ImageImageImageImageImage

R1G5: Los Angeles Clippers @ Golden State Warriors - Wednesday 4/24/19 on TNT @ 7:30 PM (PT)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: R1G5: Los Angeles Clippers @ Golden State Warriors - Wednesday 4/24/19 on TNT @ 7:30 PM (PT) 

Post#81 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:19 pm

I had a fear that Dame’s GWS was going to overshadow our Game 2 come back.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: R1G5: Los Angeles Clippers @ Golden State Warriors - Wednesday 4/24/19 on TNT @ 7:30 PM (PT) 

Post#82 » by Neddy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:29 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:I had a fear that Dame’s GWS was going to overshadow our Game 2 come back.

I live here in rural Oregon. Lillard just became a local legend. I have never seen this many old farm boys rocking Blazers gears. I am happy to see different groups of people unite for something. anything.
ehhhhh f it.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#83 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:56 pm

Don Tommy wrote:Remember that there were people here that wanted to tank and keep our draft pick, because that would be better than getting swept by Golden State? Making the playoffs is ALWAYS the better answer! Even if we get blown out by 50 on Friday, our young guns have learned more by fighting to get into the playoffs than the ever would have by tanking. And the experience they’re getting right now cannot be manufactured any other way!
From a growth standpoint, from a FA destination standpoint, and from getting rid of the negative publicity we had from the Lob City era, this year has been awesome!

I'll admit, I thought tanking would have been the better scenario after that brutal stretch to end the regular season, but the way this team has played this series is totally worth giving up the pick.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#84 » by MartinToVaught » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:58 pm

esqtvd wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:I am so proud of this team, man. They never, ever give up.

glad you're happy bro
on one of the greatest nights in Clipper history
but sorry

seeing the FIRE DOC sig makes this post a turd in the punchbowl

nice to hear from you but

ugly

My sig still isn't changing until we make the WCF. As great as this season has been, one season isn't enough to make me forget about the past playoff failures or the Austin nepotism situation.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,747

Post#85 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:46 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
Don Tommy wrote:Remember that there were people here that wanted to tank and keep our draft pick, because that would be better than getting swept by Golden State? Making the playoffs is ALWAYS the better answer! Even if we get blown out by 50 on Friday, our young guns have learned more by fighting to get into the playoffs than the ever would have by tanking. And the experience they’re getting right now cannot be manufactured any other way!
From a growth standpoint, from a FA destination standpoint, and from getting rid of the negative publicity we had from the Lob City era, this year has been awesome!

I'll admit, I thought tanking would have been the better scenario after that brutal stretch to end the regular season, but the way this team has played this series is totally worth giving up the pick.

That end stretch wasn't that brutal, we lost to some better teams when we should have at least won 1. The only truly brutal loss was to the Lakers.

It's hard to imagine a scenario where we would have missed the playoffs, given who our team is. For that to happen would have really required a brutal stretch of basketball...
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#86 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:31 pm

Me.

A lot of my concern with losing this pick was alleviated when we got all the assets we got for Tobias.

This organization values the draft and draft capital.

I won’t lay out each concern but we are flexible and able to add to our rosters in a number of ways moving forward...no matter what happens.

#StockedFullOfAssets
#WeDevelopPlayers
#NoMoreDocRiversScholarships
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#87 » by esqtvd » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:32 pm

Yup. You learn nothing by playing bad basketball. Look at the Lakers' young "core." 6 years of tanking and they still aren't ready for prime time.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,204

Post#88 » by Max Headrom » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:07 pm

A lot of people wanted to avoid the Warriors, I didn't mind drawing them in the first round simply because I knew this team wasn't gonna lay down for anyone. And there's no better pitch to free agents than seeing this team push the Avengers to possibly a game 7 with a chance to win with no stars on the team. The young guys got thrown into the deep end in this first round and outside of Zu, their head is still above water.

Also, f*$k the Warriors, I hate them...
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#89 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:58 pm

Max Headrom wrote:A lot of people wanted to avoid the Warriors, I didn't mind drawing them in the first round simply because I knew this team wasn't gonna lay down for anyone. And there's no better pitch to free agents than seeing this team push the Avengers to possibly a game 7 with a chance to win with no stars on the team. The young guys got thrown into the deep end in this first round and outside of Zu, their head is still above water.

I also just didn’t want to hold an L to them when we don’t have to.

As a Dodger fan, I’d gladly pick skipping the playoffs over losing a series to the Giants. The Warriors are that level to me.

An L is an L.
5-10 years from now, I’ll remember this as an L....not a moral victory.....

If we don’t pull off the “impossible”.
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,204

Post#90 » by Max Headrom » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:27 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
Max Headrom wrote:A lot of people wanted to avoid the Warriors, I didn't mind drawing them in the first round simply because I knew this team wasn't gonna lay down for anyone. And there's no better pitch to free agents than seeing this team push the Avengers to possibly a game 7 with a chance to win with no stars on the team. The young guys got thrown into the deep end in this first round and outside of Zu, their head is still above water.

I also just didn’t want to hold an L to them when we don’t have to.

As a Dodger fan, I’d gladly pick skipping the playoffs over losing a series to the Giants. The Warriors are that level to me.

An L is an L.
5-10 years from now, I’ll remember this as an L....not a moral victory.....

If we don’t pull off the “impossible”.

I look at it as the ultimate measuring stick in terms of where we are as a team though. Not even about a moral victory for me. We're playing the most stacked team in the league and based on this series, we can see the team is one or two stars away from being legit title contenders. And as a Clipper fan, that's pretty incredible that it's a REAL possibility. Hell, if Gallo and Lou showed up on game 4, we'd be on the brink of eliminating them.
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#91 » by mkwest » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:42 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Beaten By Lou 

Post#92 » by Ranma » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:29 am

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Don Tommy
Senior
And1: 283

Post#93 » by Don Tommy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:38 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:I am so proud of this team, man. They never, ever give up.

glad you're happy bro
but sorry

ugly

My sig still isn't changing until we make the WCF. As great as this season has been, one season isn't enough to make me forget about the past playoff failures or the Austin nepotism situation.

Think of it this way. If Doc hadn’t been so determined on starting Avery Bradley and bring Pat Bev off the bench, we may have won few more games in the middle of the season. One more win and we’re playing Denver instead of Golden State. Yes, Doc has done a great job this year but that will continue to be a huge stain on the season.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#94 » by Galloisdaman » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:56 pm

All depends on their view. Clipps may have beat other teams but GS was/is expected to be champion so this is almost like the Clips playing the champs. Its like a finals in the first round for me. :)
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#95 » by playaloc916 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:14 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:All depends on their view. Clipps may have beat other teams but GS was/is expected to be champion so this is almost like the Clips playing the champs. Its like a finals in the first round for me. :)

Lol, I never actually thought of it like that. That makes sense :lol: It's possible we might have still lost in the first round and never faced the defending champs. No shame in losing to them, especially while putting up a valiant effort. Might actually mean more to some free agents...
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#96 » by esqtvd » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:56 pm

Don Tommy wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
glad you're happy bro
but sorry

ugly

Think of it this way. If Doc hadn’t been so determined on starting Avery Bradley and bring Pat Bev off the bench, we may have won few more games in the middle of the season. One more win and we’re playing Denver instead of Golden State. Yes, Doc has done a great job this year but that will continue to be a huge stain on the season.

The "stain" is imaginary. People forget that Beverley struggled mightily early in the season too, and forget that Bradley was playing well after December. Each one had trouble getting going after season-ending injuries in 2018.

Beverley was also playing selfishly and was hurting the team. When he finally got the message, he got the minutes. Doc gets credit here, not blame.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/la-sp-patrick-beverley-clippers-20190409-story.html

By rejecting screens on pick-and-roll plays, Beverley drove Rivers “absolutely insane.” By freelancing on defense, fueled by his reputation as one of the NBA’s most irritating defenders, he veered away from his team’s gameplan.

He and Rivers wanted the same thing — wins. But each had his own ideas about Beverley’s role and how he could best help.

It took a November benching and a sit-down chat for Beverley to get back to heeding the advice he’s shared with so many. Teammates believe it is no coincidence that they have played some of the best basketball in the league since.

“I changed my energy, just started to become more selfless,” Beverley said. “Everything else kind of fell in place from there. Put the team first.”
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#97 » by Spud2nique » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:01 pm

Beat the scrubs!

Sincerely,

The entire league

Ps I love the pest.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers