ImageImageImageImageImage

Game 13: Golden State Warriors (11-2) @ Los Angeles Clippers (7-5) - 10:30 PM ET

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

No Help from Refs 

Post#81 » by Ranma » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:48 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Re: Game 13: Golden State Warriors (11-2) @ Los Angeles Clippers (7-5) - 10:30 PM ET 

Post#82 » by mkwest » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:17 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Escalation in Tension 

Post#83 » by Ranma » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:21 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Nuthin' But a Dray Thang 

Post#84 » by Ranma » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:39 pm

mkwest wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dray ain't exactly wrong. He wooed KD to join his bandwagon in Golden State by whispering sweet nothings into his ear. Now he just verbally pimp-slapped him last night for acting up. KD looks like Dray's ho to me.

Ranma
RealGM

Apples to Oranges 

Post#85 » by Ranma » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:47 pm

mkwest wrote:
Read on Twitter

While what Shaun said was technically true, Shai doesn't have near the same potential as Shaun did prior to his career-threatening injury. Shaun was slower to adapt and definitely more tentative, especially with respect to Cassell constantly challenging him to step up to take over the lead guard position. Shai has been quicker to adjust and is more mentally tough than Shaun was.

Yes, Shai certainly has the potential to exceed what Shaun has accomplished, but during their respective draft years, Shaun was the more generational talent.

Read on Twitter
Popovich
Pro Prospect
And1: 293

Re: Game 13: Golden State Warriors (11-2) @ Los Angeles Clippers (7-5) - 10:30 PM ET 

Post#86 » by Popovich » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:12 am

Clemenza wrote:
I gotta funny feelin' SGA is going to eventually take over this team like he should. Trez as well. Gallo and Tobias are 2nd option types on offense. Definitely talented but not #1 options nor max players. I think Jerome should get the "tryout minutes" that Ty and Thornwell got the last couple of games. Sin doesn't look good and Ty can't finish at the basket.

I think than there is no players in LAC for waste. Everyone should get opportunity and no one should feel mad if he sits a game or 2 even a bunch of games. This tactic is also good for keeping team healthy too , both physically and mentally if everyone could feel it's own contribution to success. Keeping positive record is out of great importance here. Told you Gortat is valuable, Doc knows why he brought him, he helps playbook schemes. Season is long and absolutely everyone should be put in use. Eventually , somewhere deep in the second part of the season some cuts should be made, but up until then let's role with various options and keep our opponents uncertain and unready for our lineups. Yeah SGA is really playing on mature level.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,225

Re: Apples to Oranges 

Post#87 » by Clemenza » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:41 am

Ranma wrote:
mkwest wrote:
Read on Twitter

While what Shaun said was technically true, Shai doesn't have near the same potential as Shaun did prior to his career-threatening injury. Shaun was slower to adapt and definitely more tentative, especially with respect to Cassell constantly challenging him to step up to take over the lead guard position. Shai has been quicker to adjust and is more mentally tough than Shaun was.

Yes, Shai certainly has the potential to exceed what Shaun has accomplished, but during their respective draft years, Shaun was the more generational talent.

That was more media hype though and not necessarily the reality. I've heard numerous people said his lack of strength and injuries probably would've been exposed for all to see if he played at least one year at Duke which he was supposed to do. All those high school straight to the NBA players had a little mystique to them simply because they bypassed college but alot of them fizzled out and a few became nice role players at best sort of like Livingston is today. He didn't really even scream star player even before his horrific injury while on our team.

-Shai is way better than Shaun at this age.
Popovich
Pro Prospect

Post#88 » by Popovich » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:22 am

Don't forget this argument, today's NBA is of a better quality. Never was such a number of great players playing in their prime at the same time like nowadays. Records are being brake on daily basis. Look how much quality is there just among rookies.

MOD Please DELETE this post , my other post down is what I wanted.
Popovich
Pro Prospect

Post#89 » by Popovich » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:24 am

Clemenza wrote:

Don't forget this argument, today's NBA is of a better quality. Never was such a number of great players playing in their prime at the same time like nowadays. Records are being brake on daily basis. Look how much quality is there just among rookies and for god sake look at the guard SGA is facing in every game.
Ranma
RealGM

What Could Have Been 

Post#90 » by Ranma » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:26 am

Clemenza wrote:That was more media hype though and not necessarily the reality. I've heard numerous people said his lack of strength and injuries probably would've been exposed for all to see if he played at least one year at Duke which he was supposed to do. All those high school straight to the NBA players had a little mystique to them simply because they bypassed college but alot of them fizzled out and a few became nice role players at best sort of like Livingston is today. He didn't really even scream star player even before his horrific injury while on our team.

I'm not going to dispute Shaun's tentative nature as opposed to Shai's determination, which has allowed for his quick and remarkable adjustment to the NBA already. The thing with Shaun was that he was not all that hyped of a prospect prior to the 2004 NBA Draft. Leading up to the proceedings, Sebastian Telfair occupied a lot of the PG hype for most of the year after his appearance on the cover of Sports Illustrated and being the cousin of Stephon Marbury, but Ben Gordon and Devin Harris were the more notable PG prospects making noise during their respective college seasons.

If I recall correctly Shaun had helium during the pre-draft process after his measurements were taken and he tested off the charts on the agility drills. People looked closer at him and discovered his preternatural court vision and passing ability all packaged in a long athletic body. All of that still only vaulted him up to the 4th overall selection slot after Dwight Howard, Emeka Okafor, and Ben Gordon. I mean Coach Krzyzewski was looking forward to having Mr. Basketball of Illinois take over the PG reins at Duke, which says a lot of how talented he was.

Shaun was definitely thought of as a work in progress, but there was certainly a lot of promise to his game. The thing that was holding him back was his tentativeness and physical build, which was going to take time. Even as a rookie, he was showing glimpses of his ability as a playmaker and defender. While he seemed to be stunted by Cassell's competition for the starting PG position, the injury actually forced him to fight for his career and brought about the determination necessary for him to recover and still be a key contributor to the Warriors' championship runs. Given that, it was likely only a matter of time for Shaun to put things together.

Shai, on the other hand, was definitely more advanced and determined to be a productive pro. The kid has worked on his body but still needs to develop in that regard. Still, it's only a matter of time before he gets there barring any unforeseen circumstances. What Shai is doing is not at all the norm, which says a lot about his character and maturity, which can't be expected of most high school graduates regardless of how talented they are. Jonathan Bender comes to mind, but so does Kevin Garnett.

While I think Shaun was definitely the more talented prospect when he was drafted, Shai is already proving to be the safer bet as a player who will work his way into a possible All-Star selection one day. Shai definitely has the edge on Shaun with regards to mental toughness and compete, but it also says a lot about Shaun for him to even have an NBA career right now.
Ranma
RealGM

Debate on Great 

Post#91 » by Ranma » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:35 am

Popovich wrote:Don't forget this argument, today's NBA is of a better quality. Never was such a number of great players playing in their prime at the same time like nowadays. Records are being brake on daily basis. Look how much quality is there just among rookies and for god sake look at the guard SGA is facing in every game.

I was actually thinking about this with respect to other players, but I have to disagree. This recency bias has people thinking that Kobe or LeBron in their prime would be better than peak Michael Jordan. While I was certainly critical of MJ's early ball-hogging, he's proven to be the most transcendent talent. MJ won multiple dunk contests and went head-to-head against Dominique Wilkins in those competitions. His dunks are still some of the most graceful and inspirational ever put on film. He dunked on Ewing, Mourning, and Mutombo. MJ helped develop Scottie Pippen to be a top-50 all-time great.

Kobe copied practically all of Air Jordan's moves. MJ formed a dynasty in Chicago playing against the Bad Boys of Detroit, the Lakers and Celtics while LeBron went from town to town to win his rings as a mercenary teaming up with other great players. LeBron may have the size and maybe even strength advantage, but you're not going to convince me that Jordan wouldn't beat either of them one-on-one in their respective primes.
Ranma
RealGM

KD Apparently Can Dish It But Not Take It 

Post#92 » by Ranma » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:57 am

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#93 » by esqtvd » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:07 am

Clemenza wrote:
Ranma wrote:
mkwest wrote:
Read on Twitter

That was more media hype though and not necessarily the reality. I've heard numerous people said his lack of strength and injuries probably would've been exposed for all to see if he played at least one year at Duke which he was supposed to do. All those high school straight to the NBA players had a little mystique to them simply because they bypassed college but alot of them fizzled out and a few became nice role players at best sort of like Livingston is today. He didn't really even scream star player even before his horrific injury while on our team.

Shaun was a project. The Shai "project" didn't even last through the preseason before he cracked the rotation.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#94 » by esqtvd » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:12 am

Popovich wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
I gotta funny feelin' SGA is going to eventually take over this team like he should. Trez as well. Gallo and Tobias are 2nd option types on offense. Definitely talented but not #1 options nor max players. I think Jerome should get the "tryout minutes" that Ty and Thornwell got the last couple of games. Sin doesn't look good and Ty can't finish at the basket.

I think than there is no players in LAC for waste. Everyone should get opportunity and no one should feel mad if he sits a game or 2 even a bunch of games. This tactic is also good for keeping team healthy too , both physically and mentally if everyone could feel it's own contribution to success. Keeping positive record is out of great importance here. Told you Gortat is valuable, Doc knows why he brought him, he helps playbook schemes. Season is long and absolutely everyone should be put in use. Eventually , somewhere deep in the second part of the season some cuts should be made, but up until then let's role with various options and keep our opponents uncertain and unready for our lineups. Yeah SGA is really playing on mature level.

On a Doc Rivers team, if you earn minutes in practice, you get minutes. Obviously, Sindarius and Ty have been humping in practice.

OTOH, Avery and Pat Bev have earned the benefit of the doubt with quite solid NBA careers. You don't throw them in the dumpster either.

Trezz has earned as many minutes he can eat, but OTOH, it's good that Doc didn't sh*tcan Gortat either, who has built a creditable NBA career as a role player.

And SGA has played at a starter level from the first, and so Doc has given him as many minutes as he can go---38 vs GSW!
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#95 » by Galloisdaman » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:18 pm

It is really impressive how much of a team this has been so far this season. No egos. No divas. Just playing team ball. While there is small group of players this team needs to win there are also other guys stepping up and playing large roles. Last month I basically saw guys like Toby, Gallo and Lou as the main nucleus but now Trezz and SGA are coming up fast to help them. I think those are 5 legit players. If the Clippers can find 1 more guy they could really become dangerous.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Ranma
RealGM

Warriors Trying to Assuage Durant's Hurt Feelings 

Post#96 » by Ranma » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:04 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
Ranma
RealGM

Settle Down Podcast Episode 4 + ESPN Clips 

Post#97 » by Ranma » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:43 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,225

Post#98 » by Clemenza » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:16 am

Jerome scored 35 for Ontario :o

-Can't wait to unleash Jerome!
GeetIt
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#99 » by GeetIt » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:42 pm

Watch closely as SGA left Looney to make a play on Draymond's turnover. Draymond was most likely waiting for Klay to come around for a corner three which might have been there since Tobias left that assignment right before the SGA strip.
Ranma
RealGM

Draymond Addresses Media 

Post#100 » by Ranma » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:47 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Clippers