ImageImageImageImageImage

OFFICIAL: Harris, Marjanovic & Scott Traded to 76ers for Shamet, Chandler & Picks

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan, mkwest

User avatar
Galloisdaman
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,623
And1: 798
Joined: Mar 17, 2011

Re: OFFICIAL: Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic & Mike Scott Traded to 76ers 

Post#181 » by Galloisdaman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:21 am

esqtvd wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
esqtvd wrote:


Funny you got 2 add-1s from the usual antagonists for what I've been saying all along.

LOL indeed

"playing the kids" is lazy and stupid
recipe for mediocrity if not disaster


I think every situation has to be looked at in context.

If somebody said play the kids no matter what the results for a team in a playoff race I would disagree. Every player should earn their minutes (both vets and rookies).

If somebody said play the rookies in the last month after a team was eliminated from the playoff race I would agree for three reasons.

1. They would gain experience and hopefully raise their confidence going in to their next season.
2. It would give the coaches a good chance to evaluate them.
3. There would be nothing to lose and might actually lead to a better draft pick.



we'll see
when the last month comes

meanwhile, we have not been there all season
and we're not there now
it's been a moot argument to this point
because Ballmer don't play that


did you know last year's 42-40 was only the third non-CP3 winning season since the Clippers arrived in LA in 1984?

some of us are quite aware :wink:


I'm an old timer so my thinking is you never play to lose. Is that the smartest thinking? Probably not but that is just my personal instinct. It may be outdated thinking but I am who I am. I want the shot at the playoffs. GS might beat the Clipps 99 times out of 100 but I want that 1 chance to win. Just like when Denver upset Seattle.
User avatar
esqtvd
Analyst
Posts: 3,241
And1: 725
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: OFFICIAL: Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic & Mike Scott Traded to 76ers 

Post#182 » by esqtvd » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:27 am

Galloisdaman wrote:
I'm an old timer so my thinking is you never play to lose. Is that the smartest thinking? Probably not but that is just my personal instinct. It may be outdated thinking but I am who I am. I want the shot at the playoffs. GS might beat the Clipps 99 times out of 100 but I want that 1 chance to win. Just like when Denver upset Seattle.



well let's not get carried away LOL


FTR, I'm just interested in a winning season
42-40 and keeping the pick again is fine with me
..............................................................................IGNORED: nobody really, though some folks tend to make my eyes glaze over :lol:
User avatar
Quake Griffin
RealGM
Posts: 14,091
And1: 3,863
Joined: Jul 06, 2012
     

Re: OFFICIAL: Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic & Mike Scott Traded to 76ers 

Post#183 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:37 am

Galloisdaman wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
I think every situation has to be looked at in context.

If somebody said play the kids no matter what the results for a team in a playoff race I would disagree. Every player should earn their minutes (both vets and rookies).

If somebody said play the rookies in the last month after a team was eliminated from the playoff race I would agree for three reasons.

1. They would gain experience and hopefully raise their confidence going in to their next season.
2. It would give the coaches a good chance to evaluate them.
3. There would be nothing to lose and might actually lead to a better draft pick.



we'll see
when the last month comes

meanwhile, we have not been there all season
and we're not there now
it's been a moot argument to this point
because Ballmer don't play that


did you know last year's 42-40 was only the third non-CP3 winning season since the Clippers arrived in LA in 1984?

some of us are quite aware :wink:


I'm an old timer so my thinking is you never play to lose. Is that the smartest thinking? Probably not but that is just my personal instinct. It may be outdated thinking but I am who I am. I want the shot at the playoffs. GS might beat the Clipps 99 times out of 100 but I want that 1 chance to win. Just like when Denver upset Seattle.

Understandable and respectable. The line of thinking doesn't pretend to be something it's not.
Can't argue with your instincts. Respect for acknowledging the other side to this.

FTR, If you give me the option of giving Jerry West an opportunity to make our roster better or not...I'm always going to choose the option of giving Jerry West another opportunity to make our roster better.
Clever reactions to aggressive situations

#NoMoreDocRiversScholarships
User avatar
Galloisdaman
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,623
And1: 798
Joined: Mar 17, 2011

Re: OFFICIAL: Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic & Mike Scott Traded to 76ers 

Post#184 » by Galloisdaman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:13 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

we'll see
when the last month comes

meanwhile, we have not been there all season
and we're not there now
it's been a moot argument to this point
because Ballmer don't play that


did you know last year's 42-40 was only the third non-CP3 winning season since the Clippers arrived in LA in 1984?

some of us are quite aware :wink:


I'm an old timer so my thinking is you never play to lose. Is that the smartest thinking? Probably not but that is just my personal instinct. It may be outdated thinking but I am who I am. I want the shot at the playoffs. GS might beat the Clipps 99 times out of 100 but I want that 1 chance to win. Just like when Denver upset Seattle.

Understandable and respectable. The line of thinking doesn't pretend to be something it's not.
Can't argue with your instincts. Respect for acknowledging the other side to this.

FTR, If you give me the option of giving Jerry West an opportunity to make our roster better or not...I'm always going to choose the option of giving Jerry West another opportunity to make our roster better.


Both sides in this discussion have legit views. Its just like many serious issues in the world. People should not ignore the other sides because they have other views. :)
User avatar
esqtvd
Analyst
Posts: 3,241
And1: 725
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: OFFICIAL: Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic & Mike Scott Traded to 76ers 

Post#185 » by esqtvd » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:14 am

Galloisdaman wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
I'm an old timer so my thinking is you never play to lose. Is that the smartest thinking? Probably not but that is just my personal instinct. It may be outdated thinking but I am who I am. I want the shot at the playoffs. GS might beat the Clipps 99 times out of 100 but I want that 1 chance to win. Just like when Denver upset Seattle.

Understandable and respectable. The line of thinking doesn't pretend to be something it's not.
Can't argue with your instincts. Respect for acknowledging the other side to this.

FTR, If you give me the option of giving Jerry West an opportunity to make our roster better or not...I'm always going to choose the option of giving Jerry West another opportunity to make our roster better.


Both sides in this discussion have legit views. Its just like many serious issues in the world. People should not ignore the other sides because they have other views. :)



actually they plus-1ed my views when YOU wrote them LOL

enough already

Avery is gone
we have a winning record
the kids will play as many minutes as they earn
and don't make a mess of it
..............................................................................IGNORED: nobody really, though some folks tend to make my eyes glaze over :lol:
User avatar
Quake Griffin
RealGM
Posts: 14,091
And1: 3,863
Joined: Jul 06, 2012
     

Re: OFFICIAL: Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic & Mike Scott Traded to 76ers 

Post#186 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:15 am

Plus 1d him for quality and mature discussion on the issue...acknowledging the value of my position. We clearly differ in our views.

This is enough though.
The organization agrees with me. We will be developing players.

Youngins developing.
Assets in the bank.
FRP are valued.
No more bummy vets on the Doc Rivers’ Scholarship.

Good day to be a Clipper fan.
Clever reactions to aggressive situations

#NoMoreDocRiversScholarships
User avatar
esqtvd
Analyst
Posts: 3,241
And1: 725
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: OFFICIAL: Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic & Mike Scott Traded to 76ers 

Post#187 » by esqtvd » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:19 am

no, Ballmer and Doc and West never agreed with you

we have a winning record LOL
..............................................................................IGNORED: nobody really, though some folks tend to make my eyes glaze over :lol:
User avatar
Quake Griffin
RealGM
Posts: 14,091
And1: 3,863
Joined: Jul 06, 2012
     

Re: OFFICIAL: Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic & Mike Scott Traded to 76ers 

Post#188 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:25 am

Doc disagreed with me for sure****
FTFY.

He believed in bums like Avery.
Just like he probably believed a dumb idea like keeping Tobias happy was our number one priority this year.

Just lol.
Clever reactions to aggressive situations

#NoMoreDocRiversScholarships
User avatar
esqtvd
Analyst
Posts: 3,241
And1: 725
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
Location: LA LA LA LAND
Contact:
     

Re: OFFICIAL: Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic & Mike Scott Traded to 76ers 

Post#189 » by esqtvd » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:52 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Doc disagreed with me for sure****
FTFY.

He believed in bums like Avery.
Just like he probably believed a dumb idea like keeping Tobias happy was our number one priority this year.

Just lol.



we have a winning record
and it wasn't that he was excelling [um, duh]
it was that Avery took minutes from nobody

Ty and Sindarius are G-Leaguers
Shai would learn nothing playing beside them instead
plus we have a winning record


you don't seem to grasp the argument
attacking a position I don't even hold


as for keeping Tobias happy, it was the same goal--keeping a winning culture
we have a winning record

mission accomplished
so far


you wanted to tank and throw away a whole season and our winning culture
just for a stinking middle-teens draft pick



you lost that battle
in fact, it was never an option
the org has done exactly as I said they would
and should


so give up the Avery bleat already
enjoy the wins

enjoy it even if Garrett Temple gets minutes ahead of Sindarius
and Jerome Robinson
not to mention Ty

"play the kids" works better as a slogan, not a strategy
..............................................................................IGNORED: nobody really, though some folks tend to make my eyes glaze over :lol:
User avatar
Quake Griffin
RealGM
Posts: 14,091
And1: 3,863
Joined: Jul 06, 2012
     

Re: OFFICIAL: Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic & Mike Scott Traded to 76ers 

Post#190 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:03 pm

Jerry West getting another pick in his limited and last run as an exec. > Your obsession with a 42nd win over 41, getting swept by the Warriors, and magic fairy dust words like culture.

The pick is still on the table. Tobias being any priority here is not. Go figure.

Funny.
The tank was on to start this thread. Now the kids aren’t sucking and we are fully invested in development, you act like this was your design all along.

L.
Clever reactions to aggressive situations

#NoMoreDocRiversScholarships
User avatar
Galloisdaman
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,623
And1: 798
Joined: Mar 17, 2011

Re: OFFICIAL: Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic & Mike Scott Traded to 76ers 

Post#191 » by Galloisdaman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:57 pm

esqtvd wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:Understandable and respectable. The line of thinking doesn't pretend to be something it's not.
Can't argue with your instincts. Respect for acknowledging the other side to this.

FTR, If you give me the option of giving Jerry West an opportunity to make our roster better or not...I'm always going to choose the option of giving Jerry West another opportunity to make our roster better.


Both sides in this discussion have legit views. Its just like many serious issues in the world. People should not ignore the other sides because they have other views. :)



actually they plus-1ed my views when YOU wrote them LOL

enough already

Avery is gone
we have a winning record
the kids will play as many minutes as they earn
and don't make a mess of it


That sounds good. I want to win. I want to make the playoffs. I may want to make the playoffs more than most folks on this board.
User avatar
Quake Griffin
RealGM
Posts: 14,091
And1: 3,863
Joined: Jul 06, 2012
     

Re: OFFICIAL: Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic & Mike Scott Traded to 76ers 

Post#192 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
Both sides in this discussion have legit views. Its just like many serious issues in the world. People should not ignore the other sides because they have other views. :)



actually they plus-1ed my views when YOU wrote them LOL

enough already

Avery is gone
we have a winning record
the kids will play as many minutes as they earn
and don't make a mess of it


That sounds good. I want to win. I want to make the playoffs. I may want to make the playoffs more than most folks on this board.

Gallo is 31 this calendar year.

He doesn’t have years to waste.
Clever reactions to aggressive situations

#NoMoreDocRiversScholarships
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
Posts: 7,502
And1: 425
Joined: Apr 11, 2001

Re: OFFICIAL: Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic & Mike Scott Traded to 76ers 

Post#193 » by TrueLAfan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:12 pm

I’d love to have the pick. And I’d love to win. I’d love to have the young guys develop. Think about it, people. We’re in a position to get all three.

For us to win, we need to have the young guys step up huge. SGA, Trezz, Zubac, Shamet, Rome—those guys are going to get plenty of minutes, so in order for us to get to the playoffs, at least of couple of them will have to step up in a significant way. Since Trezz and SGA are already playing well, stepping up for them would put them in high quality starter area. That would be very valuable. If we won 46 games and made the playoffs and Shamet averaged 13-3-3 as a 28 mpg player, and Zubac averaged 10-6 with over a block as a 20 mpg player and both were healthy and clearly improving, I think their (new) value would offset losing a #13 or #14 pick.

Realistically, to make the playoffs, we also need to stay injury free and have players come off the injured list and play well. We are light and small at SF; Chandler and Luc would help. A lot. I’m not sure that’s likely, though. 42 wins isn’t going to make the playoffs in the West. 45 games—maybe. Ivica Zubac, Garret Temple, JaMychal Green, Patrick Beverly, Landry Shamet—those guys are going to play close to half of our team minutes for a while—maybe all the way to the end of the season. I don’t think we have the firepower to go substantially over .500 the rest of the way, and we’ll need to.

So what it looks like is we’ll be competitive and tough and fall short. Our young guys will get a chance to play and we can see what they look like and increase their value either to us or in trade, and we’ll keep the pick. Win.

Or we’ll play so well that we’ll see that we have more and better young players than we thought, and we’ll get into the playoffs and get some experience in that arena, both as a team and an organization. Win.

To me, #2 would be worth a lot. And, really, I think we‘re still guard heavy. I would not (at all) be surprised if we traded Rome and the Philly pick and a couple of second rounders to, say, Houston for their current first round pick. Resign Bev and we’ve got a four guard rotation of SGA, Shamet, Lou and Bev. Win.
Image
User avatar
Quake Griffin
RealGM
Posts: 14,091
And1: 3,863
Joined: Jul 06, 2012
     

Re: OFFICIAL: Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic & Mike Scott Traded to 76ers 

Post#194 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:41 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:I’d love to have the pick. And I’d love to win. I’d love to have the young guys develop. Think about it, people. We’re in a position to get all three.

For us to win, we need to have the young guys step up huge. SGA, Trezz, Zubac, Shamet, Rome—those guys are going to get plenty of minutes, so in order for us to get to the playoffs, at least of couple of them will have to step up in a significant way. Since Trezz and SGA are already playing well, stepping up for them would put them in high quality starter area. That would be very valuable. If we won 46 games and made the playoffs and Shamet averaged 13-3-3 as a 28 mpg player, and Zubac averaged 10-6 with over a block as a 20 mpg player and both were healthy and clearly improving, I think their (new) value would offset losing a #13 or #14 pick.

Realistically, to make the playoffs, we also need to stay injury free and have players come off the injured list and play well. We are light and small at SF; Chandler and Luc would help. A lot. I’m not sure that’s likely, though. 42 wins isn’t going to make the playoffs in the West. 45 games—maybe. Ivica Zubac, Garret Temple, JaMychal Green, Patrick Beverly, Landry Shamet—those guys are going to play close to half of our team minutes for a while—maybe all the way to the end of the season. I don’t think we have the firepower to go substantially over .500 the rest of the way, and we’ll need to.

So what it looks like is we’ll be competitive and tough and fall short. Our young guys will get a chance to play and we can see what they look like and increase their value either to us or in trade, and we’ll keep the pick. Win.

Or we’ll play so well that we’ll see that we have more and better young players than we thought, and we’ll get into the playoffs and get some experience in that arena, both as a team and an organization. Win.

To me, #2 would be worth a lot. And, really, I think we‘re still guard heavy. I would not (at all) be surprised if we traded Rome and the Philly pick and a couple of second rounders to, say, Houston for their current first round pick. Resign Bev and we’ve got a four guard rotation of SGA, Shamet, Lou and Bev. Win.

Wait.

Explain your trade scenario with a Houston and why.

You put on a compelling case for Beal in the other thread btw.
Clever reactions to aggressive situations

#NoMoreDocRiversScholarships
User avatar
Galloisdaman
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,623
And1: 798
Joined: Mar 17, 2011

Re: OFFICIAL: Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic & Mike Scott Traded to 76ers 

Post#195 » by Galloisdaman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:47 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

actually they plus-1ed my views when YOU wrote them LOL

enough already

Avery is gone
we have a winning record
the kids will play as many minutes as they earn
and don't make a mess of it


That sounds good. I want to win. I want to make the playoffs. I may want to make the playoffs more than most folks on this board.

Gallo is 31 this calendar year.

He doesn’t have years to waste.


LOL neither do I ☺
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
Posts: 7,502
And1: 425
Joined: Apr 11, 2001

Re: OFFICIAL: Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic & Mike Scott Traded to 76ers 

Post#196 » by TrueLAfan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:12 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Wait.

Explain your trade scenario with a Houston and why.

You put on a compelling case for Beal in the other thread btw.


Sure. Shumpert and Green are in the final years of their deals. The leaves them with Harden, Paul, Gordon and (heh) Austin under contract next season. Considering the past injury history of Paul and Gordon, they need another guy who can play at least 10-15 mpg, probably more. They aren’t building for the future; they’re in “win now” mode. A #20 (or so) pick in an average draft isn’t likely to give them immediate help. A guy that could replicate some/most of that lost production at a minimal cost with upside would be of value to Houston.

Again, this is where our situation is great. If we don’t have a pick, it’ll be because our young guys have stepped up. Say Rome plays 12 mpg and averages 5.5 ppg on 44/37/80 the rest of the way. Not a huge jump, but that’s still a much more guaranteed floor than a draft pick would give—and you’d still have a young guy who’s developing. Like I said, if we don’t have a pick it will be because young guys have stepped up with increased minutes—and that give us more tradeable options.

So if we don’t have a first round pick but really want one, we'll be able to get one. I was just throwing Houston out as a possibility (because I don’t think they’ll give a crap about their pick except as a trade piece.)
Image
TheNewEra
RealGM
Posts: 18,199
And1: 4,867
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Lob City
       

Re: OFFICIAL: Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic & Mike Scott Traded to 76ers 

Post#197 » by TheNewEra » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:12 am

Galloisdaman wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
Both sides in this discussion have legit views. Its just like many serious issues in the world. People should not ignore the other sides because they have other views. :)



actually they plus-1ed my views when YOU wrote them LOL

enough already

Avery is gone
we have a winning record
the kids will play as many minutes as they earn
and don't make a mess of it


That sounds good. I want to win. I want to make the playoffs. I may want to make the playoffs more than most folks on this board.


No point making it as the 8th seed if they can’t move up by a certain point they should bottom out.
User avatar
Galloisdaman
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,623
And1: 798
Joined: Mar 17, 2011

Re: OFFICIAL: Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic & Mike Scott Traded to 76ers 

Post#198 » by Galloisdaman » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:19 pm

TheNewEra wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

actually they plus-1ed my views when YOU wrote them LOL

enough already

Avery is gone
we have a winning record
the kids will play as many minutes as they earn
and don't make a mess of it


That sounds good. I want to win. I want to make the playoffs. I may want to make the playoffs more than most folks on this board.


No point making it as the 8th seed if they can’t move up by a certain point they should bottom out.


Logically speaking you are probably right but I want the playoffs no matter what. I just want the team to have that crazy long shot chance. I would not even assume its as the #8 seed. I see a handful of teams that could end up anywhere from #5 to #10
User avatar
QRich3
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,511
And1: 3,542
Joined: Apr 03, 2011
 

Re: OFFICIAL: Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic & Mike Scott Traded to 76ers 

Post#199 » by QRich3 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:12 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:Logically speaking you are probably right but I want the playoffs no matter what. I just want the team to have that crazy long shot chance. I would not even assume its as the #8 seed. I see a handful of teams that could end up anywhere from #5 to #10

That's the mentality I would want out of my players and my coaching staff, and that's what I believe they're preaching to them, so I'm more than ok with it :)

But hopefully the front office has a much more long term mentality (and I'm pretty sure they do), cause as much fun as it could be taking a game or two out of the Warriors and dreaming of an upset, getting Zion Williamson would literally give us hundreds of hours during the next 7+ years that would be way more fun than that 1st round exit or possible upset. And I get the Zion ship already sailed, but this is the year of getting somewhere between the 7th and 10th lottery seeds, since with the improved odds it might be the best place to be to find a balance between development and lottery odds.

And regardless of Zion, I'm with Quake in that I want to give Jerry and them another chance at finding gold in the late lottery. Adding another super role player like Shai to this core would do wonders for our future.
User avatar
Galloisdaman
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,623
And1: 798
Joined: Mar 17, 2011

Re: OFFICIAL: Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic & Mike Scott Traded to 76ers 

Post#200 » by Galloisdaman » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:02 pm

I think many people expect the Clippers to just mail it in since this trade but they are not in horrible shape in the playoff race. The low minutes Doc played some guys in the game after the trade had me concerned that he was trying to lose. Sac lost last night. Lakers won. Clips could end up anywhere from #5 to #10. Will they go for it?

Return to Los Angeles Clippers