to someone like Julius Randle or Bobby Portis. Or sign JaMychal Green for half of that—I mean, he’s capable out there—and get a couple of veteran pieces. I think we’d be, at worst, a 55 win conference final contender next year, with a young more and multiple draft picks and some cap flexibility in 2020.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,749

Post#24 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Apr 2, 2019 4:46 pm

I was the one who voted for KD.8-)

10 years ago I think the clear answer would be AD, but in today's game I think KD adds more upside to this team, given that we have a pretty good center platoon right now. With KD, Lou, and Gallo we would never lack for scoring punch.

I will do the other poll after the postseason. :-D
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,835

Post#25 » by SK21209 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 5:46 pm

I've always wanted to see Klay and Kawhi, it would be a very rich man's version of the Danny Green-Kawhi which has worked well for years.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,835

Post#26 » by SK21209 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 5:52 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:It’s a different conversation than it was a few months ago—a much different conversation that I (and I think most everyone) thought we’d be having. It’s not a question of “Who can we pair with Kawhi Leonard to make us a conference/NBA finals competitor?” anymore. It’s “How much more than Kawhi do we need to be a conference/NBA finals competitor?” Because, as of now:

-- We’re incredibly young
-- We’ve got a bunch of future draft picks
-- We’re on pace to win 48-50 games

You can say that it’s unlikely that some players will be as good next year, or that we’ll remain as healthy. That’s true. But the health question is true for everyone at any time, which makes it largely non-question. And I think it’s likely that players that improve will more than offset players that decline. Specifically—I think Shai, Sham, Zubac, and Rome will be better next year because—well, what rookies or players under 23 don’t make some significant improvements from season to season? That’s likely to be close to 40% of our team minutes next year that’s getting an upgrade. So our 48 win team will get better without anything new happening.

More and more, I’m thinking the right partner for Kawhi Leonard in 2019 is … Danilo Gallinari. Resign Bev and Zubac for $12-15 million combined. If you want to make a move, offer the remaining $13-17 million we would have to someone like Julius Randle or Bobby Portis. Or sign JaMychal Green for half of that—I mean, he’s capable out there—and get a couple of veteran pieces. I think we’d be, at worst, a 55 win conference final contender next year, with a young more and multiple draft picks and some cap flexibility in 2020.

I'm with you on the team being fine with adding only Kawhi, but I don't think they can count on all those young guys automatically improving. Tatum and Mitchell were great last year but are at best the same guys this year.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,091

My Feelings Haven't Changed 

Post#27 » by Wammy Giveaway » Tue Apr 2, 2019 6:19 pm

Kawhi Leonard may be the closest person to embody a Spursian personality, but there is still that lingering doubt the other shoe will drop. The Clippers losing history is going to rear its ugly head but not of their own volition. It's gonna be like Me, Myself And Irene where Charlie Baileygates struggles to take control of his body with his darker alter ego Hank unleashed.

The Clippers have a 3-1 omen, they lost their superstars, they're back to being losers from an image perspective, which is why the role player method has become so important to them. With just role players, Doc Rivers has rediscovered himself. With just role players, the Clippers reputation as complainers with fragile egos is no more. With just role players, the Clippers have learned that love and respect is not given to you, it's earned. The Clippers should continue rolling with the role players for as long as they can. After all, the Clippers are the fourth in a case study that you don't need superstars to make the playoffs, maybe go deep, or to really rub it in, win it all.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,226

Post#28 » by Clemenza » Wed Apr 3, 2019 5:51 am

I'm probably one of the few that believes we only need on max guy in either Kawhi or Durant. Either one would fit in flawlessly at the three right now. Add in another and we have to damn near restructure the rotation cause we also have to add in that Shai and Shamet are going to be that next up and coming backcourt duo that will need their touches and shots. Plus the Lou/Trez duo and I believe Gallo might still be on the team. One max guy really is a seamless fit for the team without skipping a beat. I'd take two of course but really one max guy and adding another quality big should be the move.

We'll really know what's what during and after the playoffs. I got a feeling SGA is going to make a name for himself and be that guy this postseason and the narrative for us and our future will change in the media.
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,302

Post#29 » by Dynamix » Wed Apr 3, 2019 6:23 am

Clemenza wrote:I'm probably one of the few that believes we only need on max guy in either Kawhi or Durant. Either one would fit in flawlessly at the three right now. Add in another and we have to damn near restructure the rotation cause we also have to add in that Shai and Shamet are going to be that next up and coming backcourt duo that will need their touches and shots. Plus the Lou/Trez duo and I believe Gallo might still be on the team. One max guy really is a seamless fit for the team without skipping a beat. I'd take two of course but really one max guy and adding another quality big should be the move.

We'll really know what's what during and after the playoffs. I got a feeling SGA is going to make a name for himself and be that guy this postseason and the narrative for us and our future will change in the media.

You're definitely not alone on this and I doubt our FO put this roster together just to trade the best assets for AD. It actually kills me a bit inside whenever I see Shai (even Sham) or Trez's names thrown out there. Free agents and young talent development all the way!

But I will say that, as much as I love what Gallo's been doing for us this season, every part of me screams "Sell high!" before the injury bug catches up to him. Feels like we're seriously tempting fate hoping he can stay this healthy for 2-3 more years.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 727

Post#30 » by Captain Ballmer » Wed Apr 3, 2019 10:41 am

We need to decide on what to do with Gallo before looking for a partner for the Superstar we claim. In the playoffs lies the future of Gallo.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#31 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Apr 3, 2019 5:59 pm

Clemenza wrote:I'm probably one of the few that believes we only need on max guy in either Kawhi or Durant. Either one would fit in flawlessly at the three right now. Add in another and we have to damn near restructure the rotation cause we also have to add in that Shai and Shamet are going to be that next up and coming backcourt duo that will need their touches and shots. Plus the Lou/Trez duo and I believe Gallo might still be on the team. One max guy really is a seamless fit for the team without skipping a beat. I'd take two of course but really one max guy and adding another quality big should be the move.

It's actually looking like more of us agree with you than don't! I completely agree that adding 1 big FA could be a seamless fit with our current squad. We can keep Gallo next year, re-sign some guys to fair contracts, and still possible have some flexibility for 2020 offseason if the opportunity arises. With Gallo's contract ending, I don't think it would be that hard to clear up additional space if needed since we don't have any significant overpays on our roster.

(of course if we end up contending for a conference title next year, we could end up re-signing Gallo to a team friendly-deal.)
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#32 » by mkwest » Wed Apr 3, 2019 9:59 pm

Most of the max contracts are going to be around $32.4M in starting salary. Durant's starting salary is around ~$37.8M.

If the Clippers renounced everyone but Zubac, we're going to be around ~$55.5M under the cap, which is well under the ~$64-70M that we would need 2 full max FAs. Dumping Gallinari's salary is the easiest way to clear up the space. Combining other contracts would be the other way, but the team would be losing its most vital components in the process.

If you can sign both KD and Kawhi, I think you have to do it period. If you can manage to only get one of them, you're still better off than you were before. Signing one max allows the team the flexibility. We could sign a Kawhi-salaried FA and still maintain full bird rights on Beverley, Green & Zubac with a little room left (~$7-11M). That could be used at adding another rotation player via FA or in a trade. Then there's still the possibility of putting together a package mid season if any good opportunities arise.

As long as we don't overpay the wrong player, we should be in good shape. We could end up bringing in none of the big name FA's, but I trust this FO to adjust to however the offseason plays out.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,901

Post#33 » by esqtvd » Thu Apr 4, 2019 12:19 am

mkwest wrote:
As long as we don't overpay the wrong player, we should be in good shape. We could end up bringing in none of the big name FA's, but I trust this FO to adjust to however the offseason plays out.

This is where I make it Lee Jenkins, the Director of Intangibles and Atmospherics, plays out. We don't really know the inner dynamics of having Kawhi or KD [or Jimmy Butler for that matter] as a teammate really plays out in the real world. Lee Jenkins is gonna find out all the scuttlebutt that's out there.

I've thought from the first that Jerry and Lawrence and the rest will sort out the talent end. But as for the psychological fit, that's something that a guy like Lee Jenkins can find out through the trust and access to the NBA players he's cultivated over the years.

Even if Jenkins is getting paid a million a year, it's well worth the price if it scares us off a bad signing worth $100 million or more.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#34 » by Vae Victus » Thu Apr 4, 2019 1:24 am

Hell a Kawhi + AD offseason is possible, all while keeping Gallo.

Assuming everyone but Zubac is renounced, there's 25m in cap space assuming a 109m salary cap. AD only makes 27.1m so that means the Clips need to send out 2.1m in salary in order to absorb AD's contract outright.

Something like Shai + MIA 2021 FRP + PHI 2020 prot FRP is technically feasible. NOP gets a great young prospect, 2 FRPs, and 25mil in salary savings.

Whether the Clippers think that's worthwhile is up to them. Need to get a PG for the room MLE.
LakerClipperFan
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#35 » by LakerClipperFan » Thu Apr 4, 2019 2:16 am

No chance SGA is getting shipped out.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,226

Post#36 » by Clemenza » Thu Apr 4, 2019 2:28 am

Vae Victus wrote:Hell a Kawhi + AD offseason is possible, all while keeping Gallo.

Assuming everyone but Zubac is renounced, there's 25m in cap space assuming a 109m salary cap. AD only makes 27.1m so that means the Clips need to send out 2.1m in salary in order to absorb AD's contract outright.

Something like Shai + MIA 2021 FRP + PHI 2020 prot FRP is technically feasible. NOP gets a great young prospect, 2 FRPs, and 25mil in salary savings.

Whether the Clippers think that's worthwhile is up to them. Need to get a PG for the room MLE.

Man leave Shai's name out of trade talks around these parts bro
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#37 » by Vae Victus » Thu Apr 4, 2019 3:40 am

Im just saying, at this point, i think if the Logo wants AD, he's easily got the assets to make it happen.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#38 » by QRich3 » Thu Apr 4, 2019 11:43 am

He doesn't have a better package than either Boston or New York, certainly not easily. Lakers are debatable, depending on how much of their future they want to mortgage. And there might be more teams that offer a better package out of nowhere.

Either way, I don't think we're at the stage where we should go all in and trade half our roster and all of our future assets for one guy. Just keep building. Add one piece in free agency if possible, and keep building. Getting antsy to form a super team in one stroke is always an awful idea, and it doesn't fit our front office's MO.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#39 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Apr 4, 2019 4:54 pm

Vae Victus wrote:Hell a Kawhi + AD offseason is possible, all while keeping Gallo.

I would ship out SGA in that package to get AD any day of the week, but I don't think it's enough (and I don't want to give up too much of our current roster to get him.)

I mean we'd giving up a great prospect in SGA in that scenario, but the rest is future assets for a 26 year old superstar that we'd have a great chance of retaining after next season. Hypothetically if we made that trade for AD, signed KL, and then made a couple of tweaks around those additions, we'd be the favorites next year (assuming KD goes to NY.) We'd have a lot of offensive firepower considering we still have Lou and Danilo, and I think we'd have a lockdown defense to go with it (especially if we can keep Bev.)
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#40 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Apr 4, 2019 5:03 pm

QRich3 wrote:Either way, I don't think we're at the stage where we should go all in and trade half our roster and all of our future assets for one guy. Just keep building. Add one piece in free agency if possible, and keep building. Getting antsy to form a super team in one stroke is always an awful idea, and it doesn't fit our front office's MO.

To be honest, no team should be at the stage where they're offering what the Lakers reportedly offered. It's essentially a total rebuild, and hoping that you can land some ring-chaser types (not that the Lakers would be title favorites) to fill the black hole that is your roster.

It absolutely reeks of desperation, even though Magic probably doesn't think of it that way.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers