Kawhi and Giannis

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Kawhi and Giannis 

Post#1 » by TucsonClip » Wed Feb 6, 2019 10:21 pm

Say it with me Clippers fans...

The trade assets are now there for a run at Giannis next deadline/summer...

Woj keeps choosing his words very wisely when discussing the Clippers future plans outside of Kawhi. He keeps saying this sets them up for the "next Anthony Davis" that comes available...

Giannis is eligible for an extension next off season. Bledsoe and Middleton are free agents this summer. This is a big summer for the Bucks and two huge playoff runs. If the Bucks flame out and someone leaves, we could see Giannis try to force his way out of Milwaukee.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Re: Kawhi and Giannis 

Post#2 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Feb 6, 2019 11:25 pm

I've been a big Giannis fan since he first started getting a little draft buzz as a prospect, I'd love to see him on the Clippers, but it's way too early to even be thinking about this, IMO. The Bucks are winning, and by all accounts, Giannis loves Milwaukee.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,009

Post#3 » by mattg » Thu Feb 7, 2019 12:01 am

It’s more likely that Durant signs with Milwaukee this summer as a FA than it is Giannis forces his way to the clippers next year.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by TucsonClip » Thu Feb 7, 2019 12:34 am

Obviously this is a bit far fetched right now, but I dont think it is by any mistake that Woj has been referring to our future plans as, "being ready for the next Anthony Davis."

Considering that we have been on Kawhi for two entire seasons, as I have posted here many times, I dont think this is even close to being out of the realm of possibility.

- Shane Battier
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#5 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Feb 7, 2019 3:45 am

Are these two even a good pair?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#6 » by mkwest » Thu Feb 7, 2019 3:57 am

There's no player in the league that I would want more than Antetokounmpo. His FA is 2.5 years away and he has not really shown any frustrations with his situation as of yet. I don't think the Clippers can put all of their eggs in that basket. If we manage our assets well (i.e. draft well, adequate player development, maintain financially flexible, don't make bad signings, etc.), then maybe we will be in position if and when that time comes.

I just think that things would really have to go south in Milwaukee. Bledsoe, Middleton, Brogdon and Lopez are all FA's this summer. If management blows it or they have some heartbreaks in the postseason, maybe he will eventually be looking elsewhere.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#7 » by QRich3 » Thu Feb 7, 2019 12:45 pm

Getting Giannis is not a plan though, everyone wants to get Giannis but it's just not a thing you can plan.

You can do what Boston did, which is stockpile assets for the next star that's on the market, and be able to get picky when one does. They didn't specifically target Anthony Davis cause that's a thing that didn't depend on them. If Cousins hadn't torn his achilles he might've never even been tradeable. But they had that package ready and passed on using it when guys like Butler or Paul George became available.

And even with all that planning, now it seems Davis doesn't wanna go there, so again, this is not a thing you can plan. This is a thing you can be ready for if you have the luck to stumble on it. But realise the odds at it are minuscule.

Also, the Bucks are looking like a future juggernaut and a title contender for years to come. It's really not likely that he'll leave in a year or two.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by TucsonClip » Fri Feb 8, 2019 12:41 am

QRich3 wrote:Getting Giannis is not a plan though, everyone wants to get Giannis but it's just not a thing you can plan.

You can do what Boston did, which is stockpile assets for the next star that's on the market, and be able to get picky when one does. They didn't specifically target Anthony Davis cause that's a thing that didn't depend on them. If Cousins hadn't torn his achilles he might've never even been tradeable. But they had that package ready and passed on using it when guys like Butler or Paul George became available.

And even with all that planning, now it seems Davis doesn't wanna go there, so again, this is not a thing you can plan. This is a thing you can be ready for if you have the luck to stumble on it. But realise the odds at it are minuscule.

Also, the Bucks are looking like a future juggernaut and a title contender for years to come. It's really not likely that he'll leave in a year or two

I listened to too many podcasts this week, but I want to say it was McMullen who said they have been acquiring assets for two years+ with an eye on trading them in for Anthony Davis.

You can debate definitions/legitimacy regarding a plan for a free agent vs. a plan for trading for a star. We have been planning on Kawhi's free agency for two years, and the Celtics have been acquiring assets for Anthony Davis for two+ years.

Point being, I dont think its a coincidence Woj worded his statement (which he repeated multiple times the last 24 hours) the way he did.

Regarding the final two paragraphs, I am not disagreeing with you. That said, Brogdon, Middleton, Bledsoe and Mirotic are all free agents. To say they are building a juggernaut is a bit premature right now. Probably just as premature as me saying we are gearing for Giannis, should he decide he wants out.

- Shane Battier
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#9 » by QRich3 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 8:52 am

The Bucks are a juggernaut already, their point differential and SRS suggest they're the best team in the league by far until the Warriors start trying, and one of the best teams of the last decade (other than the Warriors, only the 2016 Spurs had a better SRS in the last 10 years). Something similar happened with the Mavs in 2011 while they were flying under the radar in the RS, but a bunch of advanced stats pointed at them being one of the main contenders. They also have a lot of flexibility, their main guys want to stay there, an amazing coach and a great front office. It's hard to find a better situation for Giannis tbh.

Not saying you disregard getting him or anything, just that "let's get the best young player in the league" is not something you can plan, first because every little kid just getting into basketball already had the same idea, let alone every front office, and second because it's not something you can just do. For the possibility to arise, you have to have so many factors out of your control to go your way, that you might as well build your plans around Zion after winning this year's lottery from the 14th seed.

Stockpiling future assets is always an amazing idea though, if the chance at Giannis comes at you outta nowhere, fantastic, but if it doesn't -as is most likely- there will be other top guys in the market at some point, or you can just use the assets to patiently build a good team. I like the idea of being prepared for it, but you have to realise it's such a long shot that you better have it as plan Z.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by TucsonClip » Sat Feb 9, 2019 12:25 am

QRich3 wrote:The Bucks are a juggernaut already, their point differential and SRS suggest they're the best team in the league by far until the Warriors start trying, and one of the best teams of the last decade (other than the Warriors, only the 2016 Spurs had a better SRS in the last 10 years). Something similar happened with the Mavs in 2011 while they were flying under the radar in the RS, but a bunch of advanced stats pointed at them being one of the main contenders. They also have a lot of flexibility, their main guys want to stay there, an amazing coach and a great front office. It's hard to find a better situation for Giannis tbh.

Not saying you disregard getting him or anything, just that "let's get the best young player in the league" is not something you can plan, first because every little kid just getting into basketball already had the same idea, let alone every front office, and second because it's not something you can just do. For the possibility to arise, you have to have so many factors out of your control to go your way, that you might as well build your plans around Zion after winning this year's lottery from the 14th seed.

Stockpiling future assets is always an amazing idea though, if the chance at Giannis comes at you outta nowhere, fantastic, but if it doesn't -as is most likely- there will be other top guys in the market at some point, or you can just use the assets to patiently build a good team. I like the idea of being prepared for it, but you have to realise it's such a long shot that you better have it as plan Z.

No doubt, they look absolutely amazing. Im actually rooting for them, because I love Giannis, I love Bud, and they are so much fun to watch.

My only point here is that I am attempting to read between the lines. I dont think its a coincidence Woj is speaking in those terms. Perhaps he isnt referring to anyone in general, perhaps he is and its not even Giannis. Im attempting to piece together what I know, with what I have read/heard, and a huge dash of reading between the lines (probably not a good idea).

I would say that these things are laid out well, well in advance. I know that for a fact. Obviously, I do not know anything surrounding Giannis, which is why im trying to pick out bits here and there, which might make me look quite foolish lol.

That said, regarding the Bucks, Lowe somewhat articulated my thoughts on Giannis today:

Even the placid Bucks have four starters entering free agency. Keeping all of them might vault Milwaukee into the luxury tax. Are the Bucks willing to do that if they lose in the second round? How would Giannis Antetokounmpo -- up for a supermax after next season -- react if Milwaukee were to let the wrong person walk?

That said, the rest of his paragraph is spot on, like you mention, the Bucks look like a juggernaut this season.

- Shane Battier
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by TucsonClip » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:07 pm

BUMP.

We are now in the running, should Giannis not sign an extension. Who knows how unlikely that will be, but the door is open.

- Shane Battier
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,078

Giannis Groundhog Day 

Post#12 » by Wammy Giveaway » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:00 pm

Some years ago, I opined that Giannis Antetokounmpo could be the next Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: he started with Bucks then moved to the Lakers. He also had a built and frame that reminds me of the Hall Of Famer, along with the potential of producing a move unique only to him that is nearly unguardable - doesn't need to be the sky hook, but innovative nonetheless. However, before Jabbar joined the Lakers, he won a title with the Bucks first (Championship in 1971; Jabbar joined Lakers in 1975 via trade).

Here's what I'm saying: history could repeat itself. A title in Milwaukee may happen first before he comes to the Clippers. The fact that the Clippers have a dynamic duo prepared in advanced with Leonard-George might speed up the timeline by some years.
Yogatti
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,194

Post#13 » by Yogatti » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:35 pm

No thanks. Giannis is overrated and Kawhi completely explosed him in the ECF.

No jump shot, no post moves, no footwork. Everything about Giannis' game is bulldozing his way to the basket. That might work in the regular season but you won't win playing like that in the playoffs
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,158

Post#14 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:05 pm

Yogatti wrote:No thanks. Giannis is overrated and Kawhi completely explosed him in the ECF.

No jump shot, no post moves, no footwork. Everything about Giannis' game is bulldozing his way to the basket. That might work in the regular season but you won't win playing like that in the playoffs

That's way too harsh. Just because Kawhi's better than him doesn't mean Giannis is "overrated." He's still really, really good.

As far as not being able to win with him in the playoffs, the Bucks just went further in the playoffs with Giannis last season than we ever have in the history of our franchise.
Yogatti
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,194

Post#15 » by Yogatti » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:10 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:As far as not being able to win with him in the playoffs, the Bucks just went further in the playoffs with Giannis last season than we ever have in the history of our franchise.

who was Giannis going up against? I can't even remember the first round opponent. 2nd round they were facing a Celtics team where they were dealing with chemistry issue(1. Everyone hated Kyrie 2. Kyrie mind was already on Brooklyn)

Return to Los Angeles Clippers