ImageImageImageImageImage

Jerry “That’s Cute” West???

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Re: Jerry “That’s Cute” West??? 

Post#61 » by NippySudz » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:39 pm

QRich3 wrote:The argument in the first page is not that he hasn't done anything or doesn't deserve to be thanked though, it's that nothing that happens there is his decision alone, and probably not many things originate as an idea of his, so we shouldn't assume he deserves ALL the credit.

The same way he said he barely did anything when he was asked about bringing those guys in, it's the same way Frank brushes away the credit given to him and says Jerry, Ballmer, Winger and them deserve all the credit, that's the extra-humble unselfish culture they have there, publicly at least. But it's been reported it was strictly Frank and Winger who were talking to OKC about George, so Jerry's role in getting George was probably just saying 'aye' in the meeting where they decided to move forward. He was however in the meeting with Kawhi at Doc's house, so I guess you can credit him with that allure to get big FA's.

But the point is none of this is just one person's merit. Screaming LOGO! after every Clippers transaction is a bit out of place imo.

I don't think that people think he gets ALL the credit. I think people think he gets the lionshare of the credit and jerry west should. LAC was hesitant to pull the trigger on george and West said go-ahead. Not to mention, he had the balls to trade griffin. The warriors wanted to trade klay for kevin love and he said no. So yeah, lionshare of the credit is deserved.

If the blake griffin trade fell apart, he would have taken the blame. Jerry west is very critical of himself. So, he should get the praise when they make big moves.

Lets stop pretending that He's not the main piece in all of this. The other guys matter, but they don't matter as much as Jerry West. He's that integral piece. No, he's not day to day, but it doesn't matter. Jerry west forms the gameplan on intergral things, the others in the front office team executes it. That's it. They matter but the braintrust is important. As Michael Franzese (former mob boss) says "do what you do best and delegate the rest." give the man his credit!
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,886

Post#62 » by esqtvd » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:46 pm

NippySudz wrote:
QRich3 wrote:The argument in the first page is not that he hasn't done anything or doesn't deserve to be thanked though, it's that nothing that happens there is his decision alone, and probably not many things originate as an idea of his, so we shouldn't assume he deserves ALL the credit.

The same way he said he barely did anything when he was asked about bringing those guys in, it's the same way Frank brushes away the credit given to him and says Jerry, Ballmer, Winger and them deserve all the credit, that's the extra-humble unselfish culture they have there, publicly at least. But it's been reported it was strictly Frank and Winger who were talking to OKC about George, so Jerry's role in getting George was probably just saying 'aye' in the meeting where they decided to move forward. He was however in the meeting with Kawhi at Doc's house, so I guess you can credit him with that allure to get big FA's.

But the point is none of this is just one person's merit. Screaming LOGO! after every Clippers transaction is a bit out of place imo.

I don't think that people think he gets ALL the credit. I think people think he gets the lionshare of the credit and jerry west should. LAC was hesitant to pull the trigger on george and West said go-ahead. Not to mention, he had the balls to trade griffin. The warriors wanted to trade klay for kevin love and he said no. So yeah, lionshare of the credit is deserved.

If the blake griffin trade fell apart, he would have taken the blame. Jerry west is very critical of himself. So, he should get the praise when they make big moves.

Lets stop pretending that He's not the main piece in all of this. The other guys matter, but they don't matter as much as Jerry West. He's that integral piece. No, he's not day to day, but it doesn't matter. Jerry west forms the gameplan on intergral things, the others in the front office team executes it. That's it. They matter but the braintrust is important. give the man his credit!

We will never know--or at least not until Lee Jenkins' book comes out in 2024 or so, LOL.

But this is undoubtedly true as well, that Jerry provided cover for every unpopular/questionable move. Had it been Doc, the sh*tstorms would have erupted among a certain segment of the fans, and the Clippers' reputation [esp re Blake, signing him then dumping him] would have taken a beating too.

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#63 » by NippySudz » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:24 pm

esqtvd wrote:
NippySudz wrote:

Lets stop pretending that He's not the main piece in all of this. The other guys matter, but they don't matter as much as Jerry West. He's that integral piece. No, he's not day to day, but it doesn't matter. Jerry west forms the gameplan on intergral things, the others in the front office team executes it. That's it. They matter but the braintrust is important. give the man his credit!

We will never know--or at least not until Lee Jenkins' book comes out in 2024 or so, LOL.

But this is undoubtedly true as well, that Jerry provided cover for every unpopular/questionable move. Had it been Doc, the sh*tstorms would have erupted among a certain segment of the fans, and the Clippers' reputation [esp re Blake, signing him then dumping him] would have taken a beating too.

Read on Twitter

I'm listening to Jovan right now lol. On a podcast.

Yeah, I can't wait to hear about it years later, I hope it was similar like Jerry spoke to shaq.

Jovan on the podcast called Jerry West, "the closer." I think that's appropiate.
Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#64 » by Young Sterling » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:09 am

You know I was kind of thinking about this earlier... but Jerry West may have accidentally traded Blake Griffin a bit too early. He traded him for Tobias Harris, and then shortly after Kawhi requested a trade and then AD followed suit... Blake would have been a superior center piece in a deal than say Demar DeChokeson or the latest batch of Laker rejects.

I guess.. the path to Kawhi could've been a lot less stressful than it was? Maybe Kawhi + AD? Maybe we could've been in Toronto's place last year? Eh who knows. Jerry still the GOAT.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#65 » by esqtvd » Thu Aug 1, 2019 6:20 am

Young Sterling wrote:You know I was kind of thinking about this earlier... but Jerry West may have accidentally traded Blake Griffin a bit too early. He traded him for Tobias Harris, and then shortly after Kawhi requested a trade and then AD followed suit... Blake would have been a superior center piece in a deal than say Demar DeChokeson or the latest batch of Laker rejects.

I guess.. the path to Kawhi could've been a lot less stressful than it was? Maybe Kawhi + AD? Maybe we could've been in Toronto's place last year? Eh who knows. Jerry still the GOAT.

Interesting thought. I do think Kawhi's very first choice was the Clippers, and maybe Blake or Tobias as his wingman might have been enough to attract him here.

As it turned out, no regrets. I do think all those draft picks of ours are crap except maybe the 2026 one but that's 7 years from now. As for adding in the Miami picks, well, Paul George is in the next tier above Blake and Tobias. Depending on what he does in the next 2-4 years, PG just make the HOF.

Now THAT's interesting!!
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#66 » by NippySudz » Thu Aug 1, 2019 7:20 am

Young Sterling wrote:You know I was kind of thinking about this earlier... but Jerry West may have accidentally traded Blake Griffin a bit too early. He traded him for Tobias Harris, and then shortly after Kawhi requested a trade and then AD followed suit... Blake would have been a superior center piece in a deal than say Demar DeChokeson or the latest batch of Laker rejects.

I think he did it right on time. Hindsight is 20/20. There's were rumors that pop doesn't like to trade to in-conference rivals as well.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Credibility by Association 

Post#67 » by Ranma » Thu Aug 1, 2019 10:13 am

Read on Twitter

Jovan Buha, TheAthletic.com (7/29/19)

Jerry West Deflects Credit for Clippers’ Big Summer But Thinks It Is ‘Unheard Of’
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#68 » by QRich3 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 10:17 am

NippySudz wrote:

Lets stop pretending that He's not the main piece in all of this. The other guys matter, but they don't matter as much as Jerry West. He's that integral piece. No, he's not day to day, but it doesn't matter. Jerry west forms the gameplan on intergral things, the others in the front office team executes it. That's it. They matter but the braintrust is important. As Michael Franzese (former mob boss) says "do what you do best and delegate the rest." give the man his credit!

Any source on the Clippers being hesitant to pull the trigger for George and him being the guy who gave the go-ahead, or just assuming cause it suits the narrative? From all I've read about the subject (and it's been quite a lot lol), there was little doubt in the whole front office about pulling the trigger. And why do you credit him with the Griffin trade? like I'm sure he was pushing for it at that point, but why do you think it was his idea alone, and not something they all agreed on, or originated from someone else? From everything that's been reported about how they work, he doesn't form the gameplan at all, that's not his job, his job is to give input about the gameplan when it's forming.

It's these sort of assumptions that annoy me, you conclude that he deserves the lion share of the credit, but it's just because he's popular and you want to believe he did everything.

Not to take anything from the guy, he's a genius and I always agree with everything that comes out of his mouth, but converting him in a deity like that is just exaggeration.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,261

Post#69 » by nickhx2 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 8:13 pm

agree on all points
Young Sterling
Sophomore

Post#70 » by Young Sterling » Thu Aug 1, 2019 9:22 pm

I can't argue there, and I'm definitely not going to complain about where we ended up. You're definitely right that PG by himself is an entire tier of an upgrade over Blake and Tobias.

Btw, I have a buddy who works for the Clippers and he was telling me the other day that everyone within the organization had to sign Non Disclosure Agreements shortly after playoffs ended. Apparently everyone in the organization "knew" Kawhi was coming with substantial certainty very soon after the season ended and wanted to make sure they complied with the laws and kept a lid on everything. Some serious legal badassery.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#71 » by esqtvd » Thu Aug 1, 2019 9:48 pm

Young Sterling wrote:I can't argue there, and I'm definitely not going to complain about where we ended up. You're definitely right that PG by himself is an entire tier of an upgrade over Blake and Tobias.

Btw, I have a buddy who works for the Clippers and he was telling me the other day that everyone within the organization had to sign Non Disclosure Agreements shortly after playoffs ended. Apparently everyone in the organization "knew" Kawhi was coming with substantial certainty very soon after the season ended and wanted to make sure they complied with the laws and kept a lid on everything. Some serious legal badassery.

Looking at all the deals that were agreed to within hours of the official NBA opening of FA negotiations, it looks like the Clippers and Kawhi Leonard were the only ones in the NBA who played straight and followed the rules.

https://www.complex.com/sports/2019/07/nba-investigating-tampering-in-2019-free-agency

News of the tampering investigation follows a free agency period where after a suspicious number of deals for superstar players were announced almost immediately after the window began. Unnamed sources with knowledge of the issue who spoke to ESPN and the New York Times confirmed that the league is investigating on the word of team owners and several agents.

Or not...

Beyond that, the Times reports that several teams are believed to have offered perks that would violate the collective bargaining agreement of the NBA. The Times also points to Leonard's deal, saying that it might have asked for perks outside of salary that would violate league rules. (It was widely reported that the Clippers were helping Kawhi by buying Nike's stake in Leonard's Klaw logo and gifting it to him.)

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver seemingly came down on the side of rewriting the tampering rules rather than enforcing them.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#72 » by NippySudz » Sun Aug 4, 2019 7:21 am

QRich3 wrote:
NippySudz wrote:

Any source on the Clippers being hesitant to pull the trigger for George and him being the guy who gave the go-ahead, or just assuming cause it suits the narrative? From all I've read about the subject (and it's been quite a lot lol), there was little doubt in the whole front office about pulling the trigger. And why do you credit him with the Griffin trade? like I'm sure he was pushing for it at that point, but why do you think it was his idea alone, and not something they all agreed on, or originated from someone else? From everything that's been reported about how they work, he doesn't form the gameplan at all, that's not his job, his job is to give input about the gameplan when it's forming.

It's these sort of assumptions that annoy me, you conclude that he deserves the lion share of the credit, but it's just because he's popular and you want to believe he did everything.

Not to take anything from the guy, he's a genius and I always agree with everything that comes out of his mouth, but converting him in a deity like that is just exaggeration.

Ok, fair enough. I recalled reading something that he was the gave the go-ahead. My apologies on that I can't find that.

There was an a story in the athletic about them being hesitant. The story also indicated that Balmer stopped short at 4 picks and Doc called texted balmer saying Don't look at it as you're getting PG. Look at it as you're getting Kawhi and PG, So Yes, there was some doubt from the front office. They have even alluded this themselves when they talked about it was difficult to trade shai.

I didn't say it was his idea ALONE. I'm saying he's the reason they decided to move on [from blake] and according to Jerry West, He was willing to accept all the fault if trading blake didn't work out.

Going through with the trade would essentially be admitting that re-signing Griffin was a mistake, an ill-conceived attempt to cling to relevance and respectability after losing Paul.

Do it anyway, West urged.

“Don’t be afraid to make that tough decision if you need to,” Ballmer recalled West telling him.

“No one wants to do that, particularly with someone like Blake Griffin,” West says now. “It was very difficult for everyone, especially Steve, because he really liked Blake personally. But this franchise was really stuck. There was nowhere for it to go. You have to figure out how far away you really are and how we can get there.”

If that view makes West cold, too, he is prepared to absorb the criticism, responding with one of his pet phrases: “What is right is not always popular, and what is popular is not always right.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/13/sports/basketball/jerry-west-just-wants-to-feel-wanted.html?smid=tw-nytsports&smtyp=cur

He had the ear of the owner. The owner credited him. The Franchise credited him and called him pretty much a mastermind at the Kawhi-PG press conference. Why don't the fans credit him? he deserves the lionshare of the credit. I didn't say ALL. I said the lionshare, because if it doesn't work out, Jerry west is getting the lionshare of the BLAME. Respectfully, I don't think Lawrence Frank was playing corporate politics when he called him the ‘greatest architect there is in the game.’.

Where did I say he did everything?

I'm not saying West is a GOD or he's the sole reason why the clips are in the position they are in now, but He's an integral part of the organization. Jerry west doesn't rest on his reputation.

To sum it up, If Jerry West isn't a part of the clips, do you think they trade Blake? My personal belief is no. Balmer has spoken about west fondly several times in the media and chose to say that quote to the reporter, seemingly because it must have stuck with him when he pulled the trigger to allow the deal to happen.

Just like how Goldenstate would look different if they traded Klay for Kevin Love. Bob Meyers is a great exec, but if they would have traded Kevin Love for Klay, would they have won 3 championships? :o That's an example of what I mean by integral. He wasn't day to day operations, but his input was heavily valued on important issues.

I don't mean to say he's drafting guys, trading guys, signing guys, and so forth because that's not his position.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#73 » by NippySudz » Sun Aug 4, 2019 8:19 am

esqtvd wrote:
Young Sterling wrote:I can't argue there, and I'm definitely not going to complain about where we ended up. You're definitely right that PG by himself is an entire tier of an upgrade over Blake and Tobias.

Looking at all the deals that were agreed to within hours of the official NBA opening of FA negotiations, it looks like the Clippers and Kawhi Leonard were the only ones in the NBA who played straight and followed the rules.

https://www.complex.com/sports/2019/07/nba-investigating-tampering-in-2019-free-agency

News of the tampering investigation follows a free agency period where after a suspicious number of deals for superstar players were announced almost immediately after the window began. Unnamed sources with knowledge of the issue who spoke to ESPN and the New York Times confirmed that the league is investigating on the word of team owners and several agents.

Or not...

Beyond that, the Times reports that several teams are believed to have offered perks that would violate the collective bargaining agreement of the NBA. The Times also points to Leonard's deal, saying that it might have asked for perks outside of salary that would violate league rules. (It was widely reported that the Clippers were helping Kawhi by buying Nike's stake in Leonard's Klaw logo and gifting it to him.)

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver seemingly came down on the side of rewriting the tampering rules rather than enforcing them.

Well, prior to balmer buying the team, they did violate tampering and was fined 250,000 for giving him side sponsorship.

I'm of the opinion every nba team, including the clippers, does something underneath the table and violates the CBA. Some teams are just dumb enough to get caught.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#74 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Aug 4, 2019 6:08 pm

I think we are generally in the dark as fans on how significant his role is. I think any effort to downplay it is agenda driven or some kind of annoyance that he’s obviously going to be getting the or some of the credit. It’s like a late night tv show host reaching for a Trump joke. *Eyeroll* never saw that coming.

But Ballmer didn’t pay him and then extend him for nothing.

Maybe he’s a forest guy and the others are individual trees guys.

Who knows how much the scouts are picking his brain?

Blake was nearly untradeable and I doubt there were many suitors if any before desperate ass SVG came along. So, I never saw this as a plan to sign Blake and deal him for assets.

It truly felt like we were headed one way and then...someone conceded and said, “ok ok ok ___________ is right. Let’s trade him”

I made this thread because my guess is that blank space is Jerry. Mr. What’s Right isn’t Always Popular and What’s Popular Isn’t Always Right.

Idc that the guess is right or wrong. I just wanted to know how our machine worked in the end.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#75 » by esqtvd » Mon Aug 5, 2019 3:08 am

Quake Griffin wrote:I think we are generally in the dark as fans on how significant his role is. I think any effort to downplay it is agenda driven or some kind of annoyance that he’s obviously going to be getting the or some of the credit. It’s like a late night tv show host reaching for a Trump joke. *Eyeroll* never saw that coming.

But Ballmer didn’t pay him and then extend him for nothing.

Maybe he’s a forest guy and the others are individual trees guys.

Who knows how much the scouts are picking his brain?

Blake was nearly untradeable and I doubt there were many suitors if any before desperate ass SVG came along. So, I never saw this as a plan to sign Blake and deal him for assets.

It truly felt like we were headed one way and then...someone conceded and said, “ok ok ok ___________ is right. Let’s trade him”

I made this thread because my guess is that blank space is Jerry. Mr. What’s Right isn’t Always Popular and What’s Popular Isn’t Always Right.

Idc that the guess is right or wrong. I just wanted to know how our machine worked in the end.

Great post. I'd like to know too and it's occurring to me that Lee Jenkins might be aboard partly to chronicle all this someday, how Ballmer took a dysfunctional organizational structure and a roster quickly approaching its sell-by date and won The Larry. Ballmer's biographer, on duty 24/7. For a billionaire, why the hell not??

In the headhunting biz, we talk about the candidate "giving himself permission" to make a move. That applies to Kawhi leaving the Raptors and also to Ballmer romancing Blake into re-signing but then turning around and giving him the gate.

Did Jerry recommend against maxxing out Blake then finally convince Ballz to dump him? I'm gonna guess no. You let Blake leave as an UFA and we got nothing today--no PG and thus no Kawhi. Tobias brought the unprotected Miami pick, and without it the PG deal with Presti never happens.

I'm gonna guess maxxing Blake was the only choice, but after he proved he could not lead the Clippers as alpha dog, it was maybe West who said so, or maybe it was just West agreeing with what was obvious to everybody.

But if you're Steve Ballmer, having The Logo tell you it's ok to pull the trigger on Blake makes it easy to fire. By all accounts, West helped kill the Klay Thompson deal. Jerry is the organizational backstop. No wild pitches.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#76 » by QRich3 » Mon Aug 5, 2019 11:37 am

No need to go too far the other way, he's definitely important, he's probably the most respected voice in the room, and he definitely carries enough weight to tell Ballmer 'if this transaction goes wrong, blame me' and convince him just like that. Definitely not a reach to think a lot of good stuff happened because he put his weight into it. That doesn't mean he deserves the majority of the credit on any given transaction or that it was inevitably his idea, it doesn't now and it didn't when he was on Oakland. I bet we're not ready to give Doc the same credit for that text on the PG trade (nor should we, in either case).

That said, he does not form the gameplan and he does not delegate anything cause that's not his position. He gives input to the plans the rest of the guys spend their days working on. Even if he nails it every time he opens his mouth (and I believe he does), it's excessive to give him that much credit every time the front office does something well. That's it, no agenda or any nonsense like that, just a very concise point.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Son of the Logo Contracted to Be Team Scout 

Post#77 » by Ranma » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:55 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#78 » by TheNewEra » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:38 am

Maybe takes over for Jerry or slides into the GM role later
Young Sterling
Sophomore

Post#79 » by Young Sterling » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:45 am

TheNewEra wrote:Maybe takes over for Jerry or slides into the GM role later

You read my mind man. Honestly, Imagine his son becomes as good as him or better. He was a great scout for the Lakers. Lakers' main issue was development and fit with its talent.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#80 » by TheNewEra » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:20 am

Young Sterling wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:Maybe takes over for Jerry or slides into the GM role later

You read my mind man. Honestly, Imagine his son becomes as good as him or better. He was a great scout for the Lakers. Lakers' main issue was development and fit with its talent.

Yeah GM role has to be in play eventually. Next off season may let more staff members take job offers to open up slots.

Harkless/Harrell/Green (if he opts out) are the guys that will need new deals

Return to Los Angeles Clippers