ImageImageImageImageImage

Gallo's Got to Go If Clips Want to Compete for Championship

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Gallo's Got to Go If Clips Want to Compete for Championship 

Post#1 » by Ranma » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:01 am

I've called Gallo the Clippers' best player this season even when Tobias Harris was a member of the team. However, I think it's time that we move on from him if we want to seriously compete for a championship, especially with his current cap hit. He's fine as long as he's not the first or second option on offense, but he doesn't look cut out for the playoffs. His career postseason statistics have him significantly below his career regular season numbers with regards to FG%, 3P%, PPG, and FT%. The eye test also shows him not comfortable handling the ball, finishing at the rim, or even making wide-open shots when play is elevated in the playoffs.

His inability to stay healthy over his career is obviously a concern, but I'm actually encouraged with his increased bulk. He just needs to adjust his game accordingly. Right now, though, he just can't be counted on as a primary or even secondary player for a contending team. I'm not even advocating trading draft picks to unload him, but I see him as a placeholder with his expiring deal or salary cap filler for next season. We can certainly benefit from his regular season output before next season's trade deadline assuming he'll be healthy, but I think we have to look to deal him if we can get positive assets in return.

Also, what is up with Gallo not watching basketball outside of playing games and presumably film sessions? That might explain why he doesn't play as well as he should given his natural ability. It'd be like a quarterback who doesn't want to study game film. Players should be able to learn from watching games even outside of the job.

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Bubble Boy Justin Russo Blocked Me on Twitter 

Post#2 » by Ranma » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:11 am

What's funny is that I've called out both Justin Russo and LA Clippers Film on Twitter recently for failing to see the obvious when they keep making excuses for Gallinari with their respective tweets. Now Russo just blocked me on Twitter for calling him out for another one of his tweets defending Gallo. Both are great resources for providing insight, news and videos but they are hardly infallible, especially when it comes to player assessments.

I've also called out Russo for his take that Tobias Harris is somehow worth a max contract. What's ironic is that he even recently posted a quote from Jerry West stating how there are only 4-5 players worthy of a max contract and that spending salary cap space just for the sake of spending it is typically "fool's gold". Does Russo honestly think Tobias was one of those 4-5 players? Because I'm sure the Logo doesn't, which is why he was traded from the Clippers in the first place.

You know what's another fool's errand? Expecting a 9-year vet like Gallinari to suddenly be something that he hasn't been, especially when he apparently doesn't seem as focused to improving or adjusting like most other players are committed to doing.

His stated reason for blocking me is that he was tired of my negativity. Apparently, dude cannot distinguish between realistic expectations and negativity. If he wants to live in a bubble, by all means, go ahead and do so, but he shouldn't be going on social media expecting not to be called out for his gibberish and nonsense. Like I've always said, people are accountable for the words they post online.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

The Ringer Also Thinks It's Time to Move Onto Bigger and Better Things 

Post#3 » by Ranma » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:23 am

Read on Twitter
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Re: Gallo's Got to Go If Clips Want to Compete for Championship 

Post#4 » by mttwlsn16 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:37 am

I agree. I like Gallo and he's a good player (I remember very early in the season saying he was going to be a disaster. I was wrong) but if we trade him and his 20ish mil we would be even more amazingly set up to acquire basically anyone we want this offseason.
Could realistically get Kawhi AND KD while still keeping Lou, Trez, Bev etc.

Also, we badly need a center. And I'd like to have Jamychal Green back as a reserve guy. He impressed me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 774

Post#5 » by donemilio21 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:20 pm

I think Gallo is a great complementary piece, and most would agree. He can be the 3rd best offensive option on a championship team. For us though, I think he will be a good and valuable trade chip this offseason.
He played really well, shot well, defended well, and most importantly he was able to play more games than he did since his rookie year, but there is no guarantee that he would not miss 30-40+ games next season due to injuries.
His value is all time high, weshouldn't actively shop him but hwe should look into trading him in a package for a better player, if we do have the opportunity.
evevale
Lead Assistant
And1: 16,746

Post#6 » by evevale » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:40 pm

Was a big fan of Gallo back when he was on the Knicks and I'm still a big fan of him now. He's an unselfish, versatile player who is also a likable, good person. I agree though he shouldn't be the team's primary option and would be best suited as a 2nd or 3rd option.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#7 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:23 pm

I like him. He needs less responsibility as one of our go to scorers.

If he’s in with Kawhi next year, I have no issue with it. He shouldn’t get in the way of a 2nd star signing here though.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

Put Mark Cuban on Speed Dial 

Post#8 » by Ranma » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:58 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#9 » by Galloisdaman » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:51 pm

Gallo would never say it but I believe Gallo was playing through a sore back especially early in the series. Balls he would normally dunk on all season became layin attempts. In those layins even the announcers mentioned he was not getting any lift. I believe that threw off his shooting and defense. During the season Gallo was much more spry. He kept up with the Portland guards for 30-60 feet then had a block and forced an airball. A healthy Gallo doesn't miss 5 free throws IMO. If you want to trade him then trade him but I'm actually proud of how he grinded through whatever was bothering him to average around 20ppg for the series. I think the average NBA starter is over 20 million now so Gallos contract will be fine for any team.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#10 » by Vae Victus » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:26 pm

Gallo is only gone if the Clips pull off a miracle and get the best possible FA haul in Kawhi and KD.

He's had an amazing season, but yea, personally i wouldnt want to try to roll the dice again on his health.

Otherwise Gallo is gonna be here for another year or be used as salary filler to make a move for a disgruntled star player.

Heh imagine if the Logo somehow Jedi mind tricks NOP and get them to accept a Gallo, Shamet, MIA 2021, PHI 2020 package for AD :P
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,747

Post#11 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:10 pm

donemilio21 wrote:I think Gallo is a great complementary piece, and most would agree. He can be the 3rd best offensive option on a championship team. For us though, I think he will be a good and valuable trade chip this offseason.
He played really well, shot well, defended well, and most importantly he was able to play more games than he did since his rookie year, but there is no guarantee that he would not miss 30-40+ games next season due to injuries.
His value is all time high, weshouldn't actively shop him but hwe should look into trading him in a package for a better player, if we do have the opportunity.

Vae Victus wrote:Gallo is only gone if the Clips pull off a miracle and get the best possible FA haul in Kawhi and KD.

He's had an amazing season, but yea, personally i wouldnt want to try to roll the dice again on his health.

Otherwise Gallo is gonna be here for another year or be used as salary filler to make a move for a disgruntled star player.

Heh imagine if the Logo somehow Jedi mind tricks NOP and get them to accept a Gallo, Shamet, MIA 2021, PHI 2020 package for AD :P

He's a very nice player and earns a fair salary as long as he's reasonably healthy. The good thing is his salary next year doesn't prevent us from signing a max player, which then would slot him in right as that 3rd piece.

I'm all for trading him if the opportunity to bag both KD and KL arises, but I'm assuming that won't happen. Both are realistic targets for us, but both also have other potential landing spots. I guess I sorta see it as a roughly 30% chance for each- so a better than 50% chance of getting one, but only a 10% chance of signing both.

Of course our FO will be prepared for all scenarios, including ones involving a different 2nd max FA (though most of those aren't nearly as desirable for different reasons such as fit, age, etc.)
Ranma
RealGM

Gallo Supposedly Not Difficult to Move 

Post#12 » by Ranma » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:57 am

Read on Twitter

Ranma
RealGM

Changes in Store 

Post#13 » by Ranma » Thu May 2, 2019 5:59 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Ranma
RealGM

Trade Scenarios Presented by Ethan Smith of Clipperholics 

Post#14 » by Ranma » Sat May 25, 2019 7:31 pm

I don't necessarily endorse the proposals presented by Smith, however, I welcome tweaks and alternatives to them for an appealing deal that could not only clear cap space to sign a 2nd star player, but also possibly add assets for a deal that enables us to either acquire Anthony Davis or use to find prospects to develop in the future.

The proposal with the Pelicans would be fairly ideal if it didn't include Shai and even better without Trezz as well. I've been thinking that a deal with the Mavericks makes the most sense but was hoping for a future first-round pick, however, that may not be at all realistic.

Ethan Smith, Clipperholics.com (5/22/19)

Possible Trade Packages for Danilo Gallinari
Ranma
RealGM

Atlanta Off List of Potential Destinations 

Post#15 » by Ranma » Thu Jun 6, 2019 10:47 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#16 » by psimanic1 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 12:42 pm

How much you guys need to save in a trade to free max space? Would Barton do it?
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#17 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:09 pm

Our FO is not going to move Gallo unless they already have the next move figured out, so in that sense I'm fine with whatever happens in a Gallo trade.

In a vacuum however, there's obviously nothing to be gained by giving up assets to move him. He more than earned his salary last season and more likely than not will do the same next season IMO. And with KD's injury I'm not sure what scenario demands we give up assets to trade a quality player.

The ideal landing spot for him is a team looking to get over the playoff hump, but those are the teams likely to be capped out and needing to send equal salary in return. That doesn't help us, unless it's a JR Smith type contract with only a team option left.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Re: Trade Scenarios Presented by Ethan Smith of Clipperholics 

Post#18 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:19 pm

Ranma wrote:I don't necessarily endorse the proposals presented by Smith, however, I welcome tweaks and alternatives to them for an appealing deal that could not only clear cap space to sign a 2nd star player, but also possibly add assets for a deal that enables us to either acquire Anthony Davis or use to find prospects to develop in the future.

The proposal with the Pelicans would be fairly ideal if it didn't include Shai and even better without Trezz as well. I've been thinking that a deal with the Mavericks makes the most sense but was hoping for a future first-round pick, however, that may not be at all realistic.

Ethan Smith, Clipperholics.com (5/22/19)

Possible Trade Packages for Danilo Gallinari

The Justin Jackson one is intriguing, in that instead of just trying to dump Gallo's salary we are taking a young prospect in return. I don't know if JJ is a future scrub who got hot for a few games or budding All-Star, but if we do trade Gallo I would suspect this is the type of deal we would pursue (just like getting Shamet ended up being a significant part of the Harris trade.)

I am guessing that Jerry West (and rest of our FO) is better than average at identifying talent, especially amongst players who have actually NBA minutes already that we can study.

If such a deal can be found (where we're basically trading Gallo's proven production in return for a younger prospect), then the Clippers could do that regardless of what happens with our FA targets- it's sort of like a small scale version of the Tobias trade. :lol: That is much better than flat out giving up assets for someone to take Gallo's salary (which only happens if we need the cap space for an impending signing and have exhausted all other options.)
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#19 » by TucsonClip » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:03 am

First time seeing this thread, and I agree with Ranma's OP.

I believed Gallo would have a bounce back season, assuming he stayed relatively healthy, which he did. He was very good a majority of the season, and a crucial piece that helped get us in the playoffs. However, and I will admit, he looked gassed or bothered by his back during the playoffs... He isnt going to put us over the top. If hes our legit third option, thats a valuable guy. You can make the case he might be that with a max slot filled and Lou still on the roster.

Unfortunately, he just doesnt have enough to compete against the elite talents in a seven game series. He was pushed around, the defense was too tight/he wasnt getting his clean looks, and he really struggled with the physicality on the block. The mismatches he provided during the regular season waned in the playoffs, and in fact, he turned into the mismatch the other way with the Warriors hunting him. Then there was the extra step he needed attacking off the dribble, the leverage he needed via floor spacing on a mismatch in the post, the quicker close outs to him on the perimeter, ect. Im ready to move on, assuming we are able to improve the roster.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#20 » by Galloisdaman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:07 pm

TucsonClip wrote:First time seeing this thread, and I agree with Ranma's OP.

I believed Gallo would have a bounce back season, assuming he stayed relatively healthy, which he did. He was very good a majority of the season, and a crucial piece that helped get us in the playoffs. However, and I will admit, he looked gassed or bothered by his back during the playoffs... He isnt going to put us over the top. If hes our legit third option, thats a valuable guy. You can make the case he might be that with a max slot filled and Lou still on the roster.

Unfortunately, he just doesnt have enough to compete against the elite talents in a seven game series. He was pushed around, the defense was too tight/he wasnt getting his clean looks, and he really struggled with the physicality on the block. The mismatches he provided during the regular season waned in the playoffs, and in fact, he turned into the mismatch the other way with the Warriors hunting him. Then there was the extra step he needed attacking off the dribble, the leverage he needed via floor spacing on a mismatch in the post, the quicker close outs to him on the perimeter, ect. Im ready to move on, assuming we are able to improve the roster.

Remember how bad Gallo looked while injured in 2017-18? Could be a big mistake to ignore how much better he looked in the 68 games of the 2018-19 regular season while focusing entirely on 6 playoff games where he was rumored to have played through some back pain. What impressed me is he never quit. He kept grinding through and started to come get better in games 5 and 6. Despite all his struggles (he had many) he still grinded out almost 20ppg which made him the teams 2nd leading playoff scorer (and I think their leading steal guy). Gallo is not a #1 star but he could play on most championship teams. He was clearly the guy the Warriors focused most on in the starting lineup. Keep in mind this was the starting lineup.

Gallo-19.8ppg
SGA-13.7ppg
Bev-9.8ppg
Shammy- 7.7ppg
Zubac-5.0ppg
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D

Return to Los Angeles Clippers