ImageImageImageImageImage

OFFICIAL: Avery Bradley traded to Memphis for JaMychal Green & Garrett Temple

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Re: OFFICIAL: Avery Bradley traded to Memphis for JaMychal Green & Garrett Temple 

Post#61 » by Galloisdaman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:00 pm

esqtvd wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:I do not think Avery was the worst player in the world nor do I think he should have been a starter based on his play in LA. I'm happy he is playing better in Memphis. I have no reason not to wish him well. Its not like he was a bad guy while he was here. For whatever reason he just was not a good fit in his time here. I think the trade worked out well for both teams and for the players as well.

Bradley WAS the worst player in the league for about the first 2 months. But people forget that Beverley struggled mightily to come back from injury as well. That's why the Bradley-Beverley tandem got such a bad rap.

As for what Green and Temple bring to the table, we shall see. After pretty good starts, both played themselves out of the rotation in Memphis and then out of town.

Am I sad Avery's gone? Nope. But I also think he didn't take any minutes from someone more deserving.

Avery was pretty bad at times but Bev was bad as well coming off surgery so it was a tough call. Who should go in? Milos? Wallace? There were no easy answers on the roster. I did not think Avery should have continued as a starter based on his play. I felt they should have found a cheap improvement elsewhere. My main 2 concerns for Avery were not from this season alone. He was basically playing the role as starting PG but he has always been a guy that does not have many assists and rarely gets to the FT line. I think he is more a undersized SG than a PG.

I probably should not even discuss Avery because I would rather look ahead than behind. A concern for the playoffs is who will be the primary ball handler. Portland had issues in last years playoffs with people applying pressure on Lillard. Could that be a issue for the Clippers early in games? Late in games I'm fine with Lou or Gallo having the ball. They are not PG but they are calm and if fouled will knocked down the FTs.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Re: OFFICIAL: Avery Bradley traded to Memphis for JaMychal Green & Garrett Temple 

Post#62 » by esqtvd » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:27 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:I do not think Avery was the worst player in the world nor do I think he should have been a starter based on his play in LA. I'm happy he is playing better in Memphis. I have no reason not to wish him well. Its not like he was a bad guy while he was here. For whatever reason he just was not a good fit in his time here. I think the trade worked out well for both teams and for the players as well.

Bradley WAS the worst player in the league for about the first 2 months. But people forget that Beverley struggled mightily to come back from injury as well. That's why the Bradley-Beverley tandem got such a bad rap.

As for what Green and Temple bring to the table, we shall see. After pretty good starts, both played themselves out of the rotation in Memphis and then out of town.

Am I sad Avery's gone? Nope. But I also think he didn't take any minutes from someone more deserving.

Avery was pretty bad at times but Bev was bad as well coming off surgery so it was a tough call. Who should go in? Milos? Wallace? There were no easy answers on the roster. I did not think Avery should have continued as a starter based on his play. I felt they should have found a cheap improvement elsewhere. My main 2 concerns for Avery were not from this season alone. He was basically playing the role as starting PG but he has always been a guy that does not have many assists and rarely gets to the FT line. I think he is more a undersized SG than a PG.

I probably should not even discuss Avery because I would rather look ahead than behind. A concern for the playoffs is who will be the primary ball handler. Portland had issues in last years playoffs with people applying pressure on Lillard. Could that be a issue for the Clippers early in games? Late in games I'm fine with Lou or Gallo having the ball. They are not PG but they are calm and if fouled will knocked down the FTs.

Well, looking ahead and behind, my worry is that Shai is not showing out to be much of a PG. 3 apg is not gonna do it. Avery is a SG and should never have been tasked with PG duties. At the moment, Pat is semi-handling the PG duties--not a lot of assists most nights, but not a lot of TOs either.

If he's not our PG of the future, Shai's going to have to learn to do a lot of the other things, namely 3 and D. He Ds OK but his 3-pt% had shrunk to 33% as of a few weeks ago. He's back up to 36% after shooting an amazing 71% [10-13] over his past 7 games after a crappy February [27%] and a horrendous January [18%]--which is encouraging, but only two 3-point attempts per game is not what you need or want from a SG.

If anybody's on scholarship, it's Shai because Avery and now Shamet have been forced to play out of position to accommodate Shai--if not Pat Bev too. We still don't know what his position is.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#63 » by Galloisdaman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:41 pm

esqtvd wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Well, looking ahead and behind, my worry is that Shai is not showing out to be much of a PG. 3 apg is not gonna do it. Avery is a SG and should never have been tasked with PG duties. At the moment, Pat is semi-handling the PG duties--not a lot of assists most nights, but not a lot of TOs either.

If he's not our PG of the future, Shai's going to have to learn to do a lot of the other things, namely 3 and D. He Ds OK but his 3-pt% had shrunk to 33% as of a few weeks ago. He's back up to 36% after shooting an amazing 71% [10-13] over his past 7 games after a crappy February [27%] and a horrendous January [18%]--which is encouraging, but only two 3-point attempts per game is not what you need or want from a SG.

If anybody's on scholarship, it's Shai because Avery and now Shamet have been forced to play out of position to accommodate Shai--if not Pat Bev too. We still don't know what his position is.

Out of SGA, Sham, and Bev who do you think has the best ball handling and can hold up to playoff pressure?

SGA has a lot going for him but I'm not sure if he is going to be a PG or a SG either in the future.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#64 » by esqtvd » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:20 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
Out of SGA, Sham, and Bev who do you think has the best ball handling and can hold up to playoff pressure?

SGA has a lot going for him but I'm not sure if he is going to be a PG or a SG either in the future.

Yes, Shai doesn't know who he is yet, and neither do we.

Lou 5.3 apg
Pat 3.8 apg
Shai 3.0 apg
Gallo 2.4 apg
Shamet 2.0 apg

here's the problem, though--assists-to-TO ratio

Pat 3.6
Lou 2.2

so far so good, but anything under 2 is considered bad

Gallo 1.7
Shai 1.7

this is why I went on my Shai mini-rant: 1.7 isn't gonna cut it

[Shamet is 2.5 and Temple is 3.4 but neither is thought of as a PG]
[Bradley was 1.6, BTW]
[Austin Rivers is 3.3, CP is 2.8 and Harden is 1.5]]

http://www.espn.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/lac/table/game/sort/assistTurnoverRatio/dir/desc
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#65 » by Galloisdaman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:25 pm

esqtvd wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:

Lou 5.3 apg
Pat 3.8 apg
Shai 3.0 apg
Gallo 2.4 apg
Shamet 2.0 apg

Pat 3.6
Lou 2.2

Gallo 1.7
Shai 1.7

[Bradley was 1.6, BTW]

http://www.espn.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/lac/table/game/sort/assistTurnoverRatio/dir/desc

Assists aside I'm just wondering who among the starting ball handlers could hold up under trapping pressure defense in the playoffs. Dame admitted he had issues with that last season.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#66 » by esqtvd » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:33 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:

Lou 5.3 apg
Pat 3.8 apg
Shai 3.0 apg
Gallo 2.4 apg
Shamet 2.0 apg

Pat 3.6
Lou 2.2

Gallo 1.7
Shai 1.7

[Bradley was 1.6, BTW]

Assists aside I'm just wondering who among the starting ball handlers could hold up under trapping pressure defense in the playoffs. Dame admitted he had issues with that last season.

yes, it's a worry

that's why I did turnovers
you can also go to turnover ratio
Milos was horrendous at 21.9%, something his fans always missed

Shai 12.3
Bradley 10.4
Wallace 10.4
Lou 9.3
Pat 9.1
Gallo 7.4
Shamet 6.5 [he played some PG in college--might be our panic button]
Temple 6.3 [ditto]

Thornwell 19.4--forget that, he doesn't smell the ball in the playoffs

https://stats.nba.com/players/advanced/?sort=TM_TOV_PCT&dir=1&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612746
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Broken with Bradley 

Post#67 » by Ranma » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:09 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
esqtvd
RealGM

Re: Broken with Bradley 

Post#68 » by esqtvd » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:57 am

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Meh. Gortat was the problem. Lumping him in with Bradley to attack Doc is garbage.

Zubac is performing adequately and Bradley is doing well for the Grizz.

Gortat will never see an NBA court again. Bradley is averaging 16 ppg for the Grizz on 46%/38% shooting and is still a plus defender. It's not all that complicated.
Ranma
RealGM

Trading Bradley Made Possible by Raptors Dealing for Gasol 

Post#69 » by Ranma » Sun Jun 9, 2019 2:03 pm

Brian Windhorst, ESPN.com (6/3/19)
The Clippers wanted to trade Avery Bradley

For days last February, the Memphis Grizzlies were in trade talks about Gasol. The Raptors were one of the teams making an offer for him. There was competition, especially from the Charlotte Hornets. Plus, the Raptors were looking elsewhere, including talking to the New Orleans Pelicans about Nikola Mirotic.

Finally, on deadline day, the Raptors improved their offer to Memphis, and the Grizzlies decided to take their deal. It was a large trade with Jonas Valanciunas, Delon Wright, CJ Miles and a 2024 second-round going for Gasol. But there was an issue: The trade required the Grizzlies to take on salary for this season and put them in danger of going into the luxury tax. That was a dealbreaker.

Memphis had to find another trade where they could offload salary. The Grizzlies had talked to the LA Clippers about Avery Bradley, but they couldn't tell if the Clippers were truly interested. The Grizzlies called the Clippers back. LA was interested, and the teams put together a deal with Garrett Temple and JaMychal Green, which lowered their payroll to a position where they were comfortably out of the tax.

So Gasol was off to Toronto, the veteran last piece for this team that is now on the cusp of a title.

Their chances are now way greater than 5%.

Five Moments That Helped Pave Toronto's Road to the NBA Finals
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Re: Trading Bradley Made Possible by Raptors Dealing for Gasol 

Post#70 » by mkwest » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:58 am

Ranma wrote:Brian Windhorst, ESPN.com (6/3/19)
The Clippers wanted to trade Avery Bradley

For days last February, the Memphis Grizzlies were in trade talks about Gasol. The Raptors were one of the teams making an offer for him. There was competition, especially from the Charlotte Hornets. Plus, the Raptors were looking elsewhere, including talking to the New Orleans Pelicans about Nikola Mirotic.

Finally, on deadline day, the Raptors improved their offer to Memphis, and the Grizzlies decided to take their deal. It was a large trade with Jonas Valanciunas, Delon Wright, CJ Miles and a 2024 second-round going for Gasol. But there was an issue: The trade required the Grizzlies to take on salary for this season and put them in danger of going into the luxury tax. That was a dealbreaker.

Memphis had to find another trade where they could offload salary. The Grizzlies had talked to the LA Clippers about Avery Bradley, but they couldn't tell if the Clippers were truly interested. The Grizzlies called the Clippers back. LA was interested, and the teams put together a deal with Garrett Temple and JaMychal Green, which lowered their payroll to a position where they were comfortably out of the tax.

So Gasol was off to Toronto, the veteran last piece for this team that is now on the cusp of a title.

Their chances are now way greater than 5%.

Five Moments That Helped Pave Toronto's Road to the NBA Finals

Crazy that some of the deadline deals just kind of fell in the Clippers' lap.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#71 » by Vae Victus » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:06 am

Crazy indeed, freeing up that extra 2 mil from Bradley's 2nd year guarantee really helps with the salary cap squeeze to fit in 2 max FAs. The fact that LAC can trade Gallo for pure cap, sign a 35% and 30% max, AND then re-sign PatBev over the cap due to his caphold, makes it really crazy how this offseason can unfold so well AND have great role players backing up the superstars.

Just goes to show, being patient, holding your cards tight to your chest, and doing your homework, can pay off in a huge way.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#72 » by esqtvd » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:01 am

Vae Victus wrote:Crazy indeed, freeing up that extra 2 mil from Bradley's 2nd year guarantee really helps with the salary cap squeeze to fit in 2 max FAs. The fact that LAC can trade Gallo for pure cap, sign a 35% and 30% max, AND then re-sign PatBev over the cap due to his caphold, makes it really crazy how this offseason can unfold so well AND have great role players backing up the superstars.

Just goes to show, being patient, holding your cards tight to your chest, and doing your homework, can pay off in a huge way.

It also suggests that the Clips weren't actively shopping Bradley, or if they were, for all their FO brilliance, they weren't the ones to propose this deal, which not only helped us for the sal cap next year, but helped the Grizz avoid the lux tax. An ace deal for all.

Same with the Zubac trade. The Lakers called US.

As dumped on as Bradley was in the first half of the season, his second half was adequate and his month with the Grizz was quite good. If there's one thing this year's playoffs showed, it's how thin NBA benches are even at the championship level. OTOH, Bradley's $13M /year is unaffordable at the championship level.

I really don't know what he's like as a teammate and veteran leader, but if he's more a plus than a minus, there's an NBA job out there for him. The 2 yr/$25M deal was always pretty much a fiction since the 2nd year was only guaranteed @ $2M.

That's not even the MLE, which I think Bradley will get somewhere and be a rotation player, maybe even on a contender.

But enough about Bradley, whom I defended only from the accusation that Doc was cheating other Gs out of minutes out of favoritism. That was garbage. Pat Bev was struggling even worse and Jerome Robinson is still not ready for prime time even after dominating in G-League, and let alone as a raw rook last fall.

Like Baby Doc, I'll follow and root for AB just because of all the garbage that was heaped on him in Clipperville. I think he's ok, one of those guys who always ends up in somebody's rotation somewhere despite all the dogging. We shall see.

Pat Bev seems to still consider himself a Clipper. This is my priority. If I'm a FA, I will come play with this guy. We gotta work something out with him--I feel like Pat is more Mr. Clipper than anyone who's ever been called Mr. Clipper.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,160

Post#73 » by og15 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:09 am

Oddly enough, Bradley did not feel the love and said he was being "misused" while he was with the Clippers.

“[Coach] just told me he wants me to go out there and play basketball, get back to playing like myself. When I was [on the] Clippers, my role was so limited. I was the cutter and a guy that just really sat in a corner… [JB Bickerstaff] wants me to get back to playing how I played in Boston. Hearing that was like a breath of fresh air for me. I know I’m going to play harder on the defensive end every single night, but I needed that confidence to go out there and start making shots, start playing how I used to.”

https://hoopshype.com/2019/02/13/memphis-grizzlies-avery-bradley-clippers-trade-role/

I guess he had an argument with how he ended up playing and shooting while on Memphis, but just interesting how that plays out. Role and opportunity was different, though maybe not different enough for the large change. Doc left Boston after Bradley's 2nd season. It was the season right after Doc left that Bradley became more of a scorer. It is possible that Doc was still viewing him the same way he viewed him when he coached him, while Bradley had changed as a player from then.
Ranma
RealGM

But Bradley's Value is Supposedly Unstatable 

Post#74 » by Ranma » Sat Jul 6, 2019 4:08 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#75 » by esqtvd » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:50 pm

esqtvd wrote:As dumped on as Bradley was in the first half of the season, his second half was adequate and his month with the Grizz was quite good. If there's one thing this year's playoffs showed, it's how thin NBA benches are even at the championship level. OTOH, Bradley's $13M /year is unaffordable at the championship level.

I really don't know what he's like as a teammate and veteran leader, but if he's more a plus than a minus, there's an NBA job out there for him. The 2 yr/$25M deal was always pretty much a fiction since the 2nd year was only guaranteed @ $2M.

That's not even the MLE, which I think Bradley will get somewhere and be a rotation player, maybe even on a contender.

But enough about Bradley, whom I defended only from the accusation that Doc was cheating other Gs out of minutes out of favoritism. That was garbage. Pat Bev was struggling even worse and Jerome Robinson is still not ready for prime time even after dominating in G-League, and let alone as a raw rook last fall.

Like Baby Doc, I'll follow and root for AB just because of all the garbage that was heaped on him in Clipperville. I think he's ok, one of those guys who always ends up in somebody's rotation somewhere despite all the dogging. We shall see.

Pat Bev seems to still consider himself a Clipper. This is my priority. If I'm a FA, I will come play with this guy. We gotta work something out with him--I feel like Pat is more Mr. Clipper than anyone who's ever been called Mr. Clipper.

Always trust content from TVD :wink: He won't get the MLE, probably won't get more than the minimum, but the rest holds. Especially about Pat.
Ranma
RealGM

Bradley Joins Enemy Across the Hall 

Post#76 » by Ranma » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:21 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,744

Post#77 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:42 pm

How good was this trade? I mean we already knew it was addition by subtraction at the time, but Green has been such a great get (and re-get) for us.

It's not just the big moves that have re-made this roster (and there have been a few), it's been all the smaller positive value moves that add up to make the big moves possible and still preserve our depth- trading for Green, getting Harkless AND a #1 that got funneled into the PG trade, Zubac (even if it just fell into our laps), etc.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#78 » by Vae Victus » Mon Jul 8, 2019 6:22 pm

This trade was epically good. Massive upgrade via addition by subtraction and JaGreen providing good mins towards the end of season and playoffs. Then JaGreen fell in love with the Clippers and is staying at a super bargain price when comparable players are getting 2-3 times more money.

And the trade keeps on giving. Bradley is now a Laker signed on a similar 1+1 player option for 10mil with the Lakers. Good god, wtf are the Lakers thinking, Bradley was HORRIFIC for a year and a half before having 14 decent games with the Grizz.

Lakers gonna get a rude surprise.
Ranma
RealGM

Ball and Numbers Don't Lie 

Post#79 » by Ranma » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:19 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: Ball and Numbers Don't Lie 

Post#80 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Jul 9, 2019 1:28 pm

Damn.

It's over.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers